BaillieuWatch (Read 65702 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #1260 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:00am

The Brumby legacy.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #1261 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 3:47pm

Opposition ridicules train toilet plan

Fri Mar 25, 2011

Protective Services Officers (PSOs) to be deployed at Melbourne's train stations may need to be
picked up by police to use the toilet.

The pledge to have two PSOs at every Melbourne train station after dark was one of the Baillieu Government's key election pledges.

Yesterday, the first piece of legislation to make that happen passed through Parliament, with Labor's support.

Around half of Melbourne's railway stations do not have toilet facilities, and many of them have no shelter.

In Parliament yesterday, Upper House Government MP Richard Dalla-Riva said regular police officers could be used to take the PSOs to a toilet.

"It may be that you have a [divisional] van with an extra seat that is cruising past the station," he told Parliament.

"It may be that the police officers get a call saying that a PSO needs to go to the gents or the ladies, or they want to have a break or whatever."

Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews says that would be a gross waste of police resources.

"To think that operational police could be taken away from fighting crime to take protective services [officers] on
toilet runs
, that is a damning indictment on this Government," he said.

"They are in another world if they think having operational police and PSOs riding around
looking for a toilet, is fighting crime
."

He has also questioned whether harsh working conditions may make it harder for the Government to recruit the 940 new officers.

"What worker would want to be
at a train station in the dead of night with no toilet facilities, no shelter from the weather
," he said.

"This is an
under-costed
policy and
under-funded
policy and an
under-done
policy."

The Victorian Police Association says the Government's plan to put PSOs at every Melbourne railway station at night has
not been properly planned.

The association's assistant secretary, Bruce Atkinson, says the idea is absurd.

"We're not sure that the Government, in opposition, properly thought through this initiative," he said.

"We're fairly certain they didn't consider the logistical and administrative nightmare that they're just about to embark on in trying to bring this initiative to fruition."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/25/3173648.htm

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Lobo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #1262 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 5:52pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Mar 28th, 2011 at 3:47pm:
Opposition ridicules train toilet plan

Fri Mar 25, 2011

Protective Services Officers (PSOs) to be deployed at Melbourne's train stations may need to be
picked up by police to use the toilet.

The pledge to have two PSOs at every Melbourne train station after dark was one of the Baillieu Government's key election pledges.

Yesterday, the first piece of legislation to make that happen passed through Parliament, with Labor's support.

Around half of Melbourne's railway stations do not have toilet facilities, and many of them have no shelter.

In Parliament yesterday, Upper House Government MP Richard Dalla-Riva said regular police officers could be used to take the PSOs to a toilet.

"It may be that you have a [divisional] van with an extra seat that is cruising past the station," he told Parliament.

"It may be that the police officers get a call saying that a PSO needs to go to the gents or the ladies, or they want to have a break or whatever."

Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews says that would be a gross waste of police resources.

"To think that operational police could be taken away from fighting crime to take protective services [officers] on
toilet runs
, that is a damning indictment on this Government," he said.

"They are in another world if they think having operational police and PSOs riding around
looking for a toilet, is fighting crime
."

He has also questioned whether harsh working conditions may make it harder for the Government to recruit the 940 new officers.

"What worker would want to be
at a train station in the dead of night with no toilet facilities, no shelter from the weather
," he said.

"This is an
under-costed
policy and
under-funded
policy and an
under-done
policy."

The Victorian Police Association says the Government's plan to put PSOs at every Melbourne railway station at night has
not been properly planned.

The association's assistant secretary, Bruce Atkinson, says the idea is absurd.

"We're not sure that the Government, in opposition, properly thought through this initiative," he said.

"We're fairly certain they didn't consider the logistical and administrative nightmare that they're just about to embark on in trying to bring this initiative to fruition."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/25/3173648.htm

ROFPML

Thanks, buzz.

Grin

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1263 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:01am

Ballarat helipad questions go unanswered

FIONA HENDERSON
25 Mar, 2011 10:11 PM

HEALTH Minister David Davis has “dodged” questions about a proposed Ballarat helipad, according to Western Victoria MLC Jaala Pulford.
Ms Pulford put four written questions to Mr Davis about the state government’s $2 million pre-election helipad commitment, but said his answers were a “cover-up”.

“It seems to me that they are trying to hide the fact that the Liberal government hasn’t done anything to get Ballarat’s helipad built,” Ms Pulford said.

Ms Pulford said she was worried the government was stalling.

“I am concerned that the coalition government is dodging questions about the helipad for one reason only, that they haven’t done anything to progress the helipad and get it built.”

Hospitals Emergency Landing Pad (HELP) member and long-time helipad campaigner Carole Simmons said she was starting to feel disillusioned about the lack of government action.

“It’s disappointing more than anything because it’s a genuine cause,” Ms Simmons said.

“The community realises we do need this. I just feel like we’re treading water.

Ms Knight said Ballarat deserved answers about the helipad.

“Why won’t the government say ‘yes we promised it, yes we’ve made budgetary provision for it, yes it’s going ahead’. Or maybe they haven’t made provisions for it?,” Ms Knight said

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/ballarat-helipad-questions-...

The Minister's "newspeak" response ...

“The government is advancing the implementation of its election commitments and is being supported by all relevant departments, including the Department of Treasury and Finance”

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1264 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:10am

It'll take Baillieu some time without doubt, just like it will take Barry in NSW.

Both have inherited a shambles from a party made up of the type of people really not suited to lead.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1265 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:41am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:00am:
The Brumby legacy.

And have you noticed Baillieu's "We Can Do Better" action on speed cameras ?
A warning sign ?
NAH !

Paint them bright yellow ?
NAH !

Remove any ?
NAH !

Information is now released WEEKLY (a street name and a suburb, only ) on where a speed camera MAY be located over the next seven days

This information is
subject to change, without notice
- and was PREVIOUSLY available, one MONTH in advance on the Government web-site

Victorian Police STILL have discretionary powers to use mobile cameras at random

HAPPY ?

The "reform" you expected ?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1266 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:14am

Care to explain why Brumby presided over speeding fines for Victorians of over $1,000 per second?

Rip off Victoria? You damn right.

Crying shame that my home state is a shithole.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1267 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:03am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 10:14am:
Care to explain why Brumby presided over speeding fines for Victorians of over $1,000 per second?

Rip off Victoria? You damn right.

Crying shame that my home state is a shithole.

Care to explain why Baillieu has decided to
CONTINUE the tradition ?

And he led you along into thinking he would STOP this
"blatent revenue raising"

Voters must be a bit "pissed off" if he got their vote on THAT
"faux policy"
?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1268 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:41am

Victoria is beefing up the number of police on the beat, with 600 officers being sent to areas of greatest need.

Of those, 450 new recruits will be sent out to target crime, public order and road trouble spots as part of the state government's pledge to recruit an extra 1700 police over the next four years.

Another 150 members will be moved from desk-bound jobs into regions requiring more resources.

The biggest winner is Victoria's northwest metropolitan region, which will get 140 police, while 107 will be sent to the southern metropolitan region and 72 will be sent to the state's west.

Frankston will be sent 35 officers, while the regional city of Ballarat will get 25 new police.

Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay said the allocations were based on analysis of population size in growing suburban and large regional areas.

"This is about providing police numbers where they are most needed," he said.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1269 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:45am

buzzanddidj wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:01am:
Ballarat helipad questions go unanswered

FIONA HENDERSON
25 Mar, 2011 10:11 PM

HEALTH Minister David Davis has “dodged” questions about a proposed Ballarat helipad, according to Western Victoria MLC Jaala Pulford.
Ms Pulford put four written questions to Mr Davis about the state government’s $2 million pre-election helipad commitment, but said his answers were a “cover-up”.

“It seems to me that they are trying to hide the fact that the Liberal government hasn’t done anything to get Ballarat’s helipad built,” Ms Pulford said.

Ms Pulford said she was worried the government was stalling.

“I am concerned that the coalition government is dodging questions about the helipad for one reason only, that they haven’t done anything to progress the helipad and get it built.”

Hospitals Emergency Landing Pad (HELP) member and long-time helipad campaigner Carole Simmons said she was starting to feel disillusioned about the lack of government action.

“It’s disappointing more than anything because it’s a genuine cause,” Ms Simmons said.

“The community realises we do need this. I just feel like we’re treading water.

Ms Knight said Ballarat deserved answers about the helipad.

“Why won’t the government say ‘yes we promised it, yes we’ve made budgetary provision for it, yes it’s going ahead’. Or maybe they haven’t made provisions for it?,” Ms Knight said

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/ballarat-helipad-questions-...

The Minister's "newspeak" response ...

“The government is advancing the implementation of its election commitments and is being supported by all relevant departments, including the Department of Treasury and Finance”

Why does it cost $2million to build a helipad?

Its a slab of 30mpa concrete 6 inches thick, 8 at the very most, with F82 mesh.

At most, $10k to $15k, are the white lines and some lighting worth $1,990,000 or something?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1270 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:34pm

Liberals to build Ballarat helipad if elected

KIM QUINLAN
14 Jul, 2010 10:30 AM

A FEASIBILITY study into establishing a helipad facility at Ballarat Health Services Base Hospital has been announced by the state government.
But the opposition has gone one better, by committing to build a helipad in Ballarat if elected in November

As part of its commitment,
the Coalition would allocate up to $2million to build a helipad at the Base Hospital
and to undertake an engineering scoping study to recommend the preferred site and configuration for a helipad.

In announcing the Opposition's commitment to a helipad, Liberal Nationals Coalition leader Ted Baillieu said: "The Coalition has recognised the urgent need for a hospital-based helipad for years, and as Ballarat and the region continues to grow, we are committed to providing the best possible health services.

"Our commitment to the Ballarat community is strong; we will build a hospital-based helipad. It is a necessity and it will save lives.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/liberals-to-build-ballarat-...

But, let's have another
"review"
- in the MEANTIME - or when the back-log of the OTHER
"one new review per day"
is cleared ?i

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1271 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:41pm

Verge wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:41am:
Victoria is beefing up the number of police on the beat, with 600 officers being sent to areas of greatest need.

Of those, 450 new recruits will be sent out to target crime, public order and road trouble spots as part of the state government's pledge to recruit an extra 1700 police over the next four years.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/victoria-gets-600-more-police...

Weren't those 450 new recruits BRUMBY GOVERNMENT intake ?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1272 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:22pm

Enjoy this one Buzz

Today Prime Minister Julia Gillard has conceded the merits of the Victorian Government’s argument in relation to GST distribution.

Given this concession, the Commonwealth should immediately suspend the unjustified $2.5 billion cut to Victoria’s GST revenue recommended by the Commonwealth Grants Commission (CGC) 2011 Update, until the outcome of the review is completed.

It is clear that the Commonwealth has no confidence in the existing formula.

Therefore it defies logic that Prime Minister Gillard would proceed with the $500 million cut in Victoria’s revenue each year while the flawed formula itself is being reviewed.

We welcome the acknowledgement by the Commonwealth Government that the current distribution of GST revenue is unpredictable and undermines the incentive for long term economic reform.

This is a complete vindication of Victoria’s position, outlined in my recent letter to Treasurer Swan, and the detailed analysis which accompanied it.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1273 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:23pm

On behalf of the Minister for Roads, Terry Mulder, Parliamentary Secretary for Transport, Edward O’Donohue today met with representatives from Victory Christian College and VicRoads to review progress of the installation of the new school speed zone.

Mr O’Donohue said that new time-based 40 km/h school speed zone signs will be installed on Condon Street Strathdale, adjacent to Victory Christian College.

“Children are our most vulnerable road users. Motorists should be aware that children in traffic are not like adults, they can be unpredictable and because they are small, they can be hard to see,” Mr O’Donohue said.

“Advanced warning signs will alert motorists that they are approaching a school zone with reduced speed limits.

Drivers should be prepared to slow down during school times.

Mr O’Donohue said that the speed limit on Condon Street outside the school is 60 km/h. A time-based 40 km/h speed limit will be used during school start and finish times from 8.00 am to 9.30 am and from 2.30 pm to 4.00 pm on school days.

Works have already started on the site in preparation for the formalised installation of the new speed zone signs.

Works are expected to be completed by mid April, 2011.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1274 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:24pm

Seems the ALP only care when there is TV time to be had

The Victorian Coalition Government has formally appealed the end of Exceptional Circumstances (EC) assistance to food and fibre producers in flood-affected areas of Victoria.

Minister for Agriculture and Food Security Peter Walsh wrote to Federal Labor Minister Joe Ludwig yesterday calling for the continuation of EC assistance in the shires of Gannawarra, Loddon, Campaspe and Swan Hill and the irrigation districts of the Mildura Rural City Council.

Mr Walsh said EC assistance for the Mallee-Northern Wimmera, Central Victoria North, Central Victoria South, Northern Victoria and North East Victoria was due to expire tomorrow.

EC assistance for Central and East Gippsland is also set to expire on April 30.

“The Baillieu Government is strongly opposed to the lifting of EC declarations in the agricultural areas worst affected by unprecedented summer rainfall and resulting floods,” Mr Walsh said.

“We have made that view clear to the Gillard Government on a number of occasions.

“The financial impacts of a decade of drought coupled with the effects of this summer’s devastating rains provide an overwhelming case for the continuation of Federal assistance.

“Flood and rain-affected producers meet the necessary criteria as specified under the EC system.”

Mr Walsh said the end of EC potentially left a large number of farm families in Victoria exposed to hardship and without an adequate safety net.

“In these areas, the summer rainfall has been a one-in-25-year event. Some food producers have not been able to resume farming and the majority of farmers are struggling to recover,” Mr Walsh said.

“Many families are under increased pressure as a result of the rain and flood events following multiple years of drought.

“The Gillard Government must not abandon Victorian food and fibre producers who have borne the brunt of this year’s damaging rainfall and heavy flooding.”

Mr Walsh said he was still in negotiations with the Commonwealth to obtain further support for flood-affected agricultural areas under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 134
Send Topic Print