BaillieuWatch (Read 65839 times)
buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Re: BaillieuWatch
Reply #1515 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:43pm

Please delete wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 7:17pm:
[quote author=EHBROSTER link=1291167686/1500#1508 date=1305183593]Did you do this one, buzz?

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/synchrotron-sinking-as-baillieu-pulls-...

Yeah
Couple of pages back
There's a new
FAILURE, BROKEN PLEDGE or DISAPPOINTMENT
- every day

It's hard to keep up

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1516 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:51pm

A reminder of why there is a significant corruption issue with the Victoria Police at this moment.....

Brumby Government lobbied Simon Overland to release crime stats

THE Brumby Government successfully pressured Victoria's top cop to release incomplete crime data just weeks out from last November's state election, it has been reported.
The decision to release the statistics early was a factor in Deputy Commissioner Sir Ken Jones' decision to resign, Fairfax reports.

The former government reportedly met with Chief Commissioner Simon Overland and Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe in October last year to push for the release of the stats, which showed a drop-off in assaults in Melbourne's CBD.

Sir Ken privately objected to the release of the statistics, fearing it would be viewed as a partisan play by police just weeks out from the November election.

Senior police reportedly conceded those stats, released in October, were selective and did not paint an accurate picture of the overall assault rate in the city.

Mr Overland argued to release the data in October because he felt it was in the public interest.

It emerged in February that the statistics released in October did not include categories showing increases in assaults in carparks and train stations.

The Victorian Ombudsman is now investigating the circumstances surrounding the release of the data.

In an email to police colleagues, Sir Ken described his relationship with Mr Overland as "properly robust and professional" and said media speculation on the issue helped no one.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1517 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:53pm

Corruption and failure was rife throughout Victoria Police throughout the tenure of the last state Government.

Be it from the Government playing politics with use of the Police, to a failed woman commissioner who the Police Association said was not up to the job 8 years ago, to prisoners allegedly on 24 hour watch being killed in Category A custody.

A sordid mess for the new state Government to pick up.

A decade of failure and corruption at the highest levels does not get resolved overnight.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1518 - May 12th, 2011 at 11:59pm

Here's TOMORROWS
FU(K-UP

(it's ahead of schedule)

Teachers plot wage fight over Premier
Ted Baillieu's pay deal 'porkies'

Stephen McMahon
May 12, 2011

CLASSES may be disrupted as teachers plan a campaign to pressure the Coalition Government before wage negotiations.
The move comes as the State Government refused to rule out an increase in class sizes as part of its planned productivity gains from teachers.

The Australian Education Union is preparing for a battle following Premier Ted Baillieu's backflip on an election promise to make Victoria's teachers the best paid in the country.

Wage negotiations scheduled to begin in March have yet to start with Mr Baillieu failing to respond to a letter from the union.

AEU state president Mary Bluett said teachers were angry with the "porkies" being told by the Premier.

"We are still waiting for a response but the executive council will be finalising plans for workplace actions (tomorrow)," Ms Bluett said.

Education Minister Martin Dixon was grilled in the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee about coming wage deals.

Under heavy questioning Mr Dixon refused to give a guarantee Victoria's class sizes wouldn't jump.

The Coalition has said any wage increase above 2.5 per cent will have to offset by productivity gains.

The Government would need to give Victoria's teachers an 8 per cent pay rise to meet its election promise

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/teachers-plot-wage-fight-over-premier...

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1519 - May 13th, 2011 at 12:03am

No comment to Brumby's interference in the corrupt VIC police to try and swing the election with false crime stats then Buzz?

There's a surprise!

Not biased are you?

Grin

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1520 - May 13th, 2011 at 12:15am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 12:03am:
No comment to Brumby's interference in the corrupt VIC police to try and swing the election with false crime stats then Buzz?

There's a surprise!

Not biased are you?

Grin

The stats released by the Government were pro-rata

For example, the number of assaults on the rail network had INCREASED over a ten year period

The number of assaults, per 100,00 journeys taken, had DECREASED

If rail usage DOUBLES, the number of incidents will DOUBLE as well, to maintain a status quo

The reality is - it was FAR LESS than that
i

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1521 - May 13th, 2011 at 8:54am

buzzanddidj wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 11:59pm:
Here's TOMORROWS
FU(K-UP

(it's ahead of schedule)

Stephen McMahon
May 12, 2011

CLASSES may be disrupted as teachers plan a campaign to pressure the Coalition Government before wage negotiations.
The move comes as the State Government refused to rule out an increase in class sizes as part of its planned productivity gains from teachers.

The Australian Education Union is preparing for a battle following Premier Ted Baillieu's backflip on an election promise to make Victoria's teachers the best paid in the country.

Wage negotiations scheduled to begin in March have yet to start with Mr Baillieu failing to respond to a letter from the union.

AEU state president Mary Bluett said teachers were angry with the "porkies" being told by the Premier.

"We are still waiting for a response but the executive council will be finalising plans for workplace actions (tomorrow)," Ms Bluett said.

Education Minister Martin Dixon was grilled in the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee about coming wage deals.

Under heavy questioning Mr Dixon refused to give a guarantee Victoria's class sizes wouldn't jump.

The Coalition has said any wage increase above 2.5 per cent will have to offset by productivity gains.

The Government would need to give Victoria's teachers an 8 per cent pay rise to meet its election promise

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/teachers-plot-wage-fight-over-premier...

But WAIT ...
There's MORE !!!

Baillieu's rail guards scarce in first year

Reid Sexton
May 13, 2011

FEWER than 10 per cent of the Baillieu government's controversial rail station guards will be deployed in the first year of the planned rollout

Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland revealed yesterday that only 93 protective services officers, out of an eventual total of 940, would be deployed by the end of next financial year.

The figure is way short of what was indicated by Police Minister Peter Ryan in December, when he said about a quarter of the total would be operational by July next year.

The plan to roll out protective services officers at all suburban stations, along with key regional ones, was a major focus of the Coalition's law and order campaign in the lead-up to last year's state election.

Critics have questioned its value and raised practical issues, such as the absence of
toilet facilities
for officers at stations.
The expected cost of the plan has also blown out to $212 million

The latest controversy came to light in a hearing at Parliament yesterday, when Labor MP Robin Scott asked Mr Overland how many officers would be introduced in the 2011-12 financial year, when the rollout is scheduled to begin.

Mr Overland said the state would have an additional
93 protective services officers
by the end of the financial year.

This was in contrast to what Mr Ryan was quoted saying in December.
''We're committing to train approximately one-quarter of those protective service officers in the first… financial year … We will have the first quarter of the 940 trained and on stations,''
he said

Mr Overland also told the hearing the officers rolled out in the first year would go to
city and major inner-suburban stations
. ''We'll deploy them on the basis of where we think the greatest need is,'' he said.
Victoria Police and Metro yesterday could not provide The Age with a list of the
network's most dangerous stations.

But The Sunday Age reported last year that in 2009 five of the six most dangerous stations on the network - St Albans, Footscray, Broadmeadows, Ringwood and Dandenong - were all
outside
the inner-city.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieus-rail-guards-scarce-in-first-year-201...

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1522 - May 13th, 2011 at 11:08am

buzzanddidj wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 12:15am:

There's a surprise!

Not biased are you?

Grin

For example, the number of assaults on the rail network had INCREASED over a ten year period

If rail usage DOUBLES, the number of incidents will DOUBLE as well, to maintain a status quo

These wouldnt be the same stats brumby asked to be fudged and released before last years election?

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1523 - May 13th, 2011 at 11:10am

buzzanddidj wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 8:54am:
buzzanddidj wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 11:59pm:
Here's TOMORROWS
FU(K-UP

(it's ahead of schedule)

Stephen McMahon
May 12, 2011

But WAIT ...
There's MORE !!!

Baillieu's rail guards scarce in first year

Reid Sexton
May 13, 2011

FEWER than 10 per cent of the Baillieu government's controversial rail station guards will be deployed in the first year of the planned rollout

Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland revealed yesterday that only 93 protective services officers, out of an eventual total of 940, would be deployed by the end of next financial year.

The figure is way short of what was indicated by Police Minister Peter Ryan in December, when he said about a quarter of the total would be operational by July next year.

The plan to roll out protective services officers at all suburban stations, along with key regional ones, was a major focus of the Coalition's law and order campaign in the lead-up to last year's state election.

Critics have questioned its value and raised practical issues, such as the absence of
toilet facilities
for officers at stations.
The expected cost of the plan has also blown out to $212 million

The latest controversy came to light in a hearing at Parliament yesterday, when Labor MP Robin Scott asked Mr Overland how many officers would be introduced in the 2011-12 financial year, when the rollout is scheduled to begin.

Mr Overland said the state would have an additional
93 protective services officers
by the end of the financial year.

This was in contrast to what Mr Ryan was quoted saying in December.
''We're committing to train approximately one-quarter of those protective service officers in the first… financial year … We will have the first quarter of the 940 trained and on stations,''
he said

Mr Overland also told the hearing the officers rolled out in the first year would go to
city and major inner-suburban stations
. ''We'll deploy them on the basis of where we think the greatest need is,'' he said.
Victoria Police and Metro yesterday could not provide The Age with a list of the
network's most dangerous stations.

But The Sunday Age reported last year that in 2009 five of the six most dangerous stations on the network - St Albans, Footscray, Broadmeadows, Ringwood and Dandenong - were all
outside
the inner-city.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieus-rail-guards-scarce-in-first-year-201...

93 is still more than the 22 Brumby was putting up, and even you know it takes time to recruit and train these people.

Get over yourself already Buzz.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1524 - May 13th, 2011 at 11:11am

Verge wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 11:08am:
buzzanddidj wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 12:15am:

There's a surprise!

Not biased are you?

Grin

These wouldnt be the same stats brumby asked to be fudged and released before last years election?

Buzz if you would like to test your bias.

Just for a moment, replace Brumby with Baillieu. Say Ted's Government had asked the Police Commissioner to release partial crime statistics which showed favourable crime drops by leaving out increases in other areas (exactly why Sir Ken Jones refused to be a party to it).

Now look at your answer.

Would you be defending the Baillieu Government with that response or would you be attacking it?

If you can be honest to yourself, I think you know the answer.
I certainly do.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1525 - May 13th, 2011 at 11:14am

Why are the railguards controversial? Are they all going to be ex-cons?

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1526 - May 13th, 2011 at 11:56am

sir prince duke alevine wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 11:14am:

Buzz first canned them for doing it. 
No he cans them because its not happening fast enough.

Its just all about negativety that all.

ALP Vic had the election in the bag and threw it away, and he has been on a 6 month hissy fit since.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1527 - May 13th, 2011 at 2:06pm

Ex private security, night-club bouncers, etc

The truely BIZZARRE aspect is - they will have NO POWERS OF ARREST, but WILL be authorised to DISCHARGE FIRE-ARMS

Sounds like a BRILLIANT recipe for disaster

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1528 - May 13th, 2011 at 2:08pm

buzzanddidj wrote on May 13th, 2011 at 2:06pm:

Ex private security, night-club bouncers, etc

The truely BIZZARRE aspect is - they will have NO POWERS OF ARREST, but WILL be authorised to DISCHARGE FIRE-ARMS

Sounds like a BRILLIANT recipe for disaster

You dont have a clue who they are, and the PSO's are already in place throughout Victoria in a number of roles you numbnuts.

This isnt something new, its an addition.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1529 - May 13th, 2011 at 2:09pm

Minister for Health David Davis today paid tribute to the more than 90,000 nurses and midwives who work or have worked in health services and aged care facilities in Victoria.

To mark International Nurses Day and the International Day of the Midwife, Mr Davis visited St Vincent’s Hospital where he shared breakfast with nurses and thanked them for their ongoing care and professionalism.

“International Nurses Day is a chance to celebrate nursing and the nursing profession’s contribution to the health and wellbeing of Victorians. The theme for 2011 is ‘Closing the gap: increasing access and equity’,” Mr Davis said.

“The nursing care people receive may contribute positively to a person’s life expectancy or to the quality of life they experience.

“The nursing profession is central to the services provided in hospitals large and small, residential aged care facilities, medical clinics, schools, maternity services, councils, hospices and universities.

“Many provide services in people’s homes or in the community and they can be part of a large complex team or the only health care provider for a country mile.”

More than 2,000 nurses work at St Vincent’s Hospital which has a large intake of nursing and midwifery graduates - nearly 120 nurses each year.

Mr Davis said although two thirds of the nurses and midwives work in the many public health services in the metropolitan area of Melbourne, those who provide care in rural services are also part of the vital health care system.

“Nursing and midwifery careers have always appealed to those who like variety and flexibility in their work and over 60 per cent of our nurses and midwives work part-time in our public services,” Mr Davis said.

“Lifelong learning is a professional expectation of health professionals and one that nurses and midwives embrace.

“A third of our nurses and midwives have completed a formal postgraduate qualification in specialised areas of practice like critical care, palliative care and mental health nursing.

“Each year over 2,000 new graduate registered nurses and registered midwives begin their careers here in Victoria, with the majority choosing to make the transition from student to professional in our public health services.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 134
Send Topic Print