Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: BaillieuWatch
Reply #1605 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:53am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:32am:
Bullying in the workplace

Farrah Tomazin
June 5, 2011

DEPUTY Liberal leader Louise Asher is believed to have broken down during a party-room meeting convened by Ted Baillieu after she slept through a vote in Parliament, storming out after accusing the Premier of ''humiliating'' her.

Ms Asher was forced to apologise to colleagues after she became the second government MP in a week to miss a vote in the lower house .

The Innovation Minister had fallen asleep in her office during a late-night parliamentary session, and did not wake despite the loud bells that ring throughout the building to alert MPs whenever a division is taking place.

Mr Baillieu was unhappy that another vote had been missed, only days after Community Services Minister Mary Wooldridge failed to turn up to a division, according to a participant in the party-room meeting.

At the meeting, the Premier again reminded MPs that they could not afford to be absent given the government's slim majority.

But a teary and visibly upset Ms Asher is said to have stunned colleagues by storming out and telling Mr Baillieu: ''You didn't have to humiliate me like that.''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieu-makes-tearful-asher-flee-20110604-1fm...

Ms Asher did not confirm or deny the incident when contacted by The Sunday Age.

The government's performance in recent weeks has fuelled opposition claims it is ''asleep at the wheel'' and some within the Coalition's own ranks have also raised concerns.

''These are senior ministers and we have a majority coalition government, yet we are not able to have confidence in our ability to get our legislative agenda through,'' a Coalition source told The Sunday Age.

Yes, how unreasonable for the Premier to expect an MP to show up to do their job and stay awake in parliament. The very idea! Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #1606 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:57am

Verge wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:42pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:40pm:
THE
Baillieu Government
and the Herald Sun are giving
Herald-Sun readers
a significant opportunity to give their views on sentencing for a range of crimes.

The survey of tens of thousands of our readers will provide the Government with an in-depth indication of their opinions.

Readers will be asked if they strongly agree or disagree with the minimum sentences being considered.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/let-us-hear-your-verdict-on-sentencing/story-fn...

And don't forget your
"Be Magistrate for a Day"
scratch card in the
Weekend Herald-Sun

Lucky winners will be given a wig and gavel (little hammer) and spend a day sentencing in one of
Victoria's Magistrate Courts

This will show the Courts just how out of touch they are with what the people want, and that's a court system that will hand down adequate sentences for serious crimes.

Do you disagree with it Buzz?

Would you rather the people have no input?

The public reaction to these concepts is ALWAYS a case of
emotion
over
logic and justice

We ALL think the prick who broke into our house and stole the new tellie should get ten years

Lynch mob mentality and populist policy is NO way to run a justice system

We ALL think the serial child molester should do LIFE - never to be released
So what do we do with the child molester/murderer ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1607 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:04am

Another view ...

Sentencing expert criticises government's 'flawed' crime poll

Peter Munro
June 5, 2011

VICTORIA'S Sentencing Advisory Council chairman has damned the government's decision to hold an online public poll to help set prison terms and other penalties, saying the plan was scientifically flawed and would fuel people's fears and misconceptions about crime.
Arie Freiberg, who stressed he was speaking as dean of law at Monash University, said such surveys were skewed towards imposing harsher penalties for serious crimes. ''It's not scientific and really asks people to respond from the top of their head without due consideration of the context and facts of individual cases,'' he said. ''You get a result that is not properly reflective of what people would think if they had time to reflect on it.''

Studies had shown such surveys - which tend to poll people in abstract terms rather than in detail about the sentencing process - magnified people's ''fears, anxieties and concerns'', despite documented declines in crime rates, he said.

Cont ...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sentencing-expert-criticises-governments-flawe...

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1608 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:07am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:57am:
Verge wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:42pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:40pm:
THE
Baillieu Government
and the Herald Sun are giving
Herald-Sun readers
a significant opportunity to give their views on sentencing for a range of crimes.

The survey of tens of thousands of our readers will provide the Government with an in-depth indication of their opinions.

Readers will be asked if they strongly agree or disagree with the minimum sentences being considered.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/let-us-hear-your-verdict-on-sentencing/story-fn...

And don't forget your
"Be Magistrate for a Day"
scratch card in the
Weekend Herald-Sun

Lucky winners will be given a wig and gavel (little hammer) and spend a day sentencing in one of
Victoria's Magistrate Courts

This will show the Courts just how out of touch they are with what the people want, and that's a court system that will hand down adequate sentences for serious crimes.

Do you disagree with it Buzz?

Would you rather the people have no input?

[size=14]
[b]The public reaction to these concepts is ALWAYS a case of
emotion
over
logic and justice

We ALL think the prick who broke into our house and stole the new tellie should get ten years

[size=18][color=#ff0000]Lynch mob mentality and populist policy is NO way to run a justice system[/c

We ALL think the serial child molester should do LIFE - never to be released
So what do we do with the child molester/murderer ? [/si

You are full of it buzz.

I dont think its an unrealistic expectation to see murderers in unprovoked attacks who have taken a life for no reason, to see the light of day again as a citizen.

I for one have no issue with that at all.  Ive seen the effect of losing a loved one to a callous murder has done to families and friends, and they my friend have to live with that every day.

People need to learn that any act of violence of innocent people should never be condoned, which at the moment the courts are.

Sorry, but 18 years for stabbing a 16 year old boy at a party isnt justice.

The parents of murdered teenager Lachlan Howie have welcomed an 18-year jail term imposed on his killer.

James Ronald Romero, 25, of Chiltern, stabbed Lachlan Howie, 16, at a party in the town in June last year after an argument about a chair.

In sentencing Romero, justice Simon Whelan said the stabbing was shocking in its violence.

Lachlan's father, Graham Howie, says Romero has shown no remorse for murdering his son.

"We have not had any communication from him or through his family either verbally or in writing or any means that he was sorry for what happened," he said.

Mr Howie welcomed the sentence but he says it does not ease the pain.

"All it does is give us the opportunity of putting it behind us," he said.

"We do have some very serious health issues, particularly on [my wife] Kay and myself in regard to the consequences of what happened to Lachie, and we're determined now to enjoy the time that Kay has left."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/04/2676705.htm

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1609 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:27am

Ombudsman called on to sort out FoI delays
Stephen McMahon
Herald Sun
June 03, 2011

The Opposition claims applications for documents under Freedom of Information have not been answered or, if they have, only after the State Government has exceeded the 45-day legal limit.

Documents shown to the
Herald Sun
show that some requests that are more than three months old have not been answered.
The Herald Sun has more than 20 FoI requests of its own that have not been acted on within the specified time period

This week, the Opposition wrote to Ombudsman George Brouwer calling for an investigation.

This has triggered a political brawl. The Baillieu Government says that Labor's claim is "bogus".

The letter to Mr Brouwer calling for an investigation highlights delays by Community Services Minister Mary Wooldridge and the Department of Human Services in responding to FoI applications.

In the letter, Opposition health spokesman Gavin Jennings said he was concerned that there had not even been a "formal acknowledgment" of some FoI applications dating back to mid-March.

"I therefore ask that you investigate the processing and management of FoI requests by the office of the Minister for Community Services to determine whether or not appropriate measures have been taken to ensure the Minister is fulfilling her obligations pursuant to the Act," Mr Jennings said.

But a government spokesman said these were "false claims" that undermined the importance of the issue and years of work by media organisations to restore government accountability and transparency.

One of Premier Ted Baillieu's election promises was to introduce legislation for an independent FoI commissioner. This is expected to happen after the winter break.

The Ombudsman's office refused to comment

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/major-probe-into-state-secrecy/story-...

Quote:
In his first press conference. Mr Baillieu said he came to power with no hidden agenda and under his government, "What you will see is what you will get".

"There will be no hidden agenda, no spin, no secrecy.
Accountability and transparency will the principles that underpin our government

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/victoria-premier-elect-ted-baillieu-ready-t...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #1610 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:28am

Victoria the Big Brother State!

(NSW the Bigger Brother State!?)

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1611 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:35am

Teddy B has a few years left to run Buzz, but then you are really running the risk of becoming a very bitter and twisted individual.

Relax mate, take a breath and take a step back, you are on the verge of becoming Macca, a one man one eyed spamming machine for an opposition government.

You have become so jaded you have failed to even look at anything they have done, and are focusing on what the opposition doesnt like.

You have become just as bitter as macca, just in one thread as opposed to hundreds.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1612 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:37am

Minister for Consumer Affairs Minister Michael O’Brien has said Victoria’s implementation of the new Australian Consumer Law (ACL) was recognised as a success at a meeting of state and territory consumer affairs ministers in Canberra today.

Victoria’s part in rolling out the ACL was highlighted to the Ministerial Council on Consumer Affairs, which is responsible for general consumer affairs matters and looks after crucial consumer issues such as product safety, residential tenancies and regulation of the travel industry.

“Victoria has taken the lead in making sure consumers and traders are aware of their rights and obligations under the ACL,” Mr O’Brien said.

“The smooth transition from each state and territory’s fair trading legislation to one piece of legislation which protects consumers whether they’re in Dandenong or Darwin is a benefit all Australians now enjoy,” he said.

Mr O’Brien also said the ‘one law, multiple regulator’ approach underpinning the ACL provided the ideal environment for states and territories to work together to stamp out dodgy traders.

Mr O’Brien said while Victoria had also called for the modernisation of travel regulation, not all states and territories had agreed, preferring instead to endorse a more cautious approach to reform.

“Victoria is eager to improve travel industry regulation because significant changes are needed to tailor any regulation according to how consumers arrange and manage their travel experiences in the 21st century,” Mr O’Brien said.

“The question should be asked as to what extent consumers benefit from travel industry-specific regulation, particularly with the new Australian Consumer Law in place since 1 January this year.

“Australians now benefit from strong, nationally consistent consumer protections against misconduct by traders, including travel agents.”

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1613 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:38am

The Victorian Coalition Government has delivered on its election commitment to allocate $100,000 of funding as part of the 2011-12 State Budget to undertake a feasibility study for a tourism centre in Lilydale.

The study will examine the financial viability of establishing a multi-purpose service centre for visitors to the Yarra Valley. The study will explore logistics, ongoing costs and resource requirements to run the centre efficiently.

Minister for Tourism and Major Events Louise Asher said the study is an important first step to evaluate what is needed in the region and identify what investment is required to continue to grow the Yarra Valley as a premier tourism destination.

“The Yarra Valley has an outstanding reputation locally and internationally as one of Australia’s premier wine regions. It is vital we build on this success and ensure the right investment is being made in the right areas,” Ms Asher said.

“As a gateway to the Yarra Valley region, the proposed Lilydale-based tourism centre would provide much-needed information to visitors in the region,” Ms Asher said.

“The centre would be designed to encourage local businesses to promote the region with a more coordinated approach.”

Member for Evelyn Christine Fyffe said that increased competition from other state tourism regions meant it was critical the Yarra Valley remained at the forefront of its visitors’ needs.

“It is essential we protect the Yarra Valley’s strong brand – this study will help to identify the gaps in our visitor offering and ensure we continue to grow and remain on every visitor’s itinerary,” Ms Fyffe said.

The Coalition Government is committed to supporting investment in regional Victoria and ensuring the right infrastructure is in place to strengthen our tourism industry.

The feasibility study has the support of local tourism authorities who have welcomed the opportunity to improve the world-class attraction. Once completed, the results of the feasibility study will be publicly released for comment.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1614 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:39am

Planning Minister Matthew Guy today joined Anthony Lennon, Director of Peet Limited, to officially open Aston, the first of four new communities to be developed by Peet in Melbourne’s north.

Aston comprises more than 1,700 lots for approximately 4,000 residents within the Craigieburn Precinct Structure Plan, which is located 26 kilometres from Melbourne’s CBD on Craigieburn Road.

“The Victorian Coalition Government is committed to releasing adequate land to meet demand as Melbourne’s population grows and changes, and this development by Peet fits that vision,” Mr Guy said.

“This major residential development has been made possible through a rigorous planning process, led by the Growth Areas Authority in consultation with Hume City Council, landowners and other government agencies.

“We need to improve housing affordability to give Victorians every chance to own a home. The Coalition Government is delivering that through a range of measures including cuts to stamp duty, amending the GAIC laws and establishing the Urban Renewal Authority.”

“The Coalition Government supports developments like Peet’s Aston that are well designed, sustainable and attractive communities for people to choose to make their home,” Mr Guy said.

Aston will feature more than 20 hectares of open space with walking trails, bike tracks, playing fields and waterways. Peet has worked closely with Melbourne Water to ensure the protection of the Greenvale Reservoir, a major water supply system for the city’s north western suburbs.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1615 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:40am

The Victorian Coalition Government has handed the former Department of Primary Industries’ buildings at Sea Lake over to the local health authority to be converted into a Men’s Shed.

Minister for Agriculture and Food Security Peter Walsh today handed the keys to the office to the Mallee Track Health and Community Service (MTHCS).

Mr Walsh said the Brumby Labor Government closed the VicTrack-owned DPI site in January 2009.

“I am delighted Mallee Track Health and Community Service has expressed an interest in the site,” Mr Walsh said.

“The Men’s Shed programs have proven invaluable wherever they have been established.

“The facility will provide a home base for a group of men already actively helping the local community in many ways.

“Sea Lake participants help with gardening and rubbish removal for elderly residents and last Christmas even spent time making nativity scenes for residents.”

MTHCS corporate services director Andrea Dreher said the Men’s Shed program provided men in the area an avenue for social interaction and support, while providing benefits to the wider community

“While it is a really valuable initiative for supporting community work, it is also a valuable contribution for the men themselves,” Ms Dreher said.

“The men plan to set up a tool room at the site to help centralise their equipment and enable them to take on more odd jobs and small construction projects.

“It will help members improve their general well being and provide them with company they might not usually enjoy if they are isolated at home.”

Mr Walsh said in addition to the buildings owned by DPI, which include an amenities block, a small office building with two offices and a large shed, MTHCS had secured a lease with VicTrack for the land.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1616 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:45am

Minister for Children and Early Childhood Development Wendy Lovell today announced an $8.2 million funding package for kindergartens across the state.

The funding, provided through the State Government and the National Partnership on Early Childhood Education, will help to deliver reforms that will ensure children receive an even better education before they start school.

Welcoming more than 500 delegates to Kindergarten Parents Victoria’s 2011 Early Childhood Education Conference, Together We Grow, Ms Lovell said the Victorian Coalition Government was supporting kindergartens in the move to implement new national standards that would lift the quality and reach of early childhood education and care across Victoria.

Under the National Partnership on Early Childhood Education, the government has committed to providing universal access to 15 hours of kindergarten in the year before school.

Ms Lovell said the new funding package would include:

$3.4 million in new state funding to provide 1359 community-based kindergartens across Victoria with a $2,500 flexible grant for new information technology, equipment or other resources; and
$4.8 million in National Partnership funding including:
$2.6 million so that 35 kindergartens currently piloting 15 hour kindergarten programs can continue in their work; and
$2.2 million to enable another 23 kindergartens to pilot innovative 15 hour kindergarten programs.
In last month’s Victorian Budget, the government delivered a $101 million package to support early years services.

This included:

$41.5 million for free kindergarten for 18,300 low income families;
$18.2 million for children needing extra assistance at kinder; and
$15 million for capital works initiatives.
“Our key budget measures, the new IT and Equipment Grants program and our leadership in the national reform process, are just some examples of how this government is helping to build a bright future for Victoria’s children,” Ms Lovell said.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1617 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:46am

Planning Minister Matthew Guy has moved to improve housing affordability and reduce red tape by introducing a Bill into Parliament that will reform the Growth Areas Infrastructure Charge (GAIC).

Mr Guy said the introduction of the Planning and Environment (Growth Areas Infrastructure Charge) Bill 2011 would allow for 100 per cent deferral of the GAIC to the end of the subdivision process, and provide for in-kind work agreements as part or full payment of the GAIC.

All funds raised by the GAIC will be used to provide vital infrastructure and to oversee development in the growth areas of Melbourne. The GAIC is expected to contribute up to 15 percent of the cost of providing state infrastructure and services in growth areas and decisions about the use of the revenue will be made as part of the Victorian Coalition Government's annual budget process.

These reforms will reduce developer holding costs and place downward pressure on housing affordability as well as enabling some infrastructure in growth areas to be brought forward.

“The Victorian Coalition Government is fulfilling its election commitment to move all of the GAIC payment to the statement of compliance time, thus removing Labor's up-front costs on business which were being passed on to home buyers,” Mr Guy said.

“The government has always stated the GAIC should only be paid by those who choose to develop their land, which is why we are delivering this legislation to ensure 100 per cent of the GAIC is paid at the time of Statement of Compliance.

“The move to allow in-kind works as a method of paying the GAIC will allow an agreement between the Coalition Government and a developer to fund state infrastructure in a growth area. This may allow some state infrastructure to be brought forward and assist with Labor's decade of neglect in outer suburban infrastructure,” Mr Guy said.

Half of the GAIC revenue collected will be spent on building and improving public transport infrastructure and the associated costs, as well as core community infrastructure including:

transport infrastructure (including roads, pedestrian and cycle paths) other than major public transport infrastructure;
community infrastructure including health facilities, education facilities, regional libraries, neighbourhood houses and major recreation facilities;
environmental infrastructure including regional open space, trails and creek protection; and
economic infrastructure including providing access to information and technology and infrastructure supporting the development of commerce and industry.
The government's GAIC reforms are part of a planning reform agenda that includes urban renewal, streamlining planning processes and bringing forward land supply.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1618 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:50am

Verge wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:38am:
The Victorian Coalition Government has delivered on its election commitment to allocate $100,000 of funding as part of the 2011-12 State Budget to undertake a feasibility study for a tourism centre in Lilydale.

Oh GOOD !
Let's have another "review"

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1619 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:10am

Verge wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:35am:
Teddy B has a few years left to run Buzz, but then you are really running the risk of becoming a very bitter and twisted individual.

Relax mate, take a breath and take a step back, you are on the verge of becoming Macca, a one man one eyed spamming machine for an opposition government.

NO ...
I stick to the FACTS !

Not that I can VIEW them all
I wonder what lies beneath the FoI stalling ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 ... 134
Send Topic Print