Send Topic Print
BaillieuWatch (Read 65746 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: BaillieuWatch
Reply #1770 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 3:53pm

VICTORIA'S PREFERRED PREMIER BY A BIG, BIG, BIG MARGIN..

Big_Ted_001.jpg (14 KB | 31 )
Big_Ted_001.jpg

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #1771 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 3:59pm

Now HERE'S a "funny one ...

No escape from 32 new cameras

September 3, 2011 12:00AM

MELBOURNE is set to get 32 new speed and red light cameras that will see tens of thousands more motorists booked and
earn the State Government an extra $30 million a year.

Police Minister Peter Ryan said yesterday the cameras should be catching drivers before the end of the month at some of the city's busiest intersections, including along Hoddle St, East Melbourne and Warrigal Rd, Chadstone.

http://m.news.com.au/VIC/pg/0/fi810554.htm

HA !
HA !
HA !

...i

Still no comments ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1772 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:01pm

A.N.D.R.E.I. goes  A.W.O.L.i

... again ?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1773 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:13pm

I'm still wondering what you think of Mr Baillieu's HUGE, COMMANDING lead as Preferred Premier over Mr Who?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1774 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:52pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:13pm:
I'm still wondering what you think of Mr Baillieu's HUGE, COMMANDING lead as Preferred Premier over Mr Who?

I'm BEWILDERED - and RESIGNED - to the STUPIDITY of Victorians
The result is based on disatisfaction with Federal Labor

Let's "get real" - for a moment !

Failure after failure - back-flip after back-flip - broken pledge after broken pledge - there is NO way the Baillieu Government has earned such a massive swing, since the election, based on such a mediocre performance

"I'm still wondering what you think of Mr Baillieu's" expansion of the speed camera fine revenue ?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1775 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 5:43pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:01pm:
A.N.D.R.E.I. goes  A.W.O.L.i

... again ?

Actually, I've given him "research leave" - to locate something Lord Baillieu has not failed, shelved or back-flipped on

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1776 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 5:54pm

FUNNY !

POLL RESULTS

Handing our Parks back to the beef industry    1 (20%)
FAILED - OVER-RULED by Federal law

Putting power lines underground    2 (40%)

FAILED - Found to be undoable, due to cost, as was Baillieu Government finding

Increasing speed camera renenue    2 (40%)

FAILED - Election pledge was to REDUCE number of speed cameras

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1777 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 6:09pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 1:05am:
Solar power subsidy slashed

Adam Morton
September 1, 2011

The Victorian government will cut the subsidy paid to households for electricity fed into the grid from rooftop solar panels by more than half.

Energy Minister Michael O'Brien said the premium rate of 60 cents per kilowatt hour would be reduced to 25 cents.

The new rate will apply for people with panels who have not submitted the required paperwork and reached a contract agreement with an electricity retailer by September 30.

Households already receiving the 60-cent rate will not be affected.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/solar-power-subsidy-slashed-20110901-1jnfl....

Solar cuts are 'foolish': Roberston

Graham Readfearn
September 6, 2011.

Queensland Energy Minister Stephen Robertson has accused other state governments of being “foolish and shortsighted” for cutting payments to promote solar energy.

Mr Robertson told the Ecogen renewable energy conference in Brisbane yesterday that recent decisions in Victoria and New South Wales to cut back payments for homeowners with solar power would damage the industry.

Last week, Victoria’s energy minister Michael O’Brien announced the government would cut its feed-in tariff payments, for electricity fed back to the grid, from 60 cents per kilowatt hour to 25c.

Mr Robertson said Queensland’s tariff, which pays 45c per kWh, had helped thousands to access clean power.

“In my view, any government that doesn’t see exactly the choices that their constituents in fact want to make in accessing cleaner power is indeed somewhat foolish and shortsighted,” he said.

“[Queensland will avoid] going down the path of other states in collapsing their schemes and causing such dislocation amongst a somewhat new and still vulnerable part of the economy.”

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/solar-cuts-are-foolish-roberston-201...

Solar Shop shuts as subsidies evaporate

Paddy Manning
September 9, 2011 - 5:11PM

Australia's largest seller of solar panels, Solar Shop, has been placed in receivership and will be put up for sale.

Ferrier Hodgson were appointed receivers and managers of the Adelaide-based business earlier this week. The company employs 200 people directly and has a dozen display centres around the country.

Ferriers partner John Lindholm said it would be business as usual while the receivers, acting on behalf of secured creditor Westpac, conducted an urgent review of the business. The company includes the Solar Hut businesses.

Advertisement: Story continues below The receivers could not guarantee the company's ability to complete about 1500 of Solar Shop's existing installation contracts.

A Ferrier spokesperson said scheduled installations will continue “while we're looking for a buyer, but deposits won't be refunded and they may be lost if a buyer isn't found.”

http://www.theage.com.au/business/solar-shop-shuts-as-subsidies-evaporate-201109...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1778 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 4:01pm

Ted Baillieu – Premier of Victoria or coal industry rep?

4 September 2011

" ... rub some of your magic on me, Ted"

The fossil fuel industry is sure getting their money’s worth with Ted Baillieu and his Liberal/National Party Government.

In Ted Baillieu’s Victoria, building a wind farm is now almost impossible and the feed-in tariff for solar panels has been cut by over 50%.

However, building a coal mine 800m from a primary school is OK, and if a mining company wants to dig for coal or drill for gas in your backyard, polluting our land, water and air, there’s nothing you can do about it

Last week the Baillieu Government attacked renewable energy on two fronts.
First, they introduced new planning laws that allow anyone within 2km of a proposed wind farm to veto the proposal.
The Clean Energy Council estimates that this will cost Victoria $3.6 billion and thousands of jobs, as wind energy companies move to other states and other countries.
Victoria’s population density means that it will be virtually impossible to build any more large-scale wind farms beyond the ones which already have planning approval.

However, destroying the wind energy industry wasn’t enough for Ted, two days later he announced that the feed-in tariff for solar panels (photovoltaics) was being cut from 60 cents per kilowatt hour (60c/kWh) guaranteed for 15 years, to 25c/kWh, guaranteed for 5 years.
Estimates are that this will blow-out the payback period for putting solar panels on your roof (the time it takes before the amount you save on electricity covers the amount you spent on the panels) from around 7 years to around 14 years.
Again, thousands of jobs and large sums of investment money will be destroyed.

Not only are Baillieu’s 19th Century energy policies costing jobs, increasing our reliance on coal and damaging our economy, they will also result in higher electricity prices.

When the wind is blowing, or the sun shining on a hot day, wind and solar power can provide electricity cheaper than coal and gas power plants – driving down the average cost of electricity over a period of time

So the question to ask is why?

Why is Ted Baillieu willingly driving up the cost of electricity, cutting jobs and investment?
Why is he destroying an industry that has around 90% support amongst the Australian public?
Why is he abandoning climate action when he himself voted for a 20% by 2020 emissions reduction in the Victorian Parliament in 2010?
The answer to these questions is in who is benefiting from these policies.

As is often the case with energy policy in Australia, the beneficiaries of Baillieu’s policies are the powerful and well-connected fossil fuel industry, in particular the gas and coal-fired electricity generators.
As mentioned above, once a certain amount of renewable energy is built into our electricity grid the average wholesale price of electricity begins to fall – eating into the profits of the coal and gas companies. If renewable energy is held back, then these companies can continue to bring in exorbitant profits and consumers get stuck with ever increasing electricity prices and greenhouse gas pollution.

http://ycan.org.au/2011/09/ted-baillieu-premier-of-victoria-or-coal-industry-rep...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #1779 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 7:50am

buzzanddidj wrote on Apr 29th, 2011 at 11:47am:
We also need to keep the cost of doing business in Victoria as competitive as possible.
The government should ditch home stamp-duty cuts and instead use the money to further cut WorkCover premiums and payroll tax rates, since these cuts are more likely to generate jobs.

Steve Bracks was premier of Victoria from 1999 to 2007.
He is chairman of the superannuation fund CBus, non-executive director of the Bionic Ear Institute and envoy for Australia's automotive industry.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/how-victoria-has-beaten-nsw-on-every-m...

Duty cut fails to inspire first home buyers

Chris Vedelago
September 11, 2011.

THE state government's bid to boost housing affordability by cutting stamp duty has
failed
to generate a new rush of first home buyers.

The number of first-time buyers entering the market has
fallen to its lowest level in seven years
despite the 20 per cent discount becoming available about five months ago.

New figures also show the savings on offer - amounting to $5800 on a house at the median price of $565,000 - have been cancelled out by price rises in the city's more affordable areas over the past year.

The failure of the cuts to fuel buyer interest has been blamed on Melbourne's long-running housing affordability crisis.

''First home buyers are being very cautious about the fact that the market is in a downturn right now,'' said Louis Christopher, managing director of SQM Research.

James Champion, who has been looking for a first home for more than two years, believes his best option is to wait and see. The 34-year-old IT manager considers
the stamp duty cuts and first home grants to be ''fool's gold'' that can whip up buyer interest but actually make housing even more unaffordable.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/duty-cut-fails-to-help-first-home-buyers-20110...

They learned NOTHING from the inflationary effect of the FHG ?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1780 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 9:52am

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:52pm:

+++++++++++++

Mr Andrews said he was unfussed by his low personal approval rating.

He rejected suggestions the poor showing was partly due to anti-federal Labor sentiment in Prime Minister Julia Gillard's home state.

"I am not the sort of person who seeks to blame others ... as some other Labor leaders in other states have done," Mr Andrews told reporters in Melbourne.

"I accept that my responsibility as the leader of the Victorian Labor Party and the challenges I face are my challenges, they are our challenges.

"Julia Gillard is an exceptional leader, Julia Gillard is pursuing very difficult issues at the moment ... and I support her in her work."

Grin

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1781 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 12:08pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:52pm:
Andrei.Hicks wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:13pm:

I'm BEWILDERED - and RESIGNED - to the STUPIDITY of Victorians

Let's "get real" - for a moment !

Failure after failure - back-flip after back-flip - broken pledge after broken pledge - there is NO way the Baillieu Government has earned such a massive swing, since the election, based on such a mediocre performance
i

No thoughts, yet, on the EXPANSION of the
"revenue raiser"
speed camera program ?

Or any of the OTHER back-flips, broken election pledges and
FAILS
?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1782 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:14am

Baillieu's "transparency" gets "fogged up"

Melissa Fyfe
September 12, 2011

THE Coalition government pushed ahead with its controversial alpine grazing trial despite receiving a key department's warning that no scientific, social or economic evidence existed to support it.

Documents released under freedom-of-information laws show Parks Victoria - managers of cattle grazing in the Alpine National Park before it was banned in 2005 - delivered categorical advice to the Department of Sustainability and Environment last December.

A senior Parks Victoria manager, using italics for emphasis, wrote in an email:
''Please note the evidence - scientific, economic and social evidence - does not support the introduction of grazing into the Alps''

Despite this advice, cattle were quietly reintroduced in early January.

By March, Canberra ordered cattle from the park as the trial had not been approved under national environment laws. In July, The Age reported the state government had launched another plan to bypass federal laws, but by last month the federal government was considering new oversight powers of national parks to head off such a move.

The documents -
whose release under freedom of information took three times longer than the allowable 45-day period
- show the department began work on a list of potential cattle grazing sites only seven working days after the government was sworn in.

The Mountain Cattlemens Association of Victoria had campaigned for the Coalition's election after the party promised to return cattle to the park

The emails show Parks Victoria had raised concerns about selected grazing sites due to
recent flooding
and the presence of
threatened species
and other ''issues'', including the existence of
delicate alpine bogs and waterways.

Some sites could not contain cattle within their boundaries, the advice said.

The government deleted the site names from the released documents so it is impossible to tell if this advice was heeded by the department when finalising grazing areas

Parks Victoria also suggested that if the department wanted to test alpine grazing's effects on fire risk,
there were options closer to settlements with more build-up of fire-prone material. Most of these sites were ignored in favour of remote areas where the mountain cattlemen traditionally grazed cattle.

According to a department framework document, the government expected in the trial's first year to find fauna and flora species not previously reported or known. The Victorian National Parks Association said this was an admission that their site selection was based on old information and a thorough check for threatened species was not done.

"We expect new governments, when they come into office, to lack understanding of the complex issues driving conservation management. But we don't expect them to ignore the advice of those who do understand,''
said the association's park protection spokesman, Philip Ingamells.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/conservation/department-warned-against-alpi...i

TRANSPARENCY -
FAIL
i

IP Logged

Gimme Gimme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1783 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:33am

KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK EXPOSING THE LYING BIG MINING/COAL/CORPORATE FUNDED LIBERAL TEA PARTY AGENDA BUZZANDDIDJ!!

YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB MATE Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

'If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.' &&John Lennon

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1784 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:51am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 20th, 2011 at 11:21pm:
Protesters try to stop logging of old forests at Sylvia Creek

Herald Sun
July 18, 2011

CONSERVATIONISTS will try to halt a controversial logging operation northeast of Melbourne today.
Protesters will walk into the logging exclusion zone at Sylvia Creek, near Toolangi, in a bid to stop logging work.

Luke Chamberlain, spokesman for
The Wilderness Society, said protesters wanted to stop the destruction of one of the few old forests in the area to survive the Black Saturday bushfires.

"Logging must stop once anyone's on the site," he said.

Mr Chamberlain said the area included mountain ash trees which were home to the endangered Leadbeater's possum, Victoria's animal emblem.

"Most of these ancient trees will be wood-chipped to make Reflex paper, it's a disgraceful waste when we could be using plantation timber to supply all the paper we need," he said.

"We're calling on the State Government to protect Victoria's native forests for the sake of our wildlife, and to preserve these vital stores of 'green carbon'."

According to the Department of Sustainability and Environment, the forest contains critically endangered Leadbeaters Possum, rainforest of state significance and senescent Mountain Ash tree's

There are ferns in the understorey that could be as old as from the 13th century AD. These towering ferns are 8-10 metres tall and occur alongside the endangered Tree Geebung and old Mountain Pepper.

Preliminary studies have found the forests meet Leadbeaters Habitat Zone 1a.

http://indymedia.org.au/2011/07/19/save-sylvia-creek-from-logging

Just 1% of central highlands old growth survives

Adam Morton
September 12, 2011.

BEFORE European settlement up to 80 per cent of the wet eucalyptus forest of Victoria's central highlands was old-growth mountain ash, with trees taller than 90 metres towering above the landscape.

According to research published in US journal the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,
the old-growth is nearly gone and on the verge of being unrecoverable.

The paper says decades of logging and frequent bushfire have reduced the area of old-growth to about 2000 hectares - 1.2 per cent of the forest area north-east of Healesville.

Lead researcher David Lindenmayer, from Australian National University's Fenner School of Environment and Society, said if the current combination of clearfelling and fire continued the mountain ash could be lost and replaced by wattle, or ''acacia scrub''.

''This forest is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in 30 years of ecological science. What we are seeing is a truly iconic forest evaporating before our eyes and it will never be the same again,'' Professor Lindenmayer said.

''If it collapses into acacia scrub, it is impossible to get out again. It really is a catastrophe in the true sense of the word.''

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/conservation/just-1-of-central-highlands-ol...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 134
Send Topic Print