Send Topic Print
BaillieuWatch (Read 65677 times)
buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Re: BaillieuWatch
Reply #1875 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:29pm

They can't budget for a HEALTH and HOSPITAL system - yet they can find $400 MILLION DOLLARS to buy votes in the private school industry

They can't budget for a HEALTH and HOSPITAL system - yet they can let 3.6 BILLION DOLLARS in the renewable energy sector ( ... WIND) slip through their fingers to the benefit of South Australia

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1876 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:35pm

Still haven't answered Buzz - try again -

+ Why were the healthcare professionals so heavily critical of the state of healthcare in Victoria under Brumby?
One labelled it "disgraceful".
In fact the same guy you quote in your post was scathing of Brumby Government inaction.

So come on - why were they critical?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1877 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:40pm

I am all for giving support to the private schools as well.

At the end of the day Buzz -

Private schools produce people like me.

Public schools produce people like you.

End of.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1878 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:47pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:40pm:

At the end of the day Buzz -

Private schools produce people like me.

I'll let the "peanut gallery" give the final judgement on THAT one ?
i

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1879 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:53pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:35pm:

+ Why were the healthcare professionals so heavily critical of the state of healthcare in Victoria under Brumby?

It was TWO medicos

No prizes for guessing who THEY "batted for"

Why don't you ask a few thousand NURSES ?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1880 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:33am

I'M just surprised it TOOK so long ?

Victorian Coalition slumps as Ted Baillieu treads water

The Australian
January 04, 2012 12:00AM

VICTORIAN Premier Ted Baillieu's Coalition government has recorded its biggest slump in support since winning government just over a year ago, losing four percentage points of its primary vote to Labor in a rare sign of trouble for the conservative side of politics in the Julia Gillard era.

It is the first time in a decade a state government has finished its first year in a weaker position than when it was elected.

The Coalition won office with a primary vote of 44.8 per cent -- up to 51.6 per cent after the distribution of preferences. But if a state election were held now, the Coalition would be likely to lose its majority of 45 seats in a Legislative Assembly of 88 seats.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/victorian-coalit...

Has the MOGODON in the water supply been depleted ?

IP Logged

blackadder
Gold Member

Reply #1881 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:40am

But if a state election were held now

Just between you and me buz. The election is not due now.

BTW buz what are the percentage points for preferred premier??

Somewhere around 53% Baillieu and 18% for whats his name.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

IP Logged

blackadder
Gold Member

Reply #1882 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:41am

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/victorian-coalit...

Look everyone Buz is reading a Murdoch newspaper.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1883 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 10:10am

blackadder wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:41am:

Look everyone Buz is reading a Murdoch newspaper.

JUST to keep you up to date - Murdoch Press actually OWN half of Newspoll
NATURALLY, they have exclusivity to polling data

But if THIS is an easier read ?

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/support-drops-for-vic-coalition-ne...

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1884 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:03am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:53pm:

It was TWO medicos

The same Dr Hemley you pointed out and highlighted as a quote?

But its ok when he attacks a Liberal Government right?

When will you ever admit you are biased?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1885 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:51am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:03am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:53pm:

It was TWO medicos

The same Dr Hemley you pointed out and highlighted as a quote?

But its ok when he attacks a Liberal Government right?

When will you ever admit you are biased?

His criticism of the LAST government was over a computer system ( ... built from the ground up) which was half way complete

It was put VERY clearly, from DAY ONE, that it was a FOUR YEAR project

Bracks, Brumby and Andrews WEREN'T
shutting down entire wards of hospitals - and reducing nurse/patient ratios
to cover the bill for PORK-BARRELLING

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1886 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:45am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:32am:
Our hospital waiting list pain will only get worse

January 06, 2012

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/01/05/1226237/812786-hospitals.jpg

HOSPITAL waiting lists will soar this year with
the number of operations slashed by thousands
and more than 4800 Victorians joining already blown-out queues.
More than 2100 sick children are among those who will be forced to wait.

The number of elective surgeries being carried out has been slashed under the funding agreements brokered between Health Minister David Davis and the state's hospitals.

Almost 9500 fewer operations are planned for 2011-12 compared to last year despite a growing and ageing population.

Among the worst hit will be patients at the Royal Children's Hospital, where the waiting lists for surgery will more than double despite the opening of the new $1 billion centre - rising from 1700 last year to 3850 by mid-2012.

Concerned doctors warned the waiting list blowouts and surgery cutbacks would leave patients suffering from pain and disability waiting for essential surgery.

"Hospitals should be performing more elective surgery - not less,"
Australian Medical Association Victoria President Dr Harry Hemley said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/hospital-waiting-list-pain-to-get-wor...

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #1887 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:47am

OOOOOOh that would be the same Dr Hemley you called as on the "Liberal Payroll" when he criticised the shambles that was the Brumby Government Heartsmart roll out??

Your bias and your refusal to admit it is nothing short of pathetic Buzz.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1888 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:25am

Fire plans slammed as cheap and retrograde

Peter Munro
January 8, 2012.

MEMBERS of the government's own power-line taskforce have criticised its bushfire reduction plan, warning
it will leave residents in some high-risk areas exposed to the threat of catastrophic loss.

Bushfire experts say the Baillieu government's $750 million plan, under which about
1 per cent
of Victoria's power-line network will be replaced, would not prevent
another Black Saturday-scale tragedy.
''There will be people living in hazardous situations whose level of risk won't be changed by this,''
said fire ecologist Kevin Tolhurst. ''You're still going to have significant residual risk potential for another disaster.''

Taskforce member Grahame Holmes, an expert in electrical power at RMIT University, told The Sunday Age the planned replacement of only 1000 kilometres of power lines in areas such as the Dandenong and Otway ranges
would leave parts of the state exposed to the risk of extreme fire loss.
''Something like 2000 to 5000 kilometres would more comprehensively cover high-risk areas. A thousand, in my opinion, is
not really enough to cover even the direct high-risk areas
,'' he said.

The $750 million plan was
''at the lower end of acceptable''
, he said.
''It's a little bit cheap … The balance is more towards keeping costs down and less towards mitigating risk.''

Fellow taskforce member Graeme Brown, chairman of the Marysville and Triangle Development Group, called on the government to spend more to reduce risk. ''Certainly I would have expected more over 10 years. If you go to a doctor and they are only 64 per cent efficient you would probably be very worried about that, wouldn't you,'' he said.

Power prices in much of regional Victoria will increase by $1.30 a year initially and peak at $13 extra a year under the government's plan, which was announced on December 29.

Electrical fires expert Trevor Blackburn, of the University of New South Wales, said 1000 kilometres was
''really just a drop in the bucket''.
''The steps [the government has] taken, while they will reduce the risk, don't really go the whole distance to minimise the possibility of Black Saturday-type events occurring again.''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fire-plans-slammed-as-cheap-and-retrograde-201...

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #1889 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:58am

Baillieu hides carbon tax documents

THE Baillieu government has been accused of using ''laughable'' excuses to block the release of economic modelling it used to attack the Gillard government's carbon tax.

The government cited public interest and privacy issues as reasons it will not hand over calculations behind a media release by state Energy Minister Michael O'Brien last July.

The press release, titled Julia Gillard duds Victorians again, lashed the federal Labor government over its carbon tax plans.

Advertisement: Story continues below
It warned the tax would take ''up to $450 from the pocket of each Victorian''.

The press release predicted, as a result of the tax, annual power price rises for everyone from a metropolitan pizza shop ($550) to a suburban hairdresser ($825) to a country pub ($875).

The figures were given to the Herald Sun newspaper the night before their wider release, and ran on the paper's front page.

Federal government figures say the calculations in the press release overestimate the expected costs and ignore compensation to be offered to some.

Using freedom of information laws, the state opposition asked Mr O'Brien's Department of Primary Industries for all modelling and briefings behind the press release.

Four months later the department wrote back, denying access to all documents because they were ''in the nature of opinion, advice or recommendation'' made during government deliberations. For this reason, the documents were not in the public interest to release, the department's freedom of information officer wrote. He said some documents would unreasonably disclose personal affairs of public servants who worked on them.

A spokeswoman for Mr O'Brien, Kate Walshe, said calculations in the press release were ''based on average energy consumption for a range of business types and households''.

And Ms Walshe defended the decision to release none of the thinking behind the press release. ''The decision was independently made by the department,'' she said.

The opposition's scrutiny of government spokesman, Martin Pakula, said reasons given for rejecting the freedom of information request were laughable.

They showed the government had contempt for freedom of information laws, he said.

''The government can't use a document to justify a hysterical media release and then claim it's an internal working document. They can't have it both ways,'' he said.

The case will cast more doubt on Mr Baillieu's commitment to genuinely reform the state's freedom of information laws - a key election promise.

In 2010, Mr Baillieu attacked the Brumby government for its attitude to freedom of information, which had ''made it extremely difficult to obtain a clear and truthful understanding of the government's activities''.

The Baillieu government this year will put in place a freedom of information watchdog. It will not have powers over ministers or department heads, will be unable to review decisions relating to secret cabinet documents, and could ultimately result in longer delays.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieu-hides-carbon-tax-documents-20120109-1...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 ... 134
Send Topic Print