Send Topic Print
BaillieuWatch (Read 65636 times)
progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: BaillieuWatch
Reply #1905 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 4:45pm

barnaby joe wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:32pm:
did you guys ever stop to consider that maybe politicians of any persuasion cant really do that much about the economy as you would like to think and market forces are pretty important in determining everything. its like everytime something good or bad occurs economically you take it a sign somebody somewhere in the gubmint is doing a good or bad job as if politicians are deities that have complete and total control over even the most insignificant of economic minuatae.

With that logic, politicians shouldn't give the poor any social security. Surely the sign that the poor and now healthier and happier, to a point, is not a sign of what the government did, it is just pure coincidence.

So what is your suggestion to a cut in this wasted social security drive?

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1906 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 4:47pm

It is a little hard to go past 128 pages of replies to this thread, with only 15 votes in the poll.

Plenty (5 - 10) of idoelogues are attracted to this I take it.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #1907 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:11pm

State fails to meet fire goal

Melissa Fyfe
January 23, 2012.

DOZENS of Victorian suburbs and towns remain overexposed to extreme bushfire risk this season because the Baillieu government failed to meet its targets to reduce fuel loads around the state's most vulnerable communities.

A leaked document has revealed the government's multimillion-dollar planned burning program - designed to burn off bushland to curb damaging fires - achieved only 16 per cent of its target in the densely populated central region, which includes 54 towns and suburbs assessed by the Country Fire Authority as facing extreme risk this summer.

The Department of Sustainability and Environment burnt only 1818 hectares of the 11,400 hectares it was aiming for in the central region, which covers Melbourne and its urban fringes, including the fire-prone Dandenongs and Yarra Ranges. But in the less-populated north-east, where 20 towns are at extreme risk, the department burnt 64,969 hectares, or 150 per cent of its goal

Critics say the government is burning large areas of remote bushland to meet a royal commission target, but failing to prioritise the difficult and strategic burns around fire-prone communities.

''When the next really big fire happens, people won't ask 'did you meet the target'?, they will ask 'did you do the burning in key areas that reduce risk to life and property'?'' says La Trobe University zoology professor Mike Clarke.

Both Labor and the Coalition adopted the royal commission's recommendation to burn 5 per cent of public land, or 415,412 hectares annually, by 2013-2014, tripling planned burning across Victoria.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/state-fails-to-meet-fire-goal-20120122-1qc93.h...

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:19pm by buzzanddidj »  

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #1908 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:57am

Minister used his own numbers on carbon cost

ENERGY Minister Michael O'Brien ignored his own department's economic modelling on the impact of the federal carbon tax, instead relying on his own calculations to claim Victoria would be hit ''first and hardest''.

Department of Primary Industries secretary Jeff Rosewarne has revealed the department provided Mr O'Brien with ''estimates and projections'' on the likely impact of the controversial tax.

But in a letter to Labor rejecting for a second time a freedom of information request, Mr Rosewarne said his department's calculations were ''different to the figures ultimately published'' in a July 2011 media release issued by Mr O'Brien.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''This reflects the inability of the department to influence how the advice of its officers will ultimately be treated by the minister,'' the letter says.

''Releasing that advice would also result in potential confusion about how advice received by the minister was considered by him in circumstances where the minister made his views known in the media release.''

The letter raises further doubts about the ''economic modelling'' the state government used to attack the tax, which was detailed on the front page of the Herald Sun before its broader release.

Mr O'Brien's press release, titled ''Julia Gillard duds Victorians again'', claimed the tax ''will see Victorians pay up to an extra $2.5 billion to the Gillard government'' and provided a range of cost estimates for different businesses and electricity users. ''This is equivalent to Canberra taking up to $450 from the pocket of each Victorian,'' the press release said.

At the time, Mr O'Brien described the calculations as ''economic modelling'', but refused to discuss details of how the calculations had been made.

He also conceded that the figures did not make allowances for the compensation that will be provided to nine out of 10 households.

A spokeswoman for Mr O'Brien said last night the information provided by the department had informed the government's media release on the potential impact of Labor's carbon tax on Victorian households and businesses. She said the government had been even more conservative than the department in its assumptions.

''Had the government exclusively used the estimates provided by the department, the estimated cost impact of Labor's carbon price would have been higher for every category of electricity use than the figures published,'' she said.

Opposition energy spokeswoman Lily D'Ambrosio accused Mr O'Brien of ''abusing his own department's advice to produce dodgy figures'' to suit the government's political agenda. ''Will the minister now admit he misled Victorians by peddling inaccurate figures?'' Ms D'Ambrosio said. ''Michael O'Brien will say and do anything for political reasons.''

In his letter, Mr Rosewarne said at the time the department provided its advice to Mr O'Brien on the impact of the tax, the only information available had been a series of media leaks.

The department initially rejected Labor's FOI request for the documents relevant to the press release on the grounds that the information was not in the public interest and represented ''opinion, advice or recommendation'' made during government deliberations.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/minister-used-his-own-number...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1909 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:39am

Ted's 'Road to Nowhere'

February 1, 2012

The road to the planned Caroline Springs railway station. Photo: Justin McManus

THE future of a much needed train station in Melbourne's booming western growth corridor remains in limbo with Premier Ted Baillieu refusing to name a date when the planned Caroline Springs station would be delivered - despite the government building a new road to the station site.

Quizzed on ABC local radio about when the Baillieu government would deliver the station, Mr Baillieu said: ''I will have to check on the date, but Caroline Springs obviously there are commitments there, and the timing of that I would have to double check on that.''

When questioned late yesterday, the Baillieu government revealed there was no date for the construction of the station.

Melton Council mayor Justin Mammarella said the council wanted a commitment from the government.

He said it was essential the station was funded in the coming financial year ''to alleviate the chronic shortage of public transport available to one of the fastest growing municipalities in Australia''.

''It is incomprehensible that the Victorian government has failed to recognise the urgent need our community has in terms of effective public transport options,'' he said.

Opposition public transport spokeswoman Fiona Richardson said ''the only thing that the Liberals have delivered at Caroline Springs station is a road to nowhere''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/caroline-springs-station-in-limbo-20120131-1qr...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1910 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:11pm

Hi All,

Thought I’d share this (OFF POLITIC) moment with you – that happened on Monday
I’d been on the couch all morning – wrapped in a doona – with just the screen-door closed for the dogs to look out of and to get a bit of air in the place

Fionnlagh, at 6 months barks at all and everything, started carrying on about SOMETHING outside, so I let him out

He made a b-line to a large clump of native grass – about 5 metres from the front door He was terrorising some creature, I’ assumed to be a field mouse or some-such
I headed over to rescue it

Up next to it ...

A FIELD MOUSE ?

NO !

He’d bailed up, “sparring” and snapping at a 5 to 6 foot Victorian TIGER SNAKE   

( ... like this one)

So ... where do we go from HERE ?

Without a second thought I jumped around the snake and chased Fin off ( ... in shorts and barefoot, I could move very quickly)

I EVENTUALLY caught him and brought him back to the house, by which time the snake had gone – HOPEFULLY not under the deck

I emailed the BF who phoned around for a snake catcher – who was here in an hour or so
But after an hour and a half of very thorough searching ... under the deck, under the house ( ... you can have THAT on your own I said)  NOTHING, not even a sand trail

The “snake man” said you’d NORMALLY only find tigers where you kept chooks or aviary birds – so we’re putting it down to the smell he must have detected from the rosella, cockatoo and magpie poop – where I put seed and food scraps out for them a few metres away

I’ll get that all cleaned up – and we agreed we’d probably seen the last of him

In 3 years we’ve never seen so much as a shed skin – let alone a FULL one

We are BAFFLED as to how Fin escaped a bite – apart from being VERY quick and killing small snakes, rats and mice were the tasks he was bred for

Handy thing, INSTINCT
i

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1911 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:56pm

Just one question. If that nasty tiger snake managed to bite you what colour would you bleed? Red, Blue, Yellow, Chartreuse, electric blue, or purple?

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #1912 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 5:06pm

You are slipping Buzz!!!

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/costello-gutted-over-vic-pokies-ba...

Long-time anti-gambling campaigner the Rev Tim Costello has savaged the Victorian government's broken election promise on voluntary pokies pre-commitment, saying he has given up on state governments.

The chair of the National Churches Gambling Taskforce was "shattered" when Prime Minister Julia Gillard broke her agreement with independent federal MP Andrew Wilkie to legislate for a national roll-out of mandatory pre-commitment technology by May 8 this year.

On Sunday, Mr Costello was furious the Baillieu government had decided not to keep its pledge to introduce voluntary pre-commitment technology in gaming venues by 2013.

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1913 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 11:31pm

Age/Nielsen poll

Michelle Grattan
February 6, 2012

In Victoria, Labor's fortunes have dramatically turned around since December - it leads 55-45 per cent on a two-party vote.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/lifeline-for-besieged-gillard-20120205-1qzvo.h...i

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1914 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 10:41am

Victorian cops are quitting in droves

February 06, 2012

COPS are quitting the service at a rate of four a week amid predictions that keeping officers will get harder.

More than a third of police officers have 10 or fewer years' experience, latest figures obtained by the Herald Sun under Freedom of Information laws show.

Police command predicted the average length of service - which has remained at about 14 years for the past decade - would fall as it continues to recruit 1700 extra police officers and 940 protective services officers.

The Police Association also flagged retention would be harder.

Eighty-two officers resigned within their first 12 months in the six years to June 2010, leaving a bill of several million dollars.

More than 1250 officers - or just over 10 per cent of the 11,588 officers - had three or fewer years' experience.

Officers on the beat for 31 to 40 years had the biggest proportion of those who resigned, followed by cops in the job for four to 10 years.

Almost half of the officers who quit retired and were aged 50 to 64.

Just 28 people have signed up to be part of the second intake of armed guards to work at railway stations.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/cops-are-quitting-in-droves/story-fn7...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1915 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:05am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 11:31pm:
Age/Nielsen poll

Michelle Grattan
February 6, 2012

In Victoria, Labor's fortunes have dramatically turned around since December - it leads 55-45 per cent on a two-party vote.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/lifeline-for-besieged-gillard-20120205-1qzvo.h...i

As predicted ...

With it's "bender" over, Victoria eventually comes to - with a MASSIVE hangover - rubbing it's eyes, scratching it's head - and groaning ...

"WHAT THE F**K was I THINKING !"

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1916 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 8:29am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 11:03pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:20pm:
The whole "NOISE" aspect is UTTER NONSENSE !

Unlike the "Landscape Guardians", "juliar" - and the REST of the TROGLODYTES - I have PHYSICALLY "been there"

These installations are (naturally) located in rural, VERY WINDY, locations

You cannot detect ANY noise from the turbines past 500 metres - due to the sound of the wind roaring through the trees

Yet people are believing ( ... in the case of http://hepburnwind.com.au/ ) they can hear them from one and half KILOMETRES away - over the sound of overnight freight lorries rumbling down the highway a kilometre away

The NEAREST neighbours ( ... a retired couple) have given the project their BLESSING - fron a KM away

The loudest WHINGER is one
Jan Perry - of " ...the Guardians"
- from near 2KM away

buzzanddidj wrote on Dec 21st, 2011 at 8:33am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:40am:
Quote:
Now wind farm opponents have been handed victory on a plate. The Government’s new policy has three main elements:

the government will amend planning laws to give households power to veto wind turbines within two kilometres of their homes.

Turbines will also be banned in the Macedon and McHarg ranges, in the Yarra Valley, on the Mornington and Bellarine peninsulas, and within five kilometres of the Great Ocean Road and the Bass Coast.

And in changes that go further than the Coalition flagged in the policy it took to last year’s state election, turbines will also be prohibited within five kilometres of 21 Victorian regional centres.

Wind farms approved by Labor and not yet built will not be affected.

The Government claims that 92% of the state is still available for wind farm development, but the people who build them have a different view.

Pacific Hydro say that they will be pursuing opportunities elsewhere after completing current projects.

The Clean Energy Council estimated prior to the election that $3.6 billion worth of investments would not go ahead under the Coalition’s policy.

Make that up to $10 billion according to Giles Parkinson at Climate Spectator. Earlier Parkinson had written about the negativity coming from right-wing governments on climate change policy.

Barry O’Farrell is on record saying he doesn’t want any more wind farms built
The wind doesn’t blow so consistently in Queensland, so theoretically there should be opportunities in South Australia

New rules blamed for wind farm loss

September 01, 2011

A developer has scrapped plans for a wind farm project in south-west Victoria because of the State Government's new planning rules.

The company's managing director, David Shapiro, says it is now abandoning the development.

"The Victorian Government has changed the rules and as those rules stand now it simply wouldn't get through the planning framework," he said.

"Our reading of the situation is that really was the intention of Government to make development more difficult."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-01/new-rules-blamed-for-wind-farm-loss/286583...

Mr Shapiro says the company is unlikely to launch new developments in Victoria.

The Planning Minister has said the new rules would not threaten investment in wind energy.

Mr "Planning" Minister ...
Investment is ALREADY leaving - in the BILLIONS

... to be welcomed with open arms, in South Australia - a state that BACKS investment in renewable, clean energy

I dropped by the Hepburn Wind site today, on the way to Melbourne, for Father's Day
I got out of the car, about 200 metres from the nearest turbine

I expected a gentle "hum" from this distance ...
But between the occassional bird noise - and a passing car -
GOLDEN SILENCE

The LOUDEST opponenent FROM where I was, lives over a kilometre FURTHER in the same direction - on the other side of the Daylesford-Ballan Road

She must be Superwoman, with that sort of hearing

This photo was  a FAKE ...

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2010/12/02/1225964/789277-jan-perry-101202....

"It’s right at our front door" . . . Jan Perry, president of Landscape Guardians anti-wind farm group, at Leonards Hill, northeast of Melbourne, yesterday. Picture: Stuart McEvoy Source: The Australian

... set up by JAN PERRY ( ... of Landscape Guardians) 
and on the payroll of Peter Mitchell
, a founding chairman of the Moonie Oil Company and now chairman of Lowell Pty Ltd, which runs an investment fund focused on oil, coal seamgas and minerals.

and "The Australian" newspaper

Hepburn Wind has TWO turbines
NEITHER of which had been erected at the photo's time of publication

AND - underground exit cables

i

This is Jan Perry's LATEST bout of erratic behaviour ...
A sign in the window of a clothing and "nick-nack" shop she owns in Daylesford called "Kabuki"

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/buzzanddidj/kabuki.jpg

It should be pointed out, she doesn't live "under 120m turbines" - but, rather, a kilometre and a half away
She is by no means the closest neighbour - but the ONLY complainer

SHE - and she ALONE - could have stopped the Hepburn Wind project under Ted Baillieu's anti-renewable energy legislation

Yet the REST of the community, COMBINED, couldn't stop a coal mine and ajoining coal-fired power plant

http://baddevelopers.nfshost.com/Pics/PORTLAND/anglesea3.jpg

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #1917 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 10:50pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-10/leaked-documents-show-toughening-stance-in...

The Victorian nurses union has accused the Victorian Hospitals Industrial Association of becoming more rigid in its attempts to settle their ongoing industrial dispute

The ABC has obtained a copy of what is understood to be the latest position from hospital management.

Under the plan, hospitals would be able to disregard nurse to patient ratios if they can not afford to maintain them.

The plan also says hospital management can ignore ratio requirements when rostering.

Hospitals would also be able to use an unlimited number of lower-skilled health assistants to make-up ratios and be able to change nurse to patient ratios at any time during a shift.

All parties to the dispute are banned from commenting about specific details of what happens at Fair Work Australia talks.

The Australian Nursing Federation Victorian secretary, Lisa Fitzpatrick says as the talks have dragged on, the position taken by hospital management and and the State Government's has worsened.

"Certainly as the detail has been nutted out around the negotiating table their position has worsened," she said.

But Alec Djoneff of the Victorian Hospitals Industry Association disputes this, saying management wants to retain ratios but make them more flexible.

"We have steadfastly said we will retain ratios provided we can have some flexibility within them," he said.

Frustrated with the stalled negotiations, nurses plan to doorknock the marginal state Liberal electorate of Bentleigh this weekend and are considering mass resignations.

Nurses are pushing for an 18.5 per cent pay rise over three years and guaranteed staffing levels or nurse-patient ratios.

The Government has offered a 2.5 per cent pay rise plus productivity gains

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #1918 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 5:25pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:01am:
Ballarat helipad questions go unanswered

FIONA HENDERSON
25 Mar, 2011 10:11 PM

HEALTH Minister David Davis has “dodged” questions about a proposed Ballarat helipad, according to Western Victoria MLC Jaala Pulford.
Ms Pulford put four written questions to Mr Davis about the state government’s $2 million pre-election helipad commitment, but said his answers were a “cover-up”.

“It seems to me that they are trying to hide the fact that the Liberal government hasn’t done anything to get Ballarat’s helipad built,” Ms Pulford said.

Ms Pulford said she was worried the government was stalling.

“I am concerned that the coalition government is dodging questions about the helipad for one reason only, that they haven’t done anything to progress the helipad and get it built.”

Hospitals Emergency Landing Pad (HELP) member and long-time helipad campaigner Carole Simmons said she was starting to feel disillusioned about the lack of government action.

“It’s disappointing more than anything because it’s a genuine cause,” Ms Simmons said.

“The community realises we do need this. I just feel like we’re treading water.

Ms Knight said Ballarat deserved answers about the helipad.

“Why won’t the government say ‘yes we promised it, yes we’ve made budgetary provision for it, yes it’s going ahead’. Or maybe they haven’t made provisions for it?,” Ms Knight said

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/ballarat-helipad-questions-...

The Minister's "newspeak" response ...

“The government is advancing the implementation of its election commitments and is being supported by all relevant departments, including the Department of Treasury and Finance”

UPDATE ...

Government tight-lipped on helipad funding

BY JENNIFER GREIVE
11 Feb, 2012 12:50 AM

THE state government has refused to confirm ( ... or deny) whether funding for a helipad in Ballarat will be included in the May budget.

Health Minister David Davis announced in October the government’s decision to build the helipad facility at Ballarat Health Services Base Hospital.

In November, a report was published online detailing the four options that have been short listed for the site.

But a decision on where the helipad will be built is yet to be made public, and a timeline for the project – including details of how much it is expected to cost – has not been disclosed.

Mr Davis’s spokesman Nathan Robinson said the government was not in a position to pre-empt budget measures.

“(The helipad) is an item to be funded
in future years
,” Mr Robinson said.

“We can’t anticipate the budget and we can’t announce things or speculate about things that may or may not be in the budget.”

Mr Robinson said the Department of Health was still considering a location for the helipad.

“A decision will be made as part of the budget process,” he said.

Ballarat West MP Sharon Knight said she was concerned the government would not deliver on its promise.

“When you look at the forward estimates, there is nothing – nothing for the next four years,”
Ms Knight said.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/government-tightlipped-on-h...

FAIL

( ... the promise of a life saving helicopter ambulance facility was announced in the 2010 State Election campaign)i

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #1919 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 11:15am

Ted & Andy's "prison led recovery"

February 12, 2012

PREMIER Ted Baillieu has unveiled his first plan to help solve Victoria's growing jobs crisis - creating more than 1000 new occupations in state prisons.
The jail-led jobs recovery will be unveiled by the Baillieu Government today in response to growing concerns about sackings, particularly in the manufacturing industry.

The plan will see at least 1178 new jobs created at five prisons throughout Victoria - 690 in construction roles created by expansion of the jails to create more prison beds and 288 in permanent roles such as prison wardens, health-care workers and cleaners.

It emerges as Mr Baillieu visited Alcoa's Point Henry smelter where 600 workers are in danger of losing their jobs.

The Government has promised hundreds more building jobs and a further 200 staff posts in prison projects between now and the 2014 Victorian election.

It expects its prison expansion program to create at least 1500 jobs in total in the next three years.

The jobs plan - detailed exclusively to the Sunday Herald Sun - comes on the back of more than 162,000 Victorians being sacked or retrenched in the past year and with 600 workers at Geelong's Alcoa plant fighting to keep their jobs.

Mr Baillieu said new prison infrastructure would boost the economy.

"These investments are generating new jobs during construction and permanent roles," he said.

"This is positive news for metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria."

Corrections Minister Andrew McIntosh said the prison system expansion would spark economic growth in towns near the prisons by tapping into local food, accommodation and other industries.

The jail-jobs pledge could generate more employment, with the Government considering a $2 million business case for construction of a new 1000-bed Victorian prison.

If it goes ahead, the new jail would create hundreds more construction and permanent jobs.

The Premier yesterday told Alcoa staff: "If anybody thinks that there is a magical solution that will occur overnight, I think they're misunderstanding the nature of this difficulty."

The Government has promised 500 new prison beds in its first term and has already opened 108 at Dhurringile and Langi Kal Kal.

While more prison jobs are created, 3600 positions will be lost in the public service over the next two years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/jails-to-lead-the-jobs-recovery/story...

Quote:
Richo of Melbourne

Posted at 2:04 PM February 12, 2012

Ted, let's put spending to better use.
How about building
new hospitals
and fixing the
appalling health system
we have.
What about our
ageing schools
and investment into
new roads
or ie. a new tunnel linking the west to the city,
the Westgate bridge is at capacity.

Ted tax payers demand better of you.
This plan is a slap in the face to all law abiding tax payers.

Lift your game mate

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2012 at 2:35pm by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 ... 134
Send Topic Print