buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #840 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:53pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:46pm:
Ah yes a Lord Mayor.

They are worth their weight in gold for their opinions eh?

When I lived in Melbourne we had a Chinese fella who could hardly speak English as Mayor.

Melbourne Lord Mayor John So has had his cult status confirmed globally after being voted World's Best Mayor in an international poll.

Cr So snared 16,000 votes in the 2006 poll organised by worldmayor.com, leaving Amsterdam's runner-up mayor, who scored a paltry 11,000 votes, in his wake.

Cr So beat a pool of 676 other mayors to take out the title, and will be awarded with a trophy early next year.

Voters, who were encouraged to leave persuasive comments at the worldmayor site to back up their choice, emphasised Cr So's enthusiasm for his job, his good humour and his journey as a migrant success story.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/so-popular-hes-out-of-this-world/2006/12/...

Voters' comments at worldmayor.com:

"John So is a rock star in a mayor's body! The entire city loves him like no other man before him."

"John So for World Mayor; heck, John So for World President!!! Just keep Melbourne his base so we don't lose him."

"John So is a magnet that brings all Melburnians together. He is a gentle and unassuming fellow who seems to genuinely have his fellow citizens at heart. A ready smile, a warm heart and a concern for all who live in Melbourne."

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:06pm by buzzanddidj »  

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #841 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:56pm

Because it just makes you burst with pride to have your city's mayor seen as a figure of fun with an inability to speak proper Engriiish.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #842 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:17pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Ah yes a Lord Mayor.

When I lived in Melbourne we had a Chinese fella who could hardly speak English as Mayor.

Melbourne Lord Mayor John So has had his cult status confirmed globally after being voted World's Best Mayor in an international poll.

Cr So snared 16,000 votes in the 2006 poll organised by worldmayor.com, leaving Amsterdam's runner-up mayor, who scored a paltry 11,000 votes, in his wake.

Cr So beat a pool of 676 other mayors to take out the title, and will be awarded with a trophy early next year.

Voters, who were encouraged to leave persuasive comments at the worldmayor site to back up their choice, emphasised Cr So's enthusiasm for his job, his good humour and his journey as a migrant success story.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/so-popular-hes-out-of-this-world/2006/12/...

"John So is a rock star in a mayor's body! The entire city loves him like no other man before him."

"John So for World Mayor; heck, John So for World President!!! Just keep Melbourne his base so we don't lose him."

"John So is a magnet that brings all Melburnians together. He is a gentle and unassuming fellow who seems to genuinely have his fellow citizens at heart. A ready smile, a warm heart and a concern for all who live in Melbourne."

SO   smacking   WHAT 
Angry

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #843 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:18pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:58am:
COMMUTERS have slammed a government decision to slash city train services in the biggest shakeup in over a decade.

It comes as Transport Minister Terry Mulder confirmed plans to slash hundreds of train services through the city loop and cut the number of express trains on some lines.

It is the new minister's first major initiative since the November election.
Mr Mulder said he had been advised to cut the services to enable more reliable services

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/city-loop-cuts-anger-commuters/story-e...

Kim, who gets the train from Tooronga on the Glen Waverley line, said the changes would be annoying as she had to start work at 7am.
"I get one of the first trains. I will now have to get off at Richmond," the 27-year-old said

Hamish Low said the change would be irritating.
The student and retail worker lives in Malvern and catches the train to and from the city from Tooronga station.
"The alternative route is much more time consuming for me, I will probably have to get off at Richmond and it would add on a bit of time," he said.

Another commuter Massoud Alamashah who gets the train too and from Kooyong said the changes would mean he would have to allow more time to get to work.
"It's annoying. I will have to leave earlier."
i

And what's happening in the
'MARGINALS'
- with the state OWNED and RUN V/Line services ?

Hundreds of extra seats for busy trains from Monday
V/Line media release
13 December 2010

An extra 1230 seats will be added to busy Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and Seymour line trains from Monday (December 13).

New VLocity trains, and a statewide redeployment of the V/Line fleet, will boost seating on some peak and off-peak services.

Since June 2008, 22 new VLocity carriages helped V/Line to post record patronage levels in the past four consecutive years.

Twelve of the extra carriages were delivered over the past few months and a further 24 are due next year, V/Line Chief Executive Officer Rob Barnett said.

“The new trains and carriages have given us flexibility to put them where they are needed most and retire some of our oldest trains,” Mr Barnett said.

Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder said it was an exciting time to oversee growth on V/Line’s country train and coach network.

“As Victoria’s first country-based Minister for Transport in more than a decade, I have long been a strong advocate for better transport for country Victorians. This marks the start of a new era for our state,” Mr Mulder said.

From Monday the Geelong line will have an extra 280 seats each weekday, the Ballarat line 540 more seats, Bendigo 280 more seats, and an extra 130 seats for Seymour line passengers.

http://www.vline.com.au/about/news/mediareleases/2114135716/?hideleftnav=1&hideh...

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #844 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:19pm

'What about Myki John?"

Grin

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #845 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:22pm

FRED. wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:17pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Ah yes a Lord Mayor.

SO   smacking   WHAT  
Angry

Ask the WHINGING POM

HE'S the one who threw in the race comments

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #846 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:25pm

No.

I said he couldn't speak English.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #847 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:31pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:25pm:
No.

I said he couldn't speak English.

Your (and Mummy and Papa's) views in those of Chinese descent, in Australia, are widely known

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #848 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 1:47pm

Plans to slash train services running through the City Loop have angered some commuters and the opposition as the Baillieu government prepares to introduce the biggest shake-up of Melbourne's train timetables in 15 years.

Transport Minister Terry Mulder also confirmed he had
backed a proposal by rail operator Metro
that will
cut its penalty payments
but risks angering Melbourne's frustrated public transport users.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/anger-as-metro-plan-leaves-passengers-out-of-t...

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #849 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 2:37pm

To sum up The  Baillieu Government  so far its clear to see that  ~ All their promises disappeared from their website immediately after the election ~  this thread shows the reason as to why !

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #850 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 3:29pm

Quote:

To sum up The  Baillieu Government  so far its clear to see that  ~ All their promises disappeared from their website immediately after the election ~  this thread shows the reason as to why !

Hmmmmmm, remind you of anything??

KEVIN Rudd is yet to deliver on dozens of election commitments, leaving a trail of backflips and broken promises as he prepares to fight for a second term.

A Herald Sun analysis of Labor's 2007 election commitments reveal many have been quietly axed or are far from being met.

The Prime Minister apologised to the Stolen Generations and signed the Kyoto Protocol, but just one of 2650 promised trades training centres will accept students this semester.

Of 260 childcare centres he pledged would be built in schools and TAFES, only one has opened its doors.

And just two of Labor's 31 promised GP Super Clinics are fully operational.

Promised Healthy Kids Checks have failed to make an impact on preschooler health, with GPs seeing just 62,823 children so far.

Plans to attract retired nurses back into hospitals have also bombed, with just 752 accepting a $6000 return-to-work bonus. Labor hoped 7750 would take up the offer.

And 52 of a promised 2500 new aged care beds have been opened within two years.

Labor's election policies have been removed from the ALP website, but a copy of the website as it was on election day has been preserved by the National Library of Australia.

Promised A-E grading of childcare centres, listed on the site, has been dumped.

A replacement grading system will use terms such as "unsatisfactory", "operating level" and "national quality standard" to assess childcare standards.

The much-vaunted "education revolution" is taking its time putting computers on desks - only 28 per cent of promised computers have been delivered halfway into a four-year program.

The Government's biggest broken promise was largely outside its control as it pushed the Budget into deficit to fight-off recession.

Other big ticket promises such as Grocerywatch and Fuelwatch have fallen by the wayside, while the Government is yet to take Japan to court to save the whales

Grin  Grin

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #851 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 4:16pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 3:29pm:
Quote:

To sum up The  Baillieu Government  so far its clear to see that  ~ All their promises disappeared from their website immediately after the election ~  this thread shows the reason as to why !

KEVIN Rudd is yet to deliver on dozens of election commitments, leaving a trail of backflips and broken promises as he prepares to fight for a second term.

A Herald Sun analysis of Labor's 2007 election commitments reveal many have been quietly axed or are far from being met.

The Prime Minister apologised to the Stolen Generations and signed the Kyoto Protocol, but just one of 2650 promised trades training centres will accept students this semester.

Of 260 childcare centres he pledged would be built in schools and TAFES, only one has opened its doors.

Promised Healthy Kids Checks have failed to make an impact on preschooler health, with GPs seeing just 62,823 children so far.

Plans to attract retired nurses back into hospitals have also bombed, with just 752 accepting a $6000 return-to-work bonus. Labor hoped 7750 would take up the offer.

Labor's election policies have been removed from the ALP website, but a copy of the website as it was on election day has been preserved by the National Library of Australia.

A replacement grading system will use terms such as "unsatisfactory", "operating level" and "national quality standard" to assess childcare standards.

The much-vaunted "education revolution" is taking its time putting computers on desks - only 28 per cent of promised computers have been delivered halfway into a four-year program.

The Government's biggest broken promise was largely outside its control as it pushed the Budget into deficit to fight-off recession.

Other big ticket promises such as Grocerywatch and Fuelwatch have fallen by the wayside, while the Government is yet to take Japan to court to save the whales

Grin  Grin

Look , I could point out a few pointers but 'been there done that'.  To make it short ~ so, it's ok for a Liberal government to do the same?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #852 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:26pm

Rail planning more broken than ever: fix it, say users
January 19th, 2011

The new Metro train timetable shows why urgent reform is needed in public transport planning, the Public Transport Users Association (PTUA) said today.

While Metro’s new timetable, to take effect from May, brings some extra services, it comes at a cost. Some stations have their peak services reduced, and run at confusing 22 minute frequencies.

PTUA President Daniel Bowen said other issues likely to raise the ire of passengers included changes to the city loop, reduced off-peak services on the outer section of the Werribee line.

“In July 2009 the Werribee line was upgraded to run about every 10 minutes on weekdays between the peaks. It was said with much fanfare that 10 minute services would be the way of the future, yet they’re axing them just 18 months later.

Why did they bother going to every 10 minutes only to downgrade it again so soon?”

Mr Bowen said that the push for more punctual peak train services was laudable, and that the PTUA supported the re-write of timetables to remove the current “dog’s breakfast” of inconsistent frequencies and confusing stopping patterns.

But he said
the new timetable was a textbook example of poor planning
and pointed to the urgency of getting the new government’s Public Transport Development Authority up and running.

“Someone has to take charge and make this system work for passengers.
The Baillieu Government promised an end to this kind of planning failure and now they have to follow through”,
Mr Bowen concluded.

http://www.ptua.org.au/2011/01/19/rail-planning-broken/#more-1810

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #853 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:39am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 3:29pm:
Quote:

Grin  Grin

A typical labor govt permformance!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

random_person_942345

Australian Politics

Reply #854 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:21pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:39am:
A typical labor govt permformance!

Seems typical of both Labor and the Coalition (and the Greens) - promise the world, then back down on most of the commitments once in power. I'm looking forward to the day where politicians treat us like the intelligent adults we are and just tell us frankly that something is possible or not.

Rather than trying to one-up their opposition until their promises amount to every major project you could dream about, tax cuts for the country, world-class education and hospitals and police and military, and still manage to post a surplus every Budget!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 134
Send Topic Print