Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #885 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:03am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 9:56am:
But, BACK on topic ...

LOL Back on topic?

A 59 page personal meltdown following the belting of a poor Labor Government.

The ranting of a guy blaming a new Government for the failures of a decade long Government?

A guy who thinks a Government over-spending by $35m and being 5 years behind schedule is ok?

The topic, my friend, is frightening ludicrous.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #886 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:16am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:03am:
But, BACK on topic ...

LOL Back on topic?

The ranting of a guy blaming a new Government for the failures of a decade long Government?

A guy who thinks a Government over-spending by $35m and being 5 years behind schedule is ok?

So, we take it the
20 BILLION
(not million) buyback is a
"NO GO"
zone ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #887 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:57am

COMMUTERS could face
more hardship
with plans to upgrade and staff 15 suburban rail stations under review by the Baillieu Government.

After
increasing fares
and
cutting services
on some lines, the Government is looking at ditching Labor's pledge to boost safety by providing staff from first to last train at key stations.

Instead, the
much longer-term promise
of putting tw
o protective service officers
on every station platform after dark will take priority.

Rail, Train and Bus Union state secretary Trevor Dobbyn yesterday said the public wanted more fully operational stations, quickly.

"At present, fewer than 80 of Melbourne's 211 stations are staffed from first to last train," he said.

"It is vital that the premium stations upgrade continues."

Upgrades for five stations -- Parkdale, Prahran, Holmesglen, Upwey and Ormond -- have been fully financed in the 2010-11 state Budget and will go ahead

But plans for the other 15 stations to be upgraded, as promised by former premier John Brumby in May, are being "reviewed"

They include Seaford, Westall, Moonee Ponds, Hoppers Crossing, North Brighton, East Richmond and Northcote

Opposition Transport spokeswoman Fiona Richardson said rather than improving our public transport system, Ted Baillieu was determined to deliver more bad news for commuters.

"After announcing fare hikes, cuts to train services and now scrapping important station upgrades, this Liberal Premier is determined to punish commuters," she said

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/state-government-derails-train-staff/s...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #888 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:45pm

Battle of the high country cattle
January 26, 2011

LURKING behind the debate over alpine grazing is the issue of who knows best how to manage the land.

At its most basic, it's an issue of local knowledge versus interference by "ignorant city greenies".

Victoria's Alpine  National Park is Crown land and, as such, it belongs equally to all Victorians.

That means every Victorian has the right to comment on its management.

For this reason, over the past 40 years or so, a series of government-led independent inquiries (open to input from all Victorians, and supported by both sides of politics) systematically looked at all public land across the state.

Some people have been surprised that that process resulted in large areas being protected for all time as national parks and other conservation reserves.

But abundant evidence emerged that Victoria's biodiversity - our 500 million-year-old natural heritage - was seriously in trouble

And it was clear that the only way to look after that heritage was to protect and restore the great range of native ecosystems in the state.

Business as usual, where we logged, grazed or otherwise, revealed these areas as resources weren't working.

There was never any suggestion that the land should be "locked up" and left to fend for itself.

On the contrary, it was, and still is, abundantly clear that the protection of that heritage needs active management.

Looking after about 100,000 native species across Victoria is no easy task.

It won't happen by relying on 19th-century land management practices, such as cattle grazing, any more than we can reliably cure cancer using leeches

In this day and age, we have to move into science-based management to make sure the vast and irreplaceable species diversity out there stays with us.

There is already abundant evidence grazing doesn't significantly affect fire at a landscape scale.

This grazing trial has all the hallmarks of
political intervention disguised as science.

If we are to secure our natural heritage we need to take science out of the hands of politicians, and restore its integrity.

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2011/01/26/285971_opinion-news.html

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2011 at 3:02pm by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #889 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:57pm

SCIENTISTS and the Victorian Government are waging a war of words over Alpine National Park grazing.

Victorian Environment Minister Ryan Smith said last week there was "a general lack of peer-reviewed science" on whether grazing in the Alpine National Park reduced the threat of fire.

But scientists have attacked the Government for the statement and for putting cattle into the park before deciding the methodology for the study.

Melbourne University alpine ecology and climate adaptation expert Prof Ary Hoffmann said there was "a lot of research" on whether grazing reduced fires.

He said such research had produced "no strong evidence that grazing suppresses fire in the alpine area".

He said it "certainly" wasn't sound scientific practice to introduce cattle to the national park before finalising the experiment itself.

"You decide what questions you want answered, think about vigorous scientific method, have the method scrutinised through peer review, then start your experiment - normally this would take 12 months," Prof Hoffmann said.

"This doesn't seem to be going through the methods one expects for quality science."

P
rof Mark Adams, who will lead the research, said he was asked to do so only on December 23 last year.

He branded the Government's press release announcing the trial "amusing", and said only one year of funding had been discussed for the six-year trial.

"The nature and scope (of the trial) is still to be agreed on," Prof Adams said.

The Australian Academy of Science had said in a submission to the previous government that
cattle did not reduce fire risk or intensity as they did not eat shrubs, sticks, or the most fuel-heavy areas of the forest.

A CSIRO fact sheet said evidence and research suggested cattle did not "reduce the incidence and intensity of fire by grazing the vegetation".

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2011/01/26/286091_latest-news.html

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #890 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 3:00pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:16am:
But, BACK on topic ...

LOL Back on topic?

So, we take it the
20 BILLION
"NO GO"
zone ?

Apparently SO

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #891 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:33pm

THE State Government has ignored the plight of a pensioner ordered to pay the legal fees of killer Derek Percy.
The Supreme Court has ordered that Jean Priest, 72, must pay Percy's legal bill after she lost the first stage of her fight to force him to give evidence about his suspected part in the killing of her daughter, seven-year-old Linda Stilwell, in 1968.

But the State Government has refused to weigh into the issue, and has not returned calls to heraldsun.com.au,  despite their "tough on crime" stance prior to the Novemeber election.

Ms Priest, pictured holding a cherished photo of Linda, is a community volunteer who lives in a retirement village.

She says she could be bankrupted by Percy, who has amassed a fortune of up to $300,000 from a navy pension he receives in jail.

The grieving grandmother plans one last bid for justice before the Court of Appeal, but she may face a total legal bill from Percy of $80,000 if that appeal fails.

"We now have a bill for $32,247 and I don't know how I am going to pay that. I have no way of doing that," a tearful Ms Priest told the Herald Sun.

"I can't sleep at night.

"Prisoners seem to have all the rights, victims have no rights."

Percy, 62, is Victoria's longest-serving prisoner and remains in jail for the mutilation killing of Yvonne Tuohy, 12, less than 12 months after Linda disappeared.

Linda's body has never been found.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sick-killers-32000-pay-day/story-e6frf...i

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #892 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:53pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:33pm:
THE State Government has ignored the plight of a pensioner ordered to pay the legal fees of killer Derek Percy.
The Supreme Court has ordered that Jean Priest, 72, must pay Percy's legal bill after she lost the first stage of her fight to force him to give evidence about his suspected part in the killing of her daughter, seven-year-old Linda Stilwell, in 1968.

But the State Government has refused to weigh into the issue, and has not returned calls to heraldsun.com.au,  despite their "tough on crime" stance prior to the Novemeber election.

Ms Priest, pictured holding a cherished photo of Linda, is a community volunteer who lives in a retirement village.

She says she could be bankrupted by Percy, who has amassed a fortune of up to $300,000 from a navy pension he receives in jail.

The grieving grandmother plans one last bid for justice before the Court of Appeal, but she may face a total legal bill from Percy of $80,000 if that appeal fails.

"We now have a bill for $32,247 and I don't know how I am going to pay that. I have no way of doing that," a tearful Ms Priest told the Herald Sun.

"I can't sleep at night.

Percy, 62, is Victoria's longest-serving prisoner and remains in jail for the mutilation killing of Yvonne Tuohy, 12, less than 12 months after Linda disappeared.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sick-killers-32000-pay-day/story-e6frf...i

HOW MANY YEARS HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON BUZZTARD  PRIOR TO TED FOR FSAKE WANKER   Wink

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #893 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:00pm

"I can't sleep at night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sick-killers-32000-pay-day/story-e6frf...

Since when can the State, or Federal Governments for that matter weigh in on matters before the court?

You know better, and your 60 page meltdown is just embarrassing for you know.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #894 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:04pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 10:16am:
But, BACK on topic ...

LOL Back on topic?

So, we take it the
20 BILLION
"NO GO"
zone ?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #895 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:07pm

FRED. wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:53pm:

"I can't sleep at night.

HOW MANY YEARS HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON BUZZTARD  PRIOR TO TED FOR FSAKE WANKER   Wink

Baillieu was going to put a STOP to this sort of court ruling
But has refused to even COMMENT

The ball's in HIS court

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #896 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:14pm

Quote:
..... your 60 page meltdown is just embarrassing for you know.

But MORE embarrassing for the
"Baillieu Boosters"
to see it re-surface with MORE expose on bungled policy, inaction and budget blowout projections

And ALL in the first eight weeks

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #897 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:57pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:07pm:
FRED. wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:53pm:

"I can't sleep at night.

HOW MANY YEARS HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON BUZZTARD  PRIOR TO TED FOR FSAKE WANKER   Wink

Baillieu was going to put a STOP to this sort of court ruling
But has refused to even COMMENT

The ball's in HIS court

And the matter was long before the courts before he came to power.

You know there is nothing he can do about cases already before the court.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #898 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 5:48pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:14pm:
Quote:

"Baillieu Boosters"
to see it re-surface with MORE expose on bungled policy, inaction and budget blowout projections

Yeah but a program noted by healthcare professionals as 'embarrasing', a decade of healthcare failure, a project $35m over budget and 5 years behind schedule?

All good?

Luckily the rest of us Victorians are a little more objective and KICKED THEM OUT OF BOTH HOUSES.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2011 at 6:05pm by Andrei.Hicks »  

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Buzz's meltdown: JOIN THE PARTY!!!!
Reply #899 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 6:04pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 5:48pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:14pm:
Quote:

Yeah but a program noted by healthcare professionals as 'embarrasing', a decade of healthcare failure, a project $35m over budget and 5 years behind schedule?

All good?

Luckily the rest of us Victorians are a little more objective and KICKED THEM OUT OF BOTH HOUSES.

"Baillieu Boosters"

COME ONE, COME ALL... Now in its 60th page and still running!

Read more of Buzz's ongoing spew against the audacity of the Liberals to trounce his beloved - and disgraced - Labor party.

Revel in the
large fonts
and
sparkly colours
! Witness the anger, spot the hypocrisy and double standards as we all watch and learn about how dangerous it is to tie yourself so close to a political party that their inevitable and regular trouncings destroy your credibility, your sanity and perhaps even your friendships.

Learn how both party's have ebbs and flows and how to protect yourself from 'Blinkered Buzzard's disease. It is rarely fatal but is known to reduce otherwise rational and thinking people to mere shadows of themselves as they grasp vainly for excuses for their 'precious party's failure.

How far can this thread go? Only the Buzzard knows!!!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 ... 134
Send Topic Print