Send Topic Print
BaillieuWatch (Read 65695 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #915 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:51am

"Uhhhh, can I just say thank you for your question... Uhhh I can't answer your question but I'll now drone on in a shockingly bogan accent and say absolutely nothing before just repeating and that's the policy"

What a dynamic Prime Minister we have....

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #916 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 2:58pm

nichy wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 9:35am:
Are you happy with the following Buzz ?

Spending cuts
Among green programs to but cut or scaled back will be the solar flagship programs, priority regional infrastrucutre, renewable energy, green start porgram and solar homes and communities.

Not in the SLIGHTEST
Though I DO see the logic

The trimming and/or suspension of rebate programs are the simplest - and swiftest - to apply, without any strong risk of destablising the economy

The MOST disappointing of this whole "thing" - is the poor show by the bulk of Australia in parting with
less than a dollar a week
in order to see Queenslanders get their lives back

THAT - and the APPALLING manner the Opposition have attemped to politicise the tragedy for political gain

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #917 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 3:10pm

Top scientists urge halt to alpine grazing trial

Melissa Fyfe
January 30, 2011

AUSTRALIA'S scientific community has condemned the Baillieu government's decision to return cattle grazing to the Alpine National Park under the banner of research.

In a letter to Environment Minister Ryan Smith, 125 scientists - including some of Australia's top experts in ecology, zoology, fire regimes, wetlands and threatened species - have called for the trials to be postponed. The scientists say the trials, designed to test whether grazing reduces bushfire, lack scientific integrity and warn that the government has potentially broken federal environment law.

Concern over the trials, which this month entailed 400 cattle being returned to the sensitive alpine environment, has spread to the highest reaches of the scientific community.

In an unusual move, the conservative Australian Academy of Science, a fellowship of the nation's most eminent scientists, has confirmed it is ''taking an interest'' in the issue.

The letter to Mr Smith was signed by 11 professors and nine associate professors.

The Bracks Labor government removed cattle from the national park in 2005 after an Alpine Grazing Taskforce found cattle damaged the environment and had no influence over fire behaviour.

A peer-reviewed CSIRO study in 2006 also found there were no scientific grounds that cattle grazing reduced fire risk. The government, however, now says there is a ''general lack of peer-reviewed science'' on the matter.

The Coalition, as part of its election bid to win back the seat of Gippsland East from independent Craig Ingram, promised the Mountain Cattlemen's Association of Victoria that its long-standing practice of national park cattle grazing would be reinstated. In return, the association campaigned strongly for the election of the Baillieu government.

Libby Rumpff, of the University of Melbourne's School of Botany, one of the scientists who signed the letter, said the trials set a dangerous precedent for national park management, failed to recognise previous research and used science as a vehicle for political gain. The trial design, she said, was not peer-reviewed - a normal scientific practice in controversial studies.

''The only fact that this trial can discover is that cows eat grass,'' Dr Rumpff said.

Cont ...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/top-scientists-urge-halt-to-alpine-grazing-tri...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #918 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 3:16pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 3:10pm:

Melissa Fyfe
January 30, 2011

AUSTRALIA'S scientific community has condemned the Baillieu government's decision to return cattle grazing to the Alpine National Park under the banner of research.

In a letter to Environment Minister Ryan Smith, 125 scientists - including some of Australia's top experts in ecology, zoology, fire regimes, wetlands and threatened species - have called for the trials to be postponed. The scientists say the trials, designed to test whether grazing reduces bushfire, lack scientific integrity and warn that the government has potentially broken federal environment law.

Concern over the trials, which this month entailed 400 cattle being returned to the sensitive alpine environment, has spread to the highest reaches of the scientific community.

In an unusual move, the conservative Australian Academy of Science, a fellowship of the nation's most eminent scientists, has confirmed it is ''taking an interest'' in the issue.

The letter to Mr Smith was signed by 11 professors and nine associate professors.

The Bracks Labor government removed cattle from the national park in 2005 after an Alpine Grazing Taskforce found cattle damaged the environment and had no influence over fire behaviour.

A peer-reviewed CSIRO study in 2006 also found there were no scientific grounds that cattle grazing reduced fire risk. The government, however, now says there is a ''general lack of peer-reviewed science'' on the matter.

The Coalition, as part of its election bid to win back the seat of Gippsland East from independent Craig Ingram, promised the Mountain Cattlemen's Association of Victoria that its long-standing practice of national park cattle grazing would be reinstated. In return, the association campaigned strongly for the election of the Baillieu government.

Libby Rumpff, of the University of Melbourne's School of Botany, one of the scientists who signed the letter, said the trials set a dangerous precedent for national park management, failed to recognise previous research and used science as a vehicle for political gain. The trial design, she said, was not peer-reviewed - a normal scientific practice in controversial studies.

''The only fact that this trial can discover is that cows eat grass,'' Dr Rumpff said.

Cont ...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/top-scientists-urge-halt-to-alpine-grazing-tri...

Seriously, what were they thinking, when they promised to facilitate this bogus 'trial' in the first instance!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #919 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 3:49pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 3:10pm:

Melissa Fyfe
January 30, 2011

Cont ...

It WASN'T a "trial" they PROMISED

They promised the return of full grazing access rights to the beef industry
They LATER discovered access rights were no longer under state jurisdiction - rather FEDERAL

So as to not lose face, the Baillieu Government found a legal loophole of putting in 400 head of cattle under the guise of
"scientific research"
in a face-saving exercise

A ploy leaned from the Japanese

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #920 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 9:23am

Record low road toll within reach as deaths fall

December 28, 2010

A DRAMATIC fall in the number of deaths on Victorian roads over the past two months has put the state within reach of posting its
lowest annual road toll on record.

With four days left in the year, the tally last night stood at 286, one more than this time last year. The record low toll of 290 was set last year.

Just two months ago, this year's toll was 17 higher than at the same time last year.

Advertisement: Story continues below The Transport Accident Commission and Victoria Police have welcomed the recent trend. But they warned there was
no room for complacency
and said there was little to be pleased about when hundreds of people were still being killed on the roads.

Earlier this month, the state's top traffic policeman, Ken Lay, told The Age that police felt enormous pressure after a horrific October in which 37 people were killed on the roads.

But in November the state had its lowest monthly road toll since records began in the 1950s, with just 12 people killed.

December usually brings a spike in the toll with the arrival of Christmas celebrations and holidays, but by last night only 23 people had died so far, among the lowest figures on record.

TAC spokesman Phil Reed said the recent reduction showed its long-term strategy to cut the annual toll to 237 by 2017 was working and vindicated the introduction of stricter road rules and more police enforcement.

''The fact the toll is lower is affirmation the strategy is working,'' Mr Reed said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/national/record-low-road-toll-within-reach-as-deaths-f...

Culture of speeding has to end

Peter Ryan

January 31, 2011

THE Coalition Government's suite of measures, announced today, is the most rigorous and far-reaching overhaul of the traffic camera system undertaken since the introduction of these road safety devices in 1990

Our Government is determined to change the culture that currently exists around speeding. Just as views have been transformed regarding the use of seat belts and drink-driving, the Coalition intends to dispel the belief that it is acceptable to speed. It is not.

Since being appointed Minister for Police, I have regularly engaged with police and the Department of Justice regarding traffic camera-related issues. Clearly police, in particular Assistant Commissioner Ken Lay, are passionately of the belief that
cameras save lives.

In addition, there is a vast body of evidence that supports this basic principle. The Transport Accident Commission, the Monash University Accident Research Centre, many other respected individuals and organisations, and the use of these devices in other jurisdictions, all confirm that
cameras save lives.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/culture-of-speeding-has-to-end/story-e6frfhq...

Victoria's speed cameras

Monday January 31, 2011

Speed cameras may be
painted in bright colours and warning signs
could alert motorists before they reach them under a review of Victoria's traffic camera network.

Police Minister Peter Ryan has written to Auditor General Des Pearson asking him for an urgent inquiry into the accuracy and effectiveness of speed cameras, the Herald Sun newspaper reports.

The Auditor-General will consider whether
warning signs should be placed before every mobile camera

http://www.skynews.com.au/local/article.aspx?id=570992&vId=

GO FIGURE ?

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2011 at 9:45am by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #921 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:42am

JUST GETTING IN BEFORE BUZZ TRIES TO MAKE A SCANDAL OUT OF THIS; 

Victorian police minister Peter Ryan caught speeding

JUST days after being sworn in as Victoria's police minister, Peter Ryan was clocked speeding in Melbourne.

Mr Ryan says he was caught speeding in a street near the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Parkville.

He says it is not something that happens often and he wants to be up front with people about the breach.
"I was picked up at, I think it said 63 (km/h) on the fine that I have received," he told reporters today.

"So I was going too fast, I've got to slow down.

"It's something that doesn't happen with regularity but I highlight it because I do want to be completely transparent about this."

Mr Ryan has asked Auditor-General Des Pearson to review the performance of fixed and mobile speed cameras.

The weekly locations of mobile cameras will soon be available on a website and a road safety camera commissioner will be appointed to monitor the operation of the speed and red-light camera network.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Mr Ryan said the measures he has announced were the largest overhaul of the speed camera system since it was introduced into Victoria in 1990.

He said he hoped he would receive a report from Mr Pearson within weeks.

"I think people will be much more confident about the system once all this is done," Mr Ryan said

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/victorian-police-minister-peter-ryan-caught-speeding/story-e6frfku9-1225997369396#ixzz1CZZ6JSwg

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #922 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:46am

Police Minister Peter Ryan honours speed camera pledge
Editorial From: Herald Sun January 31, 2011 12:03AM

POLICE Minister Peter Ryan's promise to lift the secrecy surrounding Victoria's speed and red light camera system is welcome news for motorists.

Traffic cameras undoubtedly save lives and are a vital part of the state's road safety program.

But a spate of traffic camera problems in recent years, highlighted in the pages of the Herald Sun, led to a loss of public confidence in the system.

Many in the community consider them to be just as much revenue raisers as life savers.

Prominent members of the current Government, when in Opposition, regularly expressed the view that speed cameras were being used to boost government coffers.

New Police Minister Peter Ryan never expressed that view in Opposition, but he is astute enough to know that any traffic camera changes he introduces now he is in charge might be viewed by some cynics as being in the interests of keeping the revenue flow going.

Which is why, rather than just announcing policy changes, he has asked the Auditor-General to urgently review every aspect of the state's traffic camera system, and why he is creating a permanent and independent Office of the Road Safety Camera Commissioner.

Any changes Mr Ryan makes to the system will be done only after the Auditor-General reports to Parliament and the new commissioner will be there to independently monitor those changes and any future ones.

Mr Ryan insists recent briefings he has had from road safety experts, including Victoria Police, have convinced him speed cameras do save lives.

His task now is to convince Victorians the Baillieu Government's priority is to ensure they are used for that purpose, rather than revenue raising.

The transparency and accountability Mr Ryan is introducing to the traffic camera system, revealed in the Herald Sun today, will help in that task.One measure of openness Mr Ryan is introducing today is to honour an election campaign pledge to allow the Herald Sun to reveal the location of previously secret mobile speed camera sites.

This welcome transparency about the siting of speed cameras will help ensure they are not placed in inappropriate areas.

And if any motorist thinks any of the sites is inappropriate, they can take their concerns to the independent traffic camera commissioner

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #923 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:56am

JUST days after being sworn in as Victoria's police minister, Peter Ryan was clocked speeding in Melbourne.
Mr Ryan says he was caught speeding in a street near the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Parkville.

"I was picked up at, I think it said 63 (km/h) on the fine that I have received," he told reporters today.

So I was going too fast, I've got to slow down"

Mr Ryan has asked Auditor-General Des Pearson to review the performance of fixed and mobile speed cameras.

The weekly locations of mobile cameras will soon be available on a website

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/victorian-police-minister-pet...

Just not soon ENOUGH, it seems
Mr Ryan could have chosen an alternative route

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #924 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:02pm

You really can't help yourself can you buzz.  The bloke was speeding and admitted it,  He probably would have done that on YOUR ALTERNATIVE ROUTE too you twit.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #925 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:12pm

Can we all just take a moment on this thread and recognize I was 5 feet from the most powerful man in the world on friday????

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #926 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:28pm

Quote:
The bloke was speeding and admitted it,  He probably would have done that on YOUR ALTERNATIVE ROUTE

Indeed
But had he checked the location of speed cameras that morning, he'd have gone at the SAME speed in an area he knew he would not be caught

This is the reason cameras are concealed
To stop speeding EVERYWHERE
Not just at camera sites

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #927 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:31pm

There are plenty of ways to beat speed cameras.

Holding two licences, declaring someone else (overseas) to be driving etc.

Easy.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #928 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:33pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:12pm:
Can we all just take a moment on this thread and recognize I was 5 feet from the most powerful man in the world on friday????

Ronald Reagan ...

or Margaret Thatcher ?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #929 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:36pm

Here's one thing though Buzz - YOU (amongst others) told me endlessly how unpopular GWB was.

I sat amongst a crowd of about 600 who cheered the house down when he came out on friday.
And only about 5 people in that room knew he was coming out so it wasn't as if it was a crowd set up.

So tell me, what happened to this unpopularity?

Was it (heaven forbid) we compare him to the current clown in the white house and realize he actually wasn't bad??

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 134
Send Topic Print