Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Re: Baillieu: "We Can Do Better" (or maybe n
Reply #960 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 4:50pm

Quote:
Specific locations ?

Afraid not, lead-feet

The web-site (and the Melbourne Herald-Sun) will name a road in a suburb where a mobile speed camera is scheduled to be placed at some stage in the coming week

The SAME detail was PREVIOUSLY available for the coming month

The Victorian Police will STILL have the option of UN-SCHEDULED mobile speed camera operations

A responsable back-down by the Baillieu Government

Happy with THIS face saver ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #961 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 5:07pm

Are we better off with this option than the disgraced, inept last Government that ripped motorists off by over $500m per year (often deliberately in a sick revenue raising mode that went into GENERAL REVENUE) -

and the same Government that charged decent hardworking middle income families like mine over $80,000 in stamp duty on a house purchase??

Are we better off with them having been kicked out??

YOU BETCHA LIFE WE ARE!!

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #962 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 5:12pm

Quote:
Are we better off with this option than the disgraced, inept last Government that ripped motorists off by over $500m per year (often deliberately in a sick revenue raising mode that went into GENERAL REVENUE) -

Andrei, you DRONGO ...

NOTHING has changed

Aside from vague details being published WEEKLY instead of FORTNIGHTLY

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #963 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 5:15pm

Quote:
and the same Government that charged decent hardworking middle income families like mine over $80,000 in stamp duty on a house purchase??

And what new taxes will be introduced to cover the shortfall ?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #964 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 5:23pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 5:15pm:
Quote:

And what new taxes will be introduced to cover the shortfall ?

Hopefully cuts in Government waste which was so prominent in the last Government.
The Police Minister flying to Europe for a holiday and racking up thousands in taxi fares as one prime example....

However do you feel it is right to charge decent middle incomes close to $100k in stamp duty??????????

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #965 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 5:56am

Education facing big cuts

February 7, 2011

THE Victorian Education Department is facing budget cuts of almost $350 million over the next 4˝ years.

Opposition education spokesman Rob Hulls said department officials had told him at a briefing last week they had been ordered to find $338 million in savings, including $36 million by June 30.

''Here we go again - one of the Liberal government's first decisions is to hack into the education budget,''
Mr Hulls said. ''These are substantial cutbacks … they have decided to turn their back on the state school system.''

The Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals said the cuts were particularly galling given
the Coalition would increase funding to non-government schools by $240 million over the next four years
, starting from the beginning of the 2011 school year.

''I can't understand why more money is going to the private sector when we have so many government schools that need to be brought up to scratch,'' said president Frank Sal.

''Clearly from a government secondary perspective, I'd be very concerned if they are cutting any dollars from the government school sector.''

The Coalition spokesman said savings would be made by reducing expenditure on media, marketing, advertising, political opinion polling, external consultants and legal advisers, the size of ministerial offices and travel expenses.

''Savings … will be made across all departments without cuts to public servants,'' he said.

But the Victorian president of the Australian Education Union, Mary Bluett, said
any suggestion that funding cuts would not affect schools was nonsense.

''I can't see where the cuts can come from - Victoria already has the leanest education bureaucracy in the nation,'' she said. ''They want to cut $338 million from the education budget at a time when every other state and territory is increasing their funding for education.''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/education-facing-big-cuts-warns-opposition-201...

Sound familiar ?

OPPOSITION leader Ted Baillieu has backed the former Kennett government's controversial school closures, putting him at odds with his own education spokesman.

Shadow education spokesman Martin Dixon has said some of the schools that were shut down probably should have remained open.

"I think we got it wrong in some suburbs," he told The Age.

Three hundred schools were closed and 8000 teachers sacked by the Kennett government, which held power from 1992 until 1999.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/baillieu-backs-kennett-school-closures/20...

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:28pm by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #966 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:19am

THE traditional owners of Victoria's high country have threatened the Baillieu government with legal action, accusing it of "stepping over the mark" in the controversial return of cattle to the Alpine National Park.

Gippsland's Gunaikurnai people — whose 22,000-square-kilometre native title claim was confirmed by the Federal Court and the Labor government last October — say they were not consulted before the Coalition returned 400 cows to the national park in a fire management experiment.

Gunaikurnai elder Uncle Albert Mullett said that under the native title agreement, the government must consult with his people on activities that affect the environment and water across the land, which stretches from Warragul to the Snowy River.

Several of the government's cattle grazing trial sites fall within this area.

"The government has totally stepped over the line in putting the cattlemen back in the alpine country," Uncle Albert told The Sunday Age. "If they think 400 head of cattle are going to stop wildfires they are going to find they have barbecued beef on the high plains. It was proven in 2003 and 2006 that nothing could have stopped those [alpine] fires."

The Gunaikurnai's 13-year battle for native title finally ended last year with a determination by Federal Court judge Tony North.

The Victorian government also entered into an agreement under the new Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010, which formally recognises the Gunaikurnai as traditional owners of much of Gippsland.

Cattle were quietly returned to the park last month, five years after they were removed by the former Labor government, mostly because of their damaging impact on the sensitive alpine environment.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cattle-trampling-on-our-rights-aborigines-2011...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #967 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:31pm

Quote:

February 7, 2011

THE Victorian Education Department is facing budget cuts of almost $350 million over the next 4˝ years.

Opposition education spokesman Rob Hulls said department officials had told him at a briefing last week they had been ordered to find $338 million in savings, including $36 million by June 30.

''Here we go again - one of the Liberal government's first decisions is to hack into the education budget,''
Mr Hulls said. ''These are substantial cutbacks … they have decided to turn their back on the state school system.''

The Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals said the cuts were particularly galling given
the Coalition would increase funding to non-government schools by $240 million over the next four years

''I can't understand why more money is going to the private sector when we have so many government schools that need to be brought up to scratch,'' said president Frank Sal.

''Clearly from a government secondary perspective, I'd be very concerned if they are cutting any dollars from the government school sector.''

The Coalition spokesman said savings would be made by reducing expenditure on media, marketing, advertising, political opinion polling, external consultants and legal advisers, the size of ministerial offices and travel expenses.

''Savings … will be made across all departments without cuts to public servants,'' he said.

But the Victorian president of the Australian Education Union, Mary Bluett, said

''I can't see where the cuts can come from - Victoria already has the leanest education bureaucracy in the nation,'' she said. ''They want to cut $338 million from the education budget at a time when every other state and territory is increasing their funding for education.''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/education-facing-big-cuts-warns-opposition-201...

Sound familiar ?

OPPOSITION leader Ted Baillieu has backed the former Kennett government's controversial school closures, putting him at odds with his own education spokesman.

Shadow education spokesman Martin Dixon has said some of the schools that were shut down probably should have remained open.

Three hundred schools were closed and 8000 teachers sacked by the Kennett government, which held power from 1992 until 1999.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/baillieu-backs-kennett-school-closures/20...

JUST to rub it in
And say "I TOLD you so"

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #968 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:51pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:31pm:
Quote:

February 7, 2011

Sound familiar ?

JUST to rub it in
And say "I TOLD you so"

Nice dirty work quoting a 2006 article on the second part.

Also, nothing in the actual article that say cuts are coming, except from the opposition and Unions.  Forgive me if I dont take their words for it.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #969 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:53pm

Buzz in Victoria we have managed to remove an arrogant, inept, incompetent Government that was rorting motorists to the tune of $1,000 per second and ordinary struggling families by $70,000 in stamp duty.

ANYTHING from that last, inept Government is an IMPROVEMENT.

Thank God they are gone.

I realize you don't care either way given you don't contribute to Australia, but some of us other Aussies do.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #970 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:57pm

And something which my brother has personally benefited from, nothing from Buzz on this though.

LOW-income TAFE students in Yarra Ranges will pay up to 95 per cent less for their education after the State Government fast-tracked changes to the fee structure last week.

From February 1, TAFE students aged 15-24 with a health care card will pay just $100 in annual fees for diploma and advanced diploma courses, instead of up to $2000.

Evelyn state Liberal MP Christine Fyffe has welcomed the move and hopes it will allow more young people in Yarra Ranges to benefit from training.

“With rising costs of living, many TAFE students and their families in the Yarra Valley are struggling financially, so this major change is a real boon for students,” Mrs Fyffe said.

“With youth unemployment over 10 per cent in Evelyn, every effort by the government to make further education more accessible is a solid investment in our young people, and an investment in our future.”

Swinburne deputy vice-chancellor (TAFE) Linda Brown said the changes were “a fantastic initial step in widening access and participation”.

“It is a critical initiative at this time, when the country is facing skills shortages, especially in the areas of trades and technologies.”

The government will review the plan after a year as part of a wider review of the vocational education and training sector fee structure, according to Higher Education and Skills Minister Peter Hall.

Concession fee places will be available to students at TAFE institutes, and TAFE enrolment officers will identify eligible students.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #971 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:59pm

Verge wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:51pm:
Quote:

February 7, 2011

Sound familiar ?

JUST to rub it in
And say "I TOLD you so"

Also, nothing in the actual article that say cuts are coming, except from the opposition and Unions.  Forgive me if I dont take their words for it.

Check the DATE

February 7, 2011

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #972 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:01pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:59pm:
Verge wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:51pm:
Quote:

February 7, 2011

Sound familiar ?

JUST to rub it in
And say "I TOLD you so"

Also, nothing in the actual article that say cuts are coming, except from the opposition and Unions.  Forgive me if I dont take their words for it.

Check the DATE

February 7, 2011

You check the date you clown - http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/baillieu-backs-kennett-school-closures/2006/09/05/1157222131869.html

September 6, 2006

Thats the second part of your post is it not.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #973 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:02pm

So Buzz, where is your comment about slashing the cost of tafe fees for thousands of students?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #974 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:05pm

Quote:

nothing in the actual article that say cuts are coming

They're INEVITABLE

You can't go easy on speeding drivers
Halve stamp duty on real estate
Place Victoria Police in charge of the railways ....

... without cuts SOMEWHERE

It SOUNDS like Ted has a mentor in Jeff

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 134
Send Topic Print