Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Aussie women agree wth Sheikh Taj (Read 4951 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Aussie women agree wth Sheikh Taj
Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:38am

Actually, he didn't even goto this extent in what he said. Funny how when a Muslim makes statements like this, it causes a furore for years to come, yet when these women say this, it's barely even noticed...

'Floozies' to blame in AFL sexual assaults, say women

Jon Pierik
September 19, 2010

A NEW study into women's attitudes towards sexual misconduct in the AFL has found women don't always blame footballers for creating trouble.

More than 80 women, all AFL supporters or club members, were interviewed for the study, which found that women's reactions to allegations of sexual assault ranged from disgust, to blaming the victim, to suggestions that sexually aggressive women target footballers.

The study was sparked by allegations of sexual assault against AFL players in 2004.
Advertisement: Story continues below

In the past year the AFL has dealt with allegations of rape against former St Kilda player Andrew Lovett and of sexual assault against Brisbane's Brendan Fevola, as well as investigated the relationship two Saints players had with a Melbourne schoolgirl who became pregnant.

The study's co-author, Deakin University's Dr Peter Mewett, said three general responses dominated when discussing sexual misconduct.

''One response, as you might expect, is utter disgust. That is usually accompanied by: 'It could never happen at my club,' '' he said.

The second response was: ''If only the victims were a bit more sensible and realised what could go on, they wouldn't find themselves in those sorts of situations,'' Dr Mewett said.

The third response was: ''If you get - and some of them used this terminology - a young floozie flashing her boobs at these guys, then what do you expect them to do? Again, it's victim-blaming kind of stuff.''

That position was highlighted in a response from one woman who said: ''I know this sounds terrible, the girls are the ones that put themselves in a position. They are the ones that are flirting all over them and then the guys go 'Ah, OK' and at the end of the night just go home with them because they are like 'Ah' whatever, she's just there.''

Dr Mewett said predatory women, or ''groupies'', who set out to ''get another notch on the belt'' could find themselves in danger when a player wanted more than they had expected.

Another woman recounted a scene in a nightclub. ''Girls ran at them [players] - literally - like they've sat down at their seats and these girls just appeared out of nowhere and started dancing basically right on their laps … like full-on in there not giving them any space. When you see that happening, you see what they [players] have to deal with.''

One woman said: ''One of my sister's friends, she lived with this girl who would only sleep with AFL footballers and she has had some of the largest names - which I won't mention, obviously - who were married.''

However, other women said footballers were the aggressors, acting ''cocky'' to women and thinking ''they were god's gift'' in expecting casual sex. If that did not eventuate, verbal or physical abuse could occur.

''I've got hit on by nearly every single one of them and I tell you what, they don't like no for an answer at all,'' said one woman.

The state government and the AFL will produce a DVD for footballers about issues relating to violence against women.

Source: WA Today

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Re: Aussie women agree wth Sheikh Taj
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 9:46am

abu_rashid wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:38am:
Actually, he didn't even goto this extent in what he said. Funny how when a Muslim makes statements like this, it causes a furore for years to come, yet when these women say this, it's barely even noticed...

'Floozies' to blame in AFL sexual assaults, say women

Jon Pierik
September 19, 2010

A NEW study into women's attitudes towards sexual misconduct in the AFL has found women don't always blame footballers for creating trouble.

It wasn't noticed Abu because the story doesn't really say very much.
In fact, a new study 'finding women don't always blame the footballer' says nothing at all.
It's a dud rubber Abu.
But the Sheik's comments at the time were downright insulting.
That's the difference. Smiley

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

Cockney Doll

Australian Politics

Queens Park.Sydney
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 4:19pm

Maybe Abu wants women to all wear burkas ?

Is a pre-requiste in Islam,as the men are unable to control themselves.

With this sportsman thing that girls have, neither side are the innocent party

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 8:10pm

I agree with Abu. On the morality scale, this sheik is definitely up there with the groupie scrubbers, just like all good Islamic clerics.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 8:46pm

It appears you didn't read it fd (as usual), but just added your 1 cent worth (that simply can't be counted as 2 cents) anyway.

The Sheikh's sentiments have been echoed by average women who were surveyed, not by the footy groupies.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 9:37pm

Quote:
More than 80 women, all AFL supporters or club members, were interviewed

Good to know you are so in touch with what women want Abu....

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 10:06pm

Quote:
More than 80 women, all AFL supporters or club members, were interviewed

By posting that, are you attempting to assert that all female supporters/members are "groupie scrubbers"?

Quote:
Good to know you are so in touch with what women want Abu...

I think I'd be much more in touch than you fd. Regardless that's got nothing to do with this thread. It's about women holding pretty much the same view that everyone went troppo over when Sheikh Taj expressed it... My guess is a lot of Aussies would probably agree with it, but won't admit it.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2010 at 2:30pm

Quote:
I think I'd be much more in touch than you fd. Regardless that's got nothing to do with this thread.

I suspected you didn't actually care what women want.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 6:53am

Abu, if you had any concern at all for the interests of women, you would have realised that this was not about whether they agreed with the Sheik. There is a big difference between what he said and what these women said. You seem to share his blindness to that difference. It is the inability or simple unwillingness of so many Muslims to make that distinction that triggered the public outcry.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 7:20am

Nope, they said much the same thing. The woman is sometimes responsible for provoking and encouraging these incidents due to their shameless and debaucherous behaviour.

I don't think it's because he's a Muslim though that he's been singled out (although it's probably made the witchhunt more severe), it's because he's a he. It's fine for a woman to say this kind of stuff, but not a male. Kinda like blacks being able to use the word black person I guess.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 6:35pm

OK Abu, please point out where these women equated a woman walking down the street without her tent on with predatory sexual behaviour?

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2010 at 6:37pm

Just as soon as you point out where Sheikh Taj did.

Both of them have suggested that women acting provocatively, alluring and seductively can increase the likelihood of them being subject to sexual assaults... are either of them really all that wrong? All PC stuff aside?

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:04pm

Quote:
When you see that happening, you see what they [players] have to deal with.''

Poor them.

Quote:
women acting provocatively, alluring and seductively can increase the likelihood of them being subject to sexual assaults... are either of them really all that wrong? All PC stuff aside?

Rape has very little to do with women acting provocatively, but rather  about power and forced submission. I've read about pedophiles who see children as provocative.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 2:29pm

Annie,

Welcome back btw.

I am not saying that dressing seductively warrants rape (of course not!!!), but it sure doesn't do much to avoid it. The simple fact is that a woman dressing in a short skirt and crop top with cleavage busting out all over your face is much more likely to arouse the instincts in men than one who wears a long sleeve jumper and loose pants.

It's just common sense.

Just like leaving a diamond ring laying on the footpath is not a great way to avoid it being stolen. Doesn't justify the thief stealing it, but it isn't the best way to protect your diamond ring, is it? I still think the thief should be punished, just as the rapist should be, seductive dressing/behaviour should in no way diminish their responsiblity for their crime (this is the trumped up charge that was levelled at Sheikh Taj).

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Cockney Doll

Australian Politics

Queens Park.Sydney
Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2010 at 2:37pm

What rubbish. !!

It's called controlling yourself and if you can't - then do something about it

Saying a woman asks for it. makes them not better than an animal who knows no better.

Those days are gone in this society, so if you don't like it go elswhere and put chastity belts on you MEN

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print