Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone Like To Watch The Australian Open Tennis (Read 4717 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Anyone Like To Watch The Australian Open Tennis
Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:09pm

THE Australian Workers Union has slammed Tennis Australia for refusing to pay ball kids at this month's Australian Open.   Sad

AWU Victorian secretary Cesar Melhem said it was shameful that players would be paid millions of dollars and ball kids wouldn't receive any compensation for their work.   Sad

"They clothe them, they feed them, but what they do is a meaningful job," he said. "It's a form of exploitation, and it's taking advantage of them."

Tennis Australia spokeswoman Brooke Boger declined to explain why ball kids were no longer paid. Instead, a factsheet emailed to BNW stated that ball kids were considered volunteers and instead of being paid, they would receive a gift pack after the tournament. They also receive a uniform and food voucher on work days.

Until 2009, ball kids were paid $42 per match. The juniors, aged between 12 and 15, work in one-hour rotations on court, collecting balls, towels and drinks for players. They generally work eight-hour shifts, but working stints can be longer.

This month's Open will include 367 ball kids, including 20 from overseas.

According to the program, the youngsters take part in a vigorous selection process, with successful candidates performing a "demanding schedule of training and preparation" starting in August, culminating in the two-week January tournament.

The AWU has spoken to Tennis Australia about the situation and plans to make further efforts to have the ball kids' pay reinstated.

"What they're doing is no different to people who are umpiring the game. It's about setting the right example: that when you go to work, you get paid," Mr Melhem said.

The winners of this year's men's and women's final will each get $2.2 million.   Shocked

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Anyone Like To Watch The Australian Open Tennis
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:20pm

No sorry its not a free ticket offer.  Personally I couldn't care less about it.  Ha, Ha, Ha.   Smiley

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:33pm

This situation sux - it is not only stingy but exploitative and it should have been stomped-on when it started last year!

The fact that Tennis Australia previously paid these kids for their services has set a precedent that they were employing them to do a job.

The fixed match fee payment was bizarre - but it would have gone some way towards covering the parents' costs of getting their kids to the tournament venue (noting that the time and costs associated with the extensive pre-tournament training was donated by the children and their families gratis).

It would seem that their parents were expected to pay for their own match tickets (and parking) if they wished to hang around while their kids are working!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 6:59pm

Fancy risking getting skin cancer and then not being paid for it Sad

What have all the resident libbos got to say about this exploitation at its worst ?? Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:00pm

It must be about the $42 a day, and not being up and close with the worlds gratest players with the best seat in the house.

Hell, I know parents that would pay to have their kids do it.

All the parents getting into this know exactly what the conditions are.  I love how the union thinks this is about them.

Gee, I wish I was 15 again, I would love to do it.  I think you will find all these kids are aspiring tennis players, and the experience of meeting the worlds best is something money cant buy.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:01pm

Verge wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:00pm:
It must be about the $42 a day, and not being up and close with the worlds gratest players with the best seat in the house.

All the parents getting into this know exactly what the conditions are.  I love how the union thinks this is about them.

Gee, I wish I was 15 again, I would love to do it.  I think you will find all these kids are aspiring tennis players, and the experience of meeting the worlds best is something money cant buy.

and while your at it why not have aspiring mine workers and send  kids down mine shafts for no pay Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 6:38am

while your at it why not have aspiring mine workers and send  kids down mine shafts for no pay 

--------------

dear oh dear..what an attitude..

let it be up to the kids.. a gift pack or cash.. simple really.

the kids I would think are in heaven they would I am sure have to apply to become ball kids... not all those who play tennis can ever aspire to be on centre court....do water boys at the foot get paid??..

I am not in favour of kids being PAID for everything they do...but 8 hours is a long time so I am not sure about this one.. what about line keepers are they paid.. for just standing?.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:54am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:01pm:
Verge wrote on Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:00pm:

All the parents getting into this know exactly what the conditions are.  I love how the union thinks this is about them.

Gee, I wish I was 15 again, I would love to do it.  I think you will find all these kids are aspiring tennis players, and the experience of meeting the worlds best is something money cant buy.

and while your at it why not have aspiring mine workers and send  kids down mine shafts for no pay Sad

You really are a fool.  This is the Australian Open, one of only how many majors.  The kids dont do it for the money, they do it to rub shoulders with the worlds greatest in tennis.  Many get to walk  the corridors and the tennis stars are always happy to sign autographs for them.  Many also receive gifts from players as well.
I remember one such semi final a few years ago and a poor unsuspecting ball boy wore a wayward shot.  The player was so concerned he called for an "injury timeout", has his physican look at the kid (bump on the head, nothing serious), then at the end of rhe match which he won he gave the kid his racquet which he signed, and gave him a signed shirt, hat, and got him some shoes as well which he signed.  This kid has a heap of memoribilla from a semi final win.

Not everything is about money, and no one can accuse these players of poor form.

The organisers know that being a ball boy isnt about being in it for the money, its about being a part of something which is a once in a lifetime event.

Did you ever stop and think this is how sports the world over operate.  The people waving the flags at different checkpoints at all the V8supercar events in Oz, nearly all at volunteers.  The crash crews, even the gate people, most are volunteers.  I personally would love to be a marshall at a race track, best seat in the house, free food drink and tickets and I was going anyway.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:58am

Tournament organisers are nothing more than exploitive cheap skates who use the generosity of volunteers in favour of paying $millions as first prize to the finalists.

In the case of the Australian Tennis, these cretins are exploiting the stupidity of the parents of these poor kids in the hope their kids will receive a worthless autograph from a tennis player.  These kids do a fantastic job in extremely harsh environments, and I see no reason why they shouldn’t be financially rewarded for their efforts.

Anything besides financial compensation should be considered an insult considering the $million the players get for competing.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 9:23am

culldav wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:58am:
Tournament organisers are nothing more than exploitive cheap skates who use the generosity of volunteers in favour of paying $millions as first prize to the finalists.

In the case of the Australian Tennis, these cretins are exploiting the stupidity of the parents of these poor kids in the hope their kids will receive a worthless autograph from a tennis player.  These kids do a fantastic job in extremely harsh environments, and I see no reason why they shouldn’t be financially rewarded for their efforts.

Anything besides financial compensation should be considered an insult considering the $million the players get for competing.

If the experience and autographs are worth nothing, then Im sure there wouldnt be anyone lining up to do it.

Heck, I wish they wouldnt restrict it to a max age of 15.  I would love to go down and do it for nothing.  Beats paying $100 bucks plus for a ticket when I could be down on the court.

You call it exploitive, I call it the chance of a lifetime.  If our daughter ever got the chance in 12 years time, I will be grabbing it, and it wouldnt be for $42 a match.

IP Logged

culldav
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:21am

Ah, good old sport, and keeping the commoners happy dates back to the gladiatorial events of Rome. Event organisers pray on exploiting the common man and woman weakness on being involved in something from a distance that they can cheer.  Not to mention relying on the stupidity of some that pay $100’s on tickets.

Some might call watching 2 over-rated & over-paid people with sticks hitting a ball across a net a chance in a lifetime experience, and encourage their children to participate in such endeavours for free, but I think there is more worthwhile pursuits that warrant better experiences.

I certainly wouldn’t be encouraging my children to consider a sportsperson as a role model or someone to admire and look up too.

That’s of course if you didn’t want them to be psychos, drug addicts, or under the surgeons knife by the time they are 30.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 1:19pm

culldav wrote on Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:21am:
Ah, good old sport, and keeping the commoners happy dates back to the gladiatorial events of Rome. Event organisers pray on exploiting the common man and woman weakness on being involved in something from a distance that they can cheer.  Not to mention relying on the stupidity of some that pay $100’s on tickets.

Some might call watching 2 over-rated & over-paid people with sticks hitting a ball across a net a chance in a lifetime experience, and encourage their children to participate in such endeavours for free, but I think there is more worthwhile pursuits that warrant better experiences.

I certainly wouldn’t be encouraging my children to consider a sportsperson as a role model or someone to admire and look up too.

That’s of course if you didn’t want them to be psychos, drug addicts, or under the surgeons knife by the time they are 30.

I would be encouraging my kids to be like Roger Federer any day.  Family man, has his own charity which he set up to help the less ofrtunate, never loses his cool and is always pleasant in manner.

But its not about looking up to the stars, its about being able to participate in one of only 4 major tournaments and having the best seat in the house.

We get it, you dont like sports, so dont participate or partake in any way.  But dont expect the rest of us to be burdened with things that obviously have no interest to you.

I have a truckload of friends who are going to the tennis this year, and I envy them since I cant go.  We pay the money because it is a form of entertainment which we enjoy.  If you dont see value, then thats your opinion, and if you think the kids should be paid then that too is your opinion, however those of us that actually have an interest in it and are the ones paying, and to the parents who let their kids do it for the expereince and not the money, its really only their opinion that counts now isnt it.

Funny, because through all of this I havent heard of a kid saying "wheres the cash".  Didnt any one of you ALP and Greens supporters actually realise you cant pay the kids, since Gillards lovely workchoices law.
You cant employ someone below 15 remember.  Any money, means employment, which means they cant do it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print