Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ferguson serious about nuclear (Read 5487 times)
Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Re: Ferguson serious about nuclear
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:37pm

mavisdavis wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:34pm:
Please delete wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:15pm:
mavisdavis wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:05pm:
Energy generation is an issue affecting all Australians. Why not discuss all potential systems?  Not to do so is reminiscent of the method of presentation of ACC, anyone who isn`t a faithful believer is howled down like a medieval witch.  

Al Gore isn`t the Messiah.

I simply don't understand - who is stopping anyone from discussing, arguing, or even proposing to build, any sort of power station?

The best thing that could happen re Nuclear is that some proponent put forward a concrete proposal, for Australia to discuss.

Are you saying that there is no "political" opposition to the consideration of nuclear power for electricity generation in Australia? If so, you are completely wrong, there is an ostrich like attitude shared by all of the Greens, and most of the ALP, that prevents them even considering this option.

I`m not a proponent of Nuclear power, but I would like to see the issue sensibly discussed.  Sorry, but I just can`t mindlessly accept Peter Garrett, or Bob Brown`s word as holy scripture, I need to see the facts.

So what is stopping the discussion by everyone else?

Surely you have to acknowledge Ziggy's advocacy - he said it was all good, but nothing happened.

So what is stopping discussion?

As I said, it's not discussion that's missing, it's concrete proposals.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:38pm

There is nothing to discuss.

It should be decided to go ahead and pushed through.

End.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:38pm

Truly, it isn't the job of Brown or Garrett to give the nod to discussion.

It's up to the proponents.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:39pm

Sometimes I really wonder why it seems to be only me that has Australia's future interests at heart.

Nuclear will move Australia into the future for goodness sake.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:41pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 10:04am:
longweekend58 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 9:09am:
Good to see Ferguson thinking outside his labor 'box'.

Except he talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

Some people want the debate - so bring it on, start, raise the issues, make some proposals, answer some questions.

Stop talking as if there was someone or something stopping a putative debate, because there isn't.

pu·ta·tive/ˈpyo͞otətiv/
Adjective: Generally considered or reputed to be: "the putative father of a boy of two".  More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

I don`t understand what this has to do with debates?

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:49pm

Doesn't mean what I thought it meant ... oh well.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:51pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:49pm:
Doesn't mean what I thought it meant ... oh well.

One thing I give credit to you is that you don't cover up an error.
Several times now you have admitted errors.

We had a conference last week and part of it was regarding 'accepting responsibility' etc.

Well done.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:30pm

I recall my ex using the word "enervate" in the same context as "energize", when it means the exact opposite.

Her uni professor corrected her ....

Language is a slippery thing, sometimes.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:36pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 10:04am:
longweekend58 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 9:09am:
Good to see Ferguson thinking outside his labor 'box'.

Except he talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

Some people want the debate - so bring it on, start, raise the issues, make some proposals, answer some questions.

Stop talking as if there was someone or something stopping a putative debate, because there isn't.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!  What I want is a fair open and balanced debate - no ideological scare-mongering. I want to know the facts and then see a decision made on them.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #24 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:41pm

The facts have already been built around the world longie, and functioned smoothly for years in the US, France, Germany etc.
I don't know how many nuclear power stations the Chinese are building each year but I seem to remember it's a lot.
The same people who are against nuclear would have been afraid to invent the wheel in case the gods didn't like it.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:42pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 1:33pm:
Nuclear to me has always been the prime highlight of how far behind the rest of the world Australia can be at times.

We have had nuclear since I was a kid in England.

We had Oldbury, Hinckley Point A, B and now C all within distance of my hometown - completely safe, completely accident free and producing emissions-free power for the country.

But you ask Aussies, who admittedly suffer from cabin fever of being the other side of the world to everyone else, and they conjure up thoughts of Mad Max and Chernobyl.

Nuclear is safe, low emissions and sensible.

Get involved.

Your attitude is typically anti-australian and it gets old! The facts (remember those??) is that australias coal and gas reserves are the biggest in the world and by far the cheapest. Because of that the price of our fossil fuelled electricity has always made nuclear an uneconomic alternative. It has nothing to do with 'being behind the rest of the world'. there simply was no need and no economic value to it. The economic argument you hold so dear would have come to the same unequivocal conclusion. But now, with cost and demand pressures and environmental/social pressures coming to bear, the nuclear question is being raised again. It's a new world with new parameters in play. the nuclear question needs to be looked at again. If a decision were made to embrace nuclear power it would not be a case of 'cathing up', but rather embracing a suitable technology for a changing world.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #26 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:42pm

Energy generation is an issue affecting all Australians. Why not discuss all potential systems?  Not to do so is reminiscent of the method of presentation of ACC, anyone who isn`t a faithful believer is howled down like a medieval witch.  

I simply don't understand - who is stopping anyone from discussing, arguing, or even proposing to build, any sort of power station?

The best thing that could happen re Nuclear is that some proponent put forward a concrete proposal, for Australia to discuss.

Ernie, didn't we have this discussion before???

The Australian Federal Government/s has a "NO Nuclear Policy"...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:46pm

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:41pm:
The facts have already been built around the world longie, and functioned smoothly for years in the US, France, Germany etc.
I don't know how many nuclear power stations the Chinese are building each year but I seem to remember it's a lot.
The same people who are against nuclear would have been afraid to invent the wheel in case the gods didn't like it.

The facts I refer to are cost, location, environmental considerations and a host of others. I just want to see how it all looks without the bias and ideology colouring everything.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:50pm

longweekend58 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:42pm:
Your attitude is typically anti-australian

My argument has nothing to do with being anti-anyone.

It is a matter of fact that Australia lags behind the world on this subject.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:59pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2011 at 2:42pm:

Ernie, didn't we have this discussion before???

The Australian Federal Government/s has a "NO Nuclear Policy"...

So? This stops what? How is that policy to be overturned if the only thing that happens is a alot of people bleat about the lack of debate?

Create a television series, get ACA or 60 minutes to do an in depth analysis. Write to your local member, politicize!

But STOP saying there needs to be a debate.

Just BTW, Howard could have reversed the nuclear policy, and didn't do so.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print