Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ferguson serious about nuclear (Read 5501 times)
Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Re: Ferguson serious about nuclear
Reply #60 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Such a straw man - "oohh the big bad boogey man won't let us debate".

We've tried here to argue various technicalities, like location, type of reactor, waste, water, cost - and got absolutley nowhere because there's nothing to discuss, no proposal.

It's all just steam.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 5:40pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:22pm:
"So why is it surprising that power station (using nuclear power), can't get clearance without the Government signing off on it???"

First step - ask. You can't get approval to build anything unless you apply. That would put the heat on the government.

There is no serious proponent. Not one.

And if they're waiting for a Labor government to invite them to apply, it'll be a long wait.

You can't change government policy unless you get serious.

And people calling for a debate are just flapping their gums.

Sometimes I think you 'just dont get it'. on almost any subject. a nuclear power plant in australia ias a massively controversial and political issue. you seem to have close to zero understanding on that. the australian governments policy is NO nuclear power plants. that is hardly a promising start. anyone with half a brain knows that the ALP ill NEVER approve such a facility. business also knows that unless they can keep the alp out of office for the 15 years needed to construct one they couldbe cancelled part-way thru. Just like your approach to life-and-death scanario speeding, you see everything - EVERYTHING - in black and white with no shades of gray or any real understanding of the complex issues involved. The community would need to massively endore a nuke plant here for there to be any chance of pushing the ALP to allow it. and by massive I mean 80%. there isnt that support and probably never will be.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #62 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 12:16am

longweekend58 wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 5:40pm:
Please delete wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:22pm:
"So why is it surprising that power station (using nuclear power), can't get clearance without the Government signing off on it???"

First step - ask. You can't get approval to build anything unless you apply. That would put the heat on the government.

There is no serious proponent. Not one.

And if they're waiting for a Labor government to invite them to apply, it'll be a long wait.

You can't change government policy unless you get serious.

And people calling for a debate are just flapping their gums.

Sometimes I think you 'just dont get it'. on almost any subject. a nuclear power plant in australia ias a massively controversial and political issue. you seem to have close to zero understanding on that. the australian governments policy is NO nuclear power plants. that is hardly a promising start. anyone with half a brain knows that the ALP ill NEVER approve such a facility. business also knows that unless they can keep the alp out of office for the 15 years needed to construct one they couldbe cancelled part-way thru. Just like your approach to life-and-death scanario speeding, you see everything - EVERYTHING - in black and white with no shades of gray or any real understanding of the complex issues involved. The community would need to massively endore a nuke plant here for there to be any chance of pushing the ALP to allow it. and by massive I mean 80%. there isnt that support and probably never will be.

So what is the impediment to a debate? Why don't those in favour start the ball rolling?

"unless they can keep the alp out of office for the 15 years needed to construct one they couldbe cancelled part-way thru. "

Garbage. These would be built by state governments, under their own licences. And no-one in their right mind would suggest that an incoming government would renege on such a substantial contract. It would set Australia back for decades - corporations would run a mile.

And good to see you admit the 15 year build cycle. Now to get you to be realistic about the costs.

"Just like your approach to life-and-death scanario speeding" - you mean your "friend of a friend twice removed" story about someone who stubbed their toe being raced to hospital by a gallant knight in an FPV?? More make believe.

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 12:17am

Please delete wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:48pm:
Such a straw man - "oohh the big bad boogey man won't let us debate".

We've tried here to argue various technicalities, like location, type of reactor, waste, water, cost - and got absolutley nowhere because there's nothing to discuss, no proposal.

It's all just steam.

Ernie, your thinking is completely unrealistic, your mind is closed.  To expect companies to spend millions of dollars on planning and estimates without an in principal approval is not an intelligent representation of how the real world works.  Anna Bligh wasted 80% of one billion dollars on the Traverston Crossing Dam in this way.

How old are you Ernie? You seem very young, especially with little remarks about boogeyman etc.  Ernie, energy generation is one of the great challenges of our time, we need to keep an open mind, and not be led around like sheep by politicians, or others, with their own agendas.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #64 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:28am

mavis

Again I say - what are we going to debate? You want a hollow debate about in principle agreement allowing the construction of multiple reactors of unknown type, size etc, in unspecified locations ....

My mind IS closed - but I'm just one person. Irrelevant in the scheme of things.

I'm just expressing my puzzlement about this "debate" that is somehow being refused or denied or subverted.

HAVE THE DEBATE - what's stopping anyone?

Howard started it, and it fizzled for lack of interest. It all smacks of a drunk staggering down an empty street demanding that someone fight him.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:37am by Please delete »  

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #65 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:08am

Please delete wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:28am:
mavis

Again I say - what are we going to debate? You want a hollow debate about in principle agreement allowing the construction of multiple reactors of unknown type, size etc, in unspecified locations ....

My mind IS closed - but I'm just one person. Irrelevant in the scheme of things.

I'm just expressing my puzzlement about this "debate" that is somehow being refused or denied or subverted.

Howard started it, and it fizzled for lack of interest. It all smacks of a drunk staggering down an empty street demanding that someone fight him.

THIS is what's stopping it...
"A new report showing nuclear power could become financially viable in Australia within 20 years has reignited debate in the ALP over the party's nuclear ban.

But Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Treasurer Wayne Swan have been quick to play down the chances of Labor changing its policy at next year's national conference.

The Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering report, which canvasses low-carbon energy options, says nuclear power could be a viable option after the government reaches an agreement on a carbon price mechanism....

Ms Gillard said she remained opposed to nuclear power, adding anyone who would argue to scrap Labor's longstanding policy "is setting themselves up for a pretty tough argument".

"In this country ... nuclear power doesn't stack up as an economically efficient source of power for our nation," she said"

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-national/nuclear-debate-heats-up-in-alp-...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #66 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:13am

"In this country ... nuclear power doesn't stack up as an economically efficient source of power for our nation," she said"

That's that then, it must be true because gillard said so and brown the clown would be in full support, so let's keep firing up the coal burners. Grin

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:22am

mavis

This is the standard warped "logic" that opposed the notion of a spherical Earth.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #68 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:54am

mavisdavis wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:22am:
mavis

This is the standard warped "logic" that opposed the notion of a spherical Earth.

Explain where my logic is warped. Or is that just a lazy insult?

Gillard does not control debate in Australia.

In relation to nuclear power, the only reason for the "industry" to look to the government is for the mssive subsidies it will need, and to take away the difficult task of convincing the public.

Look at how desal plants were built - at public cost, extremely advantageous PPP's that hevily favoured the builder, riding rough shod over the electorate.

That's the OPPOSITE of debate, and that's what seems to be happening here.

Calls for debate are actually demands that the government make the announcement, WITHOUT debate.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #69 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:54am:
mavis

In relation to nuclear power, the only reason for the "industry" to look to the government is for the mssive subsidies it will need, and to take away the difficult task of convincing the public.

Look at how desal plants were built - at public cost, extremely advantageous PPP's that hevily favoured the builder, riding rough shod over the electorate.

Calls for debate are actually demands that the government make the announcement, WITHOUT debate.

No Ernie, Gillard doesn't control 'debate' in Australia.......But unless the Gillard Government gives approval, no power station (be it fossil fuel, alternative OR nuclear) can be built..

WE can sit here on these boards (or in any other public forum that you choose) and debate the pros and cons of nuclear power til we're blue in the face...and it won't make any difference..

Even if 98% of Australia said we won't nuclear power, the final decision is STILL with the Government.....Unless the debate happens in Parliment (or at the Party Conference or whatever) and the policy is changed as a result.....no one can get permission to build a nuclear power station, even if it's entirely privately funded...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #70 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 1:54pm

"But unless the Gillard Government gives approval, no power station (be it fossil fuel, alternative OR nuclear) can be built.."

See, that's where your analysis and mine differ.

The fed govt control what its entities can do. That's all.

Power generation is primarily a state concern, and states are still free to set their own policy (the way I read it).

"WE can sit here on these boards (or in any other public forum that you choose) and debate the pros and cons of nuclear power til we're blue in the face...and it won't make any difference.."

Agreed. But my puzzlement about these thwarted "debates" remains.

"the final decision is STILL with the Government.....Unless the debate happens in Parliment (or at the Party Conference or whatever) and the policy is changed as a result.....no one can get permission to build a nuclear power station"

I don't agree, based on your posts about the framework in Australia. Correct me if I'm wrong.

States control power generation. ANSTO is empowered to issue licences.

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:18pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:54am:
mavis

Ernie : "Explain where my logic is warped. Or is that just a lazy insult?"

To begin with, you keep insisting that someone goes to great expense and effort to formulate a definite proposition before you are even willing to discuss the issue.  This attitude is unthinking and shallow, this attitude deserves to be amongst the agendas of the "Flat Earth Society".  

With an attitude such as this, nothing would ever be done, this is the equivalent of a bureaucrat saying, don`t ask if it`s legal, go and spend 50 - 100 million on a proposition and I might look at it.  Do you see now how silly this approach is?  Please don`t reply with a meaningless little time wasting twisted silliness.

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Reply #72 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:48pm

"Ernie : "Explain where my logic is warped. Or is that just a lazy insult?"

To begin with, you keep insisting that someone goes to great expense and effort to formulate a definite proposition before you are even willing to discuss the issue.  This attitude is unthinking and shallow, this attitude deserves to be amongst the agendas of the "Flat Earth Society".  

With an attitude such as this, nothing would ever be done, this is the equivalent of a bureaucrat saying, don`t ask if it`s legal, go and spend 50 - 100 million on a proposition and I might look at it.  Do you see now how silly this approach is?  Please don`t reply with a meaningless little time wasting twisted silliness. "

Situation: State govt calls tenders for the construction of a new power station.

EVERY TENDERER invests large amounts developing their business case.

One or more of them is nuclear - what's the problem?

I have repeatedly SUGGESTED that the best way to clear the air and discuss the issues, in a real world context, is for someone to mount a serious proposal. Doesn't have to be a $50 business case, but tht would be best.

That way, we have something to discuss.

Why is that illogical? I remind you again about the ridiculous way govts developed the desal plants.

Your scenario gives some sort of blanket approval without any context - an unrealistic way to proceed. My first question would be "what type of reactor", my second question would be "where". Without answers to those questions, how could anyone consider the problem?

Back to my mantra - have your debate. Nothing is stopping like minded people from arguing their case.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:05pm

Situation: State govt calls tenders for the construction of a new power station.

ernie read gizmo... the States or Business men cannot make announcements on Nuclear power... its for the Fed govt only.

it would be the B.all and end.all for the Feds..

nuclear power is not something you would sell on EBay.

it isnt something someone will play with in their shed.

it is and so it should be very much controlled by Govt.

in the right hands marvellous in the wrong hands...well!!!

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:31pm

Please delete wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:48pm:
"Ernie : "Explain where my logic is warped. Or is that just a lazy insult?"

With an attitude such as this, nothing would ever be done, this is the equivalent of a bureaucrat saying, don`t ask if it`s legal, go and spend 50 - 100 million on a proposition and I might look at it.  Do you see now how silly this approach is?  Please don`t reply with a meaningless little time wasting twisted silliness. "

EVERY TENDERER invests large amounts developing their business case.

One or more of them is nuclear - what's the problem?

I have repeatedly SUGGESTED that the best way to clear the air and discuss the issues, in a real world context, is for someone to mount a serious proposal. Doesn't have to be a $50 business case, but tht would be best.

That way, we have something to discuss.

Why is that illogical? I remind you again about the ridiculous way govts developed the desal plants.

Your scenario gives some sort of blanket approval without any context - an unrealistic way to proceed. My first question would be "what type of reactor", my second question would be "where". Without answers to those questions, how could anyone consider the problem?

Back to my mantra - have your debate. Nothing is stopping like minded people from arguing their case.

Ernie, it doesn`t matter if the front door is painted blue or pink.  What does matter is solving the environmental, and the power generation issues.  If you want to cop out of the discussion, so be it, just be honest about the fact and don`t try to blame others for your lack of community spirit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print