Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Everything squandered, now a rainy day. (Read 8730 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Everything squandered, now a rainy day.
Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:31am

the left came into a vault packed solid with cold hard cash.

they wasted their way through it, destroying almost every industry they touched.

now, we have a need for money - one that would "stimulate" the economy.
thanks to their financial folly, the economy is now in critical care.

Once again, Tony Abbott comes out with sensible logical alternatives.

Quote:
..........Using her strongest language so far to convey the extent of the budget cuts, Ms Gillard said "every dollar" in the Budget needed to be used for the best possible purpose.

"There is going to be some pain around and people are going to have to recognise that," Ms Gillard told reporters on Channel 10. "We will make some choices . . . and they're going to be tough choices."

Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott will push to scrap $500 million of Building the Education Revolution projects to partly replace Ms Gillard's flood levy. He would also seek a similar amount in deferrals of the water buyback scheme.Mr Abbott will take the full flood package to his shadow cabinet today as an alternative to the Government's $5.8 billion recovery plan, which includes the $1.8 billion levy to be applied to people with income above $50,000.

It is believed that further savings would also be made from cuts to the computers in schools program, which was promised by Kevin Rudd in 2007, and which has blown out from $1 billion to $2 billion.
Mr Abbott will unveil his plan before meeting with Independents to try to convince them to block the Government's levy legislation, which is expected to go to Parliament before the end of the week.

Mr Abbott yesterday would not confirm what was in the package but said the Murray Darling Basin $1.3 billion water buyback scheme was an area where cuts would also be made.

"Now is not the time to be buying back water, particularly when the Murray Darling Basin plan is up for grabs. It seems that would be one area that could be very substantially deferred," he said.

"We do not need a new tax on top of all the other misery which these natural disasters have visited upon the Australian people."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/money-matters/julia-gillard-warns-of-budget-...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Please delete
Gold Member

Please delete this smacking

Re: Everything squandered, now a rainy day.
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:46am

It happens that I agree that there is no need for a levy.

Gillard missed an opportunity to wedge Abbott, who would have looked like a mongrel when he argued against deficit AND disaster relief.

I might disagree with some of the things he would cut, or even the need to cut anything, but in essence, I agree.

That doesn't mean Abbott isn't a damned fool hypocrite, whose party levied us when they didn't need to, and who would have levied businesses for his ridiculous parental leave scheme, had he formed government.

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:04am

Whats happened to ‘deferring the NBN’ . Has it  vanished from the Coalition’s list of savings ?

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:12am

Quote:
Whats happened to ‘deferring the NBN’ . Has it  vanished from the Coalition’s list of savings ?

I think it makes more sense to be putting the NBN into areas that need rebuilding anyway.  It wouldnt be any more expensive to the re-laying fibre as opposed to re-laying copper.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

mavisdavis
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:16am

Please delete wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:46am:
It happens that I agree that there is no need for a levy.

Gillard missed an opportunity to wedge Abbott, who would have looked like a mongrel when he argued against deficit AND disaster relief.

I might disagree with some of the things he would cut, or even the need to cut anything, but in essence, I agree.

That doesn't mean Abbott isn't a damned fool hypocrite, whose party levied us when they didn't need to, and who would have levied businesses for his ridiculous parental leave scheme, had he formed government.

I agree with you Ernie.

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:22am

Verge wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:12am:
Quote:
Whats happened to ‘deferring the NBN’ . Has it  vanished from the Coalition’s list of savings ?

I think it makes more sense to be putting the NBN into areas that need rebuilding anyway.  It wouldnt be any more expensive to the re-laying fibre as opposed to re-laying copper.

Of course I was one of the ones topoint that out earlier. Hpwever I would like to hear that come from Abbott, Hockeys or Turnbulls mouth. AS they ran it down , btw hope all is going well in the farts burps and smiles areas....

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:40am

Quote:
Quote:

I think it makes more sense to be putting the NBN into areas that need rebuilding anyway.  It wouldnt be any more expensive to the re-laying fibre as opposed to re-laying copper.

Of course I was one of the ones topoint that out earlier. Hpwever I would like to hear that come from Abbott, Hockeys or Turnbulls mouth. AS they ran it down , btw hope all is going well in the farts burps and smiles areas....

All is going very well.

As for the other topic, it makes sense to go to fibre, if not so much for the NBN but for future telecommunications any way.

When I did a major renovation on my old home I replaced all the old wiring with the exposed earths to the new wiring and put 4 times more power points in while I was going.

You never rebuilding to existing standards as they are already decades old.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:50am

Quote:

The Liberal Party is DETERMINED that
any form of NBN should NOT proceed under a Labor government

The LAST thing they want is the history books giving credit to those
"damn commies"
building any form of infrastucture

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:53am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:50am:
Quote:

"damn commies"

Its not necessarily the NBN, its the laying of fibre optic.

You might as well lay it since we do have an ever increasing population.

I also think they should be putting power under ground at the same time.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:55am

Quote:
Tony Abbott will push to scrap $500 million of Building the Education Revolution

TEDDY'S on to this one as WELL ....

Education facing big cuts

February 7, 2011

THE Victorian Education Department is facing budget cuts of almost $350 million over the next 4½ years.

Opposition education spokesman Rob Hulls said department officials had told him at a briefing last week they had been ordered to find $338 million in savings, including $36 million by June 30.

''Here we go again - one of the Liberal government's first decisions is to hack into the education budget,''
Mr Hulls said. ''These are substantial cutbacks … they have decided to turn their back on the state school system.''

The Victorian Association of State Secondary Principals said the cuts were particularly galling given
the Coalition would increase funding to non-government schools by $240 million over the next four years
, starting from the beginning of the 2011 school year.

''I can't understand why more money is going to the private sector when we have so many government schools that need to be brought up to scratch,'' said president Frank Sal.

''Clearly from a government secondary perspective, I'd be very concerned if they are cutting any dollars from the government school sector.''

The Coalition spokesman said savings would be made by reducing expenditure on media, marketing, advertising, political opinion polling, external consultants and legal advisers, the size of ministerial offices and travel expenses.

''Savings … will be made across all departments without cuts to public servants,'' he said.

But the Victorian president of the Australian Education Union, Mary Bluett, said
any suggestion that funding cuts would not affect schools was nonsense.

''I can't see where the cuts can come from - Victoria already has the leanest education bureaucracy in the nation,'' she said. ''They want to cut $338 million from the education budget at a time when every other state and territory is increasing their funding for education.''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/education-facing-big-cuts-warns-opposition-201...

Sound familiar ?

OPPOSITION leader Ted Baillieu has backed the former Kennett government's controversial school closures, putting him at odds with his own education spokesman.

Shadow education spokesman Martin Dixon has said some of the schools that were shut down probably should have remained open.

"I think we got it wrong in some suburbs," he told The Age.

Three hundred schools were closed and 8000 teachers sacked by the Kennett government, which held power from 1992 until 1999.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/baillieu-backs-kennett-school-closures/20...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:03am

Verge wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:53am:
Quote:

"damn commies"

Victorian premier elect Ted Baillieu's promise to implement all of the Bushfire Royal Commission's recommendations has raised questions about how the most costly and controversial proposals would be carried out.

The outgoing Brumby government had rejected the recommendations to put power lines underground and buyout properties in the riskiest bushfire areas.

But Mr Baillieu has always maintained a coalition government would tackle both these proposals, a position he reiterated on Tuesday.

In relation to the buyout, Mr Baillieu explained a coalition government would look to the bushfire reconstruction authority and local councils to identify areas that would qualify for the scheme.

He said the state had a history of similar "buybacks" which had taken up to 20 years to complete.

"This is a program of identifying land and mutually agreeing that it's in everybody's interests for a buyback to take place," Mr Baillieu told reporters.

Former premier John Brumby rejected the commission's buyout recommendation, saying it could actually increase fire risk by leaving some homes surrounded by empty overgrown properties and it would be too costly

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/baillieus-costly-bushfire-promise-...

IP Logged

nichy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:05am

Three hundred schools were closed and 8000 teachers sacked by the Kennett government, which held power from 1992 until 1999.  ...buzz

And new schools were built in areas with increasing population growth.  The majority of schools closed in that era were in areas where the number families with school age children were rapidly decreasing, as the outer suburbs were being developed and populated by  younger families .

"He who does not value life does not deserve it." -- Leonardo da Vinci&&&&

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:09am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:31am:
the left came into a vault packed solid with cold hard cash.

they wasted their way through it, destroying almost every industry they touched.

now, we have a need for money - one that would "stimulate" the economy.
thanks to their financial folly, the economy is now in critical care.

Once again, Tony Abbott comes out with sensible logical alternatives.

Quote:
..........Using her strongest language so far to convey the extent of the budget cuts, Ms Gillard said "every dollar" in the Budget needed to be used for the best possible purpose.

"There is going to be some pain around and people are going to have to recognise that," Ms Gillard told reporters on Channel 10. "We will make some choices . . . and they're going to be tough choices."

Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott will push to scrap $500 million of Building the Education Revolution projects to partly replace Ms Gillard's flood levy. He would also seek a similar amount in deferrals of the water buyback scheme.Mr Abbott will take the full flood package to his shadow cabinet today as an alternative to the Government's $5.8 billion recovery plan, which includes the $1.8 billion levy to be applied to people with income above $50,000.

It is believed that further savings would also be made from cuts to the computers in schools program, which was promised by Kevin Rudd in 2007, and which has blown out from $1 billion to $2 billion.
Mr Abbott will unveil his plan before meeting with Independents to try to convince them to block the Government's levy legislation, which is expected to go to Parliament before the end of the week.

Mr Abbott yesterday would not confirm what was in the package but said the Murray Darling Basin $1.3 billion water buyback scheme was an area where cuts would also be made.

"Now is not the time to be buying back water, particularly when the Murray Darling Basin plan is up for grabs. It seems that would be one area that could be very substantially deferred," he said.

"We do not need a new tax on top of all the other misery which these natural disasters have visited upon the Australian people."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/money-matters/julia-gillard-warns-of-budget-...

Can we please stop lying
http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/meganomics/index.php/theaustralian/commen...
Quote:
KEN Henry must have realised by now that his Treasury Department let the nation down at the last federal election.

The charter of budget honesty was meant to take the guesswork out of fiscal policy for voters because it gave Treasury the opportunity to update the numbers in the middle of thecampaign.

We were told there would be surpluses into the next decade. In fact, the budget was shot at the time of the election because too much of the revenue windfall from the resources boom had been handed back as tax cuts and increased spending.

“The structural budget balance deteriorated from 2002-03,
moving into structural deficit in 2006-07,”
Treasury said in budget paper No1 on Tuesday night.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:13am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:03am:
Verge wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:53am:
Quote:

"damn commies"

Victorian premier elect Ted Baillieu's promise to implement all of the Bushfire Royal Commission's recommendations has raised questions about how the most costly and controversial proposals would be carried out.

The outgoing Brumby government had rejected the recommendations to put power lines underground and buyout properties in the riskiest bushfire areas.

But Mr Baillieu has always maintained a coalition government would tackle both these proposals, a position he reiterated on Tuesday.

In relation to the buyout, Mr Baillieu explained a coalition government would look to the bushfire reconstruction authority and local councils to identify areas that would qualify for the scheme.

He said the state had a history of similar "buybacks" which had taken up to 20 years to complete.

"This is a program of identifying land and mutually agreeing that it's in everybody's interests for a buyback to take place," Mr Baillieu told reporters.

Former premier John Brumby rejected the commission's buyout recommendation, saying it could actually increase fire risk by leaving some homes surrounded by empty overgrown properties and it would be too costly

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/baillieus-costly-bushfire-promise-...

That isnt relevant to this case, and there is substantial repairs required to the power networks there at the moment.  For every line that needs repairing, they should be putting it under ground instead.  It makes sense to do it now when the major repairs are being under taken and the massive amount of repairs that are needed to roads anyway.

But I wouldnt expect you to understand.

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:04am

Reasonable  response - link attached.

'Currently there is plenty of water so guess what? That means it is CHEAPER to buy back now then at any time! If we wait till we get another drought, then water buybacks would be expensive. In other words, instead of saving the country money, make it spend more than it needed to.

Added to the list of strange ideas came the idea to support those indirectly affected by the floods. He argued that if you are business that had business with Qld or Vic then it will affect your business. Very true. But guess what Tony? Show me one person in Australia that has not been indirectly or directly affected by the flood and cyclone?

While you scoffed at the idea of giving $900 stimulus to taxpayers, you want to give $100K interest free loans to almost every business in the country! Where the hell are you going to pay for that? For example if I had a fruit shop in Sydney and I can not trade in Qld bananas, then am I not indirectly affected by the damage? Good! Send me my interest free $100k please!'

http://ashghebranious.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/tony-abbott-has-things-on-his-min...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print