Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gillard sets up flood oversight body (Read 1790 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Gillard sets up flood oversight body
Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:59pm

Gillard sets up flood oversight body

Posted 17 minutes ago

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced the formation of a reconstruction inspectorate to ensure no money is wasted during disaster rebuilding efforts around the country.

Ms Gillard says Australia is facing a tough road ahead after the summer's unprecedented floods, along with Cyclone Yasi and bushfires in Western Australia.

She says the reconstruction inspectorate, chaired by former New South Wales premier and federal finance minister John Fahey, will oversee arrangements and guard against waste.

"As we rebuild from these large-scale and widespread natural disasters, it's appropriate to have these mechanisms to ensure that every dollar is a dollar that is spent effectively, and that every dollar spent from taxpayers' money goes to do work that is necessary to rebuild the nation," she said.

The inspectorate will scrutinise all contracts before they are signed, carry out audits and make sure assistance goes to the regions most in need.

Ms Gillard says it will work directly with state agencies and report to the Cabinet sub-committee that she chairs.

"I have learned some things rolling out major construction projects [such as the Building the Education Revolution] ... and I would remind you that in many thousands of projects, complaint rates were at 3 per cent," she said.

"But as Prime Minister I will take the approach of holding up every decision to scrutiny.

"I believe this body ... will bring a new degree of oversight and that's the right thing to do.

"It's my determination to get value for money for every taxpayer dollar spent."

A $5 billion package comprised of a flood levy and spending cuts was put forward to help fund flood reconstruction, but the Government is looking to trim the budget further in the wake of Cyclone Yasi.

One option being canvassed is to cut middle-class welfare by tightening eligibility for family tax payments.

But the Opposition has attacked the levy and is drawing up a $1.8 billion hit list of its own to prove its point that a levy is not needed.

In addition to the inspectorate, two Commonwealth representatives will sit on the board of the Queensland Reconstruction Taskforce to ensure the Government's 75 per cent contribution towards rebuilding is spent wisely.

The representatives are former merchant banker Brad Orgill, who oversaw the Building the Education Revolution audit, and the departmental head of Regional Australia, Glenys Beauchamp.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/07/3131939.htm

The thinning of Australia's middle class.

And likewise with education, schools for the rich, and schools for the poor.

Does Gillard make any actual decisions for herself?

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:06pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

vegitamite
Ex Member

Re: Gillards lack of confidence costing us dearly
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:02pm

I know if you  start to bombard the boards again with theads that are similar  . AND,  with andrei also making nearly every thread about him. I ,like many others that already have, will be out of here.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:04pm

Quote:
I know if you  start to bombard the boards again with theads that are similar  . AND,  with andrei also making nearly every thread about him. I ,like many others that already have, will be out of here.

Welcome to the general Board where imcrook doesnt even bump his own threads and would rather just make new ones.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Quote:
I know if you  start to bombard the boards again with theads that are similar  . AND,  with andrei also making nearly every thread about him. I ,like many others that already have, will be out of here.

Dont go veg, we'll all just report the lying troll, and get her banned, its the best thing for this site if the troll is banned.We all need to complain about her to get her out of here.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Gillard sets up flood oversight body
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Do you prefer the new title of this thread Vegita?

Admittedly, the original was rather subjective, even if I do say so myself.

Smiley

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:14pm

mellie wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:07pm:

Smiley

I likey that you highlighted the irrelevant part in the news story to the title of your thread.

clap clap clap clap clap

Grin Grin Grin

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:26pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:14pm:
mellie wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:07pm:

Smiley

I likey that you highlighted the irrelevant part in the news story to the title of your thread.

clap clap clap clap clap

Grin Grin Grin

Talk about subtly sneaking it in...I mean, if you googled "Gillard to cut middle class welfare"... this article wouldn't come up.

She's shifty.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:30pm

I'm tired of her 'Mise en abymes' ... not unlike her cabinet, of which is a concealed cabinet within a cabinet.

What you see, is not what you get with this Gillard government.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:02pm

A Howard government didn't resort to scrimping on schools and middle class families to clean-up after Cyclone Larry.

The clean-up bill isn't unmanageable, and Abbotts determined to prove how it can be done without hurting ordinary Australians, recall Gillards generous $500 million she pledged to Indonesian schools back in November 2010?

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-generic-blog/gillards-500-million-pledge-for-ind...

Smiley...She found $500 million easily enough for Indonesian schools, why not for our flood and cyclone victims?

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:19pm

Quote:
The clean-up bill isn't unmanageable, and Abbotts determined to prove how it can be done

yea Abbotts plan to ask for Liberal party donations is a great plan.
LOL,
lucky he'll be gone in a few months.
The Libs have realised Abbott is a dead weight around their neck, Hockey has come out today and said Abbotts plan is just plain stupid, abbotts on his last legs,he's time is up.

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:33pm

I would love to be in charge of approving the tenders for contract works, and be in charge of actually getting the works done.

I'd only take 10% of what I would save them.

The BS public service will ruin this again approving blown out contracts and not holding the trades people to account.  There should never be a budget blowout.  That the contract, thats the price now do it.

I remember when we were starting the building phase of our house and the differrent companies would try lines like "it costs more to fill that alfresco in" when it entailed less windows and bricks than the current design and how they tried to justify cetain expenses.  I remember one such salesman asking if he was on trial or something.

If the government had half a brain they would look to employ some ex-builders or builders nearing retirement on two or three year contracts and put them in charge of it.  They are the ones that know what things cost and wouldnt let others pull the wool over their eyes.  They could also undertake the inspections to ensure the works are up to scratch.

Same could be said for engineering work and earthmoving for example.

There is no real experience in the public service and what we will see is another good meaning project come under fire for cost blow outs and ridicious tenders granted.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 5:02pm

do you think its time for another 20/20.. as everyone comes in drop their tenders in the boxes provided.. imagine the time saved...lol

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:52pm

Flood watchdog is a waste, says Abbott

Quote:
Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says the government's plan to set up a watchdog over flood recovery spending shows it can't be trusted with taxpayers' money.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard on Monday announced former NSW premier John Fahey would chair a body with the power to check contracts and ensure value-for-money in disaster recovery spending.

Mr Abbott told a shadow ministry meeting in Canberra on Monday the move showed Ms Gillard had accepted her government could not be trusted to spend money.

"By putting in place this new body, this new bureaucracy, to oversee the flood and the storm spending they have accepted that the public don't believe they can be trusted with money," Mr Abbott said.

"The fact is, you should not need a second bureaucracy to ensure that the first bureaucracy spends money wisely."

Mr Abbott said the government was "addicted to taxes" and had no agenda.

"Every month that this government lasts is, in a sense, a worse month for our country," he told his shadow ministers, ahead of parliament resuming for the year on Tuesday.

"It's our job to do everything we can to bring about a change for the better as soon as possible."

Mr Abbott said he had received strong support in the community for his proposal for concessional loans for small businesses indirectly affected by flooding and Cyclone Yasi.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/flood-watchdog-is-a-waste-says-abb...

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:57pm

Quote:
The fact is, you should not need a second bureaucracy to ensure that the first bureaucracy spends money wisely."
-Tony Abbott

He has a way with words, packs a statement,  gets straight to the heart of the matter, and what he says resonates, stays with you long after it's been said... and why?

Because unlike Gillard, Abbott has substance.

IP Logged

mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:27pm

"Labors factions appoint watchdog to watch over dog"

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print