Eagle and Lamb (Read 21876 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Eagle and Lamb
Reply #105 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 11:43am

Grey wrote on Jun 2nd, 2011 at 10:46am:
Quote:
I believe, that in this 'reality', our 'circumstances' are rarely within our control.

But our choices here, are always within our control.

Does Yadda not see any connection between choice and circumstance?

Grey,

Do you participate in the Lotto draws ???

Some people win the 1st divisions, in those Lotto draws Grey.

And their lives change.

And only good things happen to them thereafter, after they come into all those $$$millions.

Honest Grey !!!

And you do believe me, now don't you !!!    Grin

LOL

+++

OK, you can tell that i am being factitious in presenting that scenario ?

Yes ?

Grey,

Let me make a suggestion....

Coming into a lot of money permits us to accentuate and to 'exaggerate' our nature, whatever that nature is.

So, if our circumstances improve, will we then make 'better' choices, or will we still continue to make poor choices ???

IMO, money and power, is more likely to corrupt, a good man/woman, than improve them, morally.

So, are our 'circumstances' [e.g. having money and power in this life], incredibly MORE IMPORTANT, than the choices we are able to make [...no matter what our circumstances are] ????

Grey,

You may disagree with me.

But i count the [moral, or immoral] choices we make, as being vastly more important, than the material circumstances in which those choices are made.

Should we steal, should we kill, should we be selfish, should we be generous, to those who have much less [materially], than we do ???

"And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good? Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?"

Plato

Looking at the state of the world of mankind today, apparently yes!, we do.

+++

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Professor Dumbledore to Harry.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #106 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 7:41pm

Yadda wrote on Jun 2nd, 2011 at 10:30am:
helian,

Yadda, is not 'herd' animal.

You sure about that? You seem given to quoting tired old hackneyed biblical texts like a rambling Lutheran minister Grin

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #107 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:10am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 2nd, 2011 at 7:41pm:
helian,

You sure about that? You seem given to quoting tired old hackneyed biblical texts like a rambling Lutheran minister
Grin

And quoting biblical texts makes me a herd animal, because,
....you reason, that many people today are reading and quoting the Bible ???

Is that your very best reasoning ???       Grin

Assessment - helian: FAIL

helian,

What proportion of people who refer to themselves as Christians, would you think regularly read the Bible ???

90% of Christians do you think ???

If that were true, then yes, that WOULD make me a herd animal.

Google;
the bible is irrelevant to modern scientifically literate people

+++

"The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible."

Dwight L. Moody (American Evangelist, 1837-1899)

Now for the 'mandatory' biblical text quotes....     Wink

Psalms 19:7
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Jeremiah 17:14
Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #108 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 11:20am

Yadda wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:10am:
helian,

You sure about that? You seem given to quoting tired old hackneyed biblical texts like a rambling Lutheran minister
Grin

And quoting biblical texts makes you a herd animal, because... It is always the first resort for those (particularly neo) Christians, who appear to hope their readers will be beguiled into believing that ancient, dense, cryptic metaphorical "aphorisms" (however poetic) must by that be truth itself.

Its easy to sound profound when using biblical English...

And the Lord then did saith unto Phelgm "Bewareth thou the lowly hog... For verily is he the swine of beasts, and yea though he doth paint his face to hideth his from thine own, yet still you will knoweth him. For all that which padeth his rectum, though his snout he painteth red, will forever be pork".

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #109 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:42am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 5th, 2011 at 11:20am:
Yadda wrote on Jun 3rd, 2011 at 9:10am:
helian,

Grin

And quoting biblical texts makes you a herd animal, because... It is always the first resort for those (particularly neo) Christians, who appear to hope their readers will be beguiled into believing that ancient, dense, cryptic metaphorical "aphorisms" (however poetic) must by that be truth itself.

Its easy to sound profound when using biblical English...

And the Lord then did saith unto Phelgm "Bewareth thou the lowly hog... For verily is he the swine of beasts, and yea though he doth paint his face to hideth his from thine own, yet still you will knoweth him. For all that which padeth his rectum, though his snout he painteth red, will forever be pork".

helian,

Call me thick, but i still fail to comprehend [using your own description] how reading and quoting the Bible, makes me a herd animal ???

Dictionary;
herd instinct = = an inclination in people or animals to behave or think like the majority.

I thought that listening to music on my ipod, and playing Warcraft on my playstation, and going to the footy, what was in vogue, within our broad society ???

But you believe that reading the Bible is what is in vogue today ???

Dictionary;
vogue = = the prevailing fashion or style at a particular time.[/u].

Reasoning, all comes down to how we define things in this world.
[That is a Yadderism]

Doesn't it helian ?

p.s.
Can i come to your Bible study group helian ???      Wink

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #110 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:00am

Yadda wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:42am:
helian,

Call me thick, but i still fail to comprehend [using your own description] how reading and quoting the Bible, makes me a herd animal ???

Dictionary;
herd instinct = = an inclination in people or animals to behave or think like the majority.

The majority? Or a majority?

Christians (particularly neo-Christians - e.g. American-style Pentecostals) predictably (instinctively?) reach for the bible at any and all opportunity when trying to make a point about anything... hoping their readers/listeners will be beguiled into believing that ancient, dense, cryptic metaphorical "aphorisms" (however poetic) must by that be truth itself... A form of begging the question.

It's common, particularly among those who hit the streets to evangelise.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:10am by NorthOfNorth »  

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #111 - Dec 26th, 2023 at 9:29pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 4th, 2011 at 3:41pm:
A bit of a controversial topic but nonetheless an interesting one.

If the lamb demands the eagle to act like the lamb, thus insinuating the eagle has free will, should the eagle also demand the lamb act like the eagle, thus insinuating the lamb also has free will?

In other words, if the more passive members of a society demand the more outgoing members act just like them, should not also the outgoing members demand the passive act like them?

The topic comes from the invention of "free will" by the passive members of society to impose rules upon the stronger. It insinuates that the stronger have the "free will" to not act strong. Does this mean the passive have the "free will" to act strongly?

I am a bit split on this one. While we can't have remorseless subjugation of the weak, there should still be allowed some kind of outlet for the strong to discharge their strength.

It breaks down right at the start when one group 'demands' another to be like them and the 'revenge of reversal' thrown back at them.
Should have just left each other alone and the lamb should accept the eagle for being an eagle and visa versa.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print