Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What motivates people to commit violence (Read 6686 times)
Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: What motivates people to commit violence
Reply #30 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:49pm

Equitist wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:31pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:25pm:
NO they weren't...they were actions within a 'declared' conflict...

I, for one, regard the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nukings as abominable acts of mass murder designed to terrorise a group of people into submission, i.e. state terrorism...

The latter bombing in particular was totally unwarranted - and therefore was a clear act of state terrorism!

And the REAL history gets worse

The USA likes to spread the propaganda that the nuking of these Japanese cites ended the war which is laughable and just spinned history as written by the victors.

The actuals events are very interesting. Japan had surrended several days before the bombings - BUT not soley to the USA but to one of the USA's allies in the war - namely the Soveit Union.

The USA demanded a surrender ONLY to the USA and under the terms they stipulate.

The other question one can ask is WHY didnt the USA drop a bom on Berlin? WOuld that have ended the war too?

These were civilian targets - the number 1 and number 2 war crimes of the last century were the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - classice text book defintion of a terrorist act (as defined by the USA military manuals).

I mean for people in here to be apologists for these atrocites is not only appaling but a testament to the effectiveness of Western propaganda since the war ended.

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 7:55am

Pearl Harbor was likewise a civilian target. Surely the attack on Pearl Harbor was also state terrorism. A nation that delivers state terrorism can hardly complain when terrorism is visited upon it.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #32 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 1:57pm

salad in wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 7:55am:
Pearl Harbor was likewise a civilian target. Surely the attack on Pearl Harbor was also state terrorism. A nation that delivers state terrorism can hardly complain when terrorism is visited upon it.

As was London, during the Blitz, and Dresden, in the retalitory bombings, and Sydney during the minisub attack...

It was a WAR.....

Nagasaki 'may' have been unnecessary, but alas, we'll never know...However, the atomic bombings DID end the war, and save a lot of lives...on both sides...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #33 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:05pm

Quote:
The other question one can ask is WHY didnt the USA drop a bom on Berlin? WOuld that have ended the war too?

Well it 'could' have something to do with the fact that the German High Command had surrendered more than two months BEFORE the first atomic bomb was tested!!!!!

LOL talk about "the REAL history gets worse"

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:59pm

I always have a a laugh when those ignorant of history condemn the use of nuclear weapons on Japan.

The US had planned an invasion of the Japanese home islands beginning in November 1945. After the experience of the fanatical Japanese resistance (civilian as well as military) in the island hopping campaign, it was estimated that allied casualties would exceed one million in the opening stages of this campaign, and it may take until 1948 to achieve final victory. When the nuclear option was presented it was seized upon as a way to end the war with minimal casualties on both sides, which it did.

You can read a brief summary here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #35 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:12pm

????

The attack on Pearl Harbour was a standard military target operation - remember a fleet of US Naval ships were there.

At the time, Hawaii was NOT part of the USA - so it wasnt even an attack on the US mainland.

How can you classify the Peral Harbour attacks as terrorism against civlian targets?

IP Logged

Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #36 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:16pm

Belgarion wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 2:59pm:
I always have a a laugh when those ignorant of history condemn the use of nuclear weapons on Japan.

Well of course you laugh

You refuse to accept (or perhaps understand) such a simple ethic as the Pinciple of Universality.

You also classify the worth of poeple based on the melanonin content of their epidermal covering or other superficial genetic traits.

I think I uderstand where you are coming from now

cheers

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #37 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:59pm

Foolosophy wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:12pm:

????

The attack on Pearl Harbour was a standard military target operation - remember a fleet of US Naval ships were there.

At the time, Hawaii was NOT part of the USA - so it wasnt even an attack on the US mainland.
How can you classify the Peral Harbour attacks as terrorism against civlian targets?

So an attack on a neutral nation (uninvolved in the conflict) is NOT an act of Terrorism???

Do you actually STUDY to be this dumb...or is it natural talent???

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #38 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:43pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:59pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Mar 27th, 2011 at 3:12pm:

????

So an attack on a neutral nation (uninvolved in the conflict) is NOT an act of Terrorism???

Do you actually STUDY to be this dumb...or is it natural talent???

Let me summarise your position - the nuking of civilian cities in Japan IS NOT a terrorist attack but the bombing of the US Navy sitting in Pearl Harbour is?

lol

Have you looked up a typical definition of what terrorism is yet? These sound familiar to you? Or do you apply them in a very selective manner?

"...the calculated use of violence or threat of violence to attain goals that are political, religious, or ideological in nature....through intimidation, coercion, or instilling fear."
US Army Manual definition of terrorism

"Terrorism is the use or threat of action which is violent, damaging, or disrupting, and is intended to influence the government or intimidate the public and is for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause"
British government definition of terrorism

Perhaps ladies and gentlement
gizmo
may consider educating himself as some point in the future (for the first time)
Grin

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #39 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 8:59pm

Quote:
Perhaps ladies and gentlement gizmo may consider educating himself as some point in the future (for the first time)

Don't hold your breath.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print