Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print
Nanny State Anti Smoking Campaign (Read 65881 times)
Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: Nanny State Anti Smoking Campaign
Reply #15 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:03pm

Kat wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:29pm:
Kat wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:28pm:
Bottom line is that this is a decision that society and the

government SHOULD NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE.

It is, was, and always should be a PERSONAL CHOICE.

so why not allow tobacco advertising in the media and in schools?

Schools, no. Don't be obtuse.

But I have NO problem with it elsewhere.

BTW, I don't smoke. I quit.

But it was MY CHOICE, not that of a useless, self-serving,
social-engineering Nanny-State government..

Is it yoru choice to live in a tyrannical corporate fascist slave system? How obtusely derranged

So putting tobacco advertising on TV, on trains, in bus shelters, on sporting grounds, sponsoring McDonalds perhaps, at the Coles check out counter etc is OK with you?

Do you think anything through before you post in here?

Dont bother answering that question

Now BEGONE with you fascist corporate  coward of Hades

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:10pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:53pm:
Equitist wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:47pm:

It might be a personal choice to handle asbestos fibro products without appropriate protection too - but it is incumbent upon the Govt to legislate to prevent further production and formally regulate the disposal of same!

I personally think that tobacco sales should be more heavily restricted on the grounds of the public health concerns and associated costs - but no Govt has the courage to do so yet...

In the absence of the political will for such restrictions, I support the less heavy-handed approach of removing the status symbols associated with this dangerous addiction - and of providing graphic in-the-face health warnings on cigarette packaging...

"It might be a personal choice to handle asbestos fibro products without appropriate protection too -"

Precisely...if I want to hit my thumb with a hammer....why is it anyone elses business??????

If I choose to do something 'dangerous', that doesn't affect ANYONE else...what give YOU the right to say I can't????

At this stage, few people are presuming the right to say that you can't smoke - and the Govt is simply trying to discourage young people from taking smoking up, as well as encouraging you and other existing smokers to quit...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #17 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:11pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:52pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:49pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:44pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:38pm:
...studies show that children and even adults who smoke believe that the cigarettes taste better when they come from a shinny glossy fancy package (even though identical cigarettes were put into fancy and blank packages)

The criminal tobacco corporations also know this.

Currently in Australia 15,000 Australians die from smoking related diseases like cancer etc EACH YEAR

In fact half the total medical costs for the Australian hospital and health care system is due to smoking and drinking of alcohol.

Smokers require several billion dollars of tax payers money to be pumped into the health care system each year.

And the tobacco industry is considering litigation against the Australian givernment for infringement of intellectual property and the freedom of corporate expression etc - laughable!

Philip Morris is also enacting the US free trade agreement SIGNED by our WORST prime minister EVER in 2006 to obatin compensation. This US FREE TRADE AGREEMENT (scam) is about protecting US inverstors.

So why was this thread commenced?

Nanny state bullcrap - the only leg they have to stand on.

Perhaps the Tobacco industry can PAY for the human toll their toxic products produce? Certainly the taxes collected dont cover the costs to the health care system  

prevailing - shall I go on? or are embarrassed enough and wish to delete this thread topic

Yes, but smoking IS still legal.....and the packaging is about market share....

msrket share of hospital beds

(ther is gizmo defending the corrupt fascist corporate welfare state even when it KILLS and knows that its products KILLS)

No, just defending the 'right' to smoke.....
Like I'll defend YOUR right to be an idiot....

It's legal, as is drinking, voting for who you choose, and other basic rights...

It makes no difference if I choose to do something 'legal' but harmful.....it's STILL MY choice...

You are correct Gizmo, smaking is still legal.

So, it should be banned!

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:17pm

Equitist wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:10pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:53pm:
Equitist wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:47pm:

It might be a personal choice to handle asbestos fibro products without appropriate protection too - but it is incumbent upon the Govt to legislate to prevent further production and formally regulate the disposal of same!

I personally think that tobacco sales should be more heavily restricted on the grounds of the public health concerns and associated costs - but no Govt has the courage to do so yet...

In the absence of the political will for such restrictions, I support the less heavy-handed approach of removing the status symbols associated with this dangerous addiction - and of providing graphic in-the-face health warnings on cigarette packaging...

"It might be a personal choice to handle asbestos fibro products without appropriate protection too -"

Precisely...if I want to hit my thumb with a hammer....why is it anyone elses business??????

If I choose to do something 'dangerous', that doesn't affect ANYONE else...what give YOU the right to say I can't????

At this stage, few people are presuming the right to say that you can't smoke - and the Govt is simply trying to discourage young people from taking smoking up, as well as encouraging you and other existing smokers to quit...

And the Gov can 'encourage' all they want..if it works, that's fine...If it doesn't work...then that is ALSO fine, yes???

Until smoking is declared 'illegal'....which won't happen any time soon..(due to the amount of tax that smoking provides) then there really isn't ANYTHING that can be done about smoking...correct??

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:18pm

perceptions_now wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:11pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:52pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:49pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:44pm:
Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 4:38pm:
...studies show that children and even adults who smoke believe that the cigarettes taste better when they come from a shinny glossy fancy package (even though identical cigarettes were put into fancy and blank packages)

The criminal tobacco corporations also know this.

Currently in Australia 15,000 Australians die from smoking related diseases like cancer etc EACH YEAR

In fact half the total medical costs for the Australian hospital and health care system is due to smoking and drinking of alcohol.

Smokers require several billion dollars of tax payers money to be pumped into the health care system each year.

And the tobacco industry is considering litigation against the Australian givernment for infringement of intellectual property and the freedom of corporate expression etc - laughable!

Philip Morris is also enacting the US free trade agreement SIGNED by our WORST prime minister EVER in 2006 to obatin compensation. This US FREE TRADE AGREEMENT (scam) is about protecting US inverstors.

So why was this thread commenced?

Nanny state bullcrap - the only leg they have to stand on.

Perhaps the Tobacco industry can PAY for the human toll their toxic products produce? Certainly the taxes collected dont cover the costs to the health care system  

prevailing - shall I go on? or are embarrassed enough and wish to delete this thread topic

Yes, but smoking IS still legal.....and the packaging is about market share....

msrket share of hospital beds

(ther is gizmo defending the corrupt fascist corporate welfare state even when it KILLS and knows that its products KILLS)

No, just defending the 'right' to smoke.....
Like I'll defend YOUR right to be an idiot....

It's legal, as is drinking, voting for who you choose, and other basic rights...

It makes no difference if I choose to do something 'legal' but harmful.....it's STILL MY choice...

You are correct Gizmo, smaking is still legal.

So, it should be banned!

So UNTIL it's banned...Why don't you rack off and leave us alone????

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #20 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:23pm

quit gizmo quit

if you have the moral courage and personal strength

Oh poor gizmo - dont tell me that you cant quit? Are you addicted to Philip Morris's cancer sticks?

And at the same time your filling the CEO's pockets with bonuses

Its your right!

You even pay for the glossy packaging and advertising and the ammonia

LOL

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:26pm

Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:23pm:
quit gizmo quit

if youhave the moral courage and personal strength

Oh poor gizmo - dont tell ne that you cant quit? Ar eyou addicted to Philip morris's cancer sticks?

Its your right!

LOL

Why should I quit???
I still enjoy smoking...

It's a 'bitch', I smoke, I drink, I swear AND I chase wild women....ALL of which is legal....
When I decide to stop...then I will...
YOU have no right to tell ME not to do any of these things...

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #22 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:29pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:26pm:
quit gizmo quit

Oh poor gizmo - dont tell ne that you cant quit? Ar eyou addicted to Philip morris's cancer sticks?

Its your right!

LOL

Why should I quit???
I still enjoy smoking...

It's a 'bitch', I smoke, I drink, I swear AND I chase wild women....ALL of which is legal....

Its a fact that NOBODY enjoys smoking

They just cant quit or dont know any better and think it wont harm them

You're weak gizmo

Why are you wasting your money and life?

Why not give it to charity or your children?

Or are your great hopes that your children will also take up this noble intelligent pass time?

Do you wish your child to smoke?

Why?

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:29pm

Meh. This doesn't really bother me.

It's not as if it's infringing on the rights of smokers (unless they like pretty packaging). If it pisses off the cigarette companies a bit, then hurray. Can't see it doing too much though.

Having said that, I kind of have a fetish for fancy packaging. The shiny new Winfield packets looked good... (no, I don't smoke).

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

Jaykaye_09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:30pm

Foolosophy wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:29pm:

That's just silly.

If I don't respond to a post directed toward me, it's probably because I've gone offline, not because I'm rude.&&&&Or maybe I don't like you. In which case, sod off. Ta.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #25 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:48pm

quit gizmo quit

Its your right!

LOL

Why should I quit???
I still enjoy smoking...

You're weak gizmo

Or are your great hopes that your children will also take up this noble intelligent pass time?

Why?

"Its a fact that NOBODY enjoys smoking

I actually DO enjoy smoking...

AND I really don't care if MY child smokes or not..

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

ash

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 7:03pm

im a smoker...i choose to smoke, fancy packaging is just that and makes no impact on my choice to smoke...i LIKE it, i like the taste of it.

anyway, there is no way in hell any government is going to ever ban smoking outright, all they will do to keep the wowzer stop smoking brigade happy is push smokers as far as is possible so as to not lose revenue from the sale of tobacco...lots and lots of revenue just like alcohol..... but still bend the anti smoke nancys over enough to keep them happy.

i must say though that even though i smoke, i will crush my children if they try to. so what?, im a hypocrite boo hoo, i know what smoking may/maynot do to me, that's my choice as an adult.

IP Logged

ash

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 7:04pm

should add, i guess, for those who may not have a sense of humour or take things way too literally...."crush" metaphorically Smiley

IP Logged

Foolosophy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #28 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 7:12pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 6:48pm:
quit gizmo quit

Its your right!

LOL

Why should I quit???
I still enjoy smoking...

You're weak gizmo

Why?

"Its a fact that NOBODY enjoys smoking

I actually DO enjoy smoking...

AND I really don't care if MY child smokes or not..

LOL

You dont ENJOY smoking - Youre addictied to lung fickign smoke and toxins

You need personal strength to kick the habit - which you lack

You dont care what yoru child does with respect to smoking?

LOL

You may be a derranged corporate slave but you LIE very poorly

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #29 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 7:20pm

There has been the usual media commentary on this issue throughout the day - and once again I note that the right whingers remain reluctant to curb the profiteering of big tobacco out of the vulnerabilities of their gravely-addicted client base...

When it comes to pollies, these are usually the very same people who insist on budget surpluses, controlling the wombs of women and decline to legally recognise the relationship choices of homosexuals...

They refuse to acknowledge the enormous human health and financial costs to the nation - and choose to ignore the impact that smoking has upon the national budget bottom line...along with too many budgets of individuals and families...

Go figure, eh!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print