Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Illegalization of products which mimic pot (Read 9601 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Illegalization of products which mimic pot
Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:44am

I have tried a couple of herbal (so called "incense") products which are supposed to mimic the effect of pot.., and they are very very good IMO.

In fact, I prefer them over pot if I were to choose.

But sorrowfully, that choice seems to have already been taken away before democratic judgement can be made.

W.A. health organizations are already banning these products without providing any rhyme or reason to their stance. ..except that the product does work, and it does gets you high.
Tasmania is soon to follow at the end of this month.

Are they right? If so, then why?ii
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2011 at 5:17pm by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: Illegalization of natural products which mimic pot
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 10:40am

Amadd wrote on Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:44am:
I have tried a couple of herbal (so called "incense") products which are supposed to mimic the effect of pot.., and they are very very good IMO.

But sorrowfully, that choice seems to have already been taken away before democratic judgement can be made.

W.A. health organizations are already banning these products without providing any rhyme or reason to their stance. ..except that the product does work, and it does gets you high.
Tasmania is soon to follow at the end of this month.

Are they right? If so, then why?

A pitiful decision, and one driven entirely by business in cahoots with the west australian newspaper.
The west australian has been banging away on it for a few months now, the only 'harm' that has come from the substance is that it can't be detected by standard D & A testing.  Of course, the poor struggling mining companies can't afford to use non-standard testing procedures, so call in a favour from the editor, and VOILA! It is banned.

A fine example unfolding before our eyes, of how big business runs our life.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 8:30am

Yes, it's always going to be a problem for the controllers to dream up new and unusual ways to make us want to bow to their wishes...ie: Work harder and longer for less.

I think that these herbal products should be given a fair go and be properly tested before allowing them to be thrown into the sin bin.

As I've stated before, we live in a fast paced society where the most natural remedy (ie: a nice, long, relaxing holiday) is hardly an option to the average punter these days. If one option isn't available, then another will surely take it's place.

Upon searching for these "pseudo" drugs, I've found a few sites which sell them.
No doubt, these sites overadvertise the effects of their products in order to display a mimicing of other illegal drugs.

I tried a little "Mango Kush" about an hour ago and it's quite good IMO. It does pretty much what the name suggests.. I'm feelin' pretty kushy, but I didn't taste any mango.

(2 hrs now)
So..yeah..it's good. If I ain't gonna be afforded a nice long holiday, then I want some more of this sh!t.ii

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2011 at 8:35am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 10:15am

Quote:
Users of the drug Kronic were invited to "blaze" their stash at a State Government-funded venue in Perth tonight at a concert to finish a minute before it becomes illegal.

The thumb nosing at the Barnett Government, which introduced regulations on Monday to outlaw the synthetic cannabinoid, came yesterday after the makers of Kronic said on their website a new "Aussie Gold" formula had been released to be sold legally in WA.Joel Voyage, who runs a non- registered "hobby business" Voyage Promotions, promoted the Kronic Blowout gig at Northbridge venue The Bakery on social networking site Facebook.

Mr Voyage said the gig was a comment on a "ridiculous situation" driven by government and media fear mongering.

"This is a simple night at the pub welcoming prohibition and anyone attending is adult and entirely capable of making their own decisions," he said by email.

The flyer for the show - headlined by WA reggae outfit Sunshine Brothers - advertises a performance from DJ Krolin Barnett and offers a prize for the biggest Kronic spliff rolled on the night.

Artrage, the non-profit group that runs the venue, gets Department for Culture and the Arts funding and a recent refurbishment was partially funded by taxpayers.

But despite the show taking a pot-shot at politicians who hold its purse strings, Artrage chief executive Marcus Canning said it would not stop the gig. "Our standard policy is that artists are entitled to express their views in whatever way they want as long as it is legal and does not put others at risk of harm," he said.

"As such, we do not censor works or the marketing of works by independent promoters and artists at the venue unless they are illegal." But Bakery backers Western Power and the State Government did not share Mr Canning's view.

Culture and the Arts Minister John Day said Artrage should take whatever action it could to stop a "Kronic party" at its venue.

A Western Power spokesman said the company was disappointed Kronic was used to promote the gig.

The Kronic Australia website says Aussie Gold is "legal in all Australian States, including WA", as of June 14.
Mental Health Minister Helen Morton said if the new product had any of the seven illegal chemicals in Kronic, users would be prosecuted. A mechanism to ban all new products was being explored.

Shows the situtaion doesn't it?  Ban one, and another will take it's place.

Sad that the powers that be still want to treat us all as children - "take whatever action is necessary"  to stop people using a legal substance at a party.

IP Logged

stonehenge

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 3:39pm

Yep. It's typical.

I have also Emailed a number of Politicians involved in the decision, and barnett, but surprise surprise - no replies bar one automated bot reply.

Back to the grog I guess, no one has ever been harmed by that...

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:07pm

Amadd wrote on Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:44am:

But sorrowfully, that choice seems to have already been taken away before democratic judgement .......

So you are not looking for a job in the WA mining boom, then? Grin Grin

Over the din of his welding shop, Fitzclarence explains how finding the right employee can be daunting. In filling a recent vacancy, he tried several hopeless local candidates before finally hiring a hard-working, reliable Bangladeshi.

"We couldn't get someone who wasn't a complete loser or a drug addict ... it was causing no end of trouble," he says.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/14/us-australia-labour-idUSTRE75D0PD201106...

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 5:41pm

Quote:
So you are not looking for a job in the WA mining boom, then?  Grin Grin

Not really. I net more than a lot of those workers and my workplace is only 5 minutes away.
To boot, it seems that W.A. is not the free and easy state that it once was.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 6:22pm

Quote:
UPDATE: 1.10pm A mass party for users of the synthetic cannabis Kronic that was due to kick off tonight at a State Government-funded arts venue has been cancelled.

The Bakery in Northbridge has been closed for 24 hours in the interest of public safety by the Police Liquor Enforcement Unit.
Premier Colin Barnett today blasted as inappropriate the “Kronic Blowout’ gig at Northbridge’s The Bakery.

He said Arts Minister John Day was writing to the operators of the publicly funded venue to detail his outrage at the move to host a party which encouraged people to smoke Kronic up until it become illegal at midnight.

“I think that is highly inappropriate,” Mr Barnett said. “Artrage is an organisation that is given State Government funding.

“The Minister for Arts has today written to Artrage and pointed out that it is inappropriate that a venue that they manage should be used for this.

“In no way should any organisation, particularly one that receives Government funding, either condone encourage or facilitate drug use.

“I would hope that they reconsider their decision to hold this event.

“When you receive Government funding with it goes some mutual obligations and responsibilities.

“This is irresponsible and the Government has no tolerance for this behaviour.”

Mr Barnett said he had expected police at the gig.

“I would be very surprised if the police are not there,” he said.

The thumb nosing at the Barnett Government, which introduced regulations on Monday to outlaw the synthetic cannabinoid, came yesterday after the makers of Kronic said on their website a new "Aussie Gold" formula had been released to be sold legally in WA.

Joel Voyage, who runs a non- registered "hobby business" Voyage Promotions, promoted the Kronic Blowout gig at Northbridge venue The Bakery on social networking site Facebook.

Mr Voyage said the gig was a comment on a "ridiculous situation" driven by Government and media fear mongering.

"This is a simple night at the pub welcoming prohibition and anyone attending is adult and entirely capable of making their own decisions," he said by email.

The flyer for the show - headlined by WA reggae outfit Sunshine Brothers - advertises a performance from DJ Krolin Barnett and offers a prize for the biggest Kronic spliff rolled on the night.

Despite the show taking a pot-shot at politicians who hold its purse strings, Artrage chief executive Marcus Canning said it would not stop the gig. "Our standard policy is that artists are entitled to express their views in whatever way they want as long as it is legal and does not put others at risk of harm," he said.

"As such, we do not censor works or the marketing of works by independent promoters and artists at the venue unless they are illegal." But Bakery backers Western Power and the State Government did not share Mr Canning’s view.

The Kronic Australia website says Aussie Gold is "legal in all Australian States, including WA", as of June 14.
Mental Health Minister Helen Morton said if the new product had any of the seven illegal chemicals in Kronic, users would be prosecuted. A mechanism to ban all new products was being explored.

Fascism is alive and kicking in WA it seems.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 1:23am

Fascism is alive and kicking in WA it seems.

Hey Amadd - Kush sounds OK.  Tongue Roll Eyes
I'm a self - confessed hermit, and have not really heard about these synthetics.  I'd be more than happy to 'evaluate them'! Smiley Wink  (Remember trying Guarana when it first came out -  not my style - too fast for me - harmful? - NO.)

Of course , living in QLD , we hear  virtually nix about these new 'things'.  I do recall hearing - whilst reading, - on the News the reference to this but paid little attention.   Its fascinating really -  the reaction of the powers that be.
Like most things  ruling our society, FEAR , is the motivator.  So sad - and so detrimental in its stupidity.

Why officialdom, in general , has a big problem with this sort of thing is a mystery -- UNLESS you look at the OTHER major motivator in our sick society - which is MONEY!!

And yet still, the reasoning is badly askew.
Is any one sane - ??. Huh,

live every day

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 2:52am

Stephen Fry, in reference to Ecstacy and Fortnum and Masons hampers.

Quote:
Stephen
They invented it much earlier than the Second World War. It was in the First World War. It was a hydrastinine, or a hydrastinine, if you prefer, which is a drug for binding wounds, drying blood, if you like. That was its original purpose; not a truth drug at all. It was there to help wounds heal. This was the time it's . . . I think we've covered before: It was during the time of what they called The Great Binge, the period from the, sort of, 1880s up until the First World War, when everyone was on drugs, seemingly all the time. And you could go to Fortnum and Mason's at the beginning of the First World War, and you could order a hamper for your boys at the front, which included heroine, cocaine, syringes . . . It was all legal, and it was all--

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?action=post;num=1308008665;title=PostRepl...

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:09am

Quote:
Enlarge photo

A second event held to use up supplies of the synthetic cannabis Kronic before it becomes illegal today was shut down last night - five minutes after it began.

The Say No to Legal and Illegal Drugs concert at the Civic Hotel in Inglewood was organised yesterday afternoon, just hours after police used powers under the Liquor Control Act to shut down the Kronic Blowout event planned for the Northbridge nightclub, The Bakery, last night.
It was to have been headlined by WA reggae outfit Sunshine Brothers and offered a prize for the biggest Kronic "spliff" rolled on the night.

The police intervention came after Premier Colin Barnett had earlier blasted the decision by arts group Artrage to host The Bakery event. "I think that is highly inappropriate," he said. "In no way should any organisation, particularly one that receives Government funding, either condone, encourage or facilitate drug use.

"I would hope that they reconsider their decision to hold this event."

The replacement event in Inglewood, which promised that drug taking of any kind would not be tolerated, began at 8pm but was shut down at 8.05pm.

Event organiser Joel Voyage said he was told by the manager of the hotel that the event had to be shut down because of threats of a $60,000 fine by liquor licensing officers.

"They were told the fine was for encouraging excessive smoking," Mr Voyage said.
He said the whole experience had been really funny.

"What started as a friendly joke turned into an issue of democratic rights and freedom of speech," he said. "We think the WA Government should look up democracy in the dictionary."

Mr Voyage said the event would not be moved again and he was satisfied with the result.

Police issued a statement yesterday saying they had closed The Bakery event because they believed it constituted a threat to public safety but did not comment last night on why the Inglewood event was shut down.

Claire Farely, from South Fremantle, was disappointed when she arrived at the Civic Hotel to hear the event had been shut down.

She said it was "really scary" that the Government and police could do this within such a short time.

Ho hum.  Just another day in a police state.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 11:41pm

Police State.? WA???

Surely not -  but then again, being in a national police COUNTRY - anything is apparently possible, for the PTB. ...
irregardless of Laws-  National,International,Universal.!!!

We're heading for a BIG comedown!! Cool

live every day

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 11:44pm

"irregardless"

One of my all-time favourites, regardless - irrespective even!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 11:52pm

now you got me going

how about inflammable   - which I guess my posts are sometimes  Smiley

or flammable  -  highly so !! Wink

live every day

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 1:14am

Quote:
Hey Amadd - Kush sounds OK.   Tongue Roll Eyes
I'm a self - confessed hermit, and have not really heard about these synthetics.  I'd be more than happy to 'evaluate them'!  Wink
 (Remember trying Guarana when it first came out -  not my style - too fast for me - harmful? - NO.)

To be honest, I hadn't heard much about them either. I'd heard of "Kronic", but I thought that it was just a different strain of hooch.

From my limited experience with these products, I'd say that there is definitely a very relaxing effect there, ...a bit milder than hooch, and without some of the other commonly associated side-effects sofar as I can tell.

As of yet, I wouldn't be about to be shouting from the rooftops that these products are relatively harmless, but I couldn't see myself being incapacitated in any major way from the small doses that I've tried thus far.

No doubt I've already put it to the "practical test" further than those with the ability and the mindset to blindly ban them by personal choice alone.

It's quite probable that there is an addition of manufactured chemicals added to these products, however, as far as I know it's just a mix of different herbs and spices...like the Colonel's secret recipe  Wink

If you'd like to try a few of these whilst you can without repercussions Jalane, then I'm all ears to hear what you think of them.

I can see a good business coming on of providing to the W.A. miners from a legal position.  Grini

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print