Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Abbott offers tax cuts - Gillard immediately ME2 (Read 2391 times)
Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Abbott offers tax cuts - Gillard immediately ME2
Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:06pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/9707589/abbott-offers-tax-cuts-to-rally-tr...

Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott has laid out a plan to retake government, promising tax cuts for middle-income families and a "priority attack" on federal debt.

Standing before a sky-blue screen that promised hope, reward and opportunity, Mr Abbott told the Liberals' federal council on Saturday that momentum was swinging the opposition's way as Labor deals with historically low polls.

"Tax cuts are in our DNA," Mr Abbott said.

"At the next election, the coalition will deliver tax cuts that are not just compensation," he said, referring to Labor's planned carbon tax.

Turning to family tax benefits, Mr Abbott declared them "wage justice for families with children".

"The next coalition government will further simplify the family payments system," he said.

While he did not offer details on how far the simplification would go, Mr Abbott did declare it a "policy priority for the coalition" that he would "have more to say about closer to the election".

The need for better urban transport and the improvement of highways on the east coast was also highlighted by Mr Abbott, but he made no promises about what a coalition government would do.

In a lengthy speech, Mr Abbott also referenced policies he took to the 2010 election regarding a so-called green army, the creation of independent boards for schools and hospitals, and a direct-action approach to tackling climate change.

Before Mr Abbott spoke, the opposition's treasury spokesman Joe Hockey delivered a rallying cry to the faithful.

"We have a duty to ensure we do everything we can possibly do to get rid of a bad government," Mr Hockey said.

Earlier in the day, Liberal Party president Alan Stockdale was re-elected by one vote - 57-56 - after a week of infighting over who should hold what is largely a backroom position.

Howard government frontbencher Peter Reith, who was supported by the party's four vice-presidents and NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell, lost the vote.

The ballot had highlighted the strife within the party after the four vice-presidents - Alexander Downer, Tom Harley, David Russell and Danielle Blain - sent an open letter to Mr Stockdale, taking issue with his stewardship of the party's finances and stating they had confidence Mr Reith could turn things around.

Mr Reith is a controversial figure who made headlines in the maritime dispute and the "children overboard" scandal.
Just how Mr Stockdale will work with four vice-presidents who openly opposed his re-election remains to be seen

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/9708158/gillard-flags-tax-cuts-in-carbon-t...

Tax cuts and increased family payments will form part of the federal government's carbon price compensation package, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced.

Speaking at Western Australia's Labor Party conference in Perth, Ms Gillard said plans for the tax cuts and increased household assistance payments would be finalised in coming weeks.

"I really understand that many people are anxious about the impact of a price on carbon," she said.

"I understand they expect to hear from me what that is going to be all about, and I'm going to do that."

Tax cuts and payments would be targeted at "those who need it most", Ms Gillard said.

"I want to make sure that families can make a difference and help tackle climate change," she said.
"We will act fairly, we will not let Australians down."

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Re: Abbott offers tax cuts - Gillard immediately ME2
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:14pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:06pm:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/9707589/abbott-offers-tax-cuts-to-rally-tr...

Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott has laid out a plan to retake government, promising tax cuts for middle-income families and a "priority attack" on federal debt.

Standing before a sky-blue screen that promised hope, reward and opportunity, Mr Abbott told the Liberals' federal council on Saturday that momentum was swinging the opposition's way as Labor deals with historically low polls.

"At the next election, the coalition will deliver tax cuts that are not just compensation," he said, referring to Labor's planned carbon tax.

Turning to family tax benefits, Mr Abbott declared them "wage justice for families with children".

"The next coalition government will further simplify the family payments system," he said.

While he did not offer details on how far the simplification would go, Mr Abbott did declare it a "policy priority for the coalition" that he would "have more to say about closer to the election".

The need for better urban transport and the improvement of highways on the east coast was also highlighted by Mr Abbott, but he made no promises about what a coalition government would do.

In a lengthy speech, Mr Abbott also referenced policies he took to the 2010 election regarding a so-called green army, the creation of independent boards for schools and hospitals, and a direct-action approach to tackling climate change.

Before Mr Abbott spoke, the opposition's treasury spokesman Joe Hockey delivered a rallying cry to the faithful.

"We have a duty to ensure we do everything we can possibly do to get rid of a bad government," Mr Hockey said.

Earlier in the day, Liberal Party president Alan Stockdale was re-elected by one vote - 57-56 - after a week of infighting over who should hold what is largely a backroom position.

Howard government frontbencher Peter Reith, who was supported by the party's four vice-presidents and NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell, lost the vote.

The ballot had highlighted the strife within the party after the four vice-presidents - Alexander Downer, Tom Harley, David Russell and Danielle Blain - sent an open letter to Mr Stockdale, taking issue with his stewardship of the party's finances and stating they had confidence Mr Reith could turn things around.

Mr Reith is a controversial figure who made headlines in the maritime dispute and the "children overboard" scandal.
Just how Mr Stockdale will work with four vice-presidents who openly opposed his re-election remains to be seen

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/9708158/gillard-flags-tax-cuts-in-carbon-t...

Tax cuts and increased family payments will form part of the federal government's carbon price compensation package, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced.

Speaking at Western Australia's Labor Party conference in Perth, Ms Gillard said plans for the tax cuts and increased household assistance payments would be finalised in coming weeks.

"I really understand that many people are anxious about the impact of a price on carbon," she said.

"I understand they expect to hear from me what that is going to be all about, and I'm going to do that."

Tax cuts and payments would be targeted at "those who need it most", Ms Gillard said.

"I want to make sure that families can make a difference and help tackle climate change," she said.
"We will act fairly, we will not let Australians down."

Where's the money found for these cuts Maqqa?
Quote:
Mr Abbott will hit back in his speech to today's Liberal Party federal council, with a counter offer to voters of ''tax cuts without a carbon tax''.

He will promise that, if elected, he will repeal the carbon tax and the associated compensation but introduce broad tax cuts funded by spending cuts and productivity increases,
the details of which are yet to be worked out.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/leaders-bet-futures-on-rival-tax-cuts-20110624-1gjvm.html#ixzz1QFXZfLUg

What infrustructure will he sell?
What will he privitize?
How can government (of any flavour) continue to give away more and more revenue yet maintain the services we expect?

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:17pm

Did you read that 1st line?
Quote:
Mr Abbott will hit back in his speech to today's Liberal Party federal council, with a counter offer to voters of ''tax cuts without a carbon tax''.

Hit Back?
Counter Offer?
Sounds like Abbott was RESPONDING not INITIATING Wink

REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:18pm

Dsmithy70 wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:14pm:
What will he privitize?
How can government (of any flavour) continue to give away more and more revenue yet maintain the services we expect?

Lefties are in no position to ask for details when they won't released their details

But it is clear the LIBs are better economic managers than what Swan will ever hope to be

So I would believe anyone else except Swan

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:26pm

I would be happy if he just rips up the carbon tax and takes back any BS incentive that labor gave out.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:28pm

Maqqa wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:18pm:
Dsmithy70 wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:14pm:
What will he privitize?

Lefties are in no position to ask for details when they won't released their details

But it is clear the LIBs are better economic managers than what Swan will ever hope to be

So I would believe anyone else except Swan

Ok I'll ignore that the Liberals are now doing the exact thing Labor has been roundly critizied for i.e annoucing policy with no detail (ME2?)

So now your just "better economic managers" than Swan?
I thought the mantra was "better economic managers" full stop Cheesy

Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:35pm

This thread is giving everyone good reasons not to vote for Abbott or Gillard   Grin

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:57pm

Quote:

It would be nice if it were true. The total tax burden on the Australian public as a percentage of GDP increased to record levels under Howard. By the end of his reign the Liberals were about handouts and vote buying, not tax cuts.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:00pm

Its all just the usual popularist dribble

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:07pm

Tax cuts = interest rate increases.
Now..I know no neo con cheer squad member raised an eyebrow while interest rates increased steadily over the last 2 terms of Howards govt everytime he handed out pre election middle class welfare but common sense tells all of us tax cuts are stupid in the long term.
Popularists are idiots  Cheesy

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

progressiveslol
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:38pm

adelcrow wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:07pm:
Now..I know no neo con cheer squad member raised an eyebrow while interest rates increased steadily over the last 2 terms of Howards govt everytime he handed out pre election middle class welfare but common sense tells all of us tax cuts are stupid in the long term.
Popularists are idiots  Cheesy

So we should be giving the likes of you, more of our money and being enslaved for you.

No thanks. You can stick with your gang-green party.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:53pm by progressiveslol »  

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:50pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 5:57pm:
Quote:

It would be nice if it were true. The total tax burden on the Australian public as a percentage of GDP increased to record levels under Howard. By the end of his reign the Liberals were about handouts and vote buying, not tax cuts.

I'd like to see those numbers freediver

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:54pm

Have your tax cuts and interest rate increases that always follow them..I have no debt and enjoy safe hassle free interest rate increases on my savings.
I just hope the neo cons are not going to squeal like stuck pigs when interest rates increase along with Abbotts (and copycat Julia's) new round of generous middle class welfare
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 7:15pm

adelcrow wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:07pm:
Popularists are idiots  Cheesy

Perhaps you did not notice, but those were not ax cuts, they were handouts.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Wattle Grove
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 8:00pm

What is Abbott going to give penisoners same thing as howard gave them in 12 years SFA

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print