Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tax Cuts For Low And Middle Income Earners. (Read 2974 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

Tax Cuts For Low And Middle Income Earners.
Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:06pm

Low and middle-income families and singles pensioners and other welfare recipients are the biggest winners from the carbon price while those on generous incomes will bear almost the full brunt with next-to-no assistance.   Smiley

Unveiled at midday today by the Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, a package of $15 billion in tax cuts and increased benefits mean 4 million households will receive more in compensation that the carbon tax will add to their cost of living.   Smiley

A further 2 million households will be no worse off by being fully compensated, while another 2 million will receive something.   Smiley

The Prime Minister Julia Gillard chaired today's meeting of the Multi-Party Climate Change Committee with, from left, Ross Garnaut, Wayne Swan, Greg Combet and Mark Dreyfus.

Of the nation's 8.8 million households, only 700,000 receive nothing.

The scheme will operate as a fixed carbon price of $23 from July 1 next year, and move to a full emissions trading scheme on July 1, 2015, when the market will set the carbon price.

It excludes petrol and is not revenue neutral as first forecast. It will cost the budget $4.2 billion over four years and will erode the forecast $3.5 billion return to surplus in 2012-13 by $530 million

The increases to the cost of living, estimated to be 0.7 per cent, will result from the nation's top 500 polluters passing on their costs of having to pay for the carbon dioxide they emit.

Figures released today show the average hits to households will be $9.90 a week, or $515 a year, whereas average assistance will be $10.10 a week, or $525 a year.

Electricity will rise by $3.30 a week, gas by $1.50 a week and food bills by an average 0.80c a week.

The tax cuts, worth $8 billion, will result in 60 per cent of earners receiving an annual tax cut of at least $300, or about $6 a week.

The tax cuts will operate by lifting the tax-free threshold from $600 to $18,200 on July 1, 2012, and to $19,400 in 2015.

This will remove 1 million people from the tax system and be worth $600 a year from somebody on $20,000, and $303 for somebody on $65,000.

On incomes over $80,000 the tax cuts disappears to $3 a year, or 6c a week.

For example, a single earning $85,000 will receive $3 a year from the tax cuts but face a $463 increase in the cost of living.

Family circumstances vary widely depending on the number of children, whether thee are one or two salary earners, how much each earns and total income earned.

For example, couples on dual incomes of up to $95,000 a year with one child aged five and another 12, will be better off. The family will receive $759 a year in assistance – combined tax cuts ad family benefit supplements - whereas the impact of the carbon price will be $615.

The same couple earning $100,000 will be fully compensated.

Families on combined incomes of up to $200,000 can still receive compensation if one of the income earners earns less than $80,000 and qualifies for the tax cut.

However, a family on $180,000 combined or more, and not eligible for either tax cuts or family benefits, receives only between $3 and $6 a year and faces an average increase in the cost of living of around $1000.

Pensions, family tax payments, the dole, student allowances and other benefits will increase by 1.7 percent a year.   Smiley

The first-full year benefit will be paid as a lump sum in May and June next year, before the carbon price starts and then in fortnightly instalments from 2013 onwards..

This will amount to $338 for a single pensioner, $110 per child for a family which receives Family Tax Benefit Part A, $69 for a family which receives benefit Part B

As promised, fuel used by motorists, small business vehicles and tradespeople will be exempt for good.

So too, will be diesel and other transport fuels used in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry.

Other heavy on-road transport – vehicles weighing over 4.5 tones - will not be exempt and will pay a effective carbon tax on fuel by having the reductions in excise it currently receives being clawed back. But this clawback will not start until July 1, 2014, providing temporary reprieve for truckies.

Off-road heavy vehicles, predominantly those used in the mining sector, will have their excise clawed back by about 6c a litre when the scheme starts on July 1, 2012.

Excise on aviation fuels will be increased to reflect the impact of a carbon price. These increases will add $930 million to aviation fuel bills over the first four years of the scheme. The clawback of excise reductions will save another $1.9 billion, meaning the total savings on fuel will be $2.8 billion.

This will help offset the cost to the budget which will still be a hit of $4.3 billion over four years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment/15-billion-in-tax-cuts-for-low-and-middle-income-earners-under-carbon-deal-20110710-1h8in.html#ixzz1RgfVu0hm

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Tax Cuts For Low And Middle Income Earners.
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:09pm

Looks like Labor and the Australian Greens, with the independents have kicked a goal.  Well done.   Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:13pm

I don't get why those on higher incomes recieve no benefit. If they increase the tax free threshhold surely everyone would pay less tax?

It sounds like this is actually a net tax cut, which is good, though there are plenty of handouts mixed in so it is hard to tell.

It's a shame they excluded petrol. It doesn't really help anyone to put all the pressure on the electricity sector and truckies. We are missing opportunities to easily reduce emissions.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:13pm

Do you have a job Imcrook?

Hence, do you pay ANY tax at all in the first place?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:22pm

I do not answer personal questions, sorry Andrei.  Those on higher incomes, do not need compensation.   Smiley

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:22pm

Quote:
I do not answer personal questions, sorry Andrei.  Those on higher incomes, do not need compensation.   Smiley  

I budget. I suggest you do the same.
You need no more than I do.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:28pm

Its not the same for the unemployed, the low income workers.  They don't have anywhere near the same saving capacity, as those on higher incomes, for them its very hard to save and budget.   Sad

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:43pm

Quote:
Its not the same for the unemployed  

How does tax cuts help this lot?
They pay bugger all in the first place....

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:47pm

Pensions, family tax payments, the dole, student allowances and other benefits will increase by 1.7 percent a year.   Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:48pm

Quote:
Its not the same for the unemployed, the low income workers.  They don't have anywhere near the same saving capacity, as those on higher incomes, for them its very hard to save and budget.   Sad  

Are you suggesting that the unemployed should be given tax cuts now lol ??

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:50pm

If you're going to have a Carbon Tax it's probably best to do it properly and skip the compensation component entirely (okay, perhaps compensate pensioners).

I dunno, but the whole compensation thing seems to defeat the purpose of having the tax in the first place.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:51pm

I have been saying for years that the unemployed ( And still do )  should have an immediate increase in their benefits.   Wink

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 7:09pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:50pm:
If you're going to have a Carbon Tax it's probably best to do it properly and skip the compensation component entirely (okay, perhaps compensate pensioners).

I dunno, but the whole compensation thing seems to defeat the purpose of having the tax in the first place.

In an ideal world in an ideal socio-econo-political climate, this would be how things would go...

Unfortunately, harsh real-world realities dictate that compensation is part and parcel of overcoming the misleading scare campaigns of those with vested interests in politicising and trashing the Gillard Govt's worthwhile efforts to take Carbon Pricing steps in long-overdue transition arrangements...

If only...there was responsible bi-partisan support for this, eh!?

As for forcing change, the Govt's efforts need to be directed at 'incentivising' (in this case, taxing) those entities are the biggest high-carbon pollution culprits and therefore those entities who are most in a position to make significant changes in the way they do things...

It's not like consumers are in a position to readily identify and boycott many of the 500-odd biggest polluters!?

BTW, does anyone have a link that shows which polluters are on the list?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 7:16pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:50pm:

The relative price changes. Most things will become more affordable. Some things will become a lot less affordable. People could buy the same things in the same quantities, but they won't. Money talks.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 7:19pm

Quote:
Low and middle-income families and singles pensioners and other welfare recipients are the biggest winners from the carbon price while those on generous incomes will bear almost the full brunt with next-to-no assistance.   Smiley

[...]

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment/15-billion-in-tax-cuts-for-low-and-middle-income-earners-under-carbon-deal-20110710-1h8in.html#ixzz1RgfVu0hm

But when Howard was doing this (handing out dosh) the ALP said it was vote buying.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print