Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vic Council to 'invest in' finger vein scanners!? (Read 2374 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Vic Council to 'invest in' finger vein scanners!?
Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:30pm

Big Brother is scanning you too!

WTF!?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-08/vein-scanners-to-track-employee-work-hours...

Quote:

Finger scanners to keep tabs on librarians

AM

By Sue Lannin

Updated September 08, 2011 12:03:13

Librarians are used to scanning books, but the librarians themselves may be getting scanned if a local council in suburban Melbourne has its way.

The AM program has revealed that the City of Monash in Melbourne's south-east is planning to introduce vein scanning technology to track employees' work hours.

The council says it is still considering the plan and has made no definite decision yet, but the Australian Services Union says the council has confirmed it is planning to introduce the scanners in its libraries next month.

The union's assistant branch secretary Igor Grattan says members are concerned about the invasion of their privacy.

"They're concerned about where this information is going to be stored, what will happen with the information when they leave council, who owns the information, what's the legal ramifications," he said.

"What about staff who are under 18 years, what about their rights?"

Biometric technology like iris, fingerprint and vein scanning is big in the movies and it is set to come to a workplace near you soon.

Governments and companies already use biometric technology to check the identities of their staff and protect sensitive information, and supermarket giant Woolworths uses fingerprint scanners to clock staff work hours.

The vein scanners are made by Japanese company Hitachi, which has installed tens of thousands of them at ATMs in Japan.

The technology captures the vein patterns in a person's fingers and stores them as a template for future scans.

Victoria's privacy commissioner Helen Versey says she is surprised that a local council would use such technology.

"It sounds surprising that you would need it for a library, but again without knowing the facts of the case I wouldn't like to say definitely whether it would be a breach of the Information Privacy Act or not," Ms Versey said.

"If they're creating a database of their employees' biometrics then that does raise some significant issues in terms of data security."

The council refused to do an interview with AM, saying it was looking at the technology for use in libraries but had not decided to go ahead with it yet.

But Mr Grattan said the union got confirmation from the council that it is planning to install the scanners next month, affecting up to 100 library staff, including casuals.

He said the council had originally intended to introduce the scanners at libraries, aquatic centres and aged care homes.

"At this stage, they've even said it's not going to be used down the depot at this stage so everything they say has got the 'at this stage'," he said.

"It was going to be the leisure centre and they've backed off from that, but I can give you a direct quote, it's recently brought to my attention that council intends to administer this system in the infrastructure services area," he told AM.

Another issue is where the biometric material will be stored and how secure it would be.

Security experts like Stephen Wilson from Lockstep Consulting warned there are risks.

"The risk is that you need a master copy, like a master scan, against which people are compared when they're coming and going. And the security of that master scan is absolutely critical," he said.

"The weakest link in any security system is usually a person - a database administrator holding the keys with access to these master copies is actually in a position of great power and influence and potentially is corruptible."

Mr Wilson says the data is valuable to organised crime.

"Electronic systems are becoming increasingly dependent and increasingly reliant on personal data," he said.

"So any data that I've got that defines somebody in terms of their drivers' licence or their credit card numbers or their home and address, that all adds up to a portfolio of information that is valuable to identity thieves."

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Vic Council to 'invest in' finger vein scanners!?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:33pm

Surely, Pollies on Local Councils have better things to do with ratepayers' $$$ than to implement such draconian technology in libraries of all places!?

Seriously, draconian 'Big Brother' privacy issues aside, how much does something like this cost upfront to implement and then to operate over time!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:36pm

Dunno about the human resources software - but the actutal devices seem to be cheap as: -

http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/28/hitachi-finger-scanner-opens-a-new-vein-in-bi...

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/0659989455588644.JPG0.9555378031952503

Quote:
Misc. Gadgets

Hitachi finger scanner opens a new vein in biometrics

By Marc Perton posted June 28th 2005 5:30AM

We're guessing that someone has been watching a few too many thrillers where the villian has used a spurious technique to fake a fingerprint (invisible ink, a meat cleaver to the hand, etc.). How else to explain Hitachi's vein scanner, a biometric security device that scans the veins in your finger in order to provide secure access to a PC. At $365, this thing is significantly more expensive than most consumer-level fingerprint scanners, so we hope it really works, and that the bloodless finger created via the, er, hack mentioned above, doesn't show up as a positive match.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:42pm

Now, this is more like it - real toys for control freaks: -

http://www.hitachi-ics.co.jp/product/english/about_fv.htm

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:49pm

Equitist wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:33pm:
Surely, Pollies on Local Councils have better things to do with ratepayers' $$$ than to implement such draconian technology in libraries of all places!?

Seriously, draconian 'Big Brother' privacy issues aside, how much does something like this cost upfront to implement and then to operate over time!?

I don't know....Surely it's a part of the job of Local Council Pollies to make sure that the ratepayers aren't being ripped off by staff getting paid for working, while they've actually bunked off to the shops or thhe pub???

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:53pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:49pm:

I don't know....Surely it's a part of the job of Local Council Pollies to make sure that the ratepayers aren't being ripped off by staff getting paid for working, while they've actually bunked off to the shops or thhe pub???

If thats the reaosning, they'd be far more productive at parliament house than the local library.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:59pm

... wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:53pm:

If thats the reaosning, they'd be far more productive at parliament house than the local library.

Exactly!

Moreover, the first persons to submit to biometric scanning and scrutiny ought to be the Councillors and the bureaucrats of the Council - let them be the first to prove that they are putting in the work they're being remunerated for!

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 2:10pm

Equitist wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:59pm:
... wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:53pm:

Exactly!

Moreover, the first persons to submit to biometric scanning and scrutiny ought to be the Councillors and the bureaucrats of the Council - let them be the first to prove that they are putting in the work they're being remunerated for!

Well since the 'work' put in by local councillors consists entirely of overseas junkets fact finding missions, attending swanky events/functions  and finding new ways to rip off ratepayer, I'd say they perform their 'job' with glee.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 3:01pm

EXACTLY, Eq,

I don't know of a Victorian Council thast is NOT in "the red" since the Kennett mergers
They all have CEO's, these days, as WELL as a full time mayor
Council waste is FAR worse than that of state and federal governments - in VICTORIA, at least

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 3:25pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 8th, 2011 at 3:01pm:

EXACTLY, Eq,

I don't know of a Victorian Council thast is NOT in "the red" since the Kennett mergers
They all have CEO's, these days, as WELL as a full time mayor
Council waste is FAR worse than that of state and federal governments - in VICTORIA, at least

Melbourne, the brand, has been given a $240,000 facelift and the result is a big M.

Liberal Lord Mayor Robert Doyle has unveiled a new logo for the city, which will replace the previous M and leaf symbol introduced in the early 1990s.

Cr Doyle said the old logo was "a bit daggy" and Melbourne needed a new design to reflect its cool sophistication on the world stage.

Preliminary research for the new brand cost the council $91,000 and the design itself cost $148,000, Cr Doyle said.

Monash University marketing expert Francis Farrelly described the new logo as "OK''.

"It certainly doesn't jump out at me immediately, it reminds me a little bit of some of the early incarnations of the MTV logo with the big M,'' he said

http://www.theage.com.au/national/melbournes-240000-makeover-20090722-dt0o.html#...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

jazzyb

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 8:29pm

I regularly visit one of the libraries in the City of Monash system. There are 2 staff members working that nighshift. They are always busy with helping people who can't use the internet and helping kids with school projects and all the other services that libraries provide. I think if one of the staff members wandered off to drink cocktails, the other staff member would notice pretty quickly ! It's good that this issue of vein scanning is being debated. Why should someone have to scan a part of their body for no reason, esp in such a context as a library. I've seen a few arguments on this, re I used to work at Woolworths and we had to do it....does this make it a good idea? Will the managers have to do it? I don't think so !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print