Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Bob Brown Windy Farms too Noisy (Read 17566 times)
barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Re: Bob Brown Windy Farms too Noisy
Reply #45 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:13pm

i agree that turbines can often ruin landscapes (especially as they are often located on elevated/undulating surfaces) but theyre not really any uglier, frequently considerably less unattractive, than other forms of infrastructure.

IP Logged

Lobo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #46 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:13pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:09pm:
Wind turbines look a bit sh*t from what I can see.

Then again, if my house is powered by a nuclear plant, a coal plant or a wind turbine - I really couldn't give a toss as long as its nowhere near where I live.
There are bigger things to worry about than this.

Good to see that travel has broadened your mind, andrei.

(We need a 'tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic smilie button.)

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

Lobo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #47 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:17pm

barnaby joe wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:13pm:
i agree that turbines can often ruin landscapes (especially as they are often located on elevated/undulating surfaces) but theyre not really any uglier, frequently considerably less unattractive, than other forms of infrastructure.

Driving south, on the Hume, I quite look forward to seeing them.
Gives me some perspective as to my ETA.

Also the ones on the Fed Hwy.
Smiley

IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #48 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:29pm

Lobo wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 2:57pm:
You have picked a good ID.
Just remove the Ju!
Cheesy

Don't hesitate. I've been calling her liar since she arrived. I figure if someone is going to give me a free kick... well...  Wink

"When our military goes to war it should be for purposes and objectives clearly in Australia’s interests, not merely because the Americans want some company" - Malcolm Fraser (2012 Whitlam Oration)

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #49 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:32pm

20% of all electricity energy supply across all 50 states is provided by nuclear.

Australia has not even considered this option - low cost, low emissions for the future.
Combined with the fact Australia has considerable nuclear raw materials to enrich as well.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:57pm

“There is a problem!” Textbook Wind Turbine Syndrome (Australia)  Wednesday June 22, 2011

I’d like to thank the (Australian) National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) for organising this scientific forum and for inviting affected people to contribute—to tell their story. This is an important step in furthering our knowledge and understanding of an ongoing problem.

Be in no doubt that I am standing here because there is a problem, not because I am a flat earth, climate change denying, technophobic, anti-windfarm, luddite, NIMBY, and that any one of anger, fear, greed, jealousy, or the holy grail of compensation is a contributing factor to the adverse health we are experiencing. Nor am I an anxious, fearmongering, psychosomatic, hypochondriac. Nor disempowered. Neither is my partner. Nor the people I know in my local community who are experiencing adverse health effects since the Waubra Wind Farm commenced operation. A sweeping statement, I know, but I wanted to get the labelling out of the way.

There are several points regarding the proliferation of these labels:
I find it very disappointing that the people who have proposed these theories regarding motivations and causes have not tested their hypotheses by interviewing affected people and conducting psychological or sociological studies. Well not to my knowledge anyway. Whilst these are theories about what has and is occurring, we need robust research, rather than continued hypothesizing. Especially since it is in the context of a sensitive emotionally charged political issue.
It does not promote logical inquiry. These theories propose answers that suit certain agendas, and so have hindered the necessary questioning, probing.
It has contributed to the development of a toxic culture of put-down, ridicule and abuse.
People feel that their experience has been dismissed and they are being negated. It has also caused much distress and hurt for people who are already vulnerable. I just wanted to get that out of the way, so that what you will hear is not framed by preconceptions.

I live in Evansford, with Gunther, my partner. We purposely built our home and studios using sustainable principles and materials, to create an environment we need to fulfil our philosophical bent and to pursue our creative work. We are situated on 6o acres of bushland on a hill on the northern edge of the Waubra Wind Farm, 3.385 kilometres from the nearest cluster of turbines. There are another thirty straddling the valley and hills, to our south, southwest. And the rest of the windfarm beyond that.

We did not object to the Waubra Wind Farm. We thought it would be good for farmers, the local and broader community and the environment. We believed what we had been told. I have had good health all my life (taken an approach of prevention rather than cure, so have been attentive to diet, exercise etc. I have rarely had need to visit a doctor except more recently for the annual tests. Gunther, likewise, has had good health. He has had the same GP for 25 years, so a well documented record over that time.

The Waubra Windfarm commenced operation roll-out in February 2009 on the southern side and was fully operational by late June 2009. In May/June 2009 I woke in the night with a rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest. I had never experienced that before. It occurred several times over the course of the following month. I did not associate it with the wind turbines at that time. In July I visited my General Practitioner (GP), who noted that my blood pressure was elevated, so I was immediately sent to a cardiologist. Over the next three months all the tests were done—electrocardiogram, halter monitor, exercise stress test, and echo-cardiogram.  Results:  heart is in good health and functioning normally.

Some of the symptoms noted are: sleep disruption, headaches, ear and head pressure, tinnitus, muscular/joint aches, pain; body vibration—tingling, fizzy, prickly feeling—hypertension, cognitive impairment, emotional volatility, depression, amongst others. Myself, my partner and at least thirty people that I can confirm, and quite a few that I have heard of, are experiencing similar health issues, commencing around the same time in mid-2009. They live up to over 4 kilometres from the turbines. Not everyone has exactly the same set of symptoms, nor are they experienced with the same intensity.

Mostly, people did not initially associate their health issues with the turbines. It was only through conversations that we began to realise that something odd was going on—so many people experiencing similar health issues, starting around the same time. We heard about the Deans moving out of their home, began looking on the Internet, and found that there were people all over the world living near windfarms experiencing similar problems. We were introduced to the Deans (and here) and the Godfreys who were very badly affected. We began to keep a health journal, in an effort to see what was happening, check on whether this was what was really happening. We initially jotted down health issues and then documented wind direction, weather conditions and most lately have been noting blood pressure.

I don’t experience all of the symptoms, nor all of the time. It depends on the conjunction of turbines operating, weather conditions and wind direction. Most people have noted that the symptoms do not occur when they are away from the area or when the turbines are not operating, but return when they are in the windfarm area and the turbines are operating. Again, people have noted that the symptoms now, in comparison to when they first started, do not diminish as rapidly, and on return, the onset is quicker and intensity has increased (emphasis added).

Many people locally have noted the effect on their cognitive function.  Some say they feel as if their mind is foggy, vague.  Others that their memory has deteriorated. Certainly I feel as if concentration and focus, my ability to find a word, form a sentence, communicate clearly, my ability to plan, execute and multitask has seriously diminished (emphasis added).

Words, communication and my ability to organise and be organised are the tools of my trade. As a freelance cultural worker I have mostly managed multiple projects simultaneously for over twenty five years. Now there are days that I would be lucky and very happy if I could achieve any one of those tasks. I have had to change the way I work, like many people locally. I have to allow much more time to ensure that I meet a deadline, because I cannot reliably predict when I will be able to work efficiently and effectively.

I continue to experience rapid heartbeat, waking me from sleep, or it occurs at my desk or while gardening. It can last for varying amounts of time. Until recently, the symptoms had not occurred when I was away from the wind farm. However in just the last two months I have had the same experience in the city, both times when I was in very close proximity to air conditioning ducting in a shopping centre and a motor room opposite the room I was staying in a hotel—a very low industrial hum that triggered vibration, accelerated heart rate, tightness in the chest.

Over the two years I have noted, I have become more sensitive to noise.  I have difficulty in distinguishing words in conversations when more than one conversation is occurring. Sinusitis and a cough recur frequently, now, and I seem more prone to colds and viruses in general. Most days I feel exhausted, and all that means for your sense of well-being and simple enjoyment of life.

Gunther has similar issues. Dr. Rimas Lubinas, our General Practitioner, stated:
It’s unusual, the manner of presentation of symptoms with regard to the timing of new hypertension, sleep disturbance, muscle pain, aches, cognitive dysfunction, for two individuals. Both individuals noticed reduction in these symptoms when away from windfarm area. These symptoms returned when back in the area.

“If synonymous with other’s experience, it is worth further investigation.”
We know that our experience is synonymous with others, locally, in Australia and across the world. The effects on some people are so severe it has driven them out of their homes. No one abandons their home without good reason. The Deans, Godfreys, Stepnells have moved out because of the huge impact on their health and their lives. It continues to be an emotional, physical and financial burden. Other people should not have to experience what we have.

All we know is that there are serious health problems associated with wind farms and there needs to be a range of independent studies conducted. That is what we have been, and continue to ask for—thorough, independent research.
http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/news/2011/there-is-a-problem-textbook-wind-tu...

Robert Rand (Reply) on June 26th, 2011
Thank you for your descriptions of your symptoms. They are very similar to those I experienced in April at 1700 feet (a bit over 500 meters) from one 1.65 MW wind turbine. During detailed analysis, the symptoms appeared to be unrelated to the A-weighted or C-weighted sound levels. There were significant, repetitive surges of acoustic energy over the entire infrasonic band occurring at the blade pass rate (about 0.7 Hertz). These repetitive, infrasonic pulsations are not created by natural sources such a wind or thunder; they are unique to the wind turbine.

Of the symptoms you listed above, the only ones I did not experience were heart rate changes and headache. The strange skin vibration sensations—fizzy, tingling feelings, along with serious eye strain issues and recurring nausea following the exposure in April—prompted medical consultation. It took several weeks to fully recover. For awhile, I found other low frequency sources (like dryers at the laundromat) unbearable.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:06pm

Green Hell on earth has turned peoples dream retreats into a living hell as they become sick.

How would you like to put up with this cacophonous onslaught non stop day and night ?

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/electricity-nightmares/xzh1xj5#::06f65387-45...

http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/news/2010/hell-on-earth/

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #52 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:42pm

Lobo wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:17pm:

Smiley

i like looking at them too. they're quite the novelty.

problem is the novelty will wear off the more ubiquitous they become and the more we'll just be longing for unspoiled scenic vistas again.

IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #53 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 7:35pm

barnaby joe wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:42pm:
Lobo wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 3:17pm:

Smiley

i like looking at them too. they're quite the novelty.

problem is the novelty will wear off the more ubiquitous they become and the more we'll just be longing for unspoiled scenic vistas again.

Not while we're sitting in our air conditioned homes watching our big screen TVs we won't. There we'll be longing for electricity.

"When our military goes to war it should be for purposes and objectives clearly in Australia’s interests, not merely because the Americans want some company" - Malcolm Fraser (2012 Whitlam Oration)

IP Logged

##########
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 1:44pm

TOP 10 IA STORIES OF 2011

ABC Four Corners and the Sydney Morning Herald have recently both done stories on anti-windfarm front group ‘The Landscape Guardians’  — but neither scratched the surface when compared to the earlier July exposé by Australia’s leading investigative journalist, IA’s Sandi Keane.

#8: THE UGLY LANDSCAPE OF THE GUARDIANS

Environment editor Sandi Keane brilliantly exposes the Tea Party style practices and behaviour of anti-windfarm campaigners and their links to powerful vested interests, including the Liberal Party and the IPA.

Do you have Wind Turbine Syndrome?

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/top-ia-stories-of-2011-the-...

IP Logged

beware
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 2:03pm

Quote:
TOP 10 IA STORIES OF 2011

ABC Four Corners and the Sydney Morning Herald have recently both done stories on anti-windfarm front group ‘The Landscape Guardians’  — but neither scratched the surface when compared to the earlier July exposé by Australia’s leading investigative journalist, IA’s Sandi Keane.

#8: THE UGLY LANDSCAPE OF THE GUARDIANS

Environment editor Sandi Keane brilliantly exposes the Tea Party style practices and behaviour of anti-windfarm campaigners and their links to powerful vested interests, including the Liberal Party and the IPA.

Do you have Wind Turbine Syndrome?

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/top-ia-stories-of-2011-the-...

So if you like to post or send your address to the relevant wind farm builders you too can experience the wonders of this new technology..... or don't you want it in your backyard??????

And I love tea... my favourite refreshment!!! Grin

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 5:09pm

Green
delusionals
browned
off because noisy windy farms have been blown over by people power.

In Prime Minister Bob Brown's
Communist society for Australia
modeled on
Communist Nth Korea
if this sort of thing happened it would be brutally suppressed.

NSW Government offers veto option for residents in proposed wind farm zones
AAP December 23, 2011 12:52PM

PEOPLE living within 2km of proposed wind farms will have the right to veto them, under a NSW Government proposal.

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Brad Hazzard says NSW remains committed to being part of the Federal Government's 20 per cent renewable energy target by 2020, despite proposing what he has described as the world's toughest wind-farm guidelines.

Under the proposal, a company wanting to set up a wind farm in an area where landowner consent has not been given will have to go to an independent regional planning panel if there is community opposition.

"That means 100 per cent of neighbors have to be happy within that 2km zone," Mr Hazzard said.

Mr Hazzard said he hoped the idea would find a balance between residents living near wind turbines and supporters of renewable energy.

"Today I am announcing that the NSW coalition Government is putting out for public discussion some of the toughest wind-farm guidelines in the country, possibly the world," he said.

The Victorian Government this year gave residents within a 2km radius a right of veto over wind turbines.

But Mr Hazzard said the NSW proposal was different to Victoria's and that wind-farm proponents would get a bigger say.

People wishing to write submissions to the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure have until March 14.

Across NSW, there are 17 applications to build wind farms, including 13 that are yet to be shown to the public.

The
NSW Greens
said the proposal would kill off the wind-generation sector in favour of coal seam gas as a solution to the state's future energy needs.

"If this draft plan becomes law, the Government has effectively chosen a destructive coal seam gas future for NSW, over the clean, green and jobs-rich wind-energy sector," Greens planning spokesman David Shoebridge said.

"NSW is abandoning the most cost-effective option for reducing its carbon footprint, which in effect means it is giving the green light for coal seam gas projects across the state."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/nsw-government-offers-veto-o...
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2011 at 5:15pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #57 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 1:05pm

Just when you thought you knew all - about
psycosomatic contitions
developing from being
less than 2km from a wind turbine
- here's the latest on
what a smart meter can do to your quality
of life

Family forced to move after suffering "health problems"

Herald Sun November 01, 2011

A SMART meter health scare has driven residents from their homes amid fears they are being exposed to high levels of electromagnetic radiation.
A young family and another resident have fled the Keilor East street, claiming constant headaches and sleep deprivation is making their lives a misery, but authorities say the controversial devices are safe.
Marc and Maureen Florio, who have been staying with friends since Friday, said they and their four children had suffered side-effects since a neighbour's smart meter was installed three weeks ago.

"It's like an absolute nightmare," Ms Florio said.
"I do not know what we are going to do ... we are smart meter refugees."
Mr Florio said a doctor attributed constant headaches to the meter. He and his eldest son are also sensitive to other emissions.
"We are not after compensation," he said. "We just want it switched off."
Kathi Buzza, who had the meter installed, also wants the device gone.

A spokesman for the Energy Minister said testing so far showed they had complied with standards and emitted weaker electromagnetic emissions than other sources such as baby monitors and mobile phones.
MAXIMUM READINGS AT THE FLORIO HOME
CHILD'S bedroom, 182 (5 precautionary guidelines)
DOWNSTAIRS study, 167 (10 precautionary guidelines)
MASTER bedroom, 130 (5 precautionary)
UPSTAIRS kitchen, 114 (10 precautionary)
UPSTAIRS table tennis area, 101 (10 precautionary)
Source: YSHIELD.  Density measured in microwatts/m2.  Precautionary figure based on guidelines from Building Biology and Ecology Institute, Germany.

RADIO FREQUENCY EMISSIONS
Normal distance from a
smart meter 50

Immediately next to a smart meter 88,000

Standing near an operating
microwave oven 100,000

Wi-fi wireless routers, laptop computers, cyber cafes 100,000-200,000

Mobile phone at head up to 300,000-100,000,000

Source: Silver Spring Networks
Power density measured in microwatts/m2

http://www.news.com.au/smart-meter-shock-forces-family-out/story-fn7x8me2-122618...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Lobo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #58 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 1:27pm

juliar wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 5:06pm:
Green Hell on earth has turned peoples dream retreats into a living hell as they become sick.

How would you like to put up with this cacophonous onslaught non stop day and night ?

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/electricity-nightmares/xzh1xj5#::06f65387-45...

http://www.windturbinesyndrome.com/news/2010/hell-on-earth/

LOL
Take note of the interview with this woman at approx 30sec mark.

All of 50/60m from the turbine and all you can hear is her whining.

Not a sound from the turbine.
Cheesy

IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #59 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 1:36pm

It can't be that bad - they still live there. Those whiners should try living under a flightpath.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print