Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This Is Truly Sad Day For Victoria Mr Baillieu. (Read 1121 times)
imcrookonit
Ex Member

This Is Truly Sad Day For Victoria Mr Baillieu.
Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:32am

CRITICALLY ill Victorian babies are being sent interstate to hospitals for treatment.

The Herald Sun can reveal the number of babies sent to neonatal intensive care units in other states last year was double that of the previous year.   Sad

Ten newborns were taken to hospitals in Adelaide and Canberra.

Doctors and premature baby support groups insist Victorian babies should be treated here, because of the strain on families of having a sick baby interstate.

"We should have the capacity to treat all Victorians in our own state," said Dr Harry Hemley, state president of the Australian Medical Association.

"Hospitals are over capacity in many areas. This is another example of the need to invest in new beds in the public hospital system," he said.

But the State Government defended the practice, saying babies were transferred only because of clinical need.   Sad

The revelation comes a day after the Herald Sun reported that waiting lists would blow out and thousands of elective operations would be slashed.

The Newborn Emergency Transport Service statistics, provided to the Department of Health, show 10 babies were transferred in 2011, five in 2010, four in 2009, and 17 in 2008.

In 2008 the Liberals, then in opposition, criticised the Labor government for failing to pay for enough NICU and maternity beds, saying there was a cots crisis.

A hospital source said nothing had changed: "It's a constant and continuing challenge. The problem is there aren't enough NICU beds in the state."   Angry

Victoria has 78 NICU respiratory support cots.Despite the rise in interstate transfers, three new NICU beds are being made available across the health system this year.

A statement of priorities - an agreement between the State Government and hospitals- shows they will be at the Mercy Hospital for Women, Monash Medical Centre, and the Royal Children's Hospital.

"Our sickest babies deserve the best care and if the Baillieu Government's funding cuts are now hitting them, this is a truly sad day for Victoria," Opposition health spokesman Gavin Jennings said.   Sad

A spokesman for Health Minister David Davis said all baby transfers in the past 12 months were from regional areas, and the decisions were based on clinical need.

He denied there was a shortage of NICU cots.

"Victoria is a net importer of babies, and transfers occur because of critical time factors and clinical appropriateness," he said.

Miracle Babies Foundation founder Melinda Cruz said having a premature or sick baby was traumatic for parents.

She said the emotional toll of having a baby based interstate could have a long-lasting effect on families.

"This is only compounded when there is financial stress, lack of support, lengthy hospital stays, or being transferred long distances," Ms Cruz said.   Sad

The Royal Women's was full this week.

"As a tertiary facility, delivering more than 6500 babies every year, the Women's NICU generally operates close to or at capacity, which is the most efficient use of intensive health resources," a hospital spokeswoman said.

She said the hospital co-operated with other hospitals to manage demand.

vandenbergl@heraldsun.com.au

IP Logged

blackadder
Gold Member

Re: This Is Truly Sad Day For Victoria Mr Baillieu.
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:37am

Do try to keep up crook. Been happening all over OZ for years crook.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:39am

blackadder wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:37am:
Do try to keep up crook. Been happening all over OZ for years crook.

2008   17    lol   Wink

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:41am

I was under the impression the Feds were now in charge of hospitals!!!!.. maybe we are too busy spending time and resources on boat people..

I dont know, but there is only so much money to go round..last I heard nurses were striking for more money.. it all comes out of the same funding barrel you know.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:53am

A spokesman for Health Minister David Davis said all baby transfers in the past 12 months were from regional areas, and the decisions were based on clinical need.

If you live in Wodonga and there is urgent care needed, it is virtually the same distance to Canberra as it is Melbourne.

Canberra has a bed, Melbourne might, which one do you go to?

Our friends would be one of those 17, they asked for Canberra because they had family there so it wouldnt cost them any money.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:02am

I quite like Ted and reckon he is doing a bang up job  running Victoria, give me a moderate Liberal leader over the right wing hardliners or the Labor Party any day of the week.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:06am

cods wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 6:41am:
I was under the impression the Feds were now in charge of hospitals!!!!.. maybe we are too busy spending time and resources on boat people..

I dont know, but there is only so much money to go round..last I heard nurses were striking for more money.. it all comes out of the same funding barrel you know.

You will need to go to the doctor for a dementia test Cods. No the federal government do not run hospitals and why would that be? Because the proposed changes to the system that were put forward in 2007 did not happen because the incoming state gov's like Barnett in WA refused to accept the need to act and rather hold on to the old excuses for state incompetence. Instead Gillard signed a funding agreement that sees the federal government taking on a proportion of funding that the former government refused to take on despite collapsing systems everywhere. Always amazes me how much criticism NSW health cops, i have used it many times and have nothing but praise for them. Seems the model vic system as the lib's like to tell us is one bucket case.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

blackadder
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:10am

Always amazes me how much criticism NSW health cops, i have used it many times and have nothing but praise for them.

Glad the Psychiatric ward was able to accommodate you for a few days.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:17am

blackadder wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:10am:
Always amazes me how much criticism NSW health cops, i have used it many times and have nothing but praise for them.

Glad the Psychiatric ward was able to accommodate you for a few days.

Generally speaking Australia is the best country in the world to get sick in.
Ive come out the other end of a few years of cancer treatment and then the after effects ( all clear now  Smiley )and cant praise the health system here enough.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:32am

RELATED ...

Our hospital waiting list pain will only get worse

January 06, 2012

HOSPITAL waiting lists will soar this year with
the number of operations slashed by thousands
and more than 4800 Victorians joining already blown-out queues.
More than 2100 sick children are among those who will be forced to wait.

The number of elective surgeries being carried out has been slashed under the funding agreements brokered between Health Minister David Davis and the state's hospitals.

Almost 9500 fewer operations are planned for 2011-12 compared to last year despite a growing and ageing population.

Among the worst hit will be patients at the Royal Children's Hospital, where the waiting lists for surgery will more than double despite the opening of the new $1 billion centre - rising from 1700 last year to 3850 by mid-2012.

Concerned doctors warned the waiting list blowouts and surgery cutbacks would leave patients suffering from pain and disability waiting for essential surgery.

"Hospitals should be performing more elective surgery - not less,"
Australian Medical Association Victoria President Dr Harry Hemley said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/hospital-waiting-list-pain-to-get-wor...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:43am

A lot of elective surgery can be done for a few hundred dollars from a persons own pocket.
I wonder what the breakdown of most elective surgery is.
It amazes me how people will spend thousands on their house, car and pets but refuse to spend one cent on their own health. Even if a person does not have private insurance paying for simple elective surgery is not expensive in the scheme of things.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:50am by adelcrow »  

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 9:28am

Quote:
CRITICALLY ill Victorian babies are being sent interstate to hospitals for treatment.

[...]

vandenbergl@heraldsun.com.au

Quote:
Waiting woman miscarries in hospital toilet

THE husband of a pregnant woman who miscarried in a toilet while awaiting assessment at a northern Sydney hospital has likened his wife's treatment to that of a third world country.

Jana Horska attended the Royal North Shore Hospital about 7.15pm (AEST) yesterday in acute pain.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/hospital-like-third-world/story-e6frfkp9-1111114506039

Quote:
Woman miscarries in hospital toilet

Victorian Health Minister David Davis has ordered an immediate investigation after a pregnant woman miscarried in a hospital toilet.

Tracey Lake, 41, was 10 to 12 weeks pregnant when she started to bleed on February 9.

[...]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-17/woman-miscarries-in-hospital-toilet/1946880

Whan oh when Mr Crook will you wake up and realise that if you are an Australian you DON'T matter. All budgets have been snipped in order to assist asylum shoppers and alleged refugees. Do you notice any headlines that scream "ASYLUM SHOPPER RUSHED TO NZ BECAUSE WE'VE BLOWN THE BUDGET ON ASYLUM SHOPPERS"? The short answer is NO.

Be a good altruist and stop worrying about Australians and their general well-being.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 9:44am

Its probably the 50,000 kiwis that move here as economic refugees every year that are soaking up all our money..kinda makes the asylum seeker figures pale in comparison.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:17pm

adelcrow wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 9:44am:
Its probably the 50,000 kiwis that move here as economic refugees every year that are soaking up all our money..kinda makes the asylum seeker figures pale in comparison.

Yeah sure. Do you know any other jokes?

Quote:
NZ 'giant transit lounge' for migrants to Oz

New Zealand is being used as a giant transit lounge by immigrants who come here, gain citizenship and then go to Australia, says United Future leader Peter Dunne.

Mr Dunne issued figures today showing nearly 30 percent of New Zealand migrants to Australia since 2001 were born overseas.

[...]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/291906/NZ-giant-transit-lounge-for-migrants-to-Oz

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print