Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An IMPORTANT message for rural Victoria (Read 3036 times)
buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
An IMPORTANT message for rural Victoria
Feb 2nd, 2012 at 2:56pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:11pm:
State fails to meet fire goal

Melissa Fyfe
January 23, 2012.

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/01/22/2908950/fires_ipad_new-420x0.gif

DOZENS of Victorian suburbs and towns remain overexposed to extreme bushfire risk this season because the Baillieu government failed to meet its targets to reduce fuel loads around the state's most vulnerable communities.

A leaked document has revealed the government's multimillion-dollar planned burning program - designed to burn off bushland to curb damaging fires - achieved only 16 per cent of its target in the densely populated central region, which includes 54 towns and suburbs assessed by the Country Fire Authority as facing extreme risk this summer.

The Department of Sustainability and Environment burnt only 1818 hectares of the 11,400 hectares it was aiming for in the central region, which covers Melbourne and its urban fringes, including the fire-prone Dandenongs and Yarra Ranges. But in the less-populated north-east, where 20 towns are at extreme risk, the department burnt 64,969 hectares, or 150 per cent of its goal

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/02/10/bushfire13_gallery__592x400.j...

Critics say the government is burning large areas of remote bushland to meet a royal commission target, but failing to prioritise the difficult and strategic burns around fire-prone communities.

''When the next really big fire happens, people won't ask 'did you meet the target'?, they will ask 'did you do the burning in key areas that reduce risk to life and property'?'' says La Trobe University zoology professor Mike Clarke.

Both Labor and the Coalition adopted the royal commission's recommendation to burn 5 per cent of public land, or 415,412 hectares annually, by 2013-2014, tripling planned burning across Victoria.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/state-fails-to-meet-fire-goal-20120122-1qc93.h...

Baillieu failing over bushfire safety

Clay Lucas
December 14, 2011.

THE Baillieu government is failing to properly deliver on at least 10 key recommendations made by the royal commission on the 2009 bushfires, a new analysis shows.

The royal commission last year made 67 recommendations that it hoped would prevent Victorians ever again being left defenceless in the face of massive bushfires.

Premier Ted Baillieu and Bushfire Response Minister Peter Ryan - who repeatedly criticised former premier John Brumby for failing to act on every one of the recommendations - pledged while in opposition to implement them ''lock, stock and barrel''.

Now a ''scorecard'' on the royal commission's recommendations shows the government has so far:

■ Failed to put in place a working emergency alert system.

■ Not set up recommended ''safe places'' in half of the state's most bushfire-prone towns.

■ Not completed a register of vulnerable residents in bushfire-prone towns.

■ Proceeded with a far more limited buyback of land in bushfire zones than was promised.

Energy Minister Michael O'Brien also remains silent on the laying underground and the upgrading of power lines - although the government's response is promised by the end of the year.

Other recommendations that have not been completed are: creating enough incident control centres, fixing black spot radio coverage, and making sure firefighting crews have adequate helicopters and planes to fight a large-scale fire - and not enough has been done on arson prevention and on modifying building codes to make new homes safer from bushfires

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieu-failing-over-bushfire-safety-labor-20...

The MESSAGE is - You're ON YOUR OWN
i

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Re: An IMPORTANT message for rural Victoria
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 2:58pm

Surely its the Greens stopping hazzard reduction burning Buzz?
Not anything mentioned above.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:06pm

Dsmithy70 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 2:58pm:
Surely its the Greens stopping hazzard reduction burning Buzz?
Not anything mentioned above.

NO
They DON'T
The Green's policy SUPPORTS controlled burns
SLACK shire councils have a habit of blaming "greenies" or un-named "green groups"

How would the Victorian Greens "stop" the Victorian Government from carrying out controlled burns ?

It's a GREAT BIG FURPHY !

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:09pm

Doesn't matter what say, what you post, if there's more bushfires like the ones a few years ago.
The greens will cop the blame.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 10:30pm

Dsmithy70 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:09pm:
Doesn't matter what say, what you post, if there's more bushfires like the ones a few years ago.
The greens will cop the blame.

Well, we don't see the
Lord Baillieu Medicine Show
accepting any blame

After all, on their EVERY policy BUNGLE and FAILURE ( ... which have reached ENORMOUS numbers) they offer one excuse on EVERY occasion ...

"Yeahbut ... it must be Brumby and Bracks' fault"

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:00pm by buzzanddidj »  

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 10:56pm

Lets hope for the sake of these people common sense prevails and the State Government does something to reduce the fire risk.....WA has seen some fires lately that have not been handled very well.....Lets hope money is not the driving factor for failure!!!

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:01pm

Quote:
An IMPORTANT message for rural Victoria

.......move to NSW..... Grin

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:41pm

philperth2010 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 10:56pm:
Lets hope for the sake of these people common sense prevails and the State Government does something to reduce the fire risk.....WA has seen some fires lately that have not been handled very well.....Lets hope money is not the driving factor for failure!!!

Not ENTIRELY, phil - though budgertry and financial mismanagement are becoming a worrying trend under this government

( ... debt that was starting to fall under the previous government, is now on the rise following the last budget
)

The BIGGEST problem with Ted Baillieu is INEXPERIENCE - and a TOTAL inability to make a decicion on ANYTHING - without running a series of lengthy "reviews"

( ... at 3 months, he had consultants running MORE "reviews" than he had days in office)

Of the new Premier - and the new ministry - only Louise Asher had ever seen inside the cabinet room before ( ... as the only leftover from the Kennett Government)

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:45pm

The Greens have never lived down their root cause of the destructive fires that ripped across Victoria.

For that very reasons I could NEVER vote Greens.

In July 2007 Scott Gentle, the Victorian manager of Timber Communities Australia, who lives in Healesville where two fires were still burning yesterday, gave testimony to a Victorian parliamentary bushfire inquiry so prescient it sends a chill down your spine.

"Living in an area like Healesville, whether because of dumb luck or whatever, we have not experienced a fire … since … about 1963. God help us if we ever do, because it will make Ash Wednesday look like a picnic." God help him, he was right.

Gentle complained of obstruction from green local government authorities of any type of fire mitigation strategies.
He told of green interference at Kinglake - at the epicentre of Saturday's disaster, where at least 147 people died - during a smaller fire there in 2007.

"The contractors were out working on the fire lines. They put in containment lines and cleared off some of the fire trails.
Two weeks later that fire broke out, but unfortunately those trails had been blocked up again [by greens] to turn it back to its natural state.
Instances like that are just too numerous to mention. Governments … have been in too much of a rush to appease green idealism … This thing about locking up forests is just not working."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/green-ideas-must-take-blame-for-deaths-20090211-84mk.html#ixzz1lOfw01LT

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 6:56pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:45pm:
The Greens have never lived down their root cause of the destructive fires that ripped across Victoria.

For that very reasons I could NEVER vote Greens.

In July 2007 Scott Gentle, the Victorian manager of Timber Communities Australia, who lives in Healesville where two fires were still burning yesterday, gave testimony to a Victorian parliamentary bushfire inquiry so prescient it sends a chill down your spine.

"Living in an area like Healesville, whether because of dumb luck or whatever, we have not experienced a fire … since … about 1963. God help us if we ever do, because it will make Ash Wednesday look like a picnic." God help him, he was right.

Gentle complained of obstruction from green local government authorities of any type of fire mitigation strategies.
He told of green interference at Kinglake - at the epicentre of Saturday's disaster, where at least 147 people died - during a smaller fire there in 2007.

"The contractors were out working on the fire lines. They put in containment lines and cleared off some of the fire trails.
Two weeks later that fire broke out, but unfortunately those trails had been blocked up again [by greens] to turn it back to its natural state.
Instances like that are just too numerous to mention. Governments … have been in too much of a rush to appease green idealism … This thing about locking up forests is just not working."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/green-ideas-must-take-blame-for-deaths-20090211-84mk.html#ixzz1lOfw01LT

You confuse the Australian Greens ( ... political party) with self proclaimed ( or otherwise) "greenies"

The Australian Greens ( ... as was noted earlier) have a policy in SUPPORT of controlled burns

It is too easy for local shires and state governments to say
" ... it's all the Greens fault" when things go pear-shaped

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 8:54pm

High winds threaten to spread bushfire into Grampians National Park

February 04, 20127:45PM

FIRE fighters are battling to contain an out of control bushfire in Grampians National Park, where a man was rescued after falling 5m from a cliff.

Water bombers have been hitting the 1ha blaze from the air, and the CFA has warned residents northwest of the park in Brimpaen and Wartook that the area will be clouded with smoke.

The bushfire started at Schmidt Road in Brimpaen at about 2pm and has spread across 53 hectares, encroaching on the national park.

Country Fire Authority operations officer Ian Day said 80 CFA firefighters from the Department of Sustainability and Environment had the blaze under control.

Two planes and a helicopter are also dropping water on the blaze.

''At this stage it looks like we have got the fire stopped prior to it going into the Grampians National Park,'' said Mr Day.

''But we're not expecting good weather"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/fire-reaches-national-park/comments-f...

I guess
Lord Baillieu
will blame the Feds for
not letting him turn it into a cattle station

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:08am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:05am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 11:31pm:
Age/Nielsen poll

Michelle Grattan
February 6, 2012

In Victoria, Labor's fortunes have dramatically turned around since December - it leads 55-45 per cent on a two-party vote.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/lifeline-for-besieged-gillard-20120205-1qzvo.h...i

As predicted ...

With it's "bender" over, Victoria eventually comes to - with a MASSIVE hangover - rubbing it's eyes, scratching it's head - and groaning ...

"WHAT THE F**K was I THINKING !"

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 7:05am

Fire at Blampied

24 February, 2012 3:14PM AEDT

A grassfire approximately 60 hectares in size is out of control, currently creating spot-fires approximately up to 1.5 Kms ahead. Communities affected include: Mount Prospect, Sailors Falls, Eganstown, Sailors Hill, Musk Vale, Blampied.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/02/24/3438983.htm

Threat eases as forest blaze near Daylesford contained

Georgia Wilkins
February 24, 2012 - 5:06PM

A fast-moving grass and forest fire that was threatening homes near Daylesford has been brought under control.

The fire has been contained and is no longer threatening homes, a CFA spokesman said.

The blaze burnt through 37 hectares of grassland and blue gum plantations at the edge of the Wombat State Forest, south-west of Daylesford. One shed was destroyed.

Firefighters remain at the scene blacking out the fire.

Residents in Telegraph, Hurns and Sucklings roads in Blampied have been advised that fire and smoke may be visible in the area for some time and to stay off the roads until the fire is extinguished.

A CFA spokesman said 50 fire trucks and four aircraft were involved in fighting the fire that raged out of control for three hours.

It was originally thought to have been 60 hectares in size and was feared to reach homes in six towns surrounding the Wombat State Forest.

Residents were sent emergency text messages and warning signals were broadcast on radio after the blaze began about 1.30pm.

Parts of the Midland Highway were closed but have since been reopened.

Meanwhile, a total fire ban has been declared for tomorrow in three districts - central, including Melbourne and Geelong; South-west; and Wimmera.

Aerial firefighters are on standby in the state’s south-west ahead of this weekend's ncreased fire risk.

The weather bureau has predicted high-than-normal temperatures and northerly winds across the state for tomorrow and Sunday.

CFA state duty officer Craig Brownlie said all Victorians should be ready for above-average temperatures and high winds, especially those in the south of the state.

"The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast temperatures in the mid to high 30s for most of the state which creates a significant risk," he said in a statement. 

"High winds tomorrow morning will also further increase the risk, particularly in the south-west of the state where we have aircraft and resources ready to be deployed."

"There is the possibility of a TFB [total fire ban] being declared for some areas tomorrow and people need to be aware of how this affects them," Mr Brownlie said.

"People travelling around the state, camping and enjoying the summer weather need to take extra care. People need to have a plan about what to do if a fire breaks out and need to be aware of the local conditions," Mr Brownlie said.

A spokesman for the Bureau of Meteorology said temperatures would climb 10 to 12 degrees above the monthly average throughout the state tomorrow, the highest expected in Horsham, where a top of 39 is expected.

He said the north of the state would reach the high 30s today and again on Saturday and Sunday, with southern areas reaching mid 30s.

Fresher northerly winds posed an increased risk of fire for these areas.

"Today winds are fairly light, but over the next two days the northerly will be fresher, which increases fire danger," he said.

The heat spell is expected to end on Monday, with the built-up humidity bringing rain and thunderstorms

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/threat-eases-as-forest-blaze-near-d...

"Residents were sent emergency text messages"

REALLY ?

Where was MINE ?
Where was my PARTNERS ?
Where were my two closest NEIGHBOURS "emergency text messages" ?

... on the ONE, the ONLY thing, I am ENTIRELY dependent of - and in the HANDS of - the Baillieu Government
i

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 7:27am

buzzanddidj wrote on Feb 26th, 2012 at 7:05am:
Fire at Blampied

24 February, 2012 3:14PM AEDT

A grassfire approximately 60 hectares in size is out of control, currently creating spot-fires approximately up to 1.5 Kms ahead. Communities affected include: Mount Prospect, Sailors Falls, Eganstown, Sailors Hill, Musk Vale, Blampied.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/02/24/3438983.htm

Threat eases as forest blaze near Daylesford contained

Georgia Wilkins
February 24, 2012 - 5:06PM

A fast-moving grass and forest fire that was threatening homes near Daylesford has been brought under control.

The fire has been contained and is no longer threatening homes, a CFA spokesman said.

The blaze burnt through 37 hectares of grassland and blue gum plantations at the edge of the Wombat State Forest, south-west of Daylesford. One shed was destroyed.

Firefighters remain at the scene blacking out the fire.

Residents in Telegraph, Hurns and Sucklings roads in Blampied have been advised that fire and smoke may be visible in the area for some time and to stay off the roads until the fire is extinguished.

A CFA spokesman said 50 fire trucks and four aircraft were involved in fighting the fire that raged out of control for three hours.

It was originally thought to have been 60 hectares in size and was feared to reach homes in six towns surrounding the Wombat State Forest.

Residents were sent emergency text messages and warning signals were broadcast on radio after the blaze began about 1.30pm.

Parts of the Midland Highway were closed but have since been reopened.

Meanwhile, a total fire ban has been declared for tomorrow in three districts - central, including Melbourne and Geelong; South-west; and Wimmera.

Aerial firefighters are on standby in the state’s south-west ahead of this weekend's ncreased fire risk.

The weather bureau has predicted high-than-normal temperatures and northerly winds across the state for tomorrow and Sunday.

CFA state duty officer Craig Brownlie said all Victorians should be ready for above-average temperatures and high winds, especially those in the south of the state.

"The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast temperatures in the mid to high 30s for most of the state which creates a significant risk," he said in a statement. 

"High winds tomorrow morning will also further increase the risk, particularly in the south-west of the state where we have aircraft and resources ready to be deployed."

"There is the possibility of a TFB [total fire ban] being declared for some areas tomorrow and people need to be aware of how this affects them," Mr Brownlie said.

"People travelling around the state, camping and enjoying the summer weather need to take extra care. People need to have a plan about what to do if a fire breaks out and need to be aware of the local conditions," Mr Brownlie said.

A spokesman for the Bureau of Meteorology said temperatures would climb 10 to 12 degrees above the monthly average throughout the state tomorrow, the highest expected in Horsham, where a top of 39 is expected.

He said the north of the state would reach the high 30s today and again on Saturday and Sunday, with southern areas reaching mid 30s.

Fresher northerly winds posed an increased risk of fire for these areas.

"Today winds are fairly light, but over the next two days the northerly will be fresher, which increases fire danger," he said.

The heat spell is expected to end on Monday, with the built-up humidity bringing rain and thunderstorms

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/threat-eases-as-forest-blaze-near-d...

"Residents were sent emergency text messages"

REALLY ?

Where was MINE ?
Where was my PARTNERS ?
Where were my two closest NEIGHBOURS "emergency text messages" ?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4BcaYy3o3dU/TTaAETL2ExI/AAAAAAAAAHU/cBg6E3c4iys/failure%5B...

... on the ONE, the ONLY thing, I am ENTIRELY dependent of - and in the HANDS of - the Baillieu Government
i

YOU BEST check with your Telco buzz  Wink

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 11:55am

Just make everyone build Straw Bales Houses - they're 80% more fire-proof ...let alone cheaper to build by 60%.
Far better than a Double-Brick Veneer house too Wink
Not bad for something invented by Nebraska Farmers.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print