Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The capricious nature of muslims (Read 12620 times)
abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Re: The capricious nature of muslims
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:41pm

... wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 4:28pm:
university degrees in arabic?  Really?

Given that Arabic is one of the most pristinely preserved ancient languages, it's quite obvious why it is of interest for study by various universities around the world.

In fact other languages like Hebrew, Aramaic etc. which are required for many ancient texts are not even fully understandable without a strong knowledge of Arabic.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:45pm

falah wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 4:25pm:
Of all the tranlsaters you mentioned, non have Arabic as their first language, none have university degrees in Arabic. Only Pickthall has English as his first language.

And why is that?
Because, as Charley don't surf, Arabs don't translate the Koran.
The great golden age of Arab translation of ancient texts in the High Middle Ages was done by people like the translators listed: convert (mainly from Christianity and Judaism) non-Arabs who were unhindered by the self-conceit of Arabs about their language and especially about the absolute divinity of the Koran.

Practically nothing is translated into Arabic, compared to what is translated into even the smallest of European languages.

Arabic studies is in effect koranic studies, with a bit of sufi poetry and the 1001 Nights thrown in, if you are lucky. Arabic is useless unless you want to learn the Koran and read koranic commentaries. There is nothing else in Arabic worth learning. And the value of that (Koranic studies) is doubtful on the scale it is done in Arabic countries. An Egyptian university degree is worthless, even in Egypt.

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #17 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:49pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:11pm:
bobbythefap1 wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 6:06pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:48pm:

Looks like gender studies and surf science have some competition for the title of "worlds most useless qualification".

What a stupid thing to say, Wesley. A degree in Arabic is hardly worthless. Neither is a degree in gender studies.

Just because they don't interest you, doesn't make them irrelevant.
Boy-Penis, Girl-Vagina. Congratulations you now have a PhD

That's sex not gender. Perhaps you need to return to high school.
Still about as simple as that.. Dark skin - Black, White Skin - White etc..

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:53pm

You're a bit of an idiot, aren't you?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #19 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:14pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:11pm:
bobbythefap1 wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 6:06pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 5:48pm:

Looks like gender studies and surf science have some competition for the title of "worlds most useless qualification".

What a stupid thing to say, Wesley. A degree in Arabic is hardly worthless. Neither is a degree in gender studies.

Just because they don't interest you, doesn't make them irrelevant.
Boy-Penis, Girl-Vagina. Congratulations you now have a PhD

That's sex not gender. Perhaps you need to return to high school.

Perhaps you do too.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:17pm

abu_rashid wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:41pm:

Given that Arabic is one of the most pristinely preserved ancient languages, it's quite obvious why it is of interest for study by various universities around the world.

In fact other languages like Hebrew, Aramaic etc. which are required for many ancient texts are not even fully understandable without a strong knowledge of Arabic.

Oh I undersatnd the value of languages, but not as a degree in themselves.  Knwoing arabic coudl be handy as a unit or 2, as part of something greater, but theres no need to fluff out a night-school course into more than it needs to be.

IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:45pm

Soren wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 9:45pm:
And why is that?

Truthful as ever. The Qur'an was translated into other languages since the dawn of Islam. It wasn't an area of focus though, as most people adopted Arabic as their language.

Practically nothing is translated into Arabic, compared to what is translated into even the smallest of European languages.

Given that most of their university books are translations of English university texts, I'd have to say again.. your pants are clearly on fire here.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

abu_rashid
Gold Member

Aussie Muslim

Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:48pm

... wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:17pm:
Oh I undersatnd the value of languages, but not as a degree in themselves.  Knwoing arabic coudl be handy as a unit or 2, as part of something greater, but theres no need to fluff out a night-school course into more than it needs to be. 

Arabic language is a science in itself.

abu_rashid  
IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:06pm

abu_rashid wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:48pm:

That could be said of every language.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:07pm

abu_rashid wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:48pm:

It's as close a thing to science as arabs have given us, granted.  but no, by western standards it's not a science in itself.

IP Logged

Avram Horowitz
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #25 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:26pm

arabic is difficult language to understand,, you know i has been teached arabic too and so is make lfe hard at first,,

You know that English is not easy to learn too

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:51pm

back to the topic ...........

Bukhari:V1B1N6 “Just issue orders to kill every Jew in the country.”

Bukhari:V4B52N220 "Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been made victorious with terror.'"

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:45pm

abu_rashid wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:45pm:
And why is that?

Truthful as ever. The Qur'an was translated into other languages since the dawn of Islam. It wasn't an area of focus though, as most people adopted Arabic as their language.

Given that most of their university books are translations of English university texts, I'd have to say again.. your pants are clearly on fire here.

Soooo..... how many Arab do you know of who have  learned a Western language and translated the Koran into that western language?

Re university books - you damn the Arabs with faint praise: they can't even write their own university text book. After all that golden Age of Flowering Learning and Openness to new Ideas and so forth. Bollocks.

ALL the classics of Arabic literature are translated into a dozen western languages. How many of the classics of western literature are translated into Arabic AND read by Arabs? Two. Or three. And not just because most Arabic speakers are STILL illiterate.
Islam is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Arabs (and Malaysians and Pakis and Indonesian). It made opening their minds impossible without apostasy.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 9:26pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:51pm:
back to the topic ...........

Bukhari:V1B1N6 “Just issue orders to kill every Jew in the country.”

Bukhari:V4B52N220 "Allah's Apostle said, 'I have been made victorious with terror.'"

Your referencing is incorrect.

Anyway I found the the quote, and Bukhari says it was not said by Prophet Muhammed, God's peace and blessing upon him. The quote was not even said by a Muslim. It was said by Christians.

It was the Christian advisors to Christian Byzantine Emperor, Heraclius, and his Christian priests who said "kill all the Jews".

In fact the Christians said:"Just Issue orders to kill every Jew present in the country."

The context of this is that the during the time of Prophet Muhammed, the Byzantine Emperor had dream about the circumcised people conquering his empire:

"...while (Emperor) Heraclius was visiting Jerusalem, he got up in the morning with a sad mood. Some of his priests asked him why he was in that mood? Heraclius was a foreteller and an astrologer. He replied, "At night when I looked at the stars, I saw that the leader of those who practice circumcision had appeared (become the conqueror). Who are they who practice circumcision?" The people replied, "Except the Jews nobody practices circumcision, so you should not be afraid of them (Jews). Just Issue orders to kill every Jew present in the country."...

Book #1, Hadith #6

As for the hadeeth mentioning "terror" it is a reference to the terror that God put in men's hearts.

I have the book 'The Authentic of the Bukhari' in front of me. Bukhari says that the "terror" is a reference to the verse in the Quran:

Quote:
..."We (God) shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they joined others in worship with God, for which He had sent no authority (to do so); their abode will be the Fire (of Hell) and how evil is the abode of the wrongdoers (in Hell)"
[The Family of Imran (Jesus' grandfather), v.151]

Narrated Abu Huraira: God's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror (cast in the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand." Abu Huraira added: God's Apostle has left the world and now you, people, are bringing out those treasures (i.e. the Prophet did not benefit by them).

Now explain this:

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Avram Horowitz
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 9:55pm

Lie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print