Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Supplying Addicts and it's social effects. (Read 6552 times)
miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Supplying Addicts and it's social effects.
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 7:46pm

Hey Two Wheeler

I think we will always have prohibition in some form.

At what age can people indulge in drugs, if its 18 we would still have a prohibition
Also I am sure some one will be pushing some drugs that are so "out there" and dangerous they would have to be banned.

I still say prohibition worked for me BTW

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 7:48pm

Homo Sapiens, the animal, has a pleasure-circuit hard-wired into its cranium. It's a carry-over from its more primitive ancestors. To deny that this circuit exists, is to deny the realities of history and today's world.

What has changed in the last few millennia is the trading of knowledge regarding stimulants and substances that excite this circuit. This occurred right alongside the developing trade and exploitation of spices, precious metals and gems, fabrics, etc.

The demand for such substances can never really be eradicated - human nature will always find a way. Prohibition simply will not work. Witness tobacco and alcohol.

Taking the money out of the drug trade is the only way to curb it.

Decriminalize the personal use and production of marijuana and the bottom will drop out of the drug market, with the exception of the synthetic drugs - which should remain illegal in all its forms.

Addicts should be treated, they're a dying breed anyway.

There's already talk of raising the legal drinking age to 21, which I agree with, so the same rules could apply to pot smoking.

Consider the social implications of decriminalizing marijuana while raising the penalties for synthetic drugs.

And to forestall the howls of objection, first consider the costs of alcohol and tobacco when compared to marijuana.

My two bobs worth.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:27pm

I  totally agree with you LE .. I wonder when the penny will drop?

UNWORTHY   Smiley  a rather WORTHY  1ST post IMO. ... and I commend you for putting the case so succinctly.  I have long argued the same .  Smiley

LE..? you say this is hard-wired .. and I would agree... ..also though ..it isn't just about 'pleasure' per se.

I mean that indeed the brain does reflect the entirety of the relationship between humans and the earth..
Did you know? 
the human brain has many 'receptors' which interface with our environment,  and it possesses a 'cannabinoid' ... (err spelling?)
receptor... YEP...  our brain actually has a connection for this ... so 
??

LEGALISE IT...
it IS the only way that we,  as a society,  can move forward in dealing with this whole fiasco..
which IS all about lots of money to crims, and stuff our young and vulnerable citizens.  Sad Angry
..makes me sad and angry this sh8t is STILL happening. Angry

live every day

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:38pm

legalising dope is one thing but supplying addicts is another entirely...although I'm against them both. 

Leglisign weed because the gov will tax it, and impose stricter penalties for growers (It then becomes tax evasion)
Supplying addicts because bugger em - I ain't paying for them to get high.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 9:57pm

now now Wes .. you need to think more clearly about this issue/// Wink Grin Grin Grin

just 'cos you never had the 'chance'  Roll Eyes.. is no reason to begrudge necessary help to fellow humans.

It is SO OBVIOUS that the current status quo is an utter failure to citizens.. that I wonder just what it will take for some positive action.

THE WELL-BEING OF CITIZENS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT ENOUGH INCENTIVE TO REVISE PUBLIC POLICY.!!

PERHAPS

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2013 at 9:59pm

ER  PERHAPS 

perhaps...removing the PROFIT  .. IS  ..the only answer.!??

Cheesy Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked

wtf?? who would've thunk it eh?

live every day

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 6:57pm

na... wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:38pm:

legalising dope is one thing but supplying addicts is another entirely...although I'm against them both. 

Leglisign weed because the gov will tax it, and impose stricter penalties for growers (It then becomes tax evasion)
Supplying addicts because bugger em - I ain't paying for them to get high. 

You're not listening, are you?

No-one is talking about legalising marijuana, just de-criminalizing it's use and production. Just like home-brewers get to do with home brew kits.

2-3 plants per ADULT members of a household - no resale. Personal use only!

Who wants to see the tobacco companies involved? Not me! They can stick their packets, filters, papers and associated chemistry straight up their affiliated jacksies. They'v already proved that they have no conscience.

Tobacco is harder to process than marijuana - fact. Marijuana is easier to grow than tobacco - fact.

Water has now become an asset. Am I now to be penalised because I have the facilities, knowledge and capacity to filter, store and utilise what is a free service - rainfall?

Who would dis-empower me?

Weeds, like rainfall, are available to all those who would utilise such blessings to their ultimate utility.  Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 7:32pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 6:57pm:
No-one is talking about legalising marijuana, just de-criminalizing it's use and production. Just like home-brewers get to do with home brew kits.

Well that's fine, but I just don't trust teh gov not to exploit it for their own gain. 

The model I'm thinking of is that of tobacco - a supposedly 'legal' plant - so long as you don't get any big ideas about managing your own habit by growing your own.  Teh gov doesn't take kindly to being deprived of it's cut.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:35pm

... wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 7:32pm:
Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 6:57pm:

Well that's fine, but I just don't trust teh gov not to exploit it for their own gain. 

The model I'm thinking of is that of tobacco - a supposedly 'legal' plant - so long as you don't get any big ideas about managing your own habit by growing your own.  Teh gov doesn't take kindly to being deprived of it's cut.

Ahhh! Here's where a little research can go a long way. Tobacco is a lot harder to grow, harvest, store and cure for market than the old wacky tobacky. Not to mention that the Gov. has its fingers in the pie as far as royalties, taxes and all the rest.

Garden-variety hooter is not hard to grow. Real good hooter is a little more difficult, but that usually hinges on seed availability - not the requirements of the plant to grow.

If the decriminalisation of marijuana was allowed, there'd be no more concentrated plantation growing - the money would drop out of it. If existing laws, similar to alcohol consumption, were adopted, criminal participation in it's production would drop to a negligible degree. Therefore freeing police resources for the pursuit of the trafficking of harder drugs.

Does this compute?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:49pm

Yes LE 
of course it computes..! 

and it has been evident to everybody else... Angry  except for pollies afraid of losing power, the brainwashed, and the vested interests.
some rich cnts are just getting richer ,, at the expense of the cohesion of our entire society.

live every day

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:35pm

I dunno why you're trying to start an argument.  i agree with you mate.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:49pm

... wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 9:35pm:
I dunno why you're trying to start an argument.  i agree with you mate.

No argument intended.

I take your point about the Gov't wanting it's cut - the penalties for chop-chop are outrageous!

If its just a weed, the least you could do is keep it under control.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #27 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 11:00pm

yeah!!

oh .. anyhow 

from  my POV   it is better the govt.. ie  the people (  Roll Eyes
get the taxes than the crims get the cream, and the rest of the profit as well.

Why would you rather crims get rich ?? 
Never could understand THAT ...   Angry

oh  well of course there IS the obvious answer...   Angry

live every day

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 4:36am

miketrees wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:24pm:
I think there would be some legal problems in the future.

If the government was dishing out drugs that caused health problems.

Perhaps we give drugs to all the lawyers first.

I have an open mind on the idea, you can imprison people in a prison or in a dependency.

There is probably no easy right answer.

Some ppl just arent into drugs. Give them heroin and they wont take it. Hard to believe i know but they exist as do non-drinkers and non-gamblers. If the govt was to supply known addicts and have some kind of criteria on it then it could work. However thats not what this thread was about. If drugs were decriminalised then there wouldn't be so much "crime". Someone would have some god stats for their election campaign.

On another note the govt is dishing out drugs that cause health problems. They are also regulating how much drugs a patient can have. This should be regulated by doctors not pollies.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 8:13am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 23rd, 2013 at 4:36am:
miketrees wrote on Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:24pm:
I think there would be some legal problems in the future.

If the government was dishing out drugs that caused health problems.

Perhaps we give drugs to all the lawyers first.

I have an open mind on the idea, you can imprison people in a prison or in a dependency.

There is probably no easy right answer.

Some ppl just arent into drugs. Give them heroin and they wont take it. Hard to believe i know but they exist as do non-drinkers and non-gamblers. If the govt was to supply known addicts and have some kind of criteria on it then it could work. However thats not what this thread was about. If drugs were decriminalised then there wouldn't be so much "crime". Someone would have some god stats for their election campaign.

On another note the govt is dishing out drugs that cause health problems. They are also regulating how much drugs a patient can have. This should be regulated by doctors not pollies.

SOB

http://spotofborg.com/files/persecution5.jpg

yes, some drugs being supplied by the medical profession are damaging.
Overall the medical sector is beneficial.

An idea of supplying addict with drugs is not new.
It is not to hand out smack to anyone who asks.
Just to those who are already in trouble.
It cuts off the regular customers from criminals.
It may benefit the addicts, it shoud benefit society.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print