Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Katter: tax breaks for footballers! (Read 1944 times)
longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Katter: tax breaks for footballers!
Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:55am

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/16451689/katter-wants-tax-breaks-for-footy-stars/

Quote:
Maverick politician Bob Katter and his Australia Party are campaigning for a Senate seat promising to give tax breaks to highly-paid footballers because of the enjoyment they bring their fans.

The Herald Sun says AFL and NRL stars would be given tax breaks worth thousands of dollars on their rich salaries.

Mr Katter, whose party is tipped to win a Victorian Senate seat, says AFL and NRL players deserve special tax deals to compensate them because their earnings plunge when they retire, often when they are still in their 20s.

"These blokes get paid huge money but their life at the top is very short indeed," he told the Herald Sun.

In the AFL he supports Melbourne because his son-in-law is a one-eyed Demons fan, while in the NRL he backs, not surprisingly, the North Queensland Cowboys.

"There are very few people in Australia who give more joy than our AFL and NRL heroes but they can get injuries in a hurry and their life in the sport comes to an end," he said.

"Most don't have huge opportunities to pursue further work."

Someone explain to me how Katter is expected to win a senate seat if this is the standard of his policies?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Re: Katter: tax breaks for footballers!
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:01am

I watched a clip on 60 minutes last sunday night - verdict, 'he's as silly as a duck' but the average person likes him because he listens to them. Juliar could take a few lessons from the wily Bob Katter.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:06am

red baron wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:01am:
I watched a clip on 60 minutes last sunday night - verdict, 'he's as silly as a duck' but the average person likes him because he listens to them. Juliar could take a few lessons from the wily Bob Katter.

'listens to them' is a skill perhaps, but understanding them or having the slightest clue what to do with their problems is another.

he is a drongo.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:21am

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:55am:
Mr Katter, whose party is tipped to win a Victorian Senate seat, says AFL and NRL players deserve special tax deals to compensate them because their earnings plunge when they retire, often when they are still in their 20s.

They gave their youth for footy and then they're out on their arse at 30 - if they're lucky.  But forget all the hard work that goes into it - let's judge every player on what a handful of superstars make.  Rookie listed players get about $30,000 a year - massive salaries indeed.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:30am

I don't disagree with this policy actually.

In England people go nuts that Wayne Rooney earns $200,000 per week but they also forget that his worklife is 20-32 at best.

It's quite different from a high earner who then has 30 more years of it.

I think there should be allowances made that they retire 30 years before everyone else.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:32am

nobody is forcing them into footy. after all,m they do it for the love of the game and for a handful it turns out to be profitable for them and for most VERY profitable. and nowadays most have a career to go to after. why should their career choice entitle them to different tax breaks?

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:41am

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:32am:
nobody is forcing them into footy. after all,m they do it for the love of the game and for a handful it turns out to be profitable for them and for most VERY profitable. and nowadays most have a career to go to after. why should their career choice entitle them to different tax breaks?

They can always get a job when the footy career over .OR ARE they TO DUMD    Grin Grin Grin Grin

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:44am

FRED. wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:41am:

They can always get a job when the footy career over .OR ARE they TO DUMD    Grin Grin Grin Grin

thats a bit if a cliche. one of Adelaide's orthopaeidic surgeons was and ex Crows player.

and what about people in highly physical activities so that they cannot do it past 40 say. should they also receive tax breaks?

IP Logged

FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:47am

longweekend58 wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:44am:
FRED. wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:41am:

thats a bit if a cliche. one of Adelaide's orthopaeidic surgeons was and ex Crows player.

and what about people in highly physical activities so that they cannot do it past 40 say. should they also receive tax breaks?

Like our current PM   Grin Grin Grin Grin

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

chicken_lipsforme
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Townsville NQ
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:00am

Bob's way off the garden path on this issue I think.

"Another boat, another policy failure from the Howard government"

Julia Gillard
Shadow Health Minister

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:03am

Enjoyment they bring to their fans? Let's tax the Aussie cricket team into oblivion...

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:17am

Because it is unique.
Most careers span up to the age of 60/65 - not 30.

I would have thought that was obvious.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:18am

The Heartless Felon wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:03am:
Enjoyment they bring to their fans? Let's tax the Aussie cricket team into oblivion...

I don't think those particular individuals are being any enjoyment to fans though.

If they get away with anything less than 0-10 against us in the upcoming 2 Ashes tests series they will have done well.

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:21am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:30am:
I don't disagree with this policy actually.

In England people go nuts that Wayne Rooney earns $200,000 per week but they also forget that his worklife is 20-32 at best.

It's quite different from a high earner who then has 30 more years of it.

I think there should be allowances made that they retire 30 years before everyone else.

You are an economic pygmy.  Seriously.

What is stopping a footballer from earning money after they play ?

IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:24am

You see...this is what happens when you give glory and worship to man and not God.  This is right wing Government Atheist personality and celebrity cultism at its worst...

World Wide Working Class Struggle

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print