Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
the threats posed by Islam (Read 44775 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: the threats posed by Islam
Reply #30 - May 19th, 2013 at 4:38pm

Here you go Gandalf, you seem to have missed this one. I am sure it was just an oversight.

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 9:38am:
Quote:
For what its worth, I believe I contribute positively to my local (non muslim) community, through my every day behaviour and activities. I believe that the vast majority of muslims in Australia are doing similar things in their local communities - coexisting, contributing to the local community, and presenting the right face of islam. IMO these local behaviours all over the country feed into the national face of islam, which helps create a mainstream Australian muslim community that is loyal, integrated, pro-peace and anti-extremism.

What about pro-freedom, pro-human rights and pro-democracy? Or is that too much to ask from a Muslim?

BTW, how many faces does Islam have, and how do you tell which is the right one?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #31 - May 19th, 2013 at 4:51pm

The Parrot has spoken - and spewed out his hatred and vitriol - his racist dogma and deflections

....his insecurities and childhood neuroses

he climbs in here with his hate based speech

WHat is he is afraid of?

Why does he avoid the truth?

Why is he lying online?

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:05pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 4:36pm:
I did not actually criticise them for their violence. The attack on freedom of speech and the message that was sent to the Australian community is far more significant than the violence involved in the protest. I think you should figure out what I am criticising them for before you tell me I am overstating its significance.

I assume your beef was the calls for violence (beheadings) against those who criticise islam. If muslims had gone out in force in an officially sanctioned (by mainstream islamic bodies) protest, then there may be some substance to your fears. But it wasn't - the protest was organised through text messages instigated by a little known fringe group that has no affiliation with mainstream organisations. Not surprising then that they only got a couple of hundred people to turn up. Nor is it surprising that the official bodies immediately condemned the protest and declared any protest against the video as unislamic and would never be sanctioned.

So perhaps you can explain to me how this "message sent to the Australian community" of a few dozen thugs that is roundly rejected and condemned by just about everyone - especially the mainstream muslim community - is in any way significant in terms of the threat posed to our democracy. Usually when this sort of stuff happens with other extremist groups, we just laugh at them, not become frozen with fear.

No they wouldn't. Our society mocks religions and religious people. Constantly. Mercilessly.

No we don't, but thats not vilifying an entire group. Vilifying, in this case is using a single isolated and non-representative event to make up stories about the sinnister undemocratic motives of the entire muslim community. Most Australians believe in a fair go, and would rightly acknowledge that such an event is not representative of the majority - and indeed would stand up for that community (note 'community' - ie this is about minorities and how they are treated, not religion) in the face of such vilification.

That is not what I said. I am genuinely interested in the internal reasonings they used to stop the protest.

You said it previously - that press releases, public statements etc are merely a cover, and that the real "internal reasonings" are that terrorism is only wrong because its not official and unsanctioned - but that violence is still the main game. All baseless of course.

For any reasonable person, the public explanation that these protests are unislamic is enough - and there is no need to "be genuinely interested" in the "internal reasonings" - which is just code for "why are they lying?". If the Australian muslim community had a history of projecting an anti-democratic and intolerant message, then there would be some justification to not take them at face value. But they do not, so such antics are little more than hysterics.

I notice you did not respond to my questions about support for freedom, democracy and human rights and you instead stuck to the same meaningless but media-friendly one-liners we see all the time. Why is that?

Because I ignored the deliberate insult. I don't know why you're  trying to get a rise out of me, but quite frankly that little "declare your loyalty" schtick left a bad taste in my mouth, and I won't dignify it with an answer.

I suspect you don't have a clue. Muslims march through the streets with banners calling for people to be beheaded over a video, and you think criticising them for that is the threat to freedom.

now whose making up strawmen?

The threat is not criticising the calls for beheading, because by that logic I would be labelling those muslim leaders who condemned those calls as a threat to freedom  Cheesy

The threat is from condemning an entire community over the actions of a few.

I made my claims very clear in the opening post.

Yes quite the tedious read. It was quite a challenge to swallow that jingoistic neo-liberal nonsense without throwing up I must say.

The basic take home message was that islam is the number one threat to our virtuous democracy and freedom, and we must be ever vigilant against this global threat.

All I would say in response is that you seem blissfully unaware of the potential such jingoistic "call to arms" (so to speak) can have for targeting, in a negative way, a rather disempowered minority such as the muslim community in Australia - who have done nothing to deserve such vilification. Even just a little disclaimer stating things like "I don't want to tar the entire muslim community - most of whom are peaceful" or "this is not a call to vilify and entire community" - wouldn't have gone astray.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - May 19th, 2013 at 6:30pm

Quote:
So perhaps you can explain to me how this "message sent to the Australian community" of a few dozen thugs that is roundly rejected and condemned by just about everyone - especially the mainstream muslim community - is in any way significant in terms of the threat posed to our democracy.

It was an attack on freedom of speech. I never attempted to portray it as a direct threat to our democracy. Perhaps you need to read it again.

Quote:
Usually when this sort of stuff happens with other extremist groups, we just laugh at them, not become frozen with fear.

That's because the threat to kill people is not usually as serious.

Quote:
Vilifying, in this case is using a single isolated and non-representative event

What are you talking about? My opening post? I described a global pattern of behaviour.

Quote:
Most Australians believe in a fair go, and would rightly acknowledge that such an event is not representative of the majority

You are missing the point Gandalf. It does not have to represent the majority of anything to be a threat to freedom of speech.

Quote:
You said it previously - that press releases, public statements etc are merely a cover, and that the real "internal reasonings" are that terrorism is only wrong because its not official and unsanctioned

I did not say this. You always seem to take subtle points and turn them into something completely different, the result being that 90% of my discussions with you turn into me explaining to you that it is not what I said. A solution to this is to simply quote what I actually said.

Quote:
Because I ignored the deliberate insult.

Would you mind pointing it out to me? I thought it was rather odd that your response completely left out the issues I actually raised in the opening post. Why is that? Here it is again for you:

What about pro-freedom, pro-human rights and pro-democracy? Or is that too much to ask from a Muslim

Quote:
I don't know why you're  trying to get a rise out of me

I want you to answer the question. I am not trying to arouse you in any way.

Quote:
but quite frankly that little "declare your loyalty" schtick left a bad taste in my mouth

But you had just "declared your loyalty". It is your schtick. I merely asked you to make it relevant to the thread.

Quote:
It was quite a challenge to swallow that jingoistic neo-liberal nonsense without throwing up I must say.

OK. I'll simplify it for you. What about pro-freedom, pro-human rights and pro-democracy? Or is that too much to ask from a Muslim?

Quote:
The basic take home message was that islam is the number one threat to our virtuous democracy and freedom, and we must be ever vigilant against this global threat.

Well said Gandalf. Globally, Islam is the greatest barrier to the march of freedom, democracy and human rights. Nothing else even comes close. As for vigilance, the common way of saying it is that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Do you have a problem with this? Should we discard the most basic principles of defending freedom because Muslims get all delicate about it?

Quote:
Even just a little disclaimer stating things like "I don't want to tar the entire muslim community - most of whom are peaceful" or "this is not a call to vilify and entire community" - wouldn't have gone astray.

Did you read the opening paragraph? Everything you have said here makes me think you did not read any of the opening post. You don't seem to be even remotely aware of what this thread is about.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #34 - May 19th, 2013 at 8:34pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 6:30pm:
Would you mind pointing it out to me? I thought it was rather odd that your response completely left out the issues I actually raised in the opening post. Why is that? Here it is again for you:

What about pro-freedom, pro-human rights and pro-democracy? Or is that too much to ask from a Muslim

Let me spell it out to you then. I had just finished explaining, at length, how I (and I believe the majority of muslims) go out and contribute positively to the community, building bridges with the non-muslim community, and presenting the peaceful, tolerant face of islam. To any reasonable person, support for human rights and democracy is implicit, and needs no further clarification. And if you don't think adding that little gem "Or is that too much to ask from a Muslim?" - is insulting - then I suggest you get your head examined.

I merely asked you to make it relevant to the thread.

If you took notice, you would see it was in response to a specific attack by Soren. I felt I needed to clarify my personal position.

Well said Gandalf. Globally, Islam is the greatest barrier to the march of freedom, democracy and human rights. Nothing else even comes close.

These idiotic claims pop up every now and then, and in any adult conversation, they are rightly laughed out of court.

The greatest barrier to the march of democracy and human rights is first world, nuclear armed superpowers rampaging across the globe bombing and plotting against any regime that dare stand up to the neoliberal economic world order. True freedom and democracy generally emerges when nations revolt against this imperialism - as we are starting to see in South America. The islam "clash of civilizations" schtick is just a tool to appeal to the useful idiots - which enables the imperialism to continue unimpeded. Yet, for anyone who actually pays attention, its patently obvious that the imperialist activities carried out under the auspices of promoting democracy and/or fighting terrorism are in fact hindering both. Why, for example, is the US supporting salafist extremists from Saudi Arabia to fight in Syria - who openly call for all the things you warn about in the OP - on steroids?

Did you read the opening paragraph?

Yes, I just noticed that. Basically your OP can be summed up as "this is not about painting muslims as terrorists... but I'll proceed to write an entire essay in which I basically portray muslims as terrorists."  Tongue

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:00pm

Quote:
Let me spell it out to you then. I had just finished explaining, at length, how I (and I believe the majority of muslims) go out and contribute positively to the community, building bridges with the non-muslim community, and presenting the peaceful, tolerant face of islam. To any reasonable person, support for human rights and democracy is implicit, and needs no further clarification.

So I should have assumed, even after talking to other Muslims who oppose democracy and freedom, but still claim to do the same things you boast of?

When it comes to the global campaign by Muslims to criminalise or violently stamp out blasphemy, and local aspects of it like what happened in Sydney and Melbourne, what does the debate about blasphemy and freedom of speech within the Islamic community look like?

Quote:
Why, for example, is the US supporting salafist extremists from Saudi Arabia to fight in Syria - who openly call for all the things you warn about in the OP - on steroids?

Perhaps they assumed they were pro democracy and pro human rights because they want to contribute positively to their community.

How do the actions of western nations in Iraq and Afghanistan fit in with your claims about the real threats to democracy?
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013 at 9:06pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #36 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:18pm

Quote:
So perhaps you can explain to me how this "message sent to the Australian community" of a few dozen thugs that is roundly rejected and condemned by just about everyone - especially the mainstream muslim community - is in any way significant in terms of the threat posed to our democracy.

It was an attack on freedom of speech. I never attempted to portray it as a direct threat to our democracy. Perhaps you need to read it again.

And you aren't doing exactly the same, trying to deny them their right to Freedom of Speech, FD?   Roll Eyes

You are as equally guilty as they are, I would suggest.  They are bigots, you are a bigot.  They seek to deny Freedom of Speech.  You seek to deny them, their Freedom of Speech.  Pot, kettle, black!   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #37 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:37pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 9:18pm:
Quote:

And you aren't doing exactly the same, trying to deny them their right to Freedom of Speech, FD?   Roll Eyes

You are as equally guilty as they are, I would suggest.  They are bigots, you are a bigot.  They seek to deny Freedom of Speech.  You seek to deny them, their Freedom of Speech.  Pot, kettle, black!   Roll Eyes

Only Muslims riot when non-Muslims exercise their right to freedom of speech.

I have not seen street marches with placards calling for the beheading of Muslims who oppose freedom of speech, have you, 'Brian'??

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #38 - May 19th, 2013 at 9:38pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 9:00pm:
So I should have assumed, even after talking to other Muslims who oppose democracy and freedom, but still claim to do the same things you boast of?

No because I don't believe any muslim said that to you. As I said previously, you've proven yourself such a fabricator in this regard, that I no longer believe anything you claim muslims have told you - until you produce actual quotes.

Personally I don't believe its possible to oppose the values of our society while at the same time being an active and positive contributor to that society. Thats a pretty obvious point I would have thought.

and Melbourne

are you trying to be funny?

what does the debate about blasphemy and freedom of speech within the Islamic community look like?

It looks identical to the debate outside the islamic community.

How do the actions of western nations in Iraq and Afghanistan fit in with your claims about the real threats to democracy?

Hmmm let me think FD - how about aiding and abetting the most blatant electoral fraud by the Karzai government? How about Australia propping up a corrupt and brutal local warlord in Oruzgan province? Or we could look at viceroy Paul Bremer's 97 edicts to impose a neoliberal utopia on Iraq. Not to mention his interventions against the setting up of local democratic councils (not hand-picked by the CPA - can't have that!).

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - May 19th, 2013 at 10:16pm

Quote:
And you aren't doing exactly the same, trying to deny them their right to Freedom of Speech, FD?

No I am not. Why do you keep asking these stupid questions?

Quote:
You are as equally guilty as they are, I would suggest.

Why do you suggest this?

Quote:
No because I don't believe any muslim said that to you.

Of course he didn't say it to me. But I believe you would come to the same conclusion as me about his position on freedom and democracy.

Quote:
Personally I don't believe its possible to oppose the values of our society while at the same time being an active and positive contributor to that society. Thats a pretty obvious point I would have thought.

If you oppose the values of your society you contribute to it by changing the values.

Are you saying you support all the values of Australian society?

Quote:
are you trying to be funny?

You made claims about what happened in Melbourne. I would like you to elaborate on them. If anything they are more interesting to me than what happened in Sydney.

Quote:
It looks identical to the debate outside the islamic community.

People outside the Islamic community don't have debates about whether it is OK to behead someone for insulting Muhammed, or whether they should openly announce this view via protest. Maybe we had similar debates in centuries past, but that is as alien to us now as what is going on in the Muslim community. I have debated a broad range of issues on this forum with some very stupid people, but I can't imagine any of that would come close to trying to explain to a Muslim in Melbourne why they should not walk down the street carrying a placard calling for someone to be beheaded over a youtube video.

Quote:
Hmmm let me think FD - how about aiding and abetting the most blatant electoral fraud by the Karzai government? How about Australia propping up a corrupt and brutal local warlord in Oruzgan province? Or we could look at viceroy Paul Bremer's 97 edicts to impose a neoliberal utopia on Iraq. Not to mention his interventions against the setting up of local democratic councils (not hand-picked by the CPA - can't have that!).

So the greatest threat to democracy comes from the countries who have recently created two new democracies at great expense to themselves, and not the ideologists who are fundamentally opposed to democracy and willing to kill their fellow countrymen to destroy it (on steroids)?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #40 - May 19th, 2013 at 11:30pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 10:16pm:
But I believe you would come to the same conclusion as me about his position on freedom and democracy.

If you say so. However my default position is to ignore anything you claim muslims say unless there is direct quotes.

Are you saying you support all the values of Australian society?

Of course I do. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

You made claims about what happened in Melbourne.

Yes and you keep making up sh!t about an imaginary campaign to criminalise blasphemy in Melbourne. As for my claims, I don't know what you are talking about - I'm merely repeating what was all over the news - that Melbourne's islamic leaders got together and made proactive moves to prevent a repeat of what happened in Sydney.

People outside the Islamic community don't have debates about whether it is OK to behead someone for insulting Muhammed, or whether they should openly announce this view via protest.

Believe it or not, neither do people inside the mainstream islamic community. So thats not what I was talking about. I was more talking about the appropriate way to deal with acts of extremism and calls for violence. So my point was that, IMO, the views on this between the mainstream islamic community and the non-islamic community is near identical - ie condemn it and emphasise the peaceful nature of islam.

So the greatest threat to democracy comes from the countries who have recently created two new democracies

FD - reality check please. Afghanistan is not even remotely a democracy. The vote rigging of the Karzai government is just the tip of the iceberg. The US/NATO forces aren't really even pretending to run with the democracy meme anymore. The reality is what is happening in Uruzgon - as mentioned before - propping up local strongmen who obviously have no interest in democracy. Now NATO are simply in a holding pattern - mostly only concerned with preventing more insider attacks, and counting the days until they leave. As for Iraq, I think it would be quite a stretch to call that a democracy today - and even if it was, you'd be a brave person to say the hundreds of thousands dead, millions displaced and the probable break-up of the country - was worth the price.

not the ideologists who are fundamentally opposed to democracy and willing to kill their fellow countrymen to destroy it (on steroids)?

Egypt and Tunisia are two countries who have sprung into democracy by a mass grassroots revolt against the US Supported oppressive dictators. Conversely, in Bahrain, a mass revolt against the oppressive autocracy was brutally suppressed when Saudi troops were brought in. The US - who have a naval base in Bahrain looked on and said nothing. Or you can take the democratically elected Venezuelan government, who in 2002 the US plotted (and failed) to overthrow - and thereafter never stopped trying to undermine. Or the Sandinistas in Nicuragua - democractically elected, and then subject to a brutal military campaign by the US army who attempted (and failed) to overthrow them - attempting to install the unpopular Contras. Shall I go on? The post WWII period is literally filled with similar examples. Soeharto in Indonesia, Wahabists in Saudi Arabia, military dictatorships in Pakistan, Saddam in Iraq, the Shah in Iran etc etc...

Quote:

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #41 - May 20th, 2013 at 12:20am

Soren wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 9:37pm:
Quote:

Not true.  You obviously missed this post, with it's link to a YuoTube video of non-Muslims rioting over the Freedom of Speech being exercised by others, Soren - http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1368431427/157#157 Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - May 20th, 2013 at 8:58am

Quote:
Yes and you keep making up sh!t about an imaginary campaign to criminalise blasphemy in Melbourne.

I said it was a global campaign and I asked you how they managed to convince the would-be protestors in Melbourne not to go ahead.

Quote:
I was more talking about the appropriate way to deal with acts of extremism and calls for violence.

Yes I noticed you keep changing the topic.

Quote:
So my point was that, IMO, the views on this between the mainstream islamic community and the non-islamic community is near identical - ie condemn it and emphasise the peaceful nature of islam.

What about their views regarding blasphemy and freedom of speech? What about democracy?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #43 - May 20th, 2013 at 9:54am

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 8:58am:
I said it was a global campaign and I asked you how they managed to convince the would-be protestors in Melbourne not to go ahead.

So who threatening violence at a planned Melbourne rally?

The plot gets interesting:

Quote:
A text message urging violence worse than the Cronulla riots was circulated after news of the planned alleged Muslim protest broke.

The message, seen by The Age, calls for Australians to "battle for our rights and our land" to counteract the rally.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/muslim-community-not-behind-melbourne-rally-20120919-266xk.html#ixzz2TmlLZkAh

Quote:
While the planned protest, purportedly against a US film denigrating the Prophet Mohammed which had incited violent rallies around the world and last weekend in Sydney, Mr Cartwright said "There are concerns ... that there might be other motivations, some of which might be to see violence and disruption in the city."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/muslim-community-not-behind-melbourne-rally-20120919-266xk.html#ixzz2TmlaI0Hd

Quote:
This was in line with a text message circulating the Muslim community, which sources had earlier provided The Age.

"Muslim community did not organise any rallies in Melbourne ... WE CONDEMN ANY ATTACK AGAINST OUR BELOVED PROPHET MOUHAMMAD (saw) and against ISLAM," it said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/muslim-community-not-behind-melbourne-rally-20120919-266xk.html#ixzz2Tmlm0gAa

Were muslims in Melbourne being set up by rednecks in order to provoke a riot?

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2013 at 8:58am:
What about their views regarding blasphemy and freedom of speech? What about democracy?

Like I said, the views of the mainstream islamic community is identical to the mainstream non-muslims Australian community on these issues.

Quote:

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #44 - May 20th, 2013 at 9:56am

Soren wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 9:37pm:
Quote:

I have not seen street marches with placards calling for the beheading of Muslims who oppose freedom of speech, have you, 'Brian'??

no need for that

THe fascist Western corporatized military terrorist armies led by the USA accomplish this task with carpet bombing, drone attacks, terrorist attacks and unprovoked military strikes of civilian targets

They even use depleted Uranium in their weaponry

What a wonderful group of fair skinned Males who go to Christian Churches and pray each Sunday.

YOu look in the mirror and all you see is moral perfection

THank GOD that GOD doesn't really worry too much about mirrors

You PERSONALLY have a lot to answer for when you croak it and meet whatever maker cast your pathetic carcass in the clay of hatred and ignorance

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print