Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Muslims want to silence and intimidate you (Read 80007 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Muslims want to silence and intimidate you
Reply #15 - May 26th, 2013 at 9:46pm

Quote:
I have given you the straightest answer possible to that - more than once I think.

You said the jury is still out. WTF does that mean?

Quote:
Freedom of speech should be denied where the law says it should be denied.

Is this an endorsement of Australian law, or are you saying the outcome is arbitrary, so long as you do the right paperwork? Given that you have no clue what Australian law is on the matter, this hardly clarifies the issue either.

Quote:
what? How is it not a restriction?

I cannot prove a negative Gandalf. If you say something stupid and people call you an idiot, it does not restrict your freedom to say stupid things. If you think it does, you will have to epxlain how.

Quote:
Absolutely. I hope anyone who carried such a placard gets the book thrown at them. It is unacceptable - and un-Australian - as any mainstream Australian muslim would tell you.

It is not illegal.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - May 26th, 2013 at 10:06pm

freediver wrote on May 26th, 2013 at 9:46pm:
Is this an endorsement of Australian law

yes.

or are you saying the outcome is arbitrary, so long as you do the right paperwork?

I don't even know what you mean.

If you are saying it is "arbitrary" in the sense that the law will only apply when people can be bothered bringing a matter before the courts (which would be quite rare I imagine) - then I would agree.

Given that you have no clue what Australian law is on the matter

Just out of interest - what have I got wrong on Australian law?

It is not illegal.

I disagree - I think it would come under the Crimes Act Amendment 2005 (incitement to violence). That is, if the crown can be bothered pursuing it, which they probably don't.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - May 27th, 2013 at 12:32pm

How about instead of telling us what you think the law is you tell us what you think it should be?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - May 27th, 2013 at 12:42pm

From the other thread:

polite_gandalf wrote on May 26th, 2013 at 9:54pm:
freediver wrote on May 26th, 2013 at 9:40pm:
I don't have a problem with it if it is peaceful and not an attack on freedom of speech. For example, if they had placards calling for blasphemers to be beheaded I would have a problem with that, even if they did not actually chop anyone's head off. If they called for blasphemy to be criminalised I would have a problem with that. Whether it is peaceful or not kind of misses the point.

Right, good, then we agree 100% on those points. I would like to clarify though what I mean by "peaceful protest" - as it may not have been clearly articulated: for me there is no such thing as a peaceful protest that has people holding a beheading placard. It may not be physically violent, but there is violent intent.

What if they held a Koran instead of a placard?

It may not be physically violent, but there is violent intent.

What if they intend violence but do not explicitly state it?

I feel like we have been wrestling over this concept without having this point properly cleared up. But let me be crystal clear: when I say "peaceful protest" - I mean peaceful in both actions and intent - and carrying beheading placards is not demonstrating peaceful intent. I apologise if I wasn't clear on this before.

What if they are calling for the law to be changed so that these people are beheaded legally? Is that violent?

Yes, I jumped the gun a bit there - criticism should be carte blanche - provided it does not grow into defamation, vilification, intimidation etc.

Can you elaborate please? For example, does this mean that the Muhammed cartoons should be legal, unless people use them in an inappropriate manner?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - May 27th, 2013 at 4:14pm

freediver wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 12:42pm:
What if they held a Koran instead of a placard?

I don't know what you are getting at - holding a quran is obviously not showing any violent intent.

What if they intend violence but do not explicitly state it?

Well I guess you'd have to prove that was the case.

What if they are calling for the law to be changed so that these people are beheaded legally? Is that violent?

Of course. It would be un-Australian too, and I would oppose any such move. Though I'm not aware of any such moves in Australia - are you?

Can you elaborate please? For example, does this mean that the Muhammed cartoons should be legal, unless people use them in an inappropriate manner?

Vilification should be and is illegal. Thats my opinion, and is the opinion of most Australians. Defining what this actually means in practice can be difficult. If I just take the bomb-in-turban Muhammad cartoon, I judge it to be vilifying using the following logic:

1. The statement "All muslims are terrorists" - is vilification
2. All muslims hold their prophet Muhammad in the greatest regard, and consider his example as the greatest example to follow
3. Therefore depicting the prophet as a modern day terrorist - is tantamount to saying all muslims aspire to be terrorists.

Just my opinion though - no doubt there will be different views.

freediver wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
How about instead of telling us what you think the law is you tell us what you think it should be?

Wasn't I clear enough? Its one in the same.

So how did I go in this interrogation FD? Did I pass? Have I proved my loyalty? Am I a worthy human being?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2013 at 4:20pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 27th, 2013 at 6:01pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
... 2. All muslims hold their prophet Muhammad in the greatest regard, and consider his example as the greatest example to follow ...

So, with the 'orthodox' Sunni persecuting the minority Shiite 'twelve-bookers' and the Wahhabi declaring everyone but themselves kafir, what is the true ultimate aim of Islam? Are we to assume that the Sunni will ultimately prevail because of sheer numbers? Or is that also open to interpretation?

As you quite rightly point out, not all muslims are terrorists or fundamentalists. However, One of the few unifying ties in Islam appears to be a re-stablishment of the Ummah, but how is this to be achieved, and by whom, when muslims themselves are still suffering sectarian divisions? The second tie is the seemingly open hostility directed towards the Jews and more recently, the 'West', even if only by the 'tiny minority' - of all sects.

More importantly, what is the 'modern' Islamic opinion of the kafir and how are they to be treated if, and when, the new Ummah is realised ?

And could you kindly explain the differences between kitman and taqiyya?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - May 27th, 2013 at 7:52pm

Quote:
I don't know what you are getting at - holding a quran is obviously not showing any violent intent.

It has lots of violent bits in it.

Quote:
Well I guess you'd have to prove that was the case.

How can you ever prove intent?

Quote:
Of course. It would be un-Australian too, and I would oppose any such move. Though I'm not aware of any such moves in Australia - are you?

Abu supported that sort of thing, but wasn't "actively" pursuing it.

Quote:
Vilification should be and is illegal. Thats my opinion, and is the opinion of most Australians.

It is a fairly nebulous statement. You would have a hard time showing that most Australians agree with you.

Quote:
Defining what this actually means in practice can be difficult. If I just take the bomb-in-turban Muhammad cartoon, I judge it to be vilifying using the following logic:

What else do you think should be banned? Any of the other Muhammed cartoons? What about the youtube video? And what about me saying that Islam is the greatest threat to freedom and democracy in the modern world?

Also, to what extent does context play a role? You suggested that intent is important. Does that mean that what people say cannot be judged solely on the content? That is, two people could say the exact same thing, and one would be breaking the law and the other not?

Quote:

If someone actually said this, what would you suggest is the appropriate punishment?

Quote:
So how did I go in this interrogation FD? Did I pass? Have I proved my loyalty? Am I a worthy human being?

I appreciate the straight answers.

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #22 - May 27th, 2013 at 7:55pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2013 at 9:33pm:
Quote:
Muslims want to silence and intimidate you

Is this all Muslims or just some Muslims, FD?   Roll Eyes

I think you will find that deep rooted bigots and racists don't discriminate when it comes to GROUPS of people they detest and wish to wipe off the face of the planet

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - May 27th, 2013 at 7:59pm

I am interested in the issue of what Australian law currently is, but don't want to side track this thread with it. I encourage you to start another thread. I might, if I ever get round to looking into it.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #24 - May 27th, 2013 at 8:31pm

freediver wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 7:52pm:
How can you ever prove intent?

Exactly my point.

It is a fairly nebulous statement.

not really. It may be difficult in some cases to discern what is and what isn't vilification in practice, but the concept is rather clear and straight forward.

What else do you think should be banned?

take it on a case by case basis

Also, to what extent does context play a role? You suggested that intent is important. Does that mean that what people say cannot be judged solely on the content? That is, two people could say the exact same thing, and one would be breaking the law and the other not?

Following on from my last answer - yes context is critical. I essentially agree with everything you said here.

If someone actually said this, what would you suggest is the appropriate punishment?

I don't really have an opinion on punishment - only that it should be considered unacceptable behaviour, and discouraged.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #25 - May 27th, 2013 at 8:37pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 6:01pm:
However, One of the few unifying ties in Islam appears to be a re-stablishment of the Ummah

I disagree.

My local imam for example teaches that the "global Ummah" is a myth, and pursuing it misses the point. The "ummah" is simply any local muslim community - regardless of whether its in a muslim majority country or not. It doesn't matter. As long as muslims are free to worship and enjoy basic human rights (as they do in Australia), then that is all the "Ummah" they need.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - May 27th, 2013 at 8:38pm

Quote:
Exactly my point.

So intent cannot be a criteria for illegality?

Quote:
take it on a case by case basis

So give some examples. I already suggested some.

Quote:
I don't really have an opinion on punishment - only that it should be considered unacceptable behaviour, and discouraged.

Does this mean, not illegal?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #27 - May 27th, 2013 at 8:57pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
If I just take the bomb-in-turban Muhammad cartoon, I judge it to be vilifying using the following logic:

2. All muslims hold their prophet Muhammad in the greatest regard, and consider his example as the greatest example to follow
3. Therefore depicting the prophet as a modern day terrorist - is tantamount to saying all muslims aspire to be terrorists.

Just my opinion though - no doubt there will be different views.

Love it! This is pure genius  - love free speech and free exchange of ideas and views as long as Mohammed is not criticised because that amounts to criticising every Muslim and bingo! blanket  vilification on religious grounds!

Even reading out loud from the Koran in a church is vilification, provided there is giggling. Anyone who laughs at Mohammed laughs at every Muslims and that's vilification.

"Anyone else feels like a giggle when I mention my fwiend...  Muhammad .... Ibn `Abd Allāh  ....  Ibn `Abd al-Muttalib ?? Do you find it wrisible?

But enough of this wroudy-wrebel, sniggewing behaviour!"

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2013 at 9:18pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - May 27th, 2013 at 8:57pm

freediver wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 8:38pm:
So intent cannot be a criteria for illegality?

Well think about it - if someone has secret thoughts of criminality, but never actually carries out those thoughts - you can't exactly present a case against them can you? By "intent" I obviously only meant explicitly stated (and recorded) intent that can be used as evidence in a court - eg a placard calling for people to be beheaded.

So give some examples. I already suggested some.

Given that context is everything, Its really too hard to concoct a list of hypothetical examples. Its really only practical to take actual cases and judge them on the circumstances from which they arise.

Does this mean, not illegal?

No. Legalising it implies that the state condones this behaviour. As soon as vilification becomes legal, it won't just be something that is merely tolerated, but something that will inevitably be demanded to be defended.

Quote:

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - May 27th, 2013 at 9:34pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 8:37pm:
Lionel Edriess wrote on May 27th, 2013 at 6:01pm:
However, One of the few unifying ties in Islam appears to be a re-stablishment of the Ummah

I disagree.

My local imam for example teaches that the "global Ummah" is a myth, and pursuing it misses the point. The "ummah" is simply any local muslim community - regardless of whether its in a muslim majority country or not. It doesn't matter. As long as muslims are free to worship and enjoy basic human rights (as they do in Australia), then that is all the "Ummah" they need.

You're dissembling. If, then, that word were to be translated into Islamic doctrine, which would describe it - kitman or taqiyya?

While your local imam dismisses the idea of a global Ummah, he then maintains that a local Ummah is the ideal - for muslims in a local area. Is that your complete answer?

While we, on a local level, may question your own allegiance to our social laws/mores, what are the ultimate aims of Islam, of which you are a part?

All over the globe, are muslims so marginalised? Like the blacks that your religion radicalises and then discards?

Make no mistake, it is not muslims we fear, it is Islam. Which, as muslims, in all your different interpretations of the Word, you revere - often to the cost of your own people's suffering.

This nay-saying of, "Oh, it wasn't us, it was them, those bloody radicals." It all breaks down when Islam becomes the target.

We see what Islam is capable of, even against it's own adherents. As kafirs, we know what's in store.

When your imam starts honestly preaching 'love thy neighbour', you'll fit in just fine. Until then ....

No hate exists in my heart, but I would be remiss in my duties as a father if I could not answer questions asked by my children in the future.

Wars are often the end-result of raised voices.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 38
Send Topic Print