Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print
Muslims want to silence and intimidate you (Read 80003 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Muslims want to silence and intimidate you
Reply #540 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:31pm

Soren wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 3:57pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 12:07pm:
freediver wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 8:28am:
Quote:
Australia does not have 'free speech'

Why not?

We do have free speech. We don't have free thought. Thought in Australia is mediated by a media which is bought, sold and paid for. If you can afford lobbying, PR, advertising and Alan's comments, you have more freedom than most. 

Nobody is limited to the Australian commercial media. You can buy overseas publications and there is non-commercial media like books and some semi-obscure TV and radio stations funded by Tony Abbott.

And then there is - are you sitting down? - this fancy new invention called internetz.  OMG. I came across it only very recently (I am an early adopter, I am proud to say) but you obviously haven't heard of it yet. Look out for it, you will be amazed. It has all sors of text, pics, even vids. With sound!
What will they think of next, eh?

The news agenda in Australia is still driven by the print media - Fairfax and News Ltd. If you have any doubt about this, look.at the arguments on this site, and the sources used to back them up.

The print media is morphing into the online media, based on advertising revenue. With the exception of the ABC, consumers don’t pay for the news, advertisers do.

And this is exactly Rupert’s argument against the ABC and BBC - he sees public broadcasters as unfair competition to his media monopoly.

Interestingly, the clash between social and mainstream media is sometimes pronounced. Look at the response to JuLiar’s Blue Ties speech. Look at the Arab Spring. Look at the challenge sites like Wikileaks apply to publishing laws.

Whether it’s the Arab Spring or the manufactured popular call to ditch the witch, the mainstream media still crafts the message. It still sets the agenda. Freedom of speech is heavily mediated, same as it ever was - far more than it ever was. Before newspapers, pamphleteers might have needed a bit of capital, but they could influence popular opinion far more easily than individuals today. While there were also political forces at play, pamphleteers managed to spark revolutions in both England and France.

Martin Luther managed a reformation with a proclamation on a church door.

Despite print sales killing paper-generated ad revenue, the Fourth Estate is stronger than it’s ever been in history.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #541 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:38pm

Have you given up on your little fantasy about Murdoch stealing our freedom of thought and selling it to the highest bidder?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #542 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:39pm

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 6:25pm:
Gandalf, what percentage of Australians want to pander to Islamic extremists and censor hollywood movies the way you would like to?

That’s a hard one, FD. 79%?

It’s just a stab in.the dark.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #543 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:41pm

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 6:38pm:
Have you given up on your little fantasy about Murdoch stealing our freedom of thought and selling it to the highest bidder?

Good question, FD. Have you given up your idea of Iraq and Afghanistan being demokracies?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #544 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:49pm

Do we have freedom of thought Karnal?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #545 - May 16th, 2014 at 6:59pm

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 6:49pm:
Do we have freedom of thought Karnal?

Me or you?

Please be specific, FD.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #546 - May 16th, 2014 at 7:13pm

I think you are conflating what is readily visible (the media you are talking about) with what people actually think and express in a highly diffused way.  MOST people are not on twitter, most people do not listen to talk radio, commercial or ABC.  Others, like me and probably you and loads of others, listen to both, look at mainstream and niche media - but get their bearings from elsewhere, not the media (well, I do).

I think it is the suburban progressives, not the Alan Jones demographic, that has its mind made up for it by mainstream progressive media. Progressivism is about new thought and most people are busy with their lives to devout quality inner life to this stuff. They have an inclination to appear caring and with-it but would run a mile if they actually had to articulate and reason through their agreements and disagreements.

Conservatives, on the other hand, know what they know in their bones but  may need help with articulating it - and so Alan Jones does that very well for them. But he couldn't talk them into something they don't want or like.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #547 - May 16th, 2014 at 7:42pm

Karnal has spent a lot of time mocking themes of 'sinister Muslims' trying to trick people, only to turn around and claim we do not have the freedom to think for ourselves because Murdoch is controlling us. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me. Hysterical might be a better term.

Tell us more about the electric shock therapy theory Karnal.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #548 - May 16th, 2014 at 7:43pm

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 6:05pm:
It is the gaping holes in your position that set you apart. That is my criticism of you - that you restrict your commentary to those issue on which you can make yourself look normal. That is, 99% of the debate is beyond you. And your blathering just proves this. Have you forgotten already what I have been asking you?

Whoa there FD - what "gaping holes" exactly are you talking about, and how exactly does it set me apart from mainstream Australian sentiment? Specifics please, if you would. I'm interested in these extensive insights you have with mainstream Australian sentiment. Do you go around conducting surveys for a living?

Here you go Gandalf - how long will you go on pretending these words don't exist? How can you expect anyone to trust you when all you can do is slither away from this and point back to the 1% of the debate where you can make yourself appear normal?

Thanks FD - you seem to have quoted some posts where you are doing all the talking. Not really sure what that says about my words.

They have all failed, so you have fallen back to changing the topic and pretending the first 20 pages of this discussion doesn't exist.

Hmmm thats funny - I thought it was me constantly reminding you that the first 20 pages contains extensive clarification of my positions, including about 4 specific scenarios to demonstrate instances where I would curtail freedom of speech. Gee, you even thanked me for what you said were honest responses.

Do progressive Muslims not exist Gandalf?

Gee I don't FD - since thats your term not mine. I have no idea what a "progressive muslim" is supposed to be. What doesn't exist is Gandalf the self confessed progressive muslim, a charge that you have brought up several times now.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #549 - May 16th, 2014 at 7:50pm

Quote:
Whoa there FD - what "gaping holes" exactly are you talking about, and how exactly does it set me apart from mainstream Australian sentiment? Specifics please, if you would. I'm interested in these extensive insights you have with mainstream Australian sentiment. Do you go around conducting surveys for a living?

There are 20 pages of specifics. I have been reminding you of them on a regular basis. For example, you said that you would support censoring hollywood movies if Muslims threatened violence. You blamed this on me tricking you, saying that violence is guaranteed when Muslims threaten people. Then you said you would support freedom of speech if there was a guarantee that violence could be prevented. Again, you attributed this guarantee to me and pretended that was what I was asking you. I pointed out the wide gulf between these two scenarios, and that reality fitted into that gulf without touching the sides. You spent several pages offering excuses for why you cannot answer any more questions (most invoking the infidel trickery), then went back to pretending you cannot understand the question. The only time you have been more specific is to support censorship, but you refuse to reveal the extent to which you would do so. Have you forgotten all this?

Quote:
Gee I don't FD - since thats your term not mine. I have no idea what a "progressive muslim" is supposed to be. What doesn't exist is Gandalf the self confessed progressive muslim, a charge that you have brought up several times now.

Do you consider yourself to be a progressive Muslim?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #550 - May 16th, 2014 at 7:54pm

FD's in overdrive tonight.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #551 - May 16th, 2014 at 8:11pm

Would you like me to quote your spineless apologetics? I have only had to do it a dozen times already.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #552 - May 16th, 2014 at 10:46pm

Soren wrote on May 16th, 2014 at 7:13pm:
I think you are conflating what is readily visible (the media you are talking about) with what people actually think and express in a highly diffused way.  MOST people are not on twitter, most people do not listen to talk radio, commercial or ABC.  Others, like me and probably you and loads of others, listen to both, look at mainstream and niche media - but get their bearings from elsewhere, not the media (well, I do).

I think it is the suburban progressives, not the Alan Jones demographic, that has its mind made up for it by mainstream progressive media. Progressivism is about new thought and most people are busy with their lives to devout quality inner life to this stuff. They have an inclination to appear caring and with-it but would run a mile if they actually had to articulate and reason through their agreements and disagreements.

Conservatives, on the other hand, know what they know in their bones but  may need help with articulating it - and so Alan Jones does that very well for them. But he couldn't talk them into something they don't want or like.

Progressives, eh?

All non-public media relies on advertising. This is nothing to do with progressives or conservatives, merely audience-share. Different segments of the market consume media differently.  Advertising targets them specifically - increasingly so.

FD likes to have a chuckle about conspiracy theories, but I’ve actually bought things from the ads on FD’s very own site.

Believe it or not, there’s a pretty Muslim gal in a hijab staring at me right now. FD’s selling me Muslim dating sites while he rails against the Muselman.

Not bad, eh? Freedom of speech or spineless apologetics?

I wonder if she’s under 9 and ready for marriage.

IP Logged

Mattywisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #553 - May 16th, 2014 at 11:07pm

And you think they are muselman models ha ha.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #554 - May 22nd, 2014 at 7:14pm

In Iran, This is a  Threat To Morals And Public Order

This is what at the moment is exercising the dour dumb mullahs and militia-men of the Islamic Republic of Iran.They rounded up the performers and then, after a huge outcry from abroad, have -- for now -- released them. But they're not happy, they'll make sure to get even.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print