Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
You views on paid parental leave.. (Read 6735 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: You views on paid parental leave..
Reply #30 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 4:56pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 27th, 2013 at 12:01pm:
RightSadFred wrote on Aug 27th, 2013 at 11:58am:
Mandating Maternity leave provisions makes employers baulk at hiring women ...

And Tony Abbott is quite aware of that.

Are you pointing to some hidden agenda here to remove women from the workforce and restore them to the sanctity of the kitchen, while sopping up all the unemployed young singles - men and women?

Good thinking!!  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:11pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:07pm

Darned internet doubling up...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:09pm

____ wrote on Aug 27th, 2013 at 12:07pm:
Thumbs up for Comrade Abbott's first step for cradle to grave welfare for everyone.

But that's just it - it's not cradle to the grave, it's free money for the first 6 months. What happens after that?

If these benefits could be halved, the rest of the fund could go into decent child care - for the first 6 years.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:22pm

Yeah - but what about the retro-pay for the pensioners who did it all for nothing?   At today's rates of course.... Shocked

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 5:34pm

PZ547 wrote on Aug 27th, 2013 at 12:28pm:
[quote author=greggerypeccary link=1377506830/22#22 date=1377569963][quote author=ZXLX796 link=1377506830/19#19 date=1377569626]

As I said above, the Libs were quite openly advocating for far less women in the work force more than twenty years ago

But the easy-divorce laws which also came into effect in the mid-70s mean many men tire of supporting a family and desert their wives to raise and support the children alone.  All part of the Zionist attack on the vital family-unit

Pardon me - but did I hear you correctly?  Why then are about 80% of divorce applications at the behest of the woman, and that does not include the ones where the man accepts it as the least troublesome course. 

The man still has to pay for his now disintegrated family - so  how does anyone get the idea that men are champing at the bit to throw away their most loved ones and still pay through the nose for them while having no home and little future as a result?

Different issue - but let's have some reality here - the LIE that men are running way from their families is just that - a lie.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:03pm

Nah then ... (**flings another Tasmanian Devil, suitably riled up, into the ring**)...

How about we pay SAHMs and SAHDs the average of what is being paid to all others - just to get rid of the discrimination that favours those already earning good money... you know - the welfare parents who are needing a good kick for a change to ensure the baby's well-being???....  Shocked

― John Adams

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:44pm

My view is yes and capped at $200,000 p/a salaries.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:54pm

don't like it one bit and I don't know why the Libs had to make it so generous....

I think there's a strong case for PPL but hell, 75k  ?  Undecided

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:57pm

Trust andre to have his hand out for an over the top paid parental leave, goes with his lower taxes and free child care for high income earners becausethey need more help than poor families because children cut into his golf time

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 7:04pm

Goes way too far.

Cut it down a bit and do more to make child care and other costs cheaper, kids live longer than 6 months.

IP Logged

Quantum
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 7:14pm

You know a policy is absolutely shithouse when there is nearly total agreement against it on ozpolitic. Did anyone from the liberal party actually test the waters on this one?

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #41 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 7:39pm

As is often the case, this is far from simple!

Just to add to the complexity, I would suggest that the Baby Bonus should be viewed in concert with PPL.

In doing so, I would suggest doing away with the Baby Bonus completely, BUT retaining the PPL in a modest format only, perhaps something like the current arrangement.

The Economic imperative that was once the centre piece of most government/s planning was to increase Economic Growth, with Population increase & having more babies, being thought of as the easiest way of achieving those goals.

However, with Energy Supply likely to fall substantially over the decades ahead & prices rising, plus substantial Declines in Food & Fresh water Supply, we have to change our thinking on these issues, NOW!

Whilst families may still want children, although many will restrict the numbers or not have them at all, it must now remain in the province of those families to make their own decisions and to largely cater for their decision/s on child rearing, themselves.      

That said, there still remains an imperative to retain as many female workers in the workforce as possible.

Therefore, some PPL will still be required, to try to get as many female workers thru the initial Baby phase, whilst keeping the family unit finances afloat, but also to incentivize them back into the workforce, as quickly as possible.

These and many other issues, should form part of a whole of government review, which should happen as soon as possible, irrespective of who wins this election! 

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #42 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 7:39pm

Verge wrote on Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:57pm:
Trust andre to have his hand out for an over the top paid parental leave, goes with his lower taxes and free child care for high income earners becausethey need more help than poor families because children cut into his golf time

Never mentioned a thing about my golf time and as it happens my eldest girl comes along and caddies on Saturdays!!!

However do we do it harder than you?
Yeah we damn do verge and you know it.
How many families members around us and how many around you??

Yeah I'm sure it makes no difference eh....

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 7:53pm

You don't deserve a handout when you desert your family for more money.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #44 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 7:56pm

Moving locations to better provide for families when jobs are scarce is an admirable thing.

In the depressions guys used to ride 3 hours for jobs.

You go where the work is to provide.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print