Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nick Xenophon (Read 1001 times)
RightSadFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nick Xenophon
Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:52pm

While I often don't agree with Nick Xenophon I now have new respect for the guy, he runs a shoe string campaign and has told the Greens to get stuffed send his preferences to the Libs.

This creates a rather amusing situation for the Greens whose only option is to preference Nick ..... .

Also the way the greens went about it by dragging out their ex Leader (so what is wrong Milne ?) to beg his preference through the media ........ Nick rejected this and said he does not appreciate the megaphone politics.

One has to wonder ...... is there an issue between Nick and the greens ?

The greens could lose Sarah over this, if so the average IQ will go up in the Senate.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Nick Xenophon
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:58pm

good bloke

IP Logged

Free Willy

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:01pm

RightSadFred wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 3:52pm:
While I often don't agree with Nick Xenophon I now have new respect for the guy, he runs a shoe string campaign and has told the Greens to get stuffed send his preferences to the Libs.

This creates a rather amusing situation for the Greens whose only option is to preference Nick ..... .

Also the way the greens went about it by dragging out their ex Leader (so what is wrong Milne ?) to beg his preference through the media ........ Nick rejected this and said he does not appreciate the megaphone politics.

The greens could lose Sarah over this, if so the average IQ will go up in the Senate.

I like Nick.  He seems genuinely independent with a refreshingly unique policy of being what a Senator is and supporting his own state.  I believe the ALP would be better served by giving their senators more latitude in supporting their personal beliefs and state needs as was originally intended. While the Coalition rarely crosses the floor to vote against bad policy, Labor Senators are penalised for doing so.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:02pm

Nick is splitting his preferences equally between Labor and the Libs.
And of course people are free to distribute their preferences where they like just like every election coz my Senate vote will be Nick X - 1..Sarah Hanson Young - 2 and Labor and Liberal second to last and last just as I did in 2007

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Free Willy

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:23pm

adelcrow wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:02pm:

And of course people are free to distribute their preferences where they like just like every election coz my Senate vote will be Nick X - 1..Sarah Hanson Young - 2 and Labor and Liberal second to last and last just as I did in 2007

Id be interested in how Nick is 'splitting his preferences' when he is required to submit an above-the-line preference ticket that has just one set of preferences.  Sure, his how-to-vote card can set up below-the-line voting for labor or liberal but above the line he can only specify one preference deal which I believe is the Liberals.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:39pm

Free Willy wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:23pm:
adelcrow wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:02pm:

Id be interested in how Nick is 'splitting his preferences' when he is required to submit an above-the-line preference ticket that has just one set of preferences.  Sure, his how-to-vote card can set up below-the-line voting for labor or liberal but above the line he can only specify one preference deal which I believe is the Liberals.

Email him..he is splitting his preferences.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:40pm

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 5:18pm

Even though I may disagree with Xenphon, I do find him to be one of the more honest pollies.

He makes his position clear on agenda items when asked.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Free Willy

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 5:54pm

[quote author=adelcrow link=1377669145/6#6 date=1377672027][url]

He has two tickets for senate voting.  I didn't think that was possible. Well, learn something new every day.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 7:42pm

They are expecting Nick X to have a vote of around 20% this election..10 times the popularity of the Nats and double that of the Greens  Grin
Nick X shows what the public really thinks of the crap that has risen to the top of our corrupt political system  Cheesy

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

RightSadFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:13pm

Free Willy wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 4:01pm:

I like Nick.  He seems genuinely independent with a refreshingly unique policy of being what a Senator is and supporting his own state.  I believe the ALP would be better served by giving their senators more latitude in supporting their personal beliefs and state needs as was originally intended. While the Coalition rarely crosses the floor to vote against bad policy, Labor Senators are penalised for doing so.

Technically speaking they should look after the interests of their states first, but most vote on party lines which is counter to the principles of the senate. Given that I would not miss it if they removed it.

IP Logged

True Colours
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:47pm

Xenophon is a hypocrite. Saw him make a big fuss over Malaysian elections. Yet he was strangely quiet during Singapore's elections even though Singapore has even less press freedom.

A vote for Xenophon is a vote for homosexual marriage.

IP Logged

RightSadFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2013 at 11:44pm

True Colours wrote on Aug 28th, 2013 at 10:47pm:
Xenophon is a hypocrite. Saw him make a big fuss over Malaysian elections. Yet he was strangely quiet during Singapore's elections even though Singapore has even less press freedom.
A vote for Xenophon is a vote for homosexual marriage.

Not sure what being an SA senator has to do with foreign policy is SA some how effected by the Malaysian election ?

To me its just a personal crusade outside his role of representing the people of SA Smiley

He is not the first senator to go running off the reservation, from memory (correct me if I am wrong) didn't he pay for that trip off his own coin ?

Sure there are many countries that are far less democratic, given the behaviour of the ALP, there are also many countries far more democratic than Australia

Variation is a natural thing, social democrats seem to think everything should be the same, what a boring world that would be.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print