Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Melb. AGE editorial : vote LABOR (Read 6349 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Melb. AGE editorial : vote LABOR
Reply #60 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:43am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:33am:
Dnarever wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:29am:
The Age have got it right.

Shame that it makes no difference.

The guy in the video rant was also correct. It is amazing how many people can be persuaded to vote against their own best interests.

Thanks - The AGE is usually right & Dave speaks the truth.

Connecting up a rotten old copper network is nonsense peddled
by Malcolm Turnbull.
Did you know that many of the copper line pits are full of water
as well as asbestos?

How can we rely on that for the next 50 years?

Virtually all the copper put down in the 1930's and 40's - the more recent stuff was substandard quality and does not provide the quoted speeds, the older copper was better. This covers many high profile suburbs

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:44am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 7:29am:
TODAY:

Labor's policies best reflect our values.

The Age has long held that policy, not personality, is the core of our democracy. It is on this basis that we advocate a vote for Labor in the federal election on Saturday. We do so fully acknowledging that the Coalition under Tony Abbott has run a disciplined and competent campaign, and that after six years of Labor government the electorate is wary and weary of Labor's infighting. Yet we cannot endorse a party that advocates policies with which we fundamentally disagree.

As our readers know, we support Labor's national broadband network strategy, its commitment to increasing the superannuation guarantee levy, its Gonski schools funding plan, and its shift from a carbon price to an emissions trading scheme. We also support the deal it forged between business and environmentalists that led to areas of Tasmania's western wilderness being added to the World Heritage Area. In our view, these programs are initiatives towards generational change. They are visionary, forward-thinking and nation-building, not gimmicks devised to meet a three-year election cycle.

Yet the Coalition would curb the scope of the NBN and defer the higher superannuation guarantee levy, despite the patent need to save as the population ages. The Coalition has failed to commit to the fifth and sixth years of funding on Gonski, the years of maximum investment, and it would claw back Tasmania's World Heritage wilderness listing.

We deplore both major parties' policies on asylum seekers but support Labor's plan to increase Australia's humanitarian intake. The Coalition would cut it. Underscoring the Coalition's heartless approach is its proposal to slice $4.5 billion from Australia's foreign aid budget. Importantly, the Coalition has back-tracked disgracefully on climate change. Its commitment to reducing Australia's carbon emissions is now precariously linked to budget affordability. Climate change has moved beyond being a moral question. It is a fundamental economic imperative.

Advertisement 

Looking ahead, neither Labor nor the Coalition has seized us with a comprehensive vision for Australia's economic direction. Both have offered sound but limited strategies, targeted to different ends. The map for the longer term, though, is missing. While the Coalition would build new roads, it shies from expanding public transport networks. We are disheartened, too, by the Coalition's vaguely defined savings plans, such as cutting 12,000 jobs from the public sector. At the same time, we are bewildered by its profligate proposals, including handing $16 million to Cadbury to update a chocolate factory. The ultimate largesse, though, is its paid parental leave scheme. It beggars belief that the Coalition, which contends the budget is in a national emergency, would happily dole out parental payments of up to $75,000 without any reference to equity and absent of any means testing.

Labor has its own clutch of opportunistic, ill-conceived policies: on northern Australia and the Garden Island naval base, for instance. On economic management it rests on its laurels, pointing to its performance through the financial crisis. It is now 2013, and recent growth has been muted by weakness in the mining sector and a widespread lack of confidence among consumers and businesses. Managing the budget back to surplus is a long-term project requiring a steady hand on revenue and savings, but it is not the be-all and end-all of economic management.

Just before the 2010 election, The Age called for a vision for this nation's future, saying neither Labor nor the Coalition had inspired voters and the campaign had been hallmarked by ''diminished expectations, small targets and vapid slogans''. Sadly, it has been the same again in 2013. Fatuous and hollow sloganeering by the Coalition has been met with jib-jab policy on the run by Labor.

On the issue of trust, the Coalition's own actions leave us with significant reservations. It has obfuscated and ducked critical issues, deliberately keeping voters uninformed about its savings plans or revenue-raising initiatives. Worse has been its breathtaking arrogance in cynically delaying until the last minute its policy costings - this, from the party that drafted the charter of budget honesty. When it comes to trusting Labor, we appreciate the public's confidence may be so undone that a change of government could prove to be a circuit-breaker, injecting a short-term sense of stability. But The Age values policies above political opportunism; we do not advocate a vote simply for the sake of change.

The Age believes in economic and social progress, in liberty and justice, in equity and compassion, and openness of government. We believe the role of government is to build a strong, fair nation for future generations, and not to pander to sectional interests. It is with these values in mind that we endorse the Labor Party in this important election.

Read more:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-age-editorial/labors-policies-best-reflect-...
[/quote]

of course, all the morons who for months have been saying papers aren't biased but just reporting it as it is, will of course be crying that this paper is biased

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:45am

Bobby quote Quote:
Rudd will have his revenge in the Senate just
like he had revenge over Gillard.

The show is not over on Saturday -
it's just the beginning

I see, Bobby

This is your new attack ---- your Plan Z, huh ?

Having realised no-one's going to be conned into voting Rudd/Labor on their non-existent attributes

You've now realised defeat and have decided to go for the final throw

by threatening us into voting a psychopath into the office of Prime Minister ?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Well, at least it's novel

But will make people all the more determined to dump Greens and Rudd cold --- end of the list

By the way, has Corporal Rudd authorised this new form of coercion?   LOL

Man -- I've heard everything now

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #63 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:49am

PZ547 wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:45am:
Bobby quote Quote:
Rudd will have his revenge in the Senate just
like he had revenge over Gillard.

The show is not over on Saturday -
it's just the beginning

I see, Bobby

This is your new attack ---- your Plan Z, huh ?

Having realised no-one's going to be conned into voting Rudd/Labor on their non-existent attributes

You've now realised defeat and have decided to go for the final throw

by threatening us into voting a psychopath into the office of Prime Minister ?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Well, at least it's novel

But will make people all the more determined to dump Greens and Rudd cold --- end of the list

By the way, has Corporal Rudd authorised this new form of coercion?   LOL

Man -- I've heard everything now

Sorry to tell you the truth.

Rudd has made sure that he can't be kicked out of the Labor leadership easily.
Why did he do it?

He knew he would lose so he's going to stuff up Tony's government.

You heard it first from Bobby.  Wink

Anyway  - gotta zip.  Grin

IP Logged

Gianna

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #64 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:51am

From when Rudd first became leader, and denigrated and blackened the name of a fine old farming family with his 'sad' story of being evicted, I distrusted him.   
To-day there's a story in the Courier Mail describing how some people have had their photos published on Rudd's election material, supposedly supporting him, yet they say they didn't say they support him.
Dishonest at the start, and dishonest at the end.
Dysfunctional and chaotic in between.    Yet, this supposedly 'intellectual' newspaper says we should vote for him!

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:51am

He'll be committed before much longer, Bobby

We'll have the distinction of having had a leader who's universally derided as insane, along with Idi Amin and Mugabe

Rudd will put us on the map

in a bad way

Will those guys in the white coats hurry up and grab him

Saw him on tv earlier looking completely mental

Actually, he looked a lot like Richard Simmons ... (edit: for those too young to remember, Richard Simmons is/was a flamingly gay exercise guru)

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:55am

Anyway, Bobby

It won't be as your threat attempts to portray it

Rudd's party will kick him to the kerb within five minutes after Libs are installed in government

Shorten and GG will rid Labor of Rudd

and you and he know that

but  nice try

Grin

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:56am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:38am:
I repeat:

we haven't heard the last from Kevin Rudd.

He will lose govt on Saturday and announce his resignation from parliament within a month.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 9:59am

Rudd's real place in the scheme of things (except he refuses to accept it)

is playing a minor role in the Coles Down Down promotions

IP Logged

True Colours
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:05am

PZ547 wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 8:01am:
There needs to be a certain cut-off point before people are allowed to vote

Those with 80 IQ points or less should be eliminated from the voter pool...

Yeah then Tony could stop appealing to them with his 3-word slogans.

'Stop the boats' - its not aimed at PhD holders and professors is it?

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:07am

True Colours wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:05am:

Nope.  It's aimed at people like you. Because Abbott knows even that would probably stretch the intellectual capabilities of your average Labor supporter

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:15am

PZ547 wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:07am:
True Colours wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:05am:

Nope.  It's aimed at people like you. Because Abbott knows even that would probably stretch the intellectual capabilities of your average Labor supporter

more likely that it is aimed at people like you ... and you fell for it like the dopey twit you are.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:17am

Smith -- again, your response if that's what it's supposed to be

belongs in a sandpit

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #73 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:20am

You simply need a voluntary voting system - thats all.

It's not rocket science.

I kid you not, honest truth - I sat outside the polling booth last time and waited for my wife to come out (I had voted in the UK election so opted out) - and heard "I just kinda put anyone, this is fked, they are all c0cks"

Now you dont need an IQ test.

In the UK we have a 39% turnout. That sits mighty fine with me.

People who want to vote and who have an interest vote. The council estates and dropouts don't vote and I dont want them to.

Why you force people to go along and vote is a nonsense.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:25am

PZ547 wrote on Sep 6th, 2013 at 10:17am:
Smith -- again, your response if that's what it's supposed to be
belongs in a sandpit

that's probably because it's correct ..... why embellish the truth?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print