Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 188
Send Topic Print
spineless apologetics (Read 348275 times)
sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: spineless apologetics
Reply #2055 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:24pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:23pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 5:39pm:
I'm sorry but you were exactly arguing that the government is driven by religion when you decided to make the stupid argument that moderate Christians are killing in the Middle East. And no, arguing that the aim of fighting in the Middle East is to maintain a white Christian hegemony is also wrong, but definitely shows your outmost delusion. No western government is religious. All western governments and societies are secular. The only reason there is any fighting against the "tinted heathens" is simply because unfortunately the "tinted heathens" have decided to embrace a screwed up religion that 1) tells them to kill those who don't follow their screwed up religion and 2) tells them they can't even live amongst each other. The problem isn't a desire to keep a "Christian hegemony".  The problem is Islam.  When will you end this spineless apologising for Islam?

100% misinterpretation of what I said. I was going to dissect it and explain it, but since all your claims about what I said here are completely wrong, its just easier to tell you to go back and reread what I said and try and understand it better.

Do you need me to highlight all the parts that you said which EXACTLY correlate to this point of view?  Happy to Smiley 

You should stop hiding your biases, gandalf. It all comes out and when it does you claim '100% misinterpretation.'  Just be honest with yourself and with us.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:32pm by sir prince duke alevine »  

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2056 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:35pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:22pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 6:36pm:
what I always find utterly hilarious is that opponents of the Iraq War, and apologetics for Islam, always ignore the crimes of the genocidal Hussein family because at least the secularists kept stability in the country and stopped insurgencies from crazy religious nutters. Do you realise that you are literally arguing a genocidal maniac who killed 2+ million was a better option than a Islamic cleric/imam leading Iraq?  So much for Islam being so wonderful.

Oh, I've always said that Saddam had to go.  It just needed the right cassis belli, rather than the lies that Bush and Co. created to justify their silly invasion of Iraq.   The best point would have been in 1991 when Bush junior's father had the opportunity but didn't take it.  Bit of a cleft stick there, caught between what the supporters of the Coalition wanted and what was best for the Iraqi people.   

Not a cleft stick, they had permission from the UN, as if that matters,  but more importantly, a coalition of middle eastern partners to kick Saddam out of Kuwait, not permission to engage in regime change and invade Iraq.  Bush Senior had a good relationship with Prince Bandar and knew what was what and what the coalition would sustain. 

None of this is mysterious but it baffles the crap out of you.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2057 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:41pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:24pm:
I'm sorry but you were exactly arguing that the government is driven by religion when you decided to make the stupid argument that moderate Christians are killing in the Middle East. And no, arguing that the aim of fighting in the Middle East is to maintain a white Christian hegemony is also wrong, but definitely shows your outmost delusion. No western government is religious. All western governments and societies are secular. The only reason there is any fighting against the "tinted heathens" is simply because unfortunately the "tinted heathens" have decided to embrace a screwed up religion that 1) tells them to kill those who don't follow their screwed up religion and 2) tells them they can't even live amongst each other. The problem isn't a desire to keep a "Christian hegemony".  The problem is Islam.  When will you end this spineless apologising for Islam?

100% misinterpretation of what I said. I was going to dissect it and explain it, but since all your claims about what I said here are completely wrong, its just easier to tell you to go back and reread what I said and try and understand it better.

Do you need me to highlight all the parts that you said which EXACTLY correlate to this point of view?  Happy to Smiley 

Please do.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2058 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:44pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:41pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:24pm:

Please do.

Reply 1926
Reply 2043

The fact you think that it's the "Christian hegemony" that Keeps the "tinted races" in their current state is hilarious.

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2059 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:50pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
what I always find utterly hilarious is that opponents of the Iraq War, and apologetics for Islam, always ignore the crimes of the genocidal Hussein family because at least the secularists kept stability in the country and stopped insurgencies from crazy religious nutters. Do you realise that you are literally arguing a genocidal maniac who killed 2+ million was a better option than a Islamic cleric/imam leading Iraq?  So much for Islam being so wonderful.

Oh, I've always said that Saddam had to go.  It just needed the right cassis belli, rather than the lies that Bush and Co. created to justify their silly invasion of Iraq.   The best point would have been in 1991 when Bush junior's father had the opportunity but didn't take it.  Bit of a cleft stick there, caught between what the supporters of the Coalition wanted and what was best for the Iraqi people.   

Not a cleft stick, they had permission from the UN, as if that matters,  but more importantly, a coalition of middle eastern partners to kick Saddam out of Kuwait, not permission to engage in regime change and invade Iraq.  Bush Senior had a good relationship with Prince Bandar and knew what was what and what the coalition would sustain. 

Out of a matter of interest can you quote to me the Security Council resolution that allowed for the toppling of Saddam Hussein from the presidency of Iraq?  I'd like to know it.  Of course, failure to do so indicates what about your claims?

In reality, the UN Security Council resolutions called for Iraq to vacate Kuwait and if necessary for the US coalition to use force to bring it about, nothing more.  They did not call for regime change or other matters.   The US decided to refrain from regime change because Saudi Arabia and Syria, key US allies in the fight against Iraq didn't want a democratically elected government to be instituted in Iraq which would call into question their monarchy and dictatorship.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2060 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 6:10pm:
Oh geeze, Brian tried this apologist stupidity declaring that Iraq was a Christian war trying to invoke images of the crusades and religious domination.

Which just goes to show what an unthinking tool he is. 

Any intelligent assessment of the second Iraq war would know it was a misguided and ill thought out quest by Bush in thrall to Rumsfeld and Cheney to leverage a state recalcitrant with weapons inspections post 9/11 into fears of a mushroom cloud which left open a quick and easy invasion of Iraq.

They envisaged this would be easy, and it was, and would leave them as welcome liberators on a lake of oil in the middle of the Middle East and a counter weight to Iran.  A state that post Saddam would be grateful and welcome to direction as to its government.

Might have worked out as well if not for ham fisted Debaathication by Bremer.

It's all out there, no need to go to stupid bullshit that it was Christians against Muslims in pursuit of religious dominance.   

So why did Mr Bush use the term crusade to describe his invasion? Why did Mr Bush use plenty of Christian images and symbols to sell the "premptive" invasion of a sovereign country to the Bible Belt? Why did he team up with another Christian leader, Tony Blair, and invite Mr Blair to join him in prayer?

That's right - Mr Bush is a Christian. No one can get elected to the US presidency without at least pretending.

The biggest attack on Obama, remember, was that he was a Muslim.

And tinted.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2061 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:50pm:

Out of a matter of interest can you quote to me the Security Council resolution that allowed for the toppling of Saddam Hussein from the presidency of Iraq?  I'd like to know it.  Of course, failure to do so indicates what about your claims?

Out of a matter of interest can you quote to me what I wrote that led you to think I said anything like that.

I reread what I wrote and nothing says anything like that.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2062 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:57pm:

Out of a matter of interest can you quote to me what I wrote that led you to think I said anything like that.

Oh, dear, you are rather blind, aren't you? "they had permission from the UN".  "Permission" must come from a UN Security Council resolution, that is the only "permission" the UN can provide to armed conflict.   So, which resolution was it?  Which number?  When was it debated and who voted on it?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2063 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:11pm

what I always find utterly hilarious is that opponents of the Iraq War, and apologetics for Islam, always ignore the crimes of the genocidal Hussein family because at least the secularists kept stability in the country and stopped insurgencies from crazy religious nutters.

Good point, Alevine. Mr Bush's daddy did this. He had US forces put down revolts of Shia militias. Keeping Saddam in place was the policy.

US foreign policy debate in Bush's first term veered between "pragmatism" and "moralism": Kissenger's framework of mutual interdence versus Wilson's US exceptionalism.

All an attempt to excuse an invasion that, as Brian points out, was not approved by the UN, and as such, illegal.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2064 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:16pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:57pm:
Oh geeze, Brian tried this apologist stupidity declaring that Iraq was a Christian war trying to invoke images of the crusades and religious domination.

Any intelligent assessment of the second Iraq war would know it was a misguided and ill thought out quest by Bush in thrall to Rumsfeld and Cheney to leverage a state recalcitrant with weapons inspections post 9/11 into fears of a mushroom cloud which left open a quick and easy invasion of Iraq.

They envisaged this would be easy, and it was, and would leave them as welcome liberators on a lake of oil in the middle of the Middle East and a counter weight to Iran.  A state that post Saddam would be grateful and welcome to direction as to its government.

It's all out there, no need to go to stupid bullshit that it was Christians against Muslims in pursuit of religious dominance.   

So why did Mr Bush use the term crusade to describe his invasion? Why did Mr Bush use plenty of Christian images and symbols to sell the "premptive" invasion of a sovereign country to the Bible Belt? Why did he team up with another Christian leader, Tony Blair, and invite Mr Blair to join him in prayer?

The US didn't go to war for religious reasons, it went for good old secular and uncomplicated reasons of power and self interest. 

You and Brian should do some reading instead of trying to fit reality to your particular apologist mindset.  I recommend Bush at War, Hubris, A Soldiers Way by Powell and Crusade which describes how much care was taken to accomodate Muslim sensibilities.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2065 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:23pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:01pm:

Oh, dear, you are rather blind, aren't you? "they had permission from the UN".  "Permission" must come from a UN Security Council resolution, that is the only "permission" the UN can provide to armed conflict.   So, which resolution was it?  Which number?  When was it debated and who voted on it?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

You idiot, read them whole sentence, it is perfectly accurate and not at all difficult to understand,

"they had permission from the UN, as if that matters,  but more importantly, a coalition of middle eastern partners to kick Saddam out of Kuwait, not permission to engage in regime change and invade Iraq."

They did have permission from the UN, there was a coalition, that coalition included Middle Eastern Countries which would have collapsed if invasion and regime change was attempted.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2066 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:27pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:16pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:57pm:

The US didn't go to war for religious reasons, it went for good old secular and uncomplicated reasons of power and self interest. 

Very true - just as the Saudis and Iranians aren't clamouring for global influence for religious reasons.

You've described this phenomenon very well: the uncomplicated reasons of power and self-interest.

Thanks for the book tips.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2067 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:44pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:23pm:

You idiot, read them whole sentence, it is perfectly accurate and not at all difficult to understand,

"they had permission from the UN, as if that matters,  but more importantly, a coalition of middle eastern partners to kick Saddam out of Kuwait, not permission to engage in regime change and invade Iraq."

They did have permission from the UN, there was a coalition, that coalition included Middle Eastern Countries which would have collapsed if invasion and regime change was attempted.

The Coalition was an exercise in arse-covering. The invasion of Iraq was completely illegal, as the long-awaited judicial British report into Iraq pointed out.

The US established a dangerous precedence. Putin is now crowing that his entry into the Ukraine - unlike the invasion of Iraq - was legal. Putin was invited by his Ukrainian puppet leader to provide "security" - just as the South Vietnamese government invited the US into Vietnam.

The illegal invasion of Iraq was hardly unprecedented, but it was a very public snub to the rule of law, or treaty law to be exact. Today, all a rogue leader has to do is reference the invasion of Iraq as a justification for whatever invasion they feel like doing.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2068 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:53pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:44pm:

The Coalition was an exercise in arse-covering. The invasion of Iraq was completely illegal, as the long-awaited judicial British report into Iraq pointed out.

The US established a dangerous precedence. Putin is now crowing that his entry into the Ukraine - unlike the invasion of Iraq - was legal. Putin was invited by his Ukrainian puppet leader to provide "security" - just as the South Vietnamese government invited the US into Vietnam.

The illegal invasion of Iraq was hardly unprecedented, but it was a very public snub to the rule of law, or treaty law to be exact. Today, all a rogue leader has to do is reference the invasion of Iraq as a justification for whatever invasion they feel like doing.

I was responding to Brian's cleft stick statement in which he was referring to the expulsion of Iraq from Kuwait, I suggest you both go back and reread what I posted and what it was in reponse to, hell I even mentioned cleft stick and it was directly under his post. 

I have highlighted it above to further assist th comprehension challenged.  Roll Eyes

I even mentioned Bush Senior, sheesh,  Roll Eyes also I suggest both you dills Google Prince Bandar you both might learn something. 

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2069 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:00pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:53pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:44pm:

I was responding to Brian's cleft stick statement in which he was referring to the expulsion of Iraq from Kuwait, I suggest you both go back and reread what I posted and what it was in reponse to, hell I even mentioned cleft stick and it was directly under his post. 

I have highlighted it above to further assist th comprehension challenged.  Roll Eyes

I even mentioned Bush Senior, sheesh,  Roll Eyes also I suggest both you dills Google Prince Bandar you both might learn something. 

Good-o. Your use of the term "coalition" fooled me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 188
Send Topic Print