Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A very funny book (Read 5703 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

A very funny book
Nov 16th, 2013 at 8:20am

which I've just read for the 2nd time is "The Matchmaker of Perigord" by Julia Stuart.
It might be a bit hard to find, I only found it by accident in a 2nd hand shop.
It's a bit hard to describe, but it's about "a village so ugly even the English refuse to live there" and some of its bizarre inhabitants.
I was so taken with it the first time that I wrote a fan letter to the author, not something I'd ever done before (not surprising seeing most of the authors I read are dead). And I was amazed to get a nice email in reply.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A very funny book
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:03pm

Funny books?  Can't go past Pratchett.  Reading the latest, "Raising Steam" at the moment.  "Mr. Dripping"!  Brilliant!   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 9:34pm

|dev|null wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:03pm:
   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

You are very even tempered, aren't you? No matter what you say, it all has the same laffing, swivel eyed mood to it. A bit sickly and odd, no?

Are you unwell? Speaking about it can make a difference, you know. Talk about it, you'll feel better.

I read a book about this once, lunatics being unaware of their affliction.  You remind me of that book. It was both funny and sad.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 11:29pm

Smiley
ahhhhh humor   Smiley

I admit my own particular 'humor' is unique.. I think most people have unique 'humor'... 

..we are really only comfortable with humor if it gels with our own uniqueness.
Of course we change over time..  I know that something I detested 20 yrs ago, now makes me chuckle.

Humor evolves with us, as we go thru life.

Those who adore asinine  Smiley antics  (ahh alliteration) are actually adolescent aholes..   Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2013 at 12:41pm

The Best of Beachcomber. (The TV series World of Beachcomber with Spike Milligan was brilliant too)

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 8:51am

I read a very sweet book many many years ago it was lent to me by a lady on a ship we were travelling on to England..have no idea what it was called but it was about a quaint English village and one family in particular

but the author described these meals.. now the way he/she did it made you feel as if you were sitting at the table enjoying every mouthful..it was an amazing book.. I havent seen food described like it again..you could see it smell it and taste it.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 10:00am

P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves books. 

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 10:06am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2013 at 8:20am:
which I've just read for the 2nd time is "The Matchmaker of Perigord" by Julia Stuart.
It might be a bit hard to find, I only found it by accident in a 2nd hand shop.
It's a bit hard to describe, but it's about "a village so ugly even the English refuse to live there" and some of its bizarre inhabitants.
I was so taken with it the first time that I wrote a fan letter to the author, not something I'd ever done before (not surprising seeing most of the authors I read are dead). And I was amazed to get a nice email in reply.

12 bucks, delivered to your door:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Matchmaker-Perigord-Julia-Stuart/9780552773638

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:12am

dare I say,,
nearly any Janet Evanovich tale about
the feral female bountyhunter, at al. 
what's her name again .. oh yeah

Stephanie Plum.   Smiley

sorry it is American.. 
in ..fact.. probably couldn't find a more American series.

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 9:32am

Soren wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 10:00am:
P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves books. 

Agree

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 1:15pm

Soren wrote on Nov 27th, 2013 at 9:34pm:
   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

You are very even tempered, aren't you? No matter what you say, it all has the same laffing, swivel eyed mood to it. A bit sickly and odd, no?

Are you unwell? Speaking about it can make a difference, you know. Talk about it, you'll feel better.

I read a book about this once, lunatics being unaware of their affliction.  You remind me of that book. It was both funny and sad.

If you can't see the joke mate, you need to think a bit less.  Your problem Soren is that you wear your antipathy to life on your sleeve and have to make us all look at it, all the time.   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 8:53pm

OK OK  for another ..recommend anything by Carl Hiaasen ..talk about the ultimate drop out..  these are excellent.

Anti-est. hero par excellence..  Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 9:20pm

|dev|null wrote on Dec 5th, 2013 at 1:15pm:

Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Anyway, I am trying to think of other funny books but cannot come up with anything better than P.G. Wodehouse's.

For those who are unfamiliar with him, here's a very good introduction to him by the late Christopher Hitchens, from The Atlantic:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/11/the-honorable-schoolboy/3035...
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2013 at 9:33pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 10:44am

Not related to books but anyway . . .

Marty Feldman: "I could have been anything . . .I could have driven a poof-poof"

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2013 at 2:21pm

|dev|null wrote on Dec 5th, 2013 at 1:15pm:
Your problem Soren is that you wear your antipathy to life on your sleeve and have to make us all look at it, all the time.   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Titto, old girl,  you are ridiculously self-conceited, like most tendentious, preening progs, to imagine that antipathy towards you is antipathy towards life itself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print