Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Changing Beers... OMG! (Read 9029 times)
Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Re: Changing Beers... OMG!
Reply #30 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:07am

I love going into a British supermarket and looking at all the varieties of British beer there are.  There are so many varieties of British beer (some of them centuries old) that it's difficult to choose which one to try out.

I love Spitfire cask conditioned Kentish ale.  It was first brewed by Kent brewer Shepherd Neame (founded in 1698) in 1990 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain (the beer is nicknamed "The Bottle of Britain") .  The brand is promoted by award-winning World War II-themed advertising such as the one below, featuring comedy duo Armstrong (also known to millions in Britain as the presenter of popular BBC gameshow Pointless) and Miller.

Other Shepherd Neame beers are:

Bishop's Finger: a cask-conditioned ale brewed to a traditional Kentish recipe, it is also exported in bottles to more than 30 countries worldwide;

Master Brew: the brewery's bestselling cask ale in Kent. It is brewed using only Kentish barley and hops, and is a distinctive, mid-brown bitter ale best known in the brewery's Kentish heartland;

Early Bird Spring Hop: brewed with the Early Bird single hop variety. This light-gold beer is full-bodied, distinctive, with a malty undertone. It is seasonally available, from February to May, inclusive;

Goldings Summer Hop Ale: a light flavoured bitter made with Kentish malt and fresh Goldings hops harvested within five miles of the brewery. The beer is almost floral-scented, with a biscuity taste. It is seasonally available, from June to August;

Late Red Autumn Hop Ale: a complex, richly flavoured autumn hop ale. With an autumnal auburn hue, this premium beer achieves a balance between rich, dark malt flavours, and a strong, robust hoppiness. The brew is seasonally available, from September to November;

Original Porter: a dark London-style Porter brewed in the winter and available from November to February;

Whitstable Bay: Organic Ale which has an elegant, light flavour and is backed by the traditionally farmed, English malted barley and organic hops from New Zealand, which fuse to produce a bittersweet flavour with floral overtones and a dry finish. Its label states it is approved by the Soil Association and the Vegetarian Society.

Another good set of English beers are those brewed at the Wychwood Brewery in David Cameron's constituency of Witney in Oxfordshire.

Wychwood Brewery produces around 50,000 barrels (8,200,000 litres) of cask ale each year, and is the United Kingdom's largest brewer of organic ales. Wychwood filtered and bottled beers are exported all over the world, including the United States, Canada, Sweden, France, Australia, Russia, Japan, Israel and Singapore.

The brewery is noted for its intricate, fantasy-based label artwork, inspired by the myths and legends surrounding the ancient mediaeval Wych Wood Forest.

The Wychwood beer I like the best is Hobgoblin - "full bodied and well balanced with a chocolate toffee malt flavour, moderate bitterness and a distinctive fruity character with a ruby red glow". It was the first bottled beer in the UK to feature an illustrated label, as opposed to a simple text-based one, and it is currently the 5th best-selling bottled ale in the UK.

Their other beers King Goblin ("only brewed on a full moon"), Scarecrow, Goliath and Wychcraft. 

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:25am by Cofgod »  

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #31 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:24am

Double post.

I haven't been drinking by the way.  Not yet anyway.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #32 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:37pm

Speight's Dark from the South Island of NZ..... fine drop.

The ad they had was good - farmer dad and son sitting, son saying he might move to the city to be with his long-legged lovely etc... finally decides he'd better stay where the Speight's is brewed... wise move.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:36pm

Cofgod wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:07am:
I love going into a British supermarket and looking at all the varieties of British beer there are.  There are so many varieties of British beer (some of them centuries old) that it's difficult to choose which one to try out.

I love Spitfire cask conditioned Kentish ale.  It was first brewed by Kent brewer Shepherd Neame (founded in 1698) in 1990 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain (the beer is nicknamed "The Bottle of Britain") .  The brand is promoted by award-winning World War II-themed advertising such as the one below, featuring comedy duo Armstrong (also known to millions in Britain as the presenter of popular BBC gameshow Pointless) and Miller.

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/carousel/public/carousel...

Other Shepherd Neame beers are:

http://lovealbatross.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/bf4.jpg

Bishop's Finger: a cask-conditioned ale brewed to a traditional Kentish recipe, it is also exported in bottles to more than 30 countries worldwide;

Master Brew: the brewery's bestselling cask ale in Kent. It is brewed using only Kentish barley and hops, and is a distinctive, mid-brown bitter ale best known in the brewery's Kentish heartland;

Early Bird Spring Hop: brewed with the Early Bird single hop variety. This light-gold beer is full-bodied, distinctive, with a malty undertone. It is seasonally available, from February to May, inclusive;

Goldings Summer Hop Ale: a light flavoured bitter made with Kentish malt and fresh Goldings hops harvested within five miles of the brewery. The beer is almost floral-scented, with a biscuity taste. It is seasonally available, from June to August;

Late Red Autumn Hop Ale: a complex, richly flavoured autumn hop ale. With an autumnal auburn hue, this premium beer achieves a balance between rich, dark malt flavours, and a strong, robust hoppiness. The brew is seasonally available, from September to November;

Original Porter: a dark London-style Porter brewed in the winter and available from November to February;

Whitstable Bay: Organic Ale which has an elegant, light flavour and is backed by the traditionally farmed, English malted barley and organic hops from New Zealand, which fuse to produce a bittersweet flavour with floral overtones and a dry finish. Its label states it is approved by the Soil Association and the Vegetarian Society.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_F18sSDu5OXk/TPPf6ilhL6I/AAAAAAAABcs/WjEMqzGVhRY/s1600/...

Another good set of English beers are those brewed at the Wychwood Brewery in David Cameron's constituency of Witney in Oxfordshire.

Wychwood Brewery produces around 50,000 barrels (8,200,000 litres) of cask ale each year, and is the United Kingdom's largest brewer of organic ales. Wychwood filtered and bottled beers are exported all over the world, including the United States, Canada, Sweden, France, Australia, Russia, Japan, Israel and Singapore.

The brewery is noted for its intricate, fantasy-based label artwork, inspired by the myths and legends surrounding the ancient mediaeval Wych Wood Forest.

http://bythepint.com/sites/default/files/images/wychwood-hobgoblin-beer-review.p...

The Wychwood beer I like the best is Hobgoblin - "full bodied and well balanced with a chocolate toffee malt flavour, moderate bitterness and a distinctive fruity character with a ruby red glow". It was the first bottled beer in the UK to feature an illustrated label, as opposed to a simple text-based one, and it is currently the 5th best-selling bottled ale in the UK.

Their other beers King Goblin ("only brewed on a full moon"), Scarecrow, Goliath and Wychcraft. 

http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/wychwood-king-goblin.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/8f/74/f8/the-wychwood-brewery....

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/public/downloads/wallpaper/wp-taste.jpg

excellent post... I wouldn't mind a Bishops Finger myself...

Grin

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:39pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:37pm:

The ad they had was good - farmer dad and son sitting, son saying he might move to the city to be with his long-legged lovely etc... finally decides he'd better stay where the Speight's is brewed... wise move.

I didn't mind a Lion Red when I was over in NZ some years back...

while in Brazil I didn't mind the beer in the Red and Yellow labelled bottles... not the green one... wasn't so good... don't know what it said on the bottles either  Tongue

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:54pm

True Blue... wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:39pm:

while in Brazil I didn't mind the beer in the Red and Yellow labelled bottles... not the green one... wasn't so good... don't know what it said on the bottles either  Tongue

The kid's mother - a Kiwi - said Lion was Maori's beer... didn't like it much.  Had some Maori guys buying me beer during a Bledisloe Cup match - I was the only Aussie in the bar and they thought I was a great pet... I picked first try scorer at about 23:1... they thought I knew the game, but only ever played one international... that was a kid's game, too...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:09pm

Cofgod wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:07am:
...  comedy duo Armstrong and Miller.

Very funny guys.

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 8:18pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:54pm:

The kid's mother - a Kiwi - said Lion was Maori's beer... didn't like it much.  Had some Maori guys buying me beer during a Bledisloe Cup match - I was the only Aussie in the bar and they thought I was a great pet... I picked first try scorer at about 23:1... they thought I knew the game, but only ever played one international... that was a kid's game, too...

in 1978 you could drink Lion Red and if lucky enough win a Toyota Corona...

that was like winning a Rolls Royce in NZ

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 6:35pm

Sure was!  I had a five year old Hiace van, 1984, and it was considered a great machine for NZ....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 6:44pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:54pm:

That's right... heard Lion Red draught beer was bloody awful........ don't have kegs of it......... it comes round in a tanker truck & is pumped into underground tanks at the pub ...... just like fuel at a servo. Might explain the taste Grin

Want to have a back yard booze up .... it comes round in a mini tanker with temp-rite.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #40 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 6:57pm

Don’t like the Hobgoblin—way too much crystal malt. By the time the ale hits our shore the crystal malt has gone from toffee to a nasty edge. I never use crystal malt in my brews at all.

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 7:44pm

When my series of hostels is organised - a cellar with Guinness kegs - for the genuine illuminati , and some wine for the sheilas.... might do a little home brewing again... bookings in from the US and England already....

― John Adams

IP Logged

DPW

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 12:56am

My favourite beer at the moment: 4 Pines Kolsch - no artificial flavours, additives or preservatives (or hangovers, for me...yet). And great for a summer arvo!

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:11pm

Well,

im so angry I could spit...  Angry

trying to find Cascade Pale Ale on the main land can be a bit of a chore...

but when you find out that they have just dropped the number of stubbies in a Carton, back to 16 stubby carton of beer, but retained the same price as a 24 stubby pack, its all I can do not to fly back down to Tasmania Cascade Brewery and punch one of those CEO's square in the face...  Angry

same price less 8 stubbies... fricken thieves..  Angry

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:59pm

True Blue... wrote on Feb 5th, 2014 at 7:11pm:
Well,

im so angry I could spit...  Angry

trying to find Cascade Pale Ale on the main land can be a bit of a chore...

but when you find out that they have just dropped the number of stubbies in a Carton, back to 16 stubby carton of beer, but retained the same price as a 24 stubby pack, its all I can do not to fly back down to Tasmania Cascade Brewery and punch one of those CEO's square in the face...  Angry

same price less 8 stubbies... fricken thieves..  Angry

WHAT?  That's cause for war on Tasmania!  There's no such thing as a 'slab' of sixteen!

Bloody Tasmanian convict stock - steal the froth of yer beer they would....

Steal the hangover off the top of yer head while ye're sleeping it off?  Bloody pirates!

Pirates Of The Tasman - Thirsty Man's Half Chest.

Oh - the secret of whiskey is aging it in oak casks..... not in the bottle - doesn't age in the bottle - metho.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print