Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Melbourne Cyclist Doored by Taxi Passenger (Read 10141 times)
miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Melbourne Cyclist Doored by Taxi Passenger
Reply #150 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:50am

Hey TG you could go here
http://veloink.com/

Everytime you score you put another sticker on the side of your van.

Is your van a Toyota, the bike riders could say "Oh what a feeling" as they crash to the ground.

(no bike riders were hurt during the production of this post)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #151 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:44am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:10am:
Its just common sense to look before you open a car door or cross a street (even a one way street). Its even common sense to look before walking out of a building into a crowded footpath. Seriously - why not just look first?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised that the passenger did look. But your peripheral vision can only do so much, and you wouldn't expect to have some cyclist riding in the gutter. I'm satisfied the passenger wasn't liable.

I rode my mountain bike through a shopping center car park at no considerable excessive speed. An old lady and her daughter decided to walk out onto the road without even a hint that they were looking either way for traffic. They got in my way, and I made the decision to ride behind them (thus giving both a bit of a scare). The younger lady exclaimed dismissively "Kids on bikes...". I swear, I must have been (at 25 years of age then) the oldest and biggest looking kid ever since the time Dad discovered Mario Bros on nintendo. I was going to go back and give a piece of my mind to the apparent senile ladies, but I would assume that it would have fallen on deaf ears.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:51am by UnSubRocky »  

At this stage...
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Rockhampton
Reply #152 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:50am

(double post)

At this stage...
IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #153 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:32am

ian wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 8:02pm:
True Blue... wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:20pm:
[

who on earth looks for traffic when getting out the left side of a car?  Roll Eyes

anyone who isnt an idiot?. what about pedestrians? Why wouldnt you look?

What makes you think the passenger didn't look out the window before he got out? Most people do glance first, but what he didn't do is swivel his head and look behind the taxi, for the simple reason he wasn't expecting moving traffic coming along on the kerb side.

ian wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 8:04pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:34pm:
ian wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:01pm:
whats wrong with some of you people? Of course you look before opening the car door regardless which side you are getting out. And the idiot who caused the accident just walked away.

Most people do not expect to have to be looking BEHIND when they are opening the door against a kerb, ian -  It's one thing to look outisde the door - but what sane person would expect someone to try to push a bicycle up such a narrow non-lane against a gutter when a cab has just stopped?

Al Capone got twenty years for tax EVASION - just because the Guv here merely takes it out of your hide without prosecuting you doesn't mean it's legal..

it wasnt against a kerb. If it was the cyclist wouldnt have got doored. You people just make stuff up to suit your argument. The taxi passenger was in the wrong.

It was pretty darn close to that kerb!! I saw it on TV and I think any passenger in a car would have looked out and assumed it was kerbside. I have seen plenty of cars parked that far out from a kerb. Just because a cyclist could squeeze past doesn't mean the passenger was expecting one to. Most people wouldn't.
The cyclist could have used a little bit of initiative here. She was behind the parked taxi so she could definitely see it. If you saw a taxi pulled over, with people inside, (or any car with people inside) and you were hoping to ride past within much less than a metre of the car, would you not slow down, just in case?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #154 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:39am

sherri wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:32am:
[

who on earth looks for traffic when getting out the left side of a car?  Roll Eyes

What makes you think the passenger didn't look out the window before he got out? Most people do glance first, but what he didn't do is swivel his head and look behind the taxi, for the simple reason he wasn't expecting moving traffic coming along on the kerb side.

whats wrong with some of you people? Of course you look before opening the car door regardless which side you are getting out. And the idiot who caused the accident just walked away.

Most people do not expect to have to be looking BEHIND when they are opening the door against a kerb, ian -  It's one thing to look outisde the door - but what sane person would expect someone to try to push a bicycle up such a narrow non-lane against a gutter when a cab has just stopped?

Al Capone got twenty years for tax EVASION - just because the Guv here merely takes it out of your hide without prosecuting you doesn't mean it's legal..

it wasnt against a kerb. If it was the cyclist wouldnt have got doored. You people just make stuff up to suit your argument. The taxi passenger was in the wrong.

It was pretty darn close to that kerb!! I saw it on TV and I think any passenger in a car would have looked out and assumed it was kerbside. I have seen plenty of cars parked that far out from a kerb. Just because a cyclist could squeeze past doesn't mean the passenger was expecting one to. Most people wouldn't.
The cyclist could have used a little bit of initiative here. She was behind the parked taxi so she could definitely see it. If you saw a taxi pulled over, with people inside, (or any car with people inside) and you were hoping to ride past within much less than a metre of the car, would you not slow down, just in case?

How much time do you think the cyclist had to assess the situation? They thought they were in the bicycle lane so why would anything like that happen?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #155 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:55am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:39am:
[

How much time do you think the cyclist had to assess the situation? They thought they were in the bicycle lane so why would anything like that happen?

SOB

It turns out she thought wrong though, didn't she? It wasn't a dedicated bike lane as such. And why wouldn't she be aware that such things can happen?
How much time did she have to assess the situation? Well, taxi drivers are usually paid once they pull over, so I would say it had to be at least several seconds.
If you are a bike rider and in the city, you would need to be extra alert for traffic, that is just the reality of it. What you are implying is that because she thought she was in a bike lane, she felt she could continue on without slackening pace. In the same way, the passenger thought he was in a safe place, next to the kerb.
She saw them but didn't think to slow down or practice any caution, so she needs to shoulder some blame.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #156 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:07am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/bmw-worker-sparks-fury-after-suggestin...

Have posted this link only because there is video footage not related to the article heading and may be useful for those not familiar with the area where the incident occurred.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #157 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:50am

Kat wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
Gnads wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:13pm:
Alinta wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 1:22pm:

Yes.......concede I should have included that in my previous post.

Quote:
Of course you look before opening the car door regardless which side you are getting out.

Yes for other pedestrians maybe not a bike rider.

If she had been riding down the footpath toward or from behind me & I heard/saw her coming I'd be tempted to coat hanger her off her bike.  Angry

Anyone who tried that on with me would want to know a proctologist and a good orthodontist.

And a lawyer.

Really? If I coat hangered you off your bike you wouldn't be doing much. Now the orthodontist may be something you'd need & I'd expect you'd consult a Lawyer...... But the proctologist is a worrying aspect....... Are you that way inclined?  Grin

That aside I think ignorant bike riders on busy footpaths in the
CBD all deserve coat hangering. Just like that Sheila deserved to be doored.

If she was road conscious then she should have been prepared for such an event going up the inside.

Hypothetical....If they bought the 1 mtr rule in like proposed for QLD.... Who would be in breach then?
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:57am by Gnads »  

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #158 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:04am

[

SOB

I get it - if you ride in a bicycle lane which is against the gutter and a cab pulls over, you just assume that you have right of way over a mass of steel opening in your face?

And you are entitled to simply throw all caution and reason to the winds and say - "But I'm in the bike lane!"

So the next time a passing semi blows three tyres and is forced to swing to the side of the road - you refuse to give way....

That's brilliant Rube....

It seems to me that the problem is that cyclists do not wish to share the road and want it run to suit them only - unfortunately the world doesn't run that way...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #159 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:35am

If you see the vision, the cab didn't pull over, it indicated at the same time as the door swung open. It remained clearly in the line of traffic - so very much a mixed message to the cyclist.

To me, the cab occupants made a snap decision to exit, and they didn't expect or see the cyclist. Unfortunate but the cab occupants have erred. And they know it, one at least has fronted up and apologised.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #160 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:38am

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:44am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 4:10am:
Its just common sense to look before you open a car door or cross a street (even a one way street). Its even common sense to look before walking out of a building into a crowded footpath. Seriously - why not just look first?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised that the passenger did look. But your peripheral vision can only do so much, and you wouldn't expect to have some cyclist riding in the gutter. I'm satisfied the passenger wasn't liable.

I rode my mountain bike through a shopping center car park at no considerable excessive speed. An old lady and her daughter decided to walk out onto the road without even a hint that they were looking either way for traffic. They got in my way, and I made the decision to ride behind them (thus giving both a bit of a scare). The younger lady exclaimed dismissively "Kids on bikes...". I swear, I must have been (at 25 years of age then) the oldest and biggest looking kid ever since the time Dad discovered Mario Bros on nintendo. I was going to go back and give a piece of my mind to the apparent senile ladies, but I would assume that it would have fallen on deaf ears.

Actually i'd be expecting cyclists everywhere. Its normal, people ride bikes, they ain't riding camels or something  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #161 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:43am

Rider wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:35am:
If you see the vision, the cab didn't pull over, it indicated at the same time as the door swung open. It remained clearly in the line of traffic - so very much a mixed message to the cyclist.

To me, the cab occupants made a snap decision to exit, and they didn't expect or see the cyclist. Unfortunate but the cab occupants have erred. And they know it, one at least has fronted up and apologised.

Sounds reasonable - people often make a snap judgement and don't anticipate such things as a cyclist right there.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #162 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:01am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:04am:
[

SOB

I get it - if you ride in a bicycle lane which is against the gutter and a cab pulls over, you just assume that you have right of way over a mass of steel opening in your face?

And you are entitled to simply throw all caution and reason to the winds and say - "But I'm in the bike lane!"

So the next time a passing semi blows three tyres and is forced to swing to the side of the road - you refuse to give way....

That's brilliant Rube....

It seems to me that the problem is that cyclists do not wish to share the road and want it run to suit them only - unfortunately the world doesn't run that way...

http://codgerville.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/lastgreatactofdefiance-1.gif

Well actually it does since the cyclist was technically in the right and the person from the cab in the wrong according to our laws. So which world were you referring to "rube" . . . . .?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #163 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:17am

Well - it was not a bike lane and there are multiple factors at work here - which points to a need to change 'laws' in this case.

Opening a door facing a gutter is not a situation in which that door is not opened safely - every person has a reasonable expectation that such a situation is safe.

This is where 'laws' come unstuck - they seek to cover all situations where many arise in which they clearly cannot do so.

Multiple factors:-

the rider failed to keep a safe lookout

failed to ride defensively taking into account the situation

the occupant did not look behind

multiple factors are in play...

I'll try this:-

Last year I was driving on a narrow windy dirt road - and was VERY careful - since I did not know the road - to keep well to the left on corners.  sure enough - a local lad in a red ute (is there any other kind?) came howling around one blind corner on the wrong side of the road - and only because of my careful prior consideration of that possibility and my fast reactions was I able to head into the 'gutter' - 'go bush' to avoid a headon at considerable speed.

It's called situational awareness - and is something that bike riders should be taught before they are licensed..... as they so obviously need to be.  Anticipate - be in front of your aircraft at all times - not playing catch-up - and always assume the other person is dumb.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #164 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:19am

Sorry for the 'rube' comment - I just like poking a finger atcha sometimes...

Forgiven?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print