Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 95
Send Topic Print
Rolf facing the music (Read 107792 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: Rolf facing the music
Reply #375 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 7:48pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 5:45am:
Dearest Emma,

When did I say anything of the kind?

"The Saville Case has opened , boy has it opened , some pretty yuk  cans of worms.
The fact that this has enabled these women to speak up,  should not becondemned by you..  it should be embraced."

I merely look at the evidence offered to date and the requirements of Law as opposed to 'law' that seems to suggest that a complainant has some right to have a claim accepted without proof and in the face of contradictory evidence (one witness' own diary of the day  an attack was alleged), often of a substantial or at least equal nature (such as Rolf Harris' daughter and 180 degrees opposite testimony) - and point out the very real danger of 'guilt by accusation' and 'condemnation by accusation'.

After a period of years memories are not always accurate, and we retain at least some vestige of 'benefit of the doubt' and the requirement for an accuser to prove a case beyond any reasonable doubt.

I, for one, am simply not in a position to know the mind of the witnesses, but I find it bizarre that all these apparently public episodes in front of other people occurred, and yet remained unnoticed, and on top of that the primary case seems to be a sexual relationship direct - a pretty normal event for those over a certain age - and with a difference of opinion over the age and time at which this started, and how consensual it was.

Where are the media/entertainment etc people present or involved in or near an episode or 'in the know' who 'covered it up'?  Are they flooding forward to say they knew all along but said nothing?  Surely not all would be so in fear of their job etc now as to not come forward?  Surely there are many who would now come forward and offer substantial evidence rather than 'he had a reputation'.

As the late 'Hurrcane' Carter said :-  "I'm doing three consecutive life terms for murder - not for attempted adultery."  He meant that reputation has nothing to do with facts.. pretty simple really... and let me again point out that the Supreme Court here requires that an 'expert opinion' must be supported by fact proven and provable.  Red should know that if properly set in place this would cause 90% of police accusations to be thrown out of court, since 90% of 'cases' are purely on the version of events of police without substantial corroboration.  As an aside here - the number of complaints of assault BY police is significantly lower in police stations and near vehicles covered by CCTV......... (**lets that one hang out there for you all to understand).............

'Reputations' can be built on anything.... and one thing you can guarantee about people is they will not accept a story unless it is juicy and shows the person discussed in a poor light - we need to be wary of that.  Is it not bizarre that many women these days feel that they were 'oppressed' in the past through having to abide by social standards that were placed on them by near-unspoken and 'general society' "rules" and being criticised and condemned for breaches of those 'rules' - yet these same women now demand that similar "rules" be applied at their whim when they "feel" another's reputation warrants it, and the unspoken rule should be 'guilty by accusation if the accuser is a woman'?

Sorry - this has nothing to do with 'courageous women coming forward' - it has everything to do with Law and its requirements - and whether or not we should even contemplate lowering the value of evidence when the complainant is of one gender rather than the other.

The Law (and law, legislation and regulation) has little enough genuine protection for an accused as it is, and those protections provided are more proven in the abuse than in the keeping as it is - and I'm sorry to say that the very thin protection currently provided will not be thinned ever further to encompass some semi-religious, Delphic oracular, 'feminist' idea of women's oppression and rights.

THAT is why I say Harris will most likely walk - the evidence is simply not compelling, and if convicted by an emotionally driven jury, that is why I say he will win on appeal.

I'm not defending wrong or counter-accusing anyone or pointing fingers at anyone (other than the faintly absurd and laughable feminist dogma) - I do not have possession of the full and substantial by law facts and was not present at the time of the allegations - I am merely defending Right in law.

Sorry  Knight Errant Sir Grappler ...   most hmblest apologies...   I now read my post and see how you may feel righteously outraged.  I failed to make it clear that after my initial opening, responding to you,  I then moved on to the others.

I missed a step in my writng, and apologise again for causing you  angst.  Sad

I have NOT read your reply so far...
because the first glimpse showed me I had poorly expressed myself.

Pls to forgive... I must remember people can't necessarily  read my words without the gaps I tend to leave out...   
..'cos maybe my brain leaps ahead and makes the connection
and I s'pose I expect others to follow.  I assure you.. I have had difficulties with this before.

Humblest apologies.  Embarrassed

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #376 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 8:34pm

bump bump

live every day

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #377 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 9:11pm

Amadd wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 2:56pm:
That all sounds very assuming to me.

It's all coming down to a decision any day now.

I think his goose is cooked.

I've always felt that the big entertainers must have something additional to their character and personality than the rest of us who prefer to hide in the crowd.

Audacity? Arrogance? Sociopathic personalities? Narcissistic personalities? Risk takers?

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #378 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 9:34pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 9:11pm:
Amadd wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 2:56pm:
That all sounds very assuming to me.

It's all coming down to a decision any day now.

I think his goose is cooked.

I've always felt that the big entertainers must have something additional to their character and personality than the rest of us who prefer to hide in the crowd.

Audacity? Arrogance? Sociopathic personalities? Narcissistic personalities? Risk takers?

Well, they have more exposure and more people around them and more opportunities exist than to us mere humble peons. I think the word is 'temptation'. And as most are in this ivory tower, thinking they are like gods.

But, having said that, not just those in the entertainment industry, also in the other professions you will find many sleezes and sex addicts have gotten away with stuff for years.
And then, those that are that way inclined and not a famous tall poppy, I know of one guy that is a total sleeze and makes my skin crawl, for that reason, I do NOT go to a friend's birthday party anymore because his mate the letch is there.

And as Sherri said earlier, sometimes, it IS hard to talk about a situation that happened, because everyone knows and just accepts it and says "Oh yeah, M...he is a bit of a sleeze eh?"
This is what must be the case also, in the same situation as say Rolf, being like that, that people do know, and just shrug it off and accept it as their normal behaviour.

And it would be unnacceptable for me to go and say to our friend, that his mate is letching onto all his female friends, because I would be the bad sport coz they have been mates for 40 years?????
I found out another female friend that doesn't go anymore to the yearly event, has told me of her situation with the letch, and made me feel less alone with the dilemma, but......that doesn't make it right to accept it.
And then, here we are, women, grown up women, unable to tell the main guy what is happening.
Yeah, and ignorance is bliss?
I find it easier to just keep away and not associate with them any more, and I know, in my heart, that our friend V.. would be devastated if he knew the truth...he is respectable always to us.
It is a fearful thing to confront, and hence, why so many will not come forth in a huge situation, with a huge mega star, about something like that.
No one wants to be alone with it, and have no one believe them, all on their little own.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #379 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 10:10pm

yes indeed Lady Lols... 

in fact I read something somewhere, not that long ago, by a person in the entertainment industry, commenting on 'these sorts of things'.. not Rolf specific..  OK ?

Not relating directly to him... but to how many players in the entertainment industry 'turn a blind eye...'   to this type of abuse every day.

It seems acceptable...to some in the Industry.!   
Perhaps the acceptability factor increases with the 'star' status..?? 

So.. let us not forget about these women ... and what they HAVE experienced,  and for some,, a nightmare...

( laughing are u ?  no doubt? soul brothers )

but good ol' Rolf 'wobbleboards on'.

Thats what you all want.. no? 
To have it shown that it's the womens/childs fault..???
You want him out of this trial,  a person acquitted.?? ?? 

Good ol touchy feely creepy yukky Rolf...

doesn't matter .. his age.. or his charm... that  which got him into this mess in the first place.. 

No.. people need to understand the responsibility which he has totally abrogated ... by his advances to under age children.
His failure,  as a decent human being. 

Let the court rule.

live every day

IP Logged

Quantum
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #380 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 11:14pm

Emma wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 10:10pm:
yes indeed Lady Lols... 

in fact I read something somewhere, not that long ago, by a person in the entertainment industry, commenting on 'these sorts of things'.. not Rolf specific..  OK ?

Not relating directly to him... but to how many players in the entertainment industry 'turn a blind eye...'   to this type of abuse every day.

It seems acceptable...to some in the Industry.!   
Perhaps the acceptability factor increases with the 'star' status..?? 

So.. let us not forget about these women ... and what they HAVE experienced,  and for some,, a nightmare...

( laughing are u ?  no doubt? soul brothers )

but good ol' Rolf 'wobbleboards on'.

doesn't matter .. his age.. or his charm... that  which got him into this mess in the first place.. 

No.. people need to understand the responsibility which he has totally abrogated ... by his advances to under age children.

Let the court rule.

The highlighted part. Should have just posted that. Everything else you said is BS. If it was up to you you would have already hung him before a single shred of evidence was presented.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #381 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 12:04am

once again you presume to understand..

well,  Q  ??

I'm ALL FOR the COURT of LAW.

I am not in anyway able to sway any court...  nor would I seek to.

You just keep getting it wrong ..

I said Let the Court Rule... and that is what I mean...

I AM entitled to have a view on this, however,  JUST LIKE YOU.!!

Poor Baby,  how you must wish I'd go away...  poor wee weak baby.  Tongue.

live every day

IP Logged

Quantum
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #382 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 6:11am

Emma wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 12:04am:
once again you presume to understand..

well,  Q  ??

I'm ALL FOR the COURT of LAW.

I am not in anyway able to sway any court...  nor would I seek to.

You just keep getting it wrong ..

I said Let the Court Rule... and that is what I mean...

I AM entitled to have a view on this, however,  JUST LIKE YOU.!!

Poor Baby,  how you must wish I'd go away...  poor wee weak baby.  Tongue.

You really need to work on your writing skills. Read what you wrote again...

Quote:

doesn't matter .. his age.. or his charm... that  which got him into this mess in the first place.. 

You are already writing about him like he is a convicted criminal. Sticking "let the court rule" means little when you have already declared him guilty.

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #383 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:17am

Amadd wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 9:56am:
..and so, after all considerations, you still have Cods, Herbert, Baron..et al saying that he will always be remembered as a kiddy fiddler.
Why have a court case at all? He was already tried and convicted in a large percentage of the public's eyes the moment the story broke.

It seems the biggest piece of evidence is that he lied about being at the university, where a television presenter who was at the same event testified that she didn't know that she was at a university either.

I'd imagine that where there's smoke there's fire, however, he must have held quite a bit of admiration for a "said" victim to carry on an 11yr relationship after supposedly being abused. Not saying it can't happen, but if it did, as an adult she must've acted very irresponsibly by carrying on a relationship with him.

You don't want to discourage people who are victims of abuse coming forward, but also people can't be tried retrospectively for what was fairly average social behaviour at the time regarding the witnesses who were adults.
Nowadays, a wolf whistle can land somebody in court or make them unemployable. Times have changed and people are poo scared, just as the government would have you be.

Out of all the things he has said, this is one thing I actually believe completely-that he had no idea he had been there.
I think his story was he was taken there in a coach as part of the show but wasn't really aware of what town it was taking place in.

Perfectly possible. Anyone who has been on a coach tour can tell you there are a lot of little places where the bus stops and you get a coffee, have a wander round, then move on, without really remembering the name of the place later on. Smiley

I don't think he was convicted in most people's eyes though the moment the story broke. I know my own reaction was-Not Rolf, no way, this could be a set up.

But I think there is enough evidence in to suggest he's been a sleaze, at the very least.

I also think it can be a mistake to judge people's past actions by the standards of today.
But sexually molesting people was an offence back in the 1970s, too. It is not like smoking, that was considered normal one decade and dangerous the next.
Sexual assault has consistently been considered an offence, the main difference is, I suppose, that people are more willing to talk about it now and people would not be so sure they could get away with it.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #384 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:42am

Emma wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 8:34pm:
bump bump

Nay.. nay, madam - if fault there be, it be within ME!  I can jump to quickly on things... and I can be sharp at times..... trouble not yourself.... all is well.... I value your views and your points.... and I am not immune to mistakes and misinterpretations.... (I think I'm not.. but I could be wrong  Grin)....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #385 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:51am

I think the point is that some people who have that sort of position of trust and near reverence seem to find it impossible to not be tempted, and feel they are somehow above the law and common decency.

Some go further - like Saville - and actually pursue such 'careers' for the opportunities it clearly presents to them to work their own form of abuse.

I can't comment on Rolf Harris specifically, nor do I point the finger at him specifically here, and it could well be that he is caught up in a witch hunt - and certainly one should not be condemned for having it off with a 'consenting adult'.  We can only await the facts and the outcome.  Also, being a 'touchy-feely' sort of person is not the same as groping tits and arse.... (**coughs**)  I had at one time to do body searches at airports, and accidentally knocked a guy's 'tackle' - red-faced and apologetic - genuine mistake and he wasn't hiding a bomb there - I think.  Point is it can happen and it can be very embarrassing

My concern is that, like certain others, SOME people in that position, of 'power' 'authority' 'mana' or whatever, assume it is a perk of the work...some politicians feel the same.... only the strong do not...... and I'm still not sure about Rolf Harris... but it would be a shame if he did turn out to have hands of clay......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #386 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:52am

sherri wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:17am:
Out of all the things he has said, this is one thing I actually believe completely-that he had no idea he had been there.
I think his story was he was taken there in a coach as part of the show but wasn't really aware of what town it was taking place in.

You've obviously never been to the UK.

Nobody ends up in London, Oxford, Cambridge, or Stratford-upon-Avon without knowing it.

Perfectly possible. Anyone who has been on a coach tour can tell you there are a lot of little places where the bus stops and you get a coffee, have a wander round, then move on, without really remembering the name of the place later on. Smiley

Grin Grin Grin

Not knowing you had a cup of tea in Cambridge is like not knowing you'd visited the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #387 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:02am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 8:52am:

You've obviously never been to the UK.

Nobody ends up in London, Oxford, Cambridge, or Stratford-upon-Avon without knowing it.

Grin Grin Grin

Not knowing you had a cup of tea in Cambridge is like not knowing you'd visited the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Or Brixton on a Sa'dee Nigh', Guv!

Maybe Rolf was in his cups....

"Man - where am I?  This looks like Cambridge, but ... am I dreaming or what?"

― John Adams

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #388 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 10:29am

Amadd wrote on Jun 8th, 2014 at 9:56am:
..and so, after all considerations, you still have Cods, Herbert, Baron..et al saying that he will always be remembered as a kiddy fiddler.
Why have a court case at all? He was already tried and convicted in a large percentage of the public's eyes the moment the story broke.

It seems the biggest piece of evidence is that he lied about being at the university, where a television presenter who was at the same event testified that she didn't know that she was at a university either.

I'd imagine that where there's smoke there's fire, however, he must have held quite a bit of admiration for a "said" victim to carry on an 11yr relationship after supposedly being abused. Not saying it can't happen, but if it did, as an adult she must've acted very irresponsibly by carrying on a relationship with him.

You don't want to discourage people who are victims of abuse coming forward, but also people can't be tried retrospectively for what was fairly average social behaviour at the time regarding the witnesses who were adults.
Nowadays, a wolf whistle can land somebody in court or make them unemployable. Times have changed and people are poo scared, just as the government would have you be.

I don't think he was convicted in most people's eyes though the moment the story broke. I know my own reaction was-Not Rolf, no way, this could be a set up.

But I think there is enough evidence in to suggest he's been a sleaze, at the very least.

I also think it can be a mistake to judge people's past actions by the standards of today.
But sexually molesting people was an offence back in the 1970s, too. It is not like smoking, that was considered normal one decade and dangerous the next.
Sexual assault has consistently been considered an offence, the main difference is, I suppose, that people are more willing to talk about it now and people would not be so sure they could get away with it.

Thankyou for a balanced viewpoint.
I agree that it's a good thing that more people are coming out and discussing abuses as a child. It would be far better if these situations could come to light at time so that they can be better assessed.
At the same time, it's not so easy to educate children on matters that they don't fully understand and the power that it brings can also become an issue.

In Rolf's case, I have little doubt that he's been somewhat sleazy over the years on certain occasions, however, there is doubt that I would consider him abusive to children.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #389 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 10:44am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:02am:
... Or Brixton on a Sa'dee Nigh', Guv!

Christ no.

Isn't that where they had the Race Riots a few years ago?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 95
Send Topic Print