Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 95
Send Topic Print
Rolf facing the music (Read 107651 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rolf facing the music
Reply #585 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:46am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 7:34am:
red baron wrote on Jun 16th, 2014 at 6:59pm:
Cods I'm afraid your poor Rolf has been a dirty little boy............tic...tic...tic..time is running out for Rolf Octopus hands Wink

He'll never do time - he's too old.

what good would it do???......

are we that hungry for revenge... I dont think so.

he is suffering more now than any of us can possibly imagine..its awful to watch to be honest..
but we cannot turn a blind eye to this behavior just because of who someone is..

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #586 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 1:13pm

sherri wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 7:28am:
Amadd wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 12:54am:
Baron, don't get your knickers in a knot. You read it wrong yet again buster  Grin

Cods is still on your side and y'all still don't require evidence to convict.

Happy now sunshine?  Wink

Conviction in a court of law is one thing, but people don't necessarily have a 'lynch mentality' every time they make a decision without hard proof.
We do it every day, in lots of small ways. It's about balance of probabilities and it usually works well. It's one reason I am delaying travelling on the roads today till after 9am. I have no 'proof', it hasn't even happened yet, but I suspect the roads will be clogged with traffic before then.

In a similar way, some years ago a friend told me in confidence about how a priest had made a suss suggestion to her son. She immediately pulled her son out of being an alter boy and changed his school. Another adult told me her husband had once, decades earlier, been assaulted by that same priest.
So that was 3 of us who never witnessed a thing, but going on the evidence from people who were normally reliable, we believed the stories completely. Years later, that man was convicted after other people pressed charges.

Lynch mob mentality on our part? No, I don't believe so. Just the balance of probability.

Yes, any parent should easily tell when something is going on with their children. I'm not sure about the statements of the parents in Rolf's case. Maybe you can enlighten me on that one.

Of course people make judgements based on probability, and if it were a civil case (which it isn't) then the judge would do so also.

Cods, I don't think think that this forum has any specific power, however, it is a reflection of society as is a jury. I think many of the people here would be thrown off a jury due to their prejudices.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #587 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:46pm

red baron wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:44am:
Amadd I'm not against Cods, I'm not against anyone. Just don't like hearing Rolf referred to as poor old Rolf, that sinister retrograde has caused a lot of life long problems for women he interfered with.

Allegedly.

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #588 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:56pm

cods wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Cods I'm afraid your poor Rolf has been a dirty little boy............tic...tic...tic..time is running out for Rolf Octopus hands Wink

he is suffering more now than any of us can possibly imagine..its awful to watch to be honest..
but we cannot turn a blind eye to this behavior just because of who someone is..

It shouldn't matter how old you are, IF you do the crime you do the time. IF he's guilty. Throw him into the mainstream just like anybody else. Why should he have special treatment just because he's an old fart?

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

BlindFreddy

Australian Politics

Reply #589 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 3:15pm

Maybe he'd like to try some cane toad stew?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #590 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 5:28pm

Amadd wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 1:13pm:
sherri wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 7:28am:
Amadd wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 12:54am:
Baron, don't get your knickers in a knot. You read it wrong yet again buster  Grin

Cods is still on your side and y'all still don't require evidence to convict.

Happy now sunshine?  Wink

Conviction in a court of law is one thing, but people don't necessarily have a 'lynch mentality' every time they make a decision without hard proof.
We do it every day, in lots of small ways. It's about balance of probabilities and it usually works well. It's one reason I am delaying travelling on the roads today till after 9am. I have no 'proof', it hasn't even happened yet, but I suspect the roads will be clogged with traffic before then.

In a similar way, some years ago a friend told me in confidence about how a priest had made a suss suggestion to her son. She immediately pulled her son out of being an alter boy and changed his school. Another adult told me her husband had once, decades earlier, been assaulted by that same priest.
So that was 3 of us who never witnessed a thing, but going on the evidence from people who were normally reliable, we believed the stories completely. Years later, that man was convicted after other people pressed charges.

Lynch mob mentality on our part? No, I don't believe so. Just the balance of probability.

Yes, any parent should easily tell when something is going on with their children. I'm not sure about the statements of the parents in Rolf's case. Maybe you can enlighten me on that one.

Of course people make judgements based on probability, and if it were a civil case (which it isn't) then the judge would do so also.

Cods, I don't think think that this forum has any specific power, however, it is a reflection of society as is a jury. I think many of the people here would be thrown off a jury due to their prejudices.

rubbish half a dozen people... get real...

btw you still havent answered my question??..

you are convinced no evidence no case...

ok what evidence would stand up to your high expectations.....if you were writing the new laws on this one???

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #591 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 5:30pm

skippy. wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 2:56pm:
cods wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:46am:

It shouldn't matter how old you are, IF you do the crime you do the time. IF he's guilty. Throw him into the mainstream just like anybody else. Why should he have special treatment just because he's an old fart?

because we are not all barbarians like you... and want revenge...

I dont think too many young women will be getting to up close with him in the future....and his wife will probably hold both his hands when he is in public.. if he ever is again...

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #592 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 6:42pm

When you ruin womens' lives through your nefarious endeavours then there is a price to be paid, even if that price  is having your adoring public turn a cold stony back to you.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #593 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 10:56pm

Red Baron... you are more devious than I expected.. Wink

Obviously illegal acts, if found to be so, require punishment.
That is the way it works.  Whether the guilty party is 18 or 88...  the principle remains the same..

Wouldn't you agree ?.

live every day

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #594 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:05pm

FYI folks......first day of Judge's directions to the jury

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/rolf-harris-trial-judge-nigel-sweeney-says-j...

Add.....sorry, the link fails and I can't fix it!!!!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #595 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:17pm

Alinta wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:05pm:
FYI folks......first day of Judge's directions to the jury

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/rolf-harris-trial-judge-nigel-sweeney-says-j...

Add.....sorry, the link fails and I can't fix it!!!!

Maybe this link ~ haven't read it ~ took it straight off Google to post here:

Click here.

Edit: Nah.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #596 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:25pm

Yeas.....the 13th Juror attacks:

Quote:
ROLF Harris’ guilt or innocence on 12 counts of indecent assault will have to be determined with a unanimous verdict, a London court has heard.

In given directions to the six man, six woman jury in the 84-year-old’s trial, Judge Nigel Sweeney said he will not accept a majority rule but rather only a unanimous verdict on each of the 12 indictments.

He said they could find Harris guilty or innocent on all 12 or on some of the 12 but a decision on each had to be agreed to by all 12 jurors.

In a lengthy address, Judge Sweeney reminded the jury of their duty as “judges of the evidence” and said he hoped they could “see the wood for the trees and recognise a red herring when you see one and ignore it”.

He said the defendant relied strongly on his good character and asserted he did not commit any of the offences alleged although accepted he did have sexual contact with one victim but that did not start until she was 18.

The prosecution, he said, relied on so many women having given evidence from Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Malta and said there was no reason for any or so many to lie about alleged assaults, for no reason.

He said it was up to the jury to decide on evidence what was more truthful. He instructed it could be, as the prosecution had asserted, the evidence from one independent witness was supportive of the other independent witness then taken collectively it was less likely to explain away as coincidental lies.

He said the jury could view the evidence in this way.

His summing up is expected to continue tomorrow with direction on the evidence on two central alleged victims who make up the bulk of the indictments before the jury will be discharged to reach a verdict.

Rolf just got screwed by the Judge.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #597 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:28pm

it doesn't really matter  mateys ..  the words will remain the same .. tomorrow.. or next week.   Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #598 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:30pm

just caught your last post Aussie... 

the Judge said what he HAD to say.

live every day

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #599 - Jun 18th, 2014 at 7:56am

Aussie wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:25pm:
Rolf just got screwed by the Judge

ah the bush lawyer has had his say.. if Rolf is found guilty it will because of the judges summing up...

why does aussie always think the jury is a bunch of no hopers..anyway beside the point..

if he is found NOT guilty.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Aussie wrote on Jun 17th, 2014 at 11:25pm:
He said it was up to the jury to decide on evidence what was more truthful

this bit wasnt highlighted...but it is up to the jury to decide  and I think the judge was being very kind to Rolf by saying he will only accept a unanimous verdict.....

all I know is I am glad I am not on that jury...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 95
Send Topic Print