Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 95
Send Topic Print
Rolf facing the music (Read 107598 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rolf facing the music
Reply #645 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 5:42pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 5:10pm:
Quote:
I think I also said I wouldnt want to be on the jury,....
because I am sure even if its only one or two.. they must be asking themselves what point is this doing....

which I think was behind the judge directing them to have a unanimous finding...
because he knows it wont be easy....

Question for you cods.

If they come back to the Judge with the firm and repeated (if necessary) comment ` "We are unable to reach a unanimous verdict," what ought the Judge do?

the judge I would HOPE would follow the LAW...

it would probably go to a retrial..as its had such headlines... maybe call a truce...

the judge has put this on the jury so I would think he has a right to counsel them and maybe send them back.. depends doesnt it how long they are gone.....I think they will come in guilty to be honest...

but at the end of the day...I cant see where anyone will get any satisfaction from this...if he was 50 I could see them saying he wont do that again in a hurry....I dont know what anyone will get from this I am sure..

but I am sure the lawyers would have asked more than once.. do you want to proceed with this.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

and if/when he is found not guilty... who picks up the bill??????...

will it stop other dirty old men putting their hands on young children.. not bloody likely...

what do you think the judge should do????....

do you feel he is playing a big card by telling them unanimous  or nothing...its an awful lot of pressure...what would be his reason for doing that??...you knowing more than me..

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #646 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 7:46pm

Of course I have sympathy for your terrible experience Emma, which is precisely why I say that parents also need to be better educated. No it's not your Mum's fault by any means, but not speaking about it again is a very poor way to handle it....    [/quote]..Amadd

Thanks for that...   

I totally agree Amadd ...  in hindsight.. as an adult...  and I lay no blame on my Mum.. as I said previously... 

Realistically ,  I don't think it was really possible for me or my Mum to 'DO' anything about it..  given time place and other dynamics..
you  must remember   
every single circumstance is different...  there is NO SCRIPT

..regardless of your beliefs.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #647 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 7:52pm

cods wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:31am:
Emma wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 2:32am:
IF .... AMADD ..? 

... this man had been of a profile such as ROLF....yes the almighty Rolf....such that his actions impinged on other children,  and became an ISSUE.... 

and I found out late in my life that others were following up,  under intense scrutiny... the things done to them.. ie done to me..... 
my name would be on the list... not for money ........ Gt bugger'd 
.. but for what  feels  RIGHT.

Revenge..???  No  I don't think so.   Money  ???..definitely NO. 

It would be more like  a  NEED,  an OBLIGATION ..to truth.

To lighten some of the ignorance that still rules...

FOR that  .. see your previous post(s)

really sorry to hear you had such a bad experience emma my son in law.. had the same thing... and when you hear cases like this it all comes back to you doesnt it??...this is what people dont understand...you cannot forget it or dismiss it.. because of the constant reminders.............................................

...I doubt these women have enjoyed one minute of this...but it had to be done...I trust they and you will get some form of relief this is out there..I wish you well.

Your comments are appreciated Cods. It IS something I choose not to think about,  and as you say,... I get reminded.. now and then... by the News... mainly.

Or seeing an obese man  coming near me...I don't bolt...  but I do head the other way.. or ignore..... 

IGNORING helps.    

live every day

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #648 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:07pm

This is what the Judge will do, cods.

If they come back and say, "We cannot reach a unanimous decision," the Judge will say, "Go to the Jury Room and have another go."  That might happen a few times.  If it becomes clear to the Judge that the Jury really are at an impasse, he will discharge them and Rolf walks.

Then, it is over to the Prosecution to decide if they want another go.  I doubt they would decide to initiate another Trial.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #649 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:57pm

I understood that if the jury can't ultimately reach a unanimous verdict, the Judge may direct he will accept a majority (10 I think) verdict.????????

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #650 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:04pm

Alinta wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:57pm:
I understood that if the jury can't ultimately reach a unanimous verdict, the Judge may direct he will accept a majority (10 I think) verdict.????????

That seems to be what can happen here in Qld these days (not in days of elde) but I have no idea what happens in the UK today.

Wiki:

Quote:
England and Wales

In England and Wales a majority of 10–2 (10–1 if only eleven jurors remain) is needed for a verdict; failure to reach this may lead to a retrial.

Initially, the jury will be directed to try to reach a unanimous verdict. If they fail to reach a unanimous verdict, the judge may later (after not less than two hours[3]) give directions that a majority verdict will be acceptable, but still no less than ten to two, although the jury should continue to try to reach a unanimous verdict if possible.

When the jury are called to deliver a verdict after majority directions have been given, a careful protocol of questions is followed: only in the event of a guilty verdict is it then asked whether or not all jurors were agreed on that verdict. This is to ensure that any not-guilty verdict is not tainted by it being disclosed that any jurors dissented. This protocol is followed separately for each charge.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #651 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:15pm

I guess we will hear soon enough Aussie..

I am not following this case particularly.. Very few such things attract my attention.. however..

I found I was singing to myself the other morning.. ..

...well I'm a great disgrace to the aborigine race
my boomerang won't come back...   

make of it what you will  Grin Grin Grin Grin

live every day

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #652 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:58pm

Emma wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:15pm:
I guess we will hear soon enough Aussie..

I am not following this case particularly.. Very few such things attract my attention.. however..

I found I was singing to myself the other morning.. ..

...well I'm a great disgrace to the aborigine race
my boomerang won't come back...   

make of it what you will  Grin Grin Grin Grin

I know exactly what you mean.  But, on the positive side......the shape of my natural golf swing/shot is a gentle draw.  When that (rarely) fails, I will always be heard to say....."My boomerang is a stick....." ~ and some other stuff.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #653 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 10:04pm

well...  just as long as it comes back.. yeah?.. (insert infinity symbol here)

live every day

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #654 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 11:37pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 8:07pm:
This is what the Judge will do, cods.

If they come back and say, "We cannot reach a unanimous decision," the Judge will say, "Go to the Jury Room and have another go."  That might happen a few times.  If it becomes clear to the Judge that the Jury really are at an impasse, he will discharge them and Rolf walks.

Then, it is over to the Prosecution to decide if they want another go.  I doubt they would decide to initiate another Trial.

the judge has told them he will only accept a unanimous decision.... this to me says ... he is giving Rolf the best chance he can...because this is a very emotive case..everyone feels they know Rolf Harris...he has been around forever..to see him brought down to this is really not what people want to see....yet the crime needs to be punished if there was a crime....

I would say even the judge doesnt want to have to sentence anyone...

Rolf isnt like those other sleazy guys that are being charged.by Yewtree.......

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #655 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 5:55am

cods wrote on Jun 20th, 2014 at 11:37pm:

What do you mean cods?

Rolf was a classy kiddy fiddler, was he? I would have thought Cliff would have rehearsed scripture chapters when he was doing the (alleged) deed.

What has Rolf got that Gary Glitter, Cliff Richard ??? or Jimmy Savile hasn't got (apart from life in Savile's case).

Did you find out that Rolf votes Liberal cods?

Anyway, here's an interesting lighthearted blog.... join the dots if you care to.

http://markewbie.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/list-of-names-connected-with-savile-cas...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #656 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 8:01am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jun 21st, 2014 at 5:55am:

What do you mean cods?

Rolf was a classy kiddy fiddler, was he? I would have thought Cliff would have rehearsed scripture chapters when he was doing the (alleged) deed.

What has Rolf got that Gary Glitter, Cliff Richard ??? or Jimmy Savile hasn't got (apart from life in Savile's case).

Anyway, here's an interesting lighthearted blog.... join the dots if you care to.

http://markewbie.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/list-of-names-connected-with-savile-cas...

well I didnt mean it wasnt wrong..[if guilty]..what I meant was... he was out in the open ...he wasnt doing a Hughes...walking around naked and getting them whilst asleep...or behind closed doors....I think he said he should be charged.. ..

no I didnt find if he voted lib...I didnt care too..

and when it comes to sleaze Labor have nothing to be proud of as you find the need to bring politics into even this...

I dont consider he is a paedo... that was what I was trying to say...and I have felt that Rolf should have been pulled up a long time ago.. if his wife [who I dont care what anyone says... KNEW] she might have saved herself a whole lot of trouble if she had told him it was wrong.. dont do it...it may have been all he needed .. we dont know do we..?

I dont know what the yewtree people have been found guilty or not guilty of doing....all I know is the police did say the Harris case had nothing to do with that.. it just came out because of it...

so you may wish to explain the connection.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #657 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 8:02am

btw... what has Cliff Richards been charged with....I must have missed that.

IP Logged

Rhet-Oracle

Australian Politics

Reply #658 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 8:46am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jun 21st, 2014 at 5:55am:

What do you mean cods?

Why are you including Cliff Richard in this, he has not to my knowledge been a poi or been charged where the Yew Tree investigation is concerned?

IP Logged

Rhet-Oracle

Australian Politics

Reply #659 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 8:48am

Sorry Cods, missed your post. But maybe now the question will be answered?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 95
Send Topic Print