Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 95
Send Topic Print
Rolf facing the music (Read 107553 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rolf facing the music
Reply #735 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:32pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 11:45am:
Well it depends on what happened to her and the other women, I would think some could have been more serious than others. She said she wasn't raped but she didn't go into detail. I think it's a very personal thing if people choose to report it or not. I don't think that everyone who rings up the rape crises centre would end up pressing charges, some choose not to and it's their decision.

If my grand daughter was old enough to be unsupervised around celebrities, I would ask them what they wanted to do about it after giving them all the possible options. Fortunately schools and hospitals have a bit more security than they used to and I don't think celebrities are aloud to roam around at will these days.

pansi you can say that about any crime.. it depends on what happened to them...if someone is bashed and put in a coma from  head hitting pavement..... is that well you werent killed so get on with it?????

we are n ot talking about RAPE...this is or was about any man being able to touch children in areas that are totally inappropriate....

unless they are brain damaged anyone would know that is a NO GO thing to do....

so you would leav e it up to a child to decide if they wanted to pursue a case against an adult... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes... really!!!!!!

these women were 13 and younger...

come on pansi.. even I dont believe you would do that...

and as for celebs.. well not to sure about that... on ly those who have had charges laid against them are not allowed in hospitals...pretty embarrassing anyway..

and its tough as we tend to tar all with the same brush....and that too is insulting.

the males I know are just as appalled by the men that engage in this type of thing...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #736 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:35pm

does anybody else think the judged saying he will only accept a 100% verdict...[what if it was only 1% guilty]..was to make it almost impossible for a verdict under the circumstances??..

if guilty he would after all have to sentence him..  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. and we dont know what the expectations are in England do we?

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #737 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:35pm

cods wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 7:24am:
austranger wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:51am:
Don't get me wrong, personally I reckon RH is as guilty as hell, but I'm only going by the media reports, and a gut feeling, which I happen to trust.
I have a daughter so that does tend to make me a little prejudiced, but I also have a space-cadet sister ( we call her that for MANY reasons, this is but one of those many) who claims to have been molested, but I know for a FACT that some of her allegations are total b/s, I was there for goodness sake, and the one she accuses WAS NOT. He died long ago, and she never voiced her accusations until he was beyond defending himself, and even when confronted by my and others knowledge she insists on her version of events, even claiming abuse during a period of several years when he wasn't even in the flamin' country! OK, she's only one fruitcake, and even though there's bound to be others, that does not detract for a moment from the veracity of any other accusers, it merely highlights the fact that accusations are NOT proof, which is the way it's all going at the moment unfortunately.
I dread to think how many innocent men have had their lives destroyed and are doing time on the unsupported word of vindictive or delusional females, there's bound to be some, no-one can deny that.

of course thats true...we all know that inf act some women have been charged with doing that...and rightly so.....again what PROOF can one produce??...seedy guys do it so well ...

so can we assume then.. that this type of thing should never go to court..

a/...some women have lied

b/... there is no evidence or witness to said assault..

c/.. everyone is innocent until PROVEN otherwise.without cold evidence... no PROOF>

can anyone tell me what evidence has been shown at the Royal Commission in to child abuse????????????

Sorry CODS, but you do seem to be mistaking where I'm coming from.I also find your questions puzzling considering what you've said in the other posts, about not making a big deal or going to court over old feel-ups. I happen to agree with you about clogging up the legal system with ultimately unprovable cases, but support the right of any victim to try and seek justice, it's a conundrum I have no ready answer for though.
Nevertheless, I'll try to explain. In a case like RH, a persistent offender using his position to victimise I fully support prosecution, evidence or not, the accuser(s) must have their day in court and be taken seriously. That the presumption of innocence applies but has been routinely ignored by the media and courts is an unfortunate fact but it doesn't mean that he should walk free, nor do I mean that there should ONLY be a conviction where independent evidence is produced. It's a very fine line but the fact is that that line has been crossed and recrossed, innocent men have been convicted and guilty escaped, simply because the whole question is so very difficult, so unclear, so hard to prove except in rare cases.
Only today I was reading of a case where a law graduate has been gaoled for making false accusations of rape, a promising sign indeed.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/24335492/woman-jailed-over-fake-rape-claims/
My main point was that once an accusation has been leveled and publicised the accused has then already had his life destroyed, even if innocent, almost everyone automatically assumes guilt these days and even if acquitted the stench will linger evermore. Perhaps an outright ban on reporting until conviction might help the accused, but it equally might deny the accuser vital but unknown verification or supporting evidence, another conundrum.
My lament about the number of innocent men in gaol was just that, and only that, a lament, I wasn't trying to say that because of their predicament there should be any change in law or approach to prosecution, our system may have it's faults but it the best, and only, one we've got. Hopefully there will be wise heads trying to find ways to eliminate or mitigate those faults, but I'm not one of them, I have no answers, or even ideas, as to how that can be done.
It's a sad fact that such men have always been with us, and always will be, and teaching our kids to spot and defend against them is the best chance we have of protecting them, a method I personally used with my own, along with "no secrets, ever!" I taught them to believe that anyone asking, suggesting, or insisting on secrecy was by definition a bad person, and should be spoken of loud and long simply for that reason! It may have spoiled the odd birthday surprise but mine got through to adulthood unscathed, so a that's a price I willingly paid!
I'll tell you this though, like many fathers, IF my kids had been molested, the police and courts would have been a last resort, that molester would have become a statistic, a "missing person", and would never have re-offended, I can guarantee you that!!

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #738 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 1:24pm

cods wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:35pm:
does anybody else think the judged saying he will only accept a 100% verdict...[what if it was only 1% guilty]..was to make it almost impossible for a verdict under the circumstances??..

if guilty he would after all have to sentence him..  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.. and we dont know what the expectations are in England do we?

I don't.  By law the judge must at the outset of deliberations state requirement of a unanimous verdict.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #739 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 1:29pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 11:20am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 9:24am:
I thought this trial had ended - what's the verdict?  Anyone?

Also - I always thought Jimmy Saville looked rather strange.....

Strange? I've never seen such an evil face outside of a Hollywood horror movie.

I have to agree - I mean he had 'the look' of something weird....

Could have used him instead of Jeremy Irons in The Time Machine - as the Warlock or whatever it was...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #740 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 1:58pm

austranger wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:35pm:
cods wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 7:24am:
austranger wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:51am:
Don't get me wrong, personally I reckon RH is as guilty as hell, but I'm only going by the media reports, and a gut feeling, which I happen to trust.
I have a daughter so that does tend to make me a little prejudiced, but I also have a space-cadet sister ( we call her that for MANY reasons, this is but one of those many) who claims to have been molested, but I know for a FACT that some of her allegations are total b/s, I was there for goodness sake, and the one she accuses WAS NOT. He died long ago, and she never voiced her accusations until he was beyond defending himself, and even when confronted by my and others knowledge she insists on her version of events, even claiming abuse during a period of several years when he wasn't even in the flamin' country! OK, she's only one fruitcake, and even though there's bound to be others, that does not detract for a moment from the veracity of any other accusers, it merely highlights the fact that accusations are NOT proof, which is the way it's all going at the moment unfortunately.
I dread to think how many innocent men have had their lives destroyed and are doing time on the unsupported word of vindictive or delusional females, there's bound to be some, no-one can deny that.

of course thats true...we all know that inf act some women have been charged with doing that...and rightly so.....again what PROOF can one produce??...seedy guys do it so well ...

so can we assume then.. that this type of thing should never go to court..

a/...some women have lied

b/... there is no evidence or witness to said assault..

c/.. everyone is innocent until PROVEN otherwise.without cold evidence... no PROOF>

can anyone tell me what evidence has been shown at the Royal Commission in to child abuse????????????

Sorry CODS, but you do seem to be mistaking where I'm coming from.I also find your questions puzzling considering what you've said in the other posts, about not making a big deal or going to court over old feel-ups.

I happen to agree with you about clogging up the legal system with ultimately unprovable cases, but support the right of any victim to try and seek justice, it's a conundrum I have no ready answer for though.

I THINK YOU HAVE GOT ME MIXED UP WITH PANSI.. I HAVE NEVER SAID EITHER OF THOSE COMMENTS.

Nevertheless, I'll try to explain. In a case like RH, a persistent offender using his position to victimise I fully support prosecution, evidence or not, the accuser(s) must have their day in court and be taken seriously. That the presumption of innocence applies but has been routinely ignored by the media and courts is an unfortunate fact but it doesn't mean that he should walk free, nor do I mean that there should ONLY be a conviction where independent evidence is produced. It's a very fine line but the fact is that that line has been crossed and recrossed, innocent men have been convicted and guilty escaped, simply because the whole question is so very difficult, so unclear, so hard to prove except in rare cases.
Only today I was reading of a case where a law graduate has been gaoled for making false accusations of rape, a promising sign indeed.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/24335492/woman-jailed-over-fake-rape-claims/
My main point was that once an accusation has been leveled and publicised the accused has then already had his life destroyed, even if innocent, almost everyone automatically assumes guilt these days and even if acquitted the stench will linger evermore. Perhaps an outright ban on reporting until conviction might help the accused, but it equally might deny the accuser vital but unknown verification or supporting evidence, another conundrum.
My lament about the number of innocent men in gaol was just that, and only that, a lament, I wasn't trying to say that because of their predicament there should be any change in law or approach to prosecution, our system may have it's faults but it the best, and only, one we've got. Hopefully there will be wise heads trying to find ways to eliminate or mitigate those faults, but I'm not one of them, I have no answers, or even ideas, as to how that can be done.
It's a sad fact that such men have always been with us, and always will be, and teaching our kids to spot and defend against them is the best chance we have of protecting them, a method I personally used with my own, along with "no secrets, ever!" I taught them to believe that anyone asking, suggesting, or insisting on secrecy was by definition a bad person, and should be spoken of loud and long simply for that reason! It may have spoiled the odd birthday surprise but mine got through to adulthood unscathed, so a that's a price I willingly paid!
I'll tell you this though, like many fathers, IF my kids had been molested, the police and courts would have been a last resort, that molester would have become a statistic, a "missing person", and would never have re-offended, I can guarantee you that!!

THERE YOU GO  YOU THINK WE SHOULD ALL GO AROUND MURDERING PEOPLE ON THE WORD OF A CHILD..we are talking about children well at least i am..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #741 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:01pm

Alinta wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 1:24pm:
cods wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 12:35pm:

I don't.  By law the judge must at the outset of deliberations state requirement of a unanimous verdict.

well sorry I didnt know that....then it still doesnt answer my question.. the judge is handing out the rules how he interprets the law...

well... will I ask for 100% verdict.. or maybe a 98.2% .. eeny meeny miny moe..

that doesnt sound good to me...he may be going on holiday and wants it over quick..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #742 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:04pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 1:29pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 11:20am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 9:24am:
I thought this trial had ended - what's the verdict?  Anyone?

Also - I always thought Jimmy Saville looked rather strange.....

Strange? I've never seen such an evil face outside of a Hollywood horror movie.

I have to agree - I mean he had 'the look' of something weird....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/10/5/134946482804...

Could have used him instead of Jeremy Irons in The Time Machine - as the Warlock or whatever it was...

he looks the creep he is portrayed  as  evil and creepy I wouldnt let a child with 100 feet of him to be honest..how or what this guy had to make him such a celeb I will never understand...he just looks what he is evil.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #743 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:08pm

Not that one.

This one ...

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #744 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:41pm

[quote author=cods link=1399888262/740#740 date=1403927918]

[b]THERE YOU GO  YOU THINK WE SHOULD ALL GO AROUND MURDERING PEOPLE ON THE WORD OF A CHILD

Yes, I did mistake the post for yours, my apology for that, but that at least explains my confusion.
I'll point out though that I said that if my kids had been molested, I saw no reason to add endless reams of further qualifications to that, I took it for granted that any reader would understand those. My child's word would be the start point, I would need to be satisfied that such had indeed occurred before I proceeded, I would hardly put them at risk, or myself, by arbitrary action. I would NOT rely on the police or courts to deal out appropriate justice for such an offense, they are hampered by laws after all, and would inevitably have to allow that slime out to cause yet more victims to suffer once his sentence was over. It is my firm belief that such creatures cannot be cured, not that it's intrinsically their own fault, as far as I know the majority of them are just born that way, it's not like they had any choice in their sexuality. That doesn't change the fact that I believe capital punishment is the appropriate way to deal with them, that's the only sure way to guarantee no more victims. Since the law cannot do that I must, or I could never look my children in the eye again.
So, I ask you, if you were a victims parent would you be satisfied to allow them to keep offending, to go to sleep at night knowing they're out there seeking and abusing yet more innocents, simply because you had the opportunity to prevent that and balked at it?
I couldn't, to me it's that simple. Luckily for all concerned the situation never arose, I believe my preventative education of my kids ensured that.

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #745 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 3:05pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:08pm:

Not that one.

This one ...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/January%202013/savile_zps2f91...

Spot on - pardon the pun....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #746 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 3:50pm

Emma wrote on Jun 27th, 2014 at 10:57pm:
ian wrote on Jun 27th, 2014 at 10:43pm:
eyewitness testimony is notoriously innacurate anyway and medical professionals are also notorious for implanting "experiences" in childrens minds. so where does that leave us?

But Ian... we are not talking about EYE witness accounts here.
Are we?? 

Has someone come forward and said they witnessed assaults by RH.?  I don't know.. I doubt it..  so your point is  what?  exactly.??

perhaps medical professionals Smiley may be responsible..??
Grin Grin Grin Grin

You do realise an alleged  victim can be an eyewtiness also dont you?

IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #747 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 4:09pm

Jimmy Savile: "Panorama", BBC One, in full, Part 1/5

royal darling jimmy saville

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #748 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 8:05pm

austranger wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 2:41pm:

That doesn't change the fact that I believe capital punishment is the appropriate way to deal with them, that's the only sure way to guarantee no more victims.

You've just alienated every leftwinger on this board with that comment.

Since the law cannot do that I must, or I could never look my children in the eye again.

That's a wrong decision.

Indulging yourself as the perpetrator of an Honour Killing would not advance your children's welfare by one iota. It's more your duty to remain free and innocent in society for the sake of your children than to make a melodramatic gesture that would separate them from their father for several years.

Your best course of action would be to stay within the law. Give all the details of this offender to the police, including testimony from your children.

So, I ask you, if you were a victims parent would you be satisfied to allow them to keep offending, to go to sleep at night knowing they're out there seeking and abusing yet more innocents, simply because you had the opportunity to prevent that and balked at it?

The unfortunate truth is that the average time spent in jail by convicted paedophiles is just 2 years.

Kill one of them and you'll be in jail many times longer than the average paedophile. You'll be in jail while your children no longer have you to look after them.

Act in haste and repent at leisure is the fate that awaits those who circumvent the law.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #749 - Jun 28th, 2014 at 8:14pm

Also, eyewitness recollection and testimony can and does change dramatically over time, so much so that after a number of years in many cases eyewitness testimony is almost worthless.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 95
Send Topic Print