Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print
Islam-aint'cha sick of it? (Read 19640 times)
Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Islam-aint'cha sick of it?
Reply #75 - Jun 1st, 2014 at 11:59pm

I doubt any financial firm has a warehouse.
Our company is an energy provider and has huge facilities to house the capital equipment.

Not worked for a finance firm for 10 years plus son.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:42am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jun 1st, 2014 at 11:59pm:
I doubt any financial firm has a warehouse.
Our company is an energy provider and has huge facilities to house the capital equipment.

Not worked for a finance firm for 10 years plus son.

What’s this got to do with Islam, son?

Not taking over another thread with more stories of your earning potential/grades in accounting/cost of your private school tuition/Dad’s highflying job/Mother’s Boer status, are you?

Like to switch back to how sick you are of Islam?

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #77 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 2:02am

Nothing at all son.
Stick to the topic it's you who brought Singapore up.

Must remind you of 'Nam eh?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:30pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 1st, 2014 at 1:00am:
freediver wrote on May 29th, 2014 at 11:02pm:
That's just wrong. Gandalf this is the risk you take in accepting Australia's hate speech laws.

Yet free speech seems to get along just fine in Australia.

Why does nothing like that ever happen in Australia?

Are you familiar with the concept of risk Gandalf?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:34pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 2:02am:
Nothing at all son.
Stick to the topic it's you who brought Singapore up.

Must remind you of 'Nam eh?

You raised your "experience" of Muslims, boy. You then conceded you don't know if you employ any or not - maybe a few in the "warehouse".

We didn't have any Muslims in Nam, son. We had men, and we had ladyboy tosspots who were too scared to take one for the boys.

We showed them.

It only hurts the first time, you know.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #80 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 1:06pm

freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:30pm:

I am indeed - such as the risk that by removing or butchering 18c, minorities will be at far greater risk of being persecuted - just as 70-80% of Australians are also familiar with this risk.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #81 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 2:34pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 1:06pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 12:30pm:

I am indeed - such as the risk that by removing or butchering 18c, minorities will be at far greater risk of being persecuted - just as 70-80% of Australians are also familiar with this risk.

Section 18C racist in only allowing minority groups to speak out freely
ANTHONY DILLON THE AUSTRALIAN JUNE 02, 2014 12:00AM

IT is unfortunate that some people, such as Australia’s father of reconciliation, Pat Dodson, conflate the right to express opinions on matters involving race with racia­l hatred (The Australian, May 28). The topic of free speech impacts on all Australians, not just minority groups, and should be discussed openly.

Freedom of speech is typically presented in a legal framework given the Racial Discrimination Act and is difficult to understand for anyone who does not have a reasonable knowledge of law.

But the psychological perspective is just as necessary for understanding the dynamics of freedom of speech, offence and personal responsibility, and a plain-English discussion is vital to address some problems with this debate that are rarely raised for fear of being branded offensive, or even racist.

The controversy surrounding freedom of speech is underpinned by the assumption that words have the power to directly hurt others.

Some call this common sense, but “common sense” once told us that the sun orbits the earth, that Aborigines were sub-human, that women could be witches or that gay people were mentally ill.

The fact that for every person who claims to be offended by someone’s opinions, others are not, which demonstrates that words themselves do not directly cause us to be hurt or offended.

I don’t deny that some people take offence upon hearing some words, but the operative word here is “take’’. People can just as easily choose not to take offence. It’s like walking past a shop that sells greasy food — you don’t have to eat the food. Eating such food may contribute to unhealthy weight gain, but its presence does not directly cause people to gain weight.

There seems no end to opportunities today for people to take offence, claim they are traumatised, and make someone else responsible for their suffering. Taking offenc­e is all too often simply a ploy to silence opponents.

With regard to Aboriginal politics, it gets more ridiculous. Consider the recent example reported on ABC radio, where Warren Mundine said, “traditionally ceremonies like funerals did not last for weeks and cultural obligations should not be an excuse to avoid responsibilities to go to school or work”. For those holding a romanticised view of Aboriginal culture, Mundine’s words are uncomfortable. But this is an important topic that needs to be discussed.

In response, former Northern Territory indigenous affairs minister Marion Scrymgour is reported as being offended by Mundine’s words. If Scrymgour disagreed with Mundine, why not simply point out what she believed were errors in his claims?

When faced with words from others that we don’t wish to hear, it is too easy to just say, “I’m off­ended”, as a way of silencing them.

I have previously written for The Australian on Aboriginal matters in a manner that some do not like. Many Aborigines and non-Aboriginal people claim that my words are offensive, hurtful, dangerous. However, as someone who has Aboriginal ancestry, it is unlikely that anyone is going to rush to sue me.

While I have not been sued, I am often criticised. I do not take the opportunity to protest that my feelings have been hurt or traumatised because others disagree with me. I support people’s right to disagree with me, criticise me, and challenge me. I welcome it.

But what would have happened if someone with no Aboriginal ances­try wrote the words I write in my opinion pieces? Is it possible that someone with some Aboriginal ancestry would rush to sue a non-Aboriginal person? I think it is highly likely. There may even be claims of “racial hatred”.

Yet I am able to express my ideas without the fear of being sued because my ancestral mix includes some Aboriginality. Is this not a form of racism? Over the years, I have had many non-Aboriginal people tell me: “I’m glad you said it, Anthony; I would be branded a racist if I said it.”

It is all too easy to misrepresent discussions that involve race, particularly if some feel uncomfortable with the content as being blatant racism. Let’s not confuse the right to have open discussion on race matters with racial hatred — regardless of how uncomfortable honest debate may be. It is so easy to shut down debate by screaming “racism” or “I’m offen­ded”, thereby preventing important matters from being discussed.

Anthony Dillon identifies as part-Aboriginal and lectures at the Australian Catholic University.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/opinion/section-18c-racist-in-o...

Just so.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 3:36pm

Peddling your stool again, dear boy? Jolly good.

The Racial Discrimination Act is not simply about causing offence, but inflaming racial vilification
The act allows for free speech and debate on racial issues. In Bolt’s case, this was overruled because Bolt told porkie pies.

As Justice Bromberg argued:

"I have not been satisfied that the unlawful conduct that I have found occurred, is exempted from unlawfulness by Section 18D [guaranteeing free speech]. The reasons for that conclusion have to do with the manner in which the articles were written, including that they contained errors of fact, distortions of the truth and inflamatory and provocative language.

Freedom is the right to say that two plus two equals four. Tyranny promotes the right to say that two plus two equals five, just as Bolt does, just as you do, always, absolutely, never ever.

Miam miam, eh?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #83 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 6:57pm

Soren,

Post #81, i read it all.

Well stated by Anthony Dillon - especially the 2nd 1/2 of the post, imo.

Those persons who 'take offence' with the expressed [public] opinions of others - if they have a legitimate argument/grievance - should engage in public debate [with the person(s) who have 'offended' them], and explain to us all, what is the  legitimate and logical foundation of their argument [at being 'offended'].

Quote:

...With regard to Aboriginal politics, it gets more ridiculous. Consider the recent example reported on ABC radio, where Warren Mundine said, “traditionally ceremonies like funerals did not last for weeks and cultural obligations should not be an excuse to avoid responsibilities to go to school or work”. For those holding a romanticised view of Aboriginal culture, Mundine’s words are uncomfortable. But this is an important topic that needs to be discussed.

In response, former Northern Territory indigenous affairs minister Marion Scrymgour is reported as being offended by Mundine’s words. If Scrymgour disagreed with Mundine, why not simply point out what she believed were errors in his claims?

When faced with words from others that we don’t wish to hear, it is too easy to just say, “I’m off­ended”, as a way of silencing them.....

+++

p.s.

karnal,

i am always disappointed - but unsurprised - by the banality of your posts.

Dictionary;
banal = = tediously unoriginal or commonplace.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #84 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 9:03pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 3:36pm:

"I have not been satisfied that the unlawful conduct that I have found occurred, is exempted from unlawfulness by Section 18D [guaranteeing free speech]. The reasons for that conclusion have to do with the manner in which the articles were written, including that they contained errors of fact, distortions of the truth and inflamatory and provocative language.

I already told you this, Paki Banal.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1400931617/54#54

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm

Soren wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 9:03pm:

I say, old chap, you’ve taken to peddling my stool - a dish, I might add, best served cold.

Good show.

Racial discrimination law does not prevent you from suggesting we should carpet bomb the Muselman, or put sugar in his petrol tank, or turn over his bins. This, after all, is serious old boy debate.

Bolt was convicted of racially vilifying 9 particular individuals, in a daily newspaper and online, and telling fibs in order to do so. The plaintiffs chose to use the Racial Discrimination Act rather than the libel laws to make a point.

The Racial Discrimination Act is not about "offending" a race, but targeting individuls on the most ridiculous racial grounds, as Bolt did. He played dirty, and he got burnt.

If it was merely about the right to not be offended, you’d be taken to court on a daily basis.

As a Freudian, of course.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jun 2nd, 2014 at 10:20pm

Yadda wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 6:57pm:
Soren,

Post #81, i read it all.

Well stated by Anthony Dillon - especially the 2nd 1/2 of the post, imo.

Those persons who 'take offence' with the expressed [public] opinions of others - if they have a legitimate argument/grievance - should engage in public debate [with the person(s) who have 'offended' them], and explain to us all, what is the  legitimate and logical foundation of their argument [at being 'offended'].

Quote:

...With regard to Aboriginal politics, it gets more ridiculous. Consider the recent example reported on ABC radio, where Warren Mundine said, “traditionally ceremonies like funerals did not last for weeks and cultural obligations should not be an excuse to avoid responsibilities to go to school or work”. For those holding a romanticised view of Aboriginal culture, Mundine’s words are uncomfortable. But this is an important topic that needs to be discussed.

When faced with words from others that we don’t wish to hear, it is too easy to just say, “I’m off­ended”, as a way of silencing them.....

+++

p.s.

karnal,

i am always disappointed - but unsurprised - by the banality of your posts.

Dictionary;
banal = = tediously unoriginal or commonplace.

Gee, thanks, Y. Coming from the board’s resident expert on banal (= = tediously unoriginal or commonplace), that is high praise indeed.

I’m touched.

+++
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2014 at 12:10am by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #87 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 3:10pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm:
Soren wrote on Jun 2nd, 2014 at 9:03pm:

I say, old chap, you’ve taken to peddling my stool - a dish, I might add, best served cold.

Good show.

Racial discrimination law does not prevent you from suggesting we should carpet bomb the Muselman, or put sugar in his petrol tank, or turn over his bins. This, after all, is serious old boy debate.

Bolt was convicted of racially vilifying 9 particular individuals, in a daily newspaper and online, and telling fibs in order to do so. The plaintiffs chose to use the Racial Discrimination Act rather than the libel laws to make a point.

The Racial Discrimination Act is not about "offending" a race, but targeting individuls on the most ridiculous racial grounds, as Bolt did. He played dirty, and he got burnt.

If it was merely about the right to not be offended, you’d be taken to court on a daily basis.

As a Freudian, of course.

There would have been no Racial Discrimination case if Bolt himself had some Aboriginal ancestry. So the provisions are inherently racists - identical points made by people who do not 'identify' as this that or the other are treated differently. Individual rights to free expression are overridden by group identity.
This is why the 9 didn't pursue defamation action.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 9:17pm

Crap. The act is based on how a "reasonable" person would be expected to react to racial or religious vilification. It would be quite permissable for you to take a fellow Hun to court - the judge rules whether it’s vilification, not your hurt feelings.

If Bolt wanted a sensible debate, why didn’t he seek one? Light skinned versus dark skinned Aboriginals are a fairly big issue in Aboriginal groups. There was even an Insight show on it.

Jenny Brockie and the SBS weren’t sued and found to have vilified anyone

There’s the rub, old boy - a sensible discussion that seeks to raise awareness of an issue or a libelous and sustained program of hysterical rants that distort the truth.

We know which side you’re on. Where there was ego, there shall id be, no?

Miam miam.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #89 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 9:50pm

Peddling your stool again, dear boy? Jolly good.

The Racial Discrimination Act is not simply about causing offence, but inflaming racial vilification
The act allows for free speech and debate on racial issues. In Bolt’s case, this was overruled because Bolt told porkie pies.

Freedom is the right to say that two plus two equals four. Tyranny promotes the right to say that two plus two equals five, just as Bolt does, just as you do, always, absolutely, never ever.

Miam miam, eh?

People (mostly Muslims) say I am wrong about Islam all the time. They also accuse me of being inflammatory. That seems like a nebulous standard to apply.

Are we forbidden from saying two plus two equals five?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Send Topic Print