Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 73277 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #390 - May 24th, 2015 at 9:09pm

Oh i have bloody well not.

Look up patriarchy in the dictionary.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #391 - May 24th, 2015 at 9:16pm

Perhaps it would be better if you give a clear definition of patriarchy so your position is not obscure or ambiguous.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #392 - May 24th, 2015 at 9:31pm

A List of "Men's Rights" Issues That Feminism Is Already Working On

Feminists do not want you to lose custody of your children. The assumption that women are naturally better caregivers is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not like commercials in which bumbling dads mess up the laundry and competent wives have to bustle in and fix it. The assumption that women are naturally better housekeepers is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to have to make alimony payments. Alimony is set up to combat the fact that women have been historically expected to prioritize domestic duties over professional goals, thus minimizing their earning potential if their "traditional" marriages end. The assumption that wives should make babies instead of money is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want anyone to get raped in prison. Permissiveness and jokes about prison rape are part of rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want anyone to be falsely accused of rape. False rape accusations discredit rape victims, which reinforces rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be lonely and we do not hate "nice guys." The idea that certain people are inherently more valuable than other people because of superficial physical attributes is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to have to pay for dinner. We want the opportunity to achieve financial success on par with men in any field we choose (and are qualified for), and the fact that we currently don't is part of patriarchy. The idea that men should coddle and provide for women, and/or purchase their affections in romantic contexts, is condescending and damaging and part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be maimed or killed in industrial accidents, or toil in coal mines while we do cushy secretarial work and various yarn-themed activities. The fact that women have long been shut out of dangerous industrial jobs (by men, by the way) is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to commit suicide. Any pressures and expectations that lower the quality of life of any gender are part of patriarchy. The fact that depression is characterized as an effeminate weakness, making men less likely to seek treatment, is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be viewed with suspicion when you take your child to the park (men frequently insist that this is a serious issue, so I will take them at their word). The assumption that men are insatiable sexual animals, combined with the idea that it's unnatural for men to care for children, is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be drafted and then die in a war while we stay home and iron stuff. The idea that women are too weak to fight or too delicate to function in a military setting is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want women to escape prosecution on legitimate domestic violence charges, nor do we want men to be ridiculed for being raped or abused. The idea that women are naturally gentle and compliant and that victimhood is inherently feminine is part of patriarchy.

Feminists hate patriarchy. We do not hate you.

If you really care about those issues as passionately as you say you do, you should be thanking feminists, because feminism is a social movement actively dedicated to dismantling every single one of them. The fact that you blame feminists—your allies—for problems against which they have been struggling for decades suggests that supporting men isn't nearly as important to you as resenting women. We care about your problems a lot. Could you try caring about ours?

http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-admit-that-hating-men-is-a-thing-will-you-stop-t...

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #393 - May 24th, 2015 at 9:34pm

maybe you should understand Patriarchy.
Maybe you should understand women.

Get informed, rather than emotive, you poor creature. Left to the ministrations of the evil female, out to get you.!!!
Cheesy
Can't you look up the definition?. No? Not interested?  So go away and spread your baseless views somewhere they are welcome.

Seems to me if you watch the News, of any sort, you'd now be aware of the state of this matter of DV and oppression by male on female. Of how wide-spread it is, and how pervasive is the current dominant culture. Do you mean you haven't heard about this?  ?

Do you even watch the News, or  'umm '  Smiley actually READ ?

Some MEN.. are starting to stand up for what is right. But the pollies are only really doing it, in the main, for our female votes. Why are there no real women in Abbotts govt.? 

There are many other more genuine informed commentators of the male persuasion.  And you know what CW and the rest?? these MEN  think you are lower than cockroaches. They are real men. Not afraid of losing their historical right to rule the roost. 
Good on them, they are much more aware than the puny likes of you and your weak kind. 
Feel good only when you can be putting someone else down, do you. ?. Eh? 

The answer would be YES. Wouldn't it.?

Pathetic. Smiley Keep on showing us  just how ignorant selfish puerile and bigoted you really are. ! Smiley Grin

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2015 at 9:59pm by Emma »  

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #394 - May 24th, 2015 at 9:47pm

mothra wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 9:31pm:

Feminists do not want you to lose custody of your children. The assumption that women are naturally better caregivers is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not like commercials in which bumbling dads mess up the laundry and competent wives have to bustle in and fix it. The assumption that women are naturally better housekeepers is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to have to make alimony payments. Alimony is set up to combat the fact that women have been historically expected to prioritize domestic duties over professional goals, thus minimizing their earning potential if their "traditional" marriages end. The assumption that wives should make babies instead of money is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want anyone to get raped in prison. Permissiveness and jokes about prison rape are part of rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want anyone to be falsely accused of rape. False rape accusations discredit rape victims, which reinforces rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be lonely and we do not hate "nice guys." The idea that certain people are inherently more valuable than other people because of superficial physical attributes is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to have to pay for dinner. We want the opportunity to achieve financial success on par with men in any field we choose (and are qualified for), and the fact that we currently don't is part of patriarchy. The idea that men should coddle and provide for women, and/or purchase their affections in romantic contexts, is condescending and damaging and part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be maimed or killed in industrial accidents, or toil in coal mines while we do cushy secretarial work and various yarn-themed activities. The fact that women have long been shut out of dangerous industrial jobs (by men, by the way) is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to commit suicide. Any pressures and expectations that lower the quality of life of any gender are part of patriarchy. The fact that depression is characterized as an effeminate weakness, making men less likely to seek treatment, is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be viewed with suspicion when you take your child to the park (men frequently insist that this is a serious issue, so I will take them at their word). The assumption that men are insatiable sexual animals, combined with the idea that it's unnatural for men to care for children, is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be drafted and then die in a war while we stay home and iron stuff. The idea that women are too weak to fight or too delicate to function in a military setting is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want women to escape prosecution on legitimate domestic violence charges, nor do we want men to be ridiculed for being raped or abused. The idea that women are naturally gentle and compliant and that victimhood is inherently feminine is part of patriarchy.

If you really care about those issues as passionately as you say you do, you should be thanking feminists, because feminism is a social movement actively dedicated to dismantling every single one of them. The fact that you blame feminists—your allies—for problems against which they have been struggling for decades suggests that supporting men isn't nearly as important to you as resenting women. We care about your problems a lot. Could you try caring about ours?

http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-admit-that-hating-men-is-a-thing-will-you-stop-t...

Well said Mothra.
Seems fear is at the root of this anti-female perspective. Not information.

Ah well Life goes on.

Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #395 - May 24th, 2015 at 10:22pm

Lindy West is a great writer Emma. You should check out some of her stuff. Good reads.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #396 - May 24th, 2015 at 11:12pm

I generally read for enjoyment.

I read Betty Freidan.. 'The Feminine Mystique' when I was 15.   It was required reading in English in my 6th form yr of high school.  I must admit it shocked me. I'd never even considered these things before.
Then, years later I read
'The L-Shaped Room', ..Marilyn French. OOhh that made me angry. Angry

I really stretched my brain reading 'Sex and Violence, or Nature and Art', by Camille Paglia .

And loved

'Kill the Body, the Head Will Fall', by Rene Denfeld. The story of arguably the first really 'accepted' female boxer in the US.

All good reading.
But all that was all a long while back.  I tend to read easier fare these days.
I already know what is real.
  Well.. I think I do.  Smiley
Who is Lindy West?
' aka' Chamberlain ?

Tell you what - I've been told by many to write a book about my life.
But..  it is too hard .  Been there done that, don't really want to relive it.

live every day

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #397 - May 25th, 2015 at 7:00am

mothra wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 9:31pm:

You're still using an oppressor/oppressed paradigm, by setting up patriarchy as the oppressor and feminism as the oppressed. Hence my original claim has not been refuted.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #398 - May 25th, 2015 at 7:03am

Emma wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 9:34pm:

Get informed, rather than emotive, you poor creature. Left to the ministrations of the evil female, out to get you.!!!
Cheesy
Can't you look up the definition?. No? Not interested?  So go away and spread your baseless views somewhere they are welcome.

Seems to me if you watch the News, of any sort, you'd now be aware of the state of this matter of DV and oppression by male on female. Of how wide-spread it is, and how pervasive is the current dominant culture. Do you mean you haven't heard about this?  ?

Some MEN.. are starting to stand up for what is right. But the pollies are only really doing it, in the main, for our female votes. Why are there no real women in Abbotts govt.? 

There are many other more genuine informed commentators of the male persuasion.  And you know what CW and the rest?? these MEN  think you are lower than cockroaches. They are real men. Not afraid of losing their historical right to rule the roost. 
Good on them, they are much more aware than the puny likes of you and your weak kind. 

Pathetic. Smiley Keep on showing us  just how ignorant selfish puerile and bigoted you really are. ! Smiley Grin

Mothra, how do you debate someone like this? Does Emma Peel appear remotely interested in discussing or correcting the issues raised?

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #399 - May 25th, 2015 at 8:33am

"oppressor/oppressed paradigm"

That just seems to be a different way of saying there is a power imbalance - which would seem also to be the underpinning point of ANY struggle/conflict.

Isn't it all just about power and control. Adding genders into this is merely a distraction from the real power and control issues I would think.

It still comes down to a discussion about freedom, one which is lost/wasted by dumbing it all down to him vs her (or her vs him if you like).

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #400 - May 25th, 2015 at 9:48pm

Agreed

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #401 - May 25th, 2015 at 10:12pm

It is fallacious to compare genders in the context of which gender is harder done-by. There is NO doubt.

I agree about freedom. That is the issue really.

I would like to be able to go for a wander around in the Bush, checking out the countryside, scoping out the area on my own.  Just like my large male neighbour does.

But I don't because it isn't safe for a lone female.

How sad is that? and what does it say about us?

I have tried walking with my dog into remoter areas,  BUT.. I don't feel safe, because I know there are MONSTERS out there.
I've fought one.
I won.. at great cost to myself.
I have no wish to be a statistic.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #402 - May 26th, 2015 at 12:06am

Phemanderac wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 8:33am:
"oppressor/oppressed paradigm"

That just seems to be a different way of saying there is a power imbalance - which would seem also to be the underpinning point of ANY struggle/conflict.

Isn't it all just about power and control. Adding genders into this is merely a distraction from the real power and control issues I would think.

It still comes down to a discussion about freedom, one which is lost/wasted by dumbing it all down to him vs her (or her vs him if you like).

Sadly, Phemanderac ,  this imbalance is MOST prevalent in the male/female and the adult/child dichotomies. It is undeniable.
It should be just about conflict among equals.. but it isn't is it.?   Sad

live every day

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #403 - May 26th, 2015 at 1:10am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 7:03am:
Emma wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 9:34pm:

Cheesy

Mothra, how do you debate someone like this? Does Emma Peel appear remotely interested in discussing or correcting the issues raised?

What is the starting point of your argument?

It seems to me that you are coming in with an agenda and asking those who receive your posts to have none.

How do you debate Emma? Point by point. Try not to dehumanise her. Listen to what she says and try to factor in that she may be defensive because it is reasonably expected that she be defensive. Given what is said.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #404 - May 26th, 2015 at 1:23am

"You're still using an oppressor/oppressed paradigm, by setting up patriarchy as the oppressor and feminism as the oppressed. Hence my original claim has not been refuted. "

Oh come on. What are you looking for? A feminist to say there is no power imbalance?

Listen. I shall try to make it simple.

T Here is a status quo that expects certain things from men and certain things from women. Agreed?

Men and women have different expectations.

Now think. What are those expectations?

Do you think that women announced that men get all the work opportunities if they sacrifice themselves to a 40 hour week?

Do you think women organised it so men have control of the family budget?

Do you think women created the wage gap?

Do you think women created the paradigm where men have to work themselves into an early grave and only see their kids on weekends?

Do you think women orchestrated it so only women have responsibility fo children and a man "missing out" is because of the 'femonazis'?

Do you think women created the situation in which men who are being abused find it difficult for anyone to take them seriously?

Listen mate. Men have had disproportionate power for too long. They've made a mess of things. They have made it as difficult for men as it is for women.

This is the patriarchy. Behold it in all of it's splendour.

Women, through feminism, have caused the ripples. Men are free to join in. We have been fighting for them all along. It's about time we got some recognition for it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 59
Send Topic Print