Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 73152 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #450 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:52pm

OK  Lisa ,  I was just taking a minute to get dinner organised before I posted here.  Smiley
I accept you are female, and will not raise THAT issue further.

Later.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #451 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:53pm

Later

live every day

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Re: walk a mile
Reply #452 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:53pm

Agnes wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:42pm:
CW- I guess you have to live the life of a woman and vice versa before you could adequately appreciate her pov. Most things Mothra is saying most women agree with- there one or two here that deliberately run with their own agenda and troll a topic such as this ( because she looking for a new man  Wink  and she will say anything even hump their leg is she thinks she will make a new contact- Cool   )That type of woman is trolling and not interested in the topic. Just herself- So try to appreciate that although you don't understand how women live in the world her fears and her world view- then that is not a fail- just venus and mars- sorry. I don't pretend to understand everything about males- that would be boring anyway. I like a bit of mystery.

You've brought up one of the conundrums of feminism: they want equality but then claim men and women are different. But then there's a further conundrum: to claim men and women are different is to insinuate biological determinism is true. Nearly all feminism argues the opposite; that differences are a social construction.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #453 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:55pm

Lisa Jones wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:47pm:
Emma wrote on May 27th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
mothra wrote on May 27th, 2015 at 7:20pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on May 27th, 2015 at 7:05pm:
Excuses, deflections and rescripting events.

It gets a tad boring....after a decade. Roll Eyes

No, that would be you. You're famous for it. Or should that be infamous.

But anyway, at least my children have aged in that time (including who has arrived over that time).

Why have your twins been 18 for seven years?

Jiust accept that lisa J is a bloke, a joke and why do you bother about this rubbish ? Someone claimed that  Lisa J is actually a woman.

I'm a bloke?

My husband begs to differ.

So do the stretch marks and the Caesarean scars on my tummy.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I was lucky not one stretch mark- I have great skin, with no excessive man like hair in sight, very good genes

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #454 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:56pm

Emma wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:52pm:
OK  Lisa ,  I was just taking a minute to get dinner organised before I posted here.  Smiley
I accept you are female, and will not raise THAT issue further.

Later.

Thanks Emma.

Much appreciated.  Smiley

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #455 - May 28th, 2015 at 5:58pm

Emma wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:53pm:
Later

Ok. Thanks again  Smiley

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: walk a mile
Reply #456 - May 28th, 2015 at 6:04pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:53pm:
Agnes wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:42pm:
CW- I guess you have to live the life of a woman and vice versa before you could adequately appreciate her pov. Most things Mothra is saying most women agree with- there one or two here that deliberately run with their own agenda and troll a topic such as this ( because she looking for a new man  Wink  and she will say anything even hump their leg is she thinks she will make a new contact- Cool   )That type of woman is trolling and not interested in the topic. Just herself- So try to appreciate that although you don't understand how women live in the world her fears and her world view- then that is not a fail- just venus and mars- sorry. I don't pretend to understand everything about males- that would be boring anyway. I like a bit of mystery.

You've brought up one of the conundrums of feminism: they want equality but then claim men and women are different.
They are, so why then does that mean they cannot be treated as equals even with the differences factored in ?

But then there's a further conundrum: to claim men and women are different is to insinuate biological determinism is true. Nearly all feminism argues the opposite; that differences are a social construction.

They are firstly a biological construction- the social construction comes later ?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #457 - May 28th, 2015 at 9:23pm

Agnes wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:55pm:
very good genes

nothing like a good pair of jeans to hide the hair and stretch marks ....it's worked a treat for you (by the way, you should work on your spelling)

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #458 - May 28th, 2015 at 10:28pm

John Smith wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 9:23pm:
very good genes

nothing like a good pair of jeans to hide the hair and stretch marks ....it's worked a treat for you (by the way, you should work on your spelling)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53749000/jpg/_53749530_003153932-1.jpg

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #459 - May 29th, 2015 at 9:48am

I am sure that some "feminists" argue for equality across the board, despite that being impossible in nature....

Some.

However, for the main part "equality" that the feminist movement strives for is about opportunity. I know that then becomes a messy idea for those who would argue in favour of the present inequitable situation though, because it is a fair, logical and irrefutable position to hold.

Physically, emotionally and developmentally we are (in a general sense) different. Does different though automatically become a default position of inequality?

It seems to me that taking a strengths based viewpoint then, once again the "equality" argument becomes a bit fraut.

CW is right, we are not all equal and, this is not just on the basis of gender, however, it would be disingenuous
to suggest that this somehow refutes any/all arguments about equality on the basis of opportunity.

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:17pm:
As I stated before, those in power are usually there for a reason: skilled, knowledgeable, wealthy, intelligent, outgoing, extroverted, courageous, confident.

That was a fairly stupid and inaccurate position to take the first time around, it is no smarter now.

More often than not, those in power are their because of nothing more than their personal desire and their predatory instinct. That said, the wealth one is pertinent, being wealthy can happen to any idiot, it is certainly no bench mark for "power" or superiority (well except in the minds of the already wealthy or those who superficially strive for great wealth at the expense of basic humanity).

In fact, those in power often demonstrate the problems with inequality with regard to opportunity.

Then we get to freedom and equality being inexorably linked. They are.

Like I say, this debate is mostly (in my humble opinion) about freedom to be honest.

I would also, in a small part, agree with CW that equality is neither a natural state or one that can be achieved, at the end of the day. True to some degree, however, this further supports my position that the argument is about freedom.

Freedom to earn the same money as the person one works beside, regardless of race, gender, religion or even 457 visa status.

Freedom to apply and attain jobs, based on genuine capacity.

Freedom to negotiate fairly about house care, child raring, being the bread winner.

Freedom to choose who to (or not to sleep with) without being unfairly judged or discriminated against.

Freedom to come and go as one pleases.

Hell, even freedom to be a dag if one so chooses.

The inequities that Mother Nature provided us were, presumably for us to fullfill certain roles within a natural environment. The social constructs that create inequity though, are changeable, false and harmful and, while ever we argue for them, maintain them and support them then freedom is a delusional ideal we will never ascertain.

And that is at a time where, at least in some areas, we have probably the most freedom en masse that we have ever experienced. Yet, that is not experienced unilaterally.

Finally, to those who gave it, thank you for the positive feedback, that is most appreciated.   Smiley

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #460 - May 29th, 2015 at 12:36pm

John Smith wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 9:23pm:
very good genes

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53749000/jpg/_53749530_003153932-1.jpg

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #461 - May 29th, 2015 at 5:56pm

Phemanderac wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 9:48am:
I am sure that some "feminists" argue for equality across the board, despite that being impossible in nature....

Some.

However, for the main part "equality" that the feminist movement strives for is about opportunity. I know that then becomes a messy idea for those who would argue in favour of the present inequitable situation though, because it is a fair, logical and irrefutable position to hold.

Physically, emotionally and developmentally we are (in a general sense) different. Does different though automatically become a default position of inequality?

It seems to me that taking a strengths based viewpoint then, once again the "equality" argument becomes a bit fraut.

CW is right, we are not all equal and, this is not just on the basis of gender, however, it would be disingenuous
to suggest that this somehow refutes any/all arguments about equality on the basis of opportunity.

I once got into a rather heated debate with a feminist a generation older than myself about what equality should and can mean. She was from the older, more Marxist inspired branch of feminism than myself and argued passionately that equality required equal expectations and opportunities without exception.

I am more inclined to view feminism as being less about women and men per se, rather about the masculine and the feminine. This embraces the continuum a little better i believe an rep-resents more people. There are some men who are ostracised for having feminine qualities and women who are ostracised because of masculine qualities, although the intent behind the criticism is starkly different.In society, feminine qualities are considered to be of lesser worth than masculine qualities; and as such the feminine is under-represented and under-resourced. Men and women can both suffer from this and not presented with equal opportunity despite having the skills and innate qualities.

For example, men working in caring and nurturing professions are often viewed with suspicion despite that man being caring and nurturing by nature. It explains why women fare better in the family courts. Women are overlooked for physical jobs, despite the fact that many women are quite strong and resilient enough to accomplish them. It explains why women rarely get into positions of power.

The effects of this dynamic are more sinister when applied to society en masse of course. The masculine is seen as powerful and elite. Certain types of men, therefore, hold the balance of power.

It's not all men. It's very rarely a woman.

This is the patriarchy. It keeps both men and women down.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #462 - May 29th, 2015 at 7:18pm

Phemanderac wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 9:48am:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:17pm:
As I stated before, those in power are usually there for a reason: skilled, knowledgeable, wealthy, intelligent, outgoing, extroverted, courageous, confident.

That was a fairly stupid and inaccurate position to take the first time around, it is no smarter now.

More often than not, those in power are their because of nothing more than their personal desire and their predatory instinct. That said, the wealth one is pertinent, being wealthy can happen to any idiot, it is certainly no bench mark for "power" or superiority (well except in the minds of the already wealthy or those who superficially strive for great wealth at the expense of basic humanity).

In fact, those in power often demonstrate the problems with inequality with regard to opportunity.

Then we get to freedom and equality being inexorably linked. They are.

Like I say, this debate is mostly (in my humble opinion) about freedom to be honest.

I would also, in a small part, agree with CW that equality is neither a natural state or one that can be achieved, at the end of the day. True to some degree, however, this further supports my position that the argument is about freedom.

Freedom to earn the same money as the person one works beside, regardless of race, gender, religion or even 457 visa status.

Freedom to apply and attain jobs, based on genuine capacity.

Freedom to negotiate fairly about house care, child raring, being the bread winner.

Freedom to choose who to (or not to sleep with) without being unfairly judged or discriminated against.

Freedom to come and go as one pleases.

Hell, even freedom to be a dag if one so chooses.

The inequities that Mother Nature provided us were, presumably for us to fullfill certain roles within a natural environment. The social constructs that create inequity though, are changeable, false and harmful and, while ever we argue for them, maintain them and support them then freedom is a delusional ideal we will never ascertain.

And that is at a time where, at least in some areas, we have probably the most freedom en masse that we have ever experienced. Yet, that is not experienced unilaterally.

Finally, to those who gave it, thank you for the positive feedback, that is most appreciated.   Smiley

To me it is about justice ... level playing fields. Equality doesn't always represent what is fair. Sometimes, considerations need to be made to level out the playing field. This is what affirmative action is trying to achieve, of course.

But freedom represents it just as well providing you remember that  freedom comes inherent with the freedom of others which may impinge on what is equal and what is just.

For example,if two different people had two different sized boxes to stand on to see over a fence yet these people are of different heights, the bigger person having the bigger box and likewise the smaller person: equality would have no bearing on the allocation of the boxes; freedom would be represented by both parties deciding how to allocate the boxes, to either end, perhaps the bigger person will refuse to give the smaller person the bigger box?; yet the application of justice would result in the smaller person getting the bigger box.

But the theory of box distribution only solves some of our problems. As does freedom. And equality.

Still, i believe all 3 are best served by the elimination of the patriarchy.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #463 - May 29th, 2015 at 10:54pm

The inequities that Mother Nature provided us were, presumably for us to fullfill certain roles within a natural environment.

The social constructs that create inequity though, are changeable, false and harmful and, while ever we argue for them, maintain them and support them then freedom is a delusional ideal we will never ascertain....... PhD says.

Well, phd? I can't go with your first sentence at all. See the bold .above.  Smiley 
This view that women are naturally unequal to men is ridiculous and facetious.  Smiley Wink Grin  Titillating, as they say. Cheesy
Obviously I don't see what you see.

Of concern to me ,though, is that you might actually have this as your paradigm. Huh. Is this your core belief.? 
Maybe you believe you really are superior to a female, just because you are a male.  I 've heard that one before, believe me.!
. Are you joking or what.??
How fraught human communication is with misunderstanding.!

I actually agree with most of what you say in your second sentence . Sadly at the moment that is the way our culture operates, and  there are certainly tides of public opinion becoming more visible, or recognised, perhaps.?
Further I 'd like to say that it is never a delusional ideal, to seek freedom.! Don't be downhearted. Smiley
Everything has to start somewhere.

Please  bear with me.

But maybe you actually mean ....

Rather,   you are trying to say we both, female AND male, are provided with 'different' but equal, inequalities.? HMmm?

OR perhaps I should accept you at your word, and realise that you aren't talking about inequality AT ALL ....  BUT about INEQUITY. ?

Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #464 - May 30th, 2015 at 12:52am

We demonstrate different strengths and weaknesses in performing a range of tasks attuned to our survival, generally along gender based lines in nature....

That is basically what I meant by inequities.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 59
Send Topic Print