Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 72996 times)
Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #810 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:42pm

He is wrong because of "Women themselves are children"....

That could be described, at best, as a statement of his times based on biased observation and nothing to do with biological developmental (or, ironically, psychological fact).

The brain development of men and women in terms of emotional maturity relies pretty much on the same "training" as it were. It relies on the same development of the wiring in our brain.

Anyone who can, for example, demonstrate even a degree of self regulation, has developed a degree of emotional maturity. Therefore, those of us who demonstrate significant self regulation are, in effect, adults regardless of gender.

I acknowledge, that in Schopenhauer's day, there were really no significantly advance studies in how we mature, so he was forced,  in effect to make a guess. He got it wrong because of the above.

As to....

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:33pm:
He's wrong because you hurt me.

I have previously given you more credit for reading, comprehension and degree of critical thinking.... You see that, I was wrong obviously - like I said, we can all get it wrong with our opinions....

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #811 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:43pm

That could be described, at best, as a statement of his times based on biased observation and nothing to do with biological developmental (or, ironically, psychological fact).

The brain development of men and women in terms of emotional maturity relies pretty much on the same "training" as it were. It relies on the same development of the wiring in our brain.

Anyone who can, for example, demonstrate even a degree of self regulation, has developed a degree of emotional maturity. Therefore, those of us who demonstrate significant self regulation are, in effect, adults regardless of gender.

I acknowledge, that in Schopenhauer's day, there were really no significantly advance studies in how we mature, so he was forced,  in effect to make a guess. He got it wrong because of the above.

As to....

I have previously given you more credit for reading, comprehension and degree of critical thinking.... You see that, I was wrong obviously - like I said, we can all get it wrong with our opinions....

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #812 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 7:57pm

Phemanderac wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:17pm:
Isn't it somewhat humorous that the only EQUITY between genders is the rapaciousness each gender demonstrates in detracting the other gender?

The sexes comparing themselves with each other is about as good as a man comparing itself with a chimp.

The chimp looks at the man and thinks it's pathetic because it can't even swing on branches.  Hell, it can hardly grasp anything with it's feet.

The man looks at the chimp and thinks it's pathetic because it can't drive a car or solve a quadratic equation.

but the truth of the matter is that they are both fabulously adapted to life in their own environment, doing what they do.  Put them in an alien environment, and they're not quite so well adapted.

But you could imagine the bewilderment, and eventually resentment that would follow if chimps came into the cities and started saying they could drive as well as any man, or that their maths skills were better.  It'd be adorable for a little while, but in the end, you just want them to quit monkeying around and get real about where they fit.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #813 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:31pm

Phemanderac wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 6:42pm:

As to....

The correct quote is "big children".

Given that more women gravitate to child-rearing and nursing, and not to garbage collection or astrophysics, there must be some genetic predisposition underlying this propensity. Despite a concerted social engineering campaign, the pattern hasn't been altered to much degree.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #814 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:35pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:31pm:
Given that more women gravitate to child-rearing and nursing, and not to garbage collection or astrophysics, there must be some genetic predisposition underlying this propensity.

Must? Well, sure that's your opinion and of course, you are absolutely entitled to it...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #815 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 10:15pm

Pearls before swine Phem. Pearls before swine.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #816 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:08am

... wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 7:57pm:
Phemanderac wrote on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:17pm:
Isn't it somewhat humorous that the only EQUITY between genders is the rapaciousness each gender demonstrates in detracting the other gender?

The sexes comparing themselves with each other is about as good as a man comparing itself with a chimp.

The chimp looks at the man and thinks it's pathetic because it can't even swing on branches.  Hell, it can hardly grasp anything with it's feet.

The man looks at the chimp and thinks it's pathetic because it can't drive a car or solve a quadratic equation.

but the truth of the matter is that they are both fabulously adapted to life in their own environment, doing what they do.  Put them in an alien environment, and they're not quite so well adapted.

But you could imagine the bewilderment, and eventually resentment that would follow if chimps came into the cities and started saying they could drive as well as any man, or that their maths skills were better.  It'd be adorable for a little while, but in the end, you just want them to quit monkeying around and get real about where they fit. 

So women, i'm expected to believe, are the chimps in your equation?

Despite generations of women rising to positions of excellence in ALL fields despite stong and consolidated efforts against us?

Women "fit" wherever we damn well want to fit. There is no industry that is not represented by women. We are very well represented in the sciences, in medicine,in architecture, in engineering ... in anything you can name.

We are present.

The fact (yes it's a fact) that we still face discrimination in employment is no fault of our own.

We endure. And we are equal to you.

THe fact that you need to quote an antiquated philosopher to emphasise your point is merely desperate, not condemning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #817 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:12am

As to....

Given that more women gravitate to child-rearing and nursing, and not to garbage collection or astrophysics, there must be some genetic predisposition underlying this propensity. Despite a concerted social engineering campaign, the pattern hasn't been altered to much degree.

You're behind the times. And you call yourself an academic! When was the last time you were published?

Women cross the boards. Men do too. Isn't it lovely?

As for women being "big children" ... pah! Girls grow up much faster than boys. I am parent to both and can testify. I can also testify to being sexualised at a very young age by men. I was 12. I remember it well.

Boys do not have to deal with that.

Women know what it is to age. We are not children.

Idiots.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #818 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:16am

I would go so far as to say that "women's biggest issues" are men like Culture Warrior and Honky.

And i suspect that both have had their arses handed to them by women and that it has been a long time since either of them got their end away.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #819 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 7:40pm

mothra wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:16am:
I would go so far as to say that "women's biggest issues" are men like Culture Warrior and Honky.

And i suspect that both have had their arses handed to them by women and that it has been a long time since either of them got their end away.

Yup.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #820 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 7:50pm

It'd be up there, but remember that we'll be much harder on other men than we are on women.  They are rivals, you are quaint sideshows.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #821 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 7:59pm

mothra wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 1:12am:
As for women being "big children" ... pah! Girls grow up much faster than boys. I am parent to both and can testify. I can also testify to being sexualised at a very young age by men. I was 12. I remember it well.

I agree.

But once again, youve substituted a different question to avoid facing a difficult answer.

Schopenhauer had this covered too.  Immediately preceding the quote I posted:

Quote:
The nobler and more perfect a thing is, the later and slower it is in arriving at maturity. A man reaches the maturity of his reasoning powers and mental faculties hardly before the age of twenty-eight; a woman at eighteen. And then, too, in the case of woman, it is only reason of a sort--very niggard in its dimensions.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #822 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 12:12am

... wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 7:50pm:

It'd be up there, but remember that we'll be much harder on other men than we are on women.  They are rivals, you are quaint sideshows. 

You misunderstand me. You yourself are not actually an issue. You're just a naughty, foolish and unnecessarily aggressive little boy.

Mindsets like yours are a problem however.

We will take the challenge where it arises .. as we have with you .. and left you wanting ... but your mindset remains.

Men like you are so far behind the times that i am embarrassed for you.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #823 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 12:14am

... wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 7:59pm:

I agree.

But once again, youve substituted a different question to avoid facing a difficult answer.

Schopenhauer had this covered too.  Immediately preceding the quote I posted:

Quote:
The nobler and more perfect a thing is, the later and slower it is in arriving at maturity. A man reaches the maturity of his reasoning powers and mental faculties hardly before the age of twenty-eight; a woman at eighteen. And then, too, in the case of woman, it is only reason of a sort--very niggard in its dimensions.

I'm not particularly interested in viewing the world as it is through the eyes of some dead white guy who lived in an era where women were oppressed to the point of not being allowed to be educated.

I'm surprised you quote him, considering how inapplicable his 'philosophy' is to modern circumstance.

Desperation maybe?

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #824 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 6:40am

As to....

You're behind the times. And you call yourself an academic! When was the last time you were published?

Women cross the boards. Men do too. Isn't it lovely?

Boys do not have to deal with that.

Women know what it is to age. We are not children.

Idiots.

So what is the reason for more women being child-raisers and nurses?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 59
Send Topic Print