Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 73566 times)
rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #135 - May 5th, 2015 at 11:06pm

sure. When you arent drunk you make some half decent posts.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #136 - May 5th, 2015 at 11:18pm

I felt really sad when I saw those crowds demonstrating recently against SHARIA LAW  F Fks SAKE !!!

These people are mindless with fear.

The old saying is so true

THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF [/quote]

This comes home to me because my very best friend seems convinced that eventually her sons will be killed by Islamic fanatics who are going to take over Australia.!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe that this intelligent business woman , born and bred in QLD,  is actually expressing this stuff to me, as if its a forgone conclusion. She has nightmares FFS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I try to undo her fear, but I can't help wondering where this comes from. Who or what is making her feel this way.?? 

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #137 - May 6th, 2015 at 1:06am

hmmm didn't go down so well eh? But it is true. 

Fear makes us fools.

Did you hear?  that  Hillsong is/are going to manage one of the executed Bali 9 ringleaders memorial.? The christian convert I presume.

So someone on the news said. The dude didn't deserve clemency. He hooked up with the best way he could..  Hillsong. Says it ALL as far as I am concerned.

I mean really..?? 

The whole saga has been a tragedy. And it started here in Oz. The Indonesian govt ended it.

What can you say?  our own Federal Police set these guys up.  They claim it was too risky to wait till they came back to Australia,  ??  huh?  They knew when they went .. they presumably had the means to identify them on the way home.  Their excuses don't hold water.
I wonder what the real story is.

However there is apparently no doubt as to their guilt..  so why have we had this huge display of angst ?? 
These two men knew exactly what they were doing. You don't get to that level of criminality without a lot of prior experience. They knew what they were doing.. they just didn't count on the AFP betraying them to a capital punishment country.
I admit I was disgusted at the tactics of the AFP... still am.
The blunt refusal to offer any sort of apology seems to be a rather desperate attempt at justification, after the fact.

Is this tough love.??   Sad

Perhaps they view themselves as the ultimate arbiters of right and wrong..??

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #138 - May 6th, 2015 at 1:19am

Of course this was all about politics....  nothing else. 
NOTHING ELSE.!!!!

Indonesian Govt despises the Australian govt of the day... and rightly so.  I do too.
  I despise the Indonesian MORE tho.

BUT.. this is a long time building story.  There are so many examples of nascent conflict in the politics between Australia and Indonesia.  Look to the past and see all the incidents and conflicts that have brought us here..

We see these 'happenings' in isolation.  Look at the bigger political picture,  and understand that all the grandstanding by Abbott and Bishop, all the media frenzy and the whipping up of public alarm,  could only have had one outcome.. the execution of the men. 

It was such a pathetic attempt at manipulation by this govt, that the outcome was NEVER in DOUBT.

But I am sure Aussies thought Abbott and Bishop were genuine.  What utter garbage.

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #139 - May 6th, 2015 at 1:26am

I wonder..? if these were white boys..?? would they have been thrown to the wolves.??

live every day

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - May 6th, 2015 at 2:33am

Emma wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 1:26am:
I wonder..? if these were white boys..?? would they have been thrown to the wolves.??

I've thought the same myself nut remembered that it was the father of a 'white guy' who reported the transport of the drugs and still the AFP dobbed them into Indonesia.

I don't think this was racially motivated.

I do think the AFP have blood on their hands though.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2015 at 2:56am by mothra »  

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - May 6th, 2015 at 2:54am

As to what are women's biggest issues ... i would say the wage gap is paramount. Women still are not positioned to earn the same wages for the same pay that men are.

Another big issue is violence. Women are still over-represented in violence statistics. An astonishing number of women have died so far this year at the hands of those they once trusted. An equally astonishing number continue to live in fear.

Women are still over-represented in parental care giving. Despite the MRA claiming that women take children form willing and supportive men, the facts are that most women are unsupported entirely by the fathers of their children. The CSA is toothless. Women bear the cost of child rearing. Women bear the cost of child care. Women are the primary givers of care and often not supported in the slightest.

I would like to say loudly that one of the biggest hurdles for women is the MRA. They are deranged. As fanatical feminists have misrepresented what the bulk of us want to say, these loonies have shot men's rights in the foot. There can be no civilised discourse while we are all busy hating eachother.

And may i say, one of the biggest hurdles women face is the backlash towards feminism. As Kaz Cook so brilliantly said "If you say you are not a feminist but don't like to be treated as a small deposit of seagull poo on the windscreen of life, you simply have your terminology wrong".

... or words to that effect.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - May 6th, 2015 at 3:06am

Emma wrote on May 5th, 2015 at 11:18pm:
I felt really sad when I saw those crowds demonstrating recently against SHARIA LAW  F Fks SAKE !!!

These people are mindless with fear.

The old saying is so true

THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF

This comes home to me because my very best friend seems convinced that eventually her sons will be killed by Islamic fanatics who are going to take over Australia.!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe that this intelligent business woman , born and bred in QLD,  is actually expressing this stuff to me, as if its a forgone conclusion. She has nightmares for goodness sake.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I try to undo her fear, but I can't help wondering where this comes from. Who or what is making her feel this way.?? 

[/quote]

Rupert Murdoch and all his minions of paranoia and disturbance.

I feel for your friend, but she has been unnecessarily frightened.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #143 - May 6th, 2015 at 6:14pm

I agree with all you have said mothra...

I have tried to  umm advise her that she is having these fears for no valid reason...it is a difficult issue to discuss over a pub lunch, and  .. well  .. if I get the opportunity I will follow - up, but really one has to wait for your friend to 'open the door' so to speak.

live every day

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #144 - May 8th, 2015 at 12:30pm

Emma wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 6:14pm:
I agree with all you have said mothra...

I have tried to  umm advise her that she is having these fears for no valid reason...it is a difficult issue to discuss over a pub lunch, and  .. well  .. if I get the opportunity I will follow - up, but really one has to wait for your friend to 'open the door' so to speak.

Yeah, i hear you. Maybe present her with some more 'moderate' reading material about the topic? I red a really good article recently about the real threat of terrorism. It expressed the idea that the threat is markedly less than is feared by the many. I'll see if i can find it ... if i can only remember what it was called or who put it out.

I really feel for her. The media has done a major number on a susceptible populace. They must be delighted up top.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - May 8th, 2015 at 12:47pm

Here you go Emma. Try slipping this to her:

Jihadist threat not as big as you think
By Peter Bergen and Emily Schneider
updated 8:33 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/26/opinion/bergen-schneider-how-many-jihadists/

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #146 - May 8th, 2015 at 4:10pm

mothra wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 2:54am:
Another big issue is violence. Women are still over-represented in violence statistics.

I doubt that.  What is your source?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #147 - May 8th, 2015 at 4:52pm

... wrote on May 8th, 2015 at 4:10pm:
mothra wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 2:54am:
Another big issue is violence. Women are still over-represented in violence statistics.

I doubt that.  What is your source?

Hows the Australian Bureau of Statistics grab you?

Previous research finds that…
Around one in five Australian women and one in twenty Australian men have experienced violence at the hands of an intimate partner (ABS, 2013).

Between 2005 and 2012 there was no statistically significant change in the proportion of women and men who reported experiencing partner violence (ABS, 2013).

Around 65% of men and women who have experienced current partner violence have experienced more than one incident; with women who have experienced violence by a previous partner more likely than men to have experienced more than one incident (73% compared with 51%; ABS, 2013).

Around half of men and one-quarter of women who have experienced current partner violence have never told anyone about the violence (ABS, 2013).

In 2011-12, three quarters of intimate partner homicide victims were women (AIC, 2015).

In 2012 an estimated 25% of all women aged 18 years and over and 14% of all men aged 18 years and over had experienced emotional abuse by an intimate partner since the age of 15 (ABS, 2013).

http://www.relationships.org.au/what-we-do/research/online-survey/january-2015-d...

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #148 - May 8th, 2015 at 5:01pm

You should have said domestic violence then, and it would have been obvious.  Interestingly, lesbians have the highest rate of domestic violence.  Any ideas why that might be?

The ABS also says that in the last full year that statistics are available (2012) more than twice as many men as women were victims of homicide.  Shocking, no?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #149 - May 8th, 2015 at 5:07pm

... wrote on May 8th, 2015 at 5:01pm:
You should have said domestic violence then, and it would have been obvious.  Interestingly, lesbians have the highest rate of domestic violence.  Any ideas why that might be?

The ABS also says that in the last full year that statistics are available (2012) more than twice as many men as women were victims of homicide.  Shocking, no? 

I should have said domestic violence, true. An oversight. Apologies.

Firstly, your source for lesbians being the statistically highest group of violence perpetrators please?

Secondly, the majority of male homicides are perpetrated by men. As is the case with male violence and male sexual assault.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 59
Send Topic Print