Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 73362 times)
rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #330 - May 18th, 2015 at 12:30am

jesus. if this is what women talk about then no wonder.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #331 - May 18th, 2015 at 11:10am

I've wracked my brain trying to figure out how the phobia started Emma ... to no avail.

I can't remember any significant event that could have predisposed me. I just remember always being really scared of big spiders.

It plays into my signature well too. My daughter is afraid of spiders but unlike me she is scared of the little ones too. Still, if there's a big spider in the house, she deals with it.

Such a tragic figure in the presence of a huntsbastard do i cut, my daughter has determined to never be like me and is able to galvanise herself to the challenge.

I have been a "horrible warning" with great success.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #332 - May 18th, 2015 at 12:25pm

rhino wrote on May 18th, 2015 at 12:30am:

Yes Rhino. This is exactly what women talk about. All the time. All women. Best you know that if you're going to try to catch one.

I know how what is foreign to you sort of comes across as homogenous. It is a persitent problem of yours but really, women are just people. It will happen for you one day.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #333 - May 18th, 2015 at 12:49pm

rhino wrote on May 18th, 2015 at 12:30am:

Some women do...not all.

We're all different. That's what makes us the same. Smiley

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #334 - May 18th, 2015 at 12:55pm

Re spiders... i just quickly whack/flick it away quickly & quietly and I make sure the kids don't see me make a fuss.

Having said that, I've not come across one for some time.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #335 - May 18th, 2015 at 1:08pm

"I've wracked my brain trying to figure out how the phobia started Emma ... to no avail."

I could never figure out my phobia either but after a moth flew across my inside windscreen while I was driving, I considered myself pretty damned lucky that it was on a quiet street where I could pull over and get the hell out of the car.  Had I been in heavy traffic the outcome could have been worse and I was worried it could happen again.

SO......I started a desensitization treatment program.......the psychologist requested I ask my parents if they could shed any light on how/when it originated. Mum remembered that when I was a few weeks old lying in my bassinet, she heard seriously distressed crying and found a moth tangled and fluttering in the crib netting. As I grew up, Mum and Dad both remembered several instances where the phobia became apparent. It was a matter of remove me, kill the moth and wrap it in newspaper so I could "see" that it was gone.

As I've already said, my desensitization program was not a resounding success........the formidable obstacle of actually touching a moth picture was too much for me........so be it....

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #336 - May 18th, 2015 at 10:48pm

mmm densensitization- maybe that is what I need- but I dont think Im ready to face my fear of heights yet. I can fly no problem. I can gaze at the sea and land below without any fear- but I see anyone standing on the edge of a tall building etc..and I freeze and go quite weird inside, that mixed with a feeling of terror- crippling.  I dont know what bought it on- but I used to have dreams about falling as well.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #337 - May 19th, 2015 at 12:02am

so you actually don't go anywhere high yourself? Other than planes?  I mean you refer to seeing other people near edges of buildings.. but no reference to yourself. I used to dream about earthquakes..  coming from the Shaky Isles I have memories of some big shakes.  The earth would open in giant cracks that I had to jump over to get home.!! Scary.

Scarier..? Actually being stuck in a lift which was going up.. stopped  slid down a few floors and stopped. Jerked and stopped.   EEK!!   After quite  long wait  we had to climb out between floors. NOW THAT IS SCARY.! Shocked

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #338 - May 19th, 2015 at 12:22am

So we can safely say that phobias and such are not really women's Biggest Issues.

Notice there is more pollie attention to the issue of domestic violence. Talking about the idea of GPS'ing known offenders, for example. ?

Not sure.. one would have to expect that a DVO was already taken out and breached first.
The sad thing is most domestic violence goes unreported.

Only when the bodies start piling up do the 'authorities' look at what can be done. 
Well, it's too late baby now it's too late.
This is a generational thing, and I can only hope that some time, young people will be effectively raised to respect their own humanity, and that of others. Sad

live every day

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #339 - May 19th, 2015 at 1:01am

Emma wrote on May 19th, 2015 at 12:02am:
so you actually don't go anywhere high yourself? Other than planes?  I mean you refer to seeing other people near edges of buildings.. but no reference to yourself. I used to dream about earthquakes..  coming from the Shaky Isles I have memories of some big shakes.  The earth would open in giant cracks that I had to jump over to get home.!! Scary.

Scarier..? Actually being stuck in a lift which was going up.. stopped  slid down a few floors and stopped. Jerked and stopped.   EEK!!   After quite  long wait  we had to climb out between floors. NOW THAT IS SCARY.! Shocked

I do Emma- 4 stories up is enough- just recently had a holiday with my partner and we were on the 4th floor of an appt building- I coudn't venture out onto the balcony- just felt weak and just generally fearful so didnt go out at all. No more balconies feature in my holidays/

omg that lift experience would have scared the life out of me..and i have never seen earthquakes ever- but i imagine that would terrifying.. did they leave you with any phobias

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #340 - May 19th, 2015 at 1:23am

Well I don't dream about earthquakes anymore. So I guess that is a no. Probably because I've lived in Australia for most of my life, and Australia is remarkably stable vis a vis Earthquakes. They DO happen, but it is a BIG country.

But there is something primal, a deep fear, about feeling the very earth you stand on moving beneath you, and hearing the rumble and the stuff rattling in the house.

Like being stuck in a lift, it is a feeling of absolute powerlessness.

You realise you are mortal, and safety is never guaranteed.

Can you climb a hill and look out.?  I mean.. does the fact that you have contact with the earth mean you can turn and look at the view.? 
It's interesting , can you drive up a mountain and pull into a Lookout.?

live every day

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #341 - May 19th, 2015 at 12:59pm

Yes I can strangely enough and it might just as you said- I have contact with the earth- it is mainly tall building and steep cliffs and watching a  video of anyone traversing a very perilous steep track in the mountains- not so much watching base jumping and I love watching those videos- yes like I said very steep sheer drops on in the  mountain's
Dean Potter died recently a  famous base jumper- ( he seemed like a lovely guy too) a base jump that went wrong. Very sad. But thems the risks you take- maybe a death wish mixed in there somewhere.

I think being subject to a serious earth quake would mess with me quite seriously- but your used to them now- and now I might be freaked out by lifts too lol.

Funny you should mention the contact with  the earth thing- I never considered it that way before.

It seem's the disappearance of your phobia re- earthquakes stopped when you left earthquakes behind..mmm

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #342 - May 19th, 2015 at 8:48pm

Yes mmmm  I don't think I ever a phobia as such.. I mean Earthquakes didin't happen every day,  maybe twice a year.? I didn't go around every day thinking about them. Perhaps the fear manifested in those dreams. But I assure you , you NEVER get used to earthquakes. Those poor people in Nepal. I find that almost unimaginable. The absolute terror and despair, the helplessness to do anything..   Sad Cry

Agnes wrote on May 19th, 2015 at 12:59pm:
I have contact with the earth-

Its an interesting thing.. fear of heights. Yet you seem to watch people leaping off into the void willingly.
So long as it isn't you.?
I bet you long to do the same.  Smiley
Seen those blokes in the flying suits.. jet-propelled?? zooming over that desert city.?  Amazing.  NOW THAT would be a buzz.! Smiley  I'd love to be able to do that. ! What a dream.. a dream of flying...

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #343 - May 19th, 2015 at 10:51pm

so what we have is a very important issue for all women, and men.

That would be.?

Communication

Comments?

live every day

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #344 - May 19th, 2015 at 11:51pm

Emma wrote on May 19th, 2015 at 8:48pm:
Yes mmmm  I don't think I ever a phobia as such.. I mean Earthquakes didin't happen every day,  maybe twice a year.? I didn't go around every day thinking about them. Perhaps the fear manifested in those dreams. But I assure you , you NEVER get used to earthquakes. Those poor people in Nepal. I find that almost unimaginable. The absolute terror and despair, the helplessness to do anything..   Sad Cry

Agnes wrote on May 19th, 2015 at 12:59pm:
I have contact with the earth-

Its an interesting thing.. fear of heights. Yet you seem to watch people leaping off into the void willingly.
So long as it isn't you.?
I bet you long to do the same.  Smiley
Seen those blokes in the flying suits.. jet-propelled?? zooming over that desert city.?  Amazing.  NOW THAT would be a buzz.! Smiley  I'd love to be able to do that. ! What a dream.. a dream of flying...

Very much. I used to dream I could fly and maybe the guys who base jump and try death defying stunts such as that also dreamed they could fly once- here is a Video of Dean Potter, the guy who recently jumped to his death in jump that went very wrong- so very sad when I heard, he seemed like really sweet guy- here he is doing a jump with his dog.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 59
Send Topic Print