Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 59
Send Topic Print
Womens Biggest Issues Are ... (Read 73213 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: Womens Biggest Issues Are ...
Reply #465 - May 30th, 2015 at 1:15am

ahh .. not very helpful , as an answer it = 0.

So to continue..

we do not normally dwell in nature, do we.?

Most of us live in these giant putrid hives we call cities.

We are locked in to rather rigid mindsets and lifestyles, and many, it seems , find it hard, or seemingly impossible, to feel real empathy for any human not within their purview, their clan, their religion , even the colour of their skin or gender. .

(see?  I can write long sentences too.! Smiley)

Seriously though , your argument is basically spurious because.  .......
Most of us do not ever get to be natural individuals, do we?.
Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #466 - May 30th, 2015 at 1:35am

Phemanderac wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 12:52am:
We demonstrate different strengths and weaknesses in performing a range of tasks attuned to our survival, generally along gender based lines in nature....

That is basically what I meant by inequities.

What?
Now you are really getting slippery PhD. That is no proper reply.

Kindly answer the questions I posed to you.  Smiley
You have plenty to say, and I am asking you where you actually  'root' yourself.

Emma wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 10:54pm:
But maybe you actually mean ....

Rather,   you are trying to say we both, female AND male, are provided with 'different' but equal, inequalities.? HMmm?

.......................... ?

Of concern to me ,though, is that you might actually have this as your paradigm. . Is this your core belief.? 
Maybe you believe you really are superior to a female, just because you are a male.  I 've heard that one before, believe me.!
. Are you joking or what.??

Spare us your obfuscation and answer, in the spirit of open communication.... else we will be forced to come to our own conclusions.
Surely you want to be understood.?   Smiley
Just like the rest of us.?
I know how much fun  being enigmatic can be .  It really just comes naturally, doesn't it.?
Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #467 - May 30th, 2015 at 7:16am

Phemanderac wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 9:48am:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:17pm:
As I stated before, those in power are usually there for a reason: skilled, knowledgeable, wealthy, intelligent, outgoing, extroverted, courageous, confident.

That was a fairly stupid and inaccurate position to take the first time around, it is no smarter now.

More often than not, those in power are their because of nothing more than their personal desire and their predatory instinct.

Personal desire and a "predatory instinct" will only get you so far. Perhaps they would work with the homeboys and street gangs, but they will not get you running a successful business, coaching a football team, teaching students, or running an organisation. In each situation, leaders need to possess people skills, knowledge, and confidence. Leaders who possess none of those are quickly found out as imposters and will lose respect of the employees, players, students, and members. Have you seen a football team crumble when they lose respect of the coach? Have you seen a classroom when the students figure out that the teacher does not know the subject matter? Can Greenpeace operate on brute force toward its members and donors? 

The feminists' obsession with the reduction of all situations to power relations fails to take into account the ideas and/or reasons for why a power structure is in place to begin with. They see a power imbalance and that men happen to be in charge and then make the assumption that it's some sort of patriarchal conspiracy. As stated before, such a statement isn't a refutation. At best, it is only description, and that is only if the description is accurate!  

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #468 - May 30th, 2015 at 9:24am

Emma wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 1:15am:
ahh .. not very helpful , as an answer it = 0.

So to continue..

we do not normally dwell in nature, do we.?

Most of us live in these giant putrid hives we call cities.

We are locked in to rather rigid mindsets and lifestyles, and many, it seems , find it hard, or seemingly impossible, to feel real empathy for any human not within their purview, their clan, their religion , even the colour of their skin or gender. .

(see?  I can write long sentences too.! Smiley)

Seriously though , your argument is basically spurious because.  .......
Most of us do not ever get to be natural individuals, do we?.
Smiley

I am sorry. It was an answer and an answer that was direct to the actual question asked.

After all, it was just the "FIRST" sentence you took exception to, however, that first sentence, in context was also, already explained, at least I thought so.

Men and Women have some "naturally" occurring differences generally.

I also did go on to point out that in our modern world we (that's both men and women) have developed, lived by and built upon "social constructs" which have exacerbated inequity. I think the social constructs might have originally been a ham-fisted and misguided attempt to mirror what we thought our roles were in "nature" - we got it wrong.

That is the point to mentioning "in nature".

By the way, for my part, I do not think it at all helpful to attempt this debate without;

a) Acknowledging the rock banging nature dwelling beasties that we sprung up from - there are most likely still some significant genetic drivers we are not paying attention to.

b) That men and women are not the same and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) in a sensible and well functioning society this does NOT mean one is superior to the other.... We (Men and Women) have simply worked together to make it that way presently.

Yep, many people do live in Cities and large communal groups. Ironically, there were survival issues that drove this idea originally, back when we lived "in nature"....

I think we got lazy, now we are reaping the fruits of that error.

So, I don't agree that my argument is spurious because that one sentence was part of something bigger (Context) and, as such, that ONE sentence is not, in point of fact, my whole argument.

I am sorry if I have not been clear about this, but it seems to me that this is all just steps on a road (the irony of that analogy is not lost on me, after all, apparently us blokes aren't good at asking for directions Smiley  ).

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #469 - May 30th, 2015 at 9:25am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 7:16am:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 5:17pm:
As I stated before, those in power are usually there for a reason: skilled, knowledgeable, wealthy, intelligent, outgoing, extroverted, courageous, confident.

That was a fairly stupid and inaccurate position to take the first time around, it is no smarter now.

More often than not, those in power are their because of nothing more than their personal desire and their predatory instinct.

Personal desire and a "predatory instinct" will only get you so far. Perhaps they would work with the homeboys and street gangs, but they will not get you running a successful business, coaching a football team, teaching students, or running an organisation. In each situation, leaders need to possess people skills, knowledge, and confidence. Leaders who possess none of those are quickly found out as imposters and will lose respect of the employees, players, students, and members. Have you seen a football team crumble when they lose respect of the coach? Have you seen a classroom when the students figure out that the teacher does not know the subject matter? Can Greenpeace operate on brute force toward its members and donors? 

The feminists' obsession with the reduction of all situations to power relations fails to take into account the ideas and/or reasons for why a power structure is in place to begin with. They see a power imbalance and that men happen to be in charge and then make the assumption that it's some sort of patriarchal conspiracy. As stated before, such a statement isn't a refutation. At best, it is only description, and that is only if the description is accurate!  

The Royal Commission into child sexual abuse kinda shoots a bit of a whole in that.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #470 - May 30th, 2015 at 9:32am

Emma wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 1:35am:
We demonstrate different strengths and weaknesses in performing a range of tasks attuned to our survival, generally along gender based lines in nature....

What?

You have plenty to say, and I am asking you where you actually  'root' yourself.

Rather,   you are trying to say we both, female AND male, are provided with 'different' but equal, inequalities.? HMmm?

Of concern to me ,though, is that you might actually have this as your paradigm. . Is this your core belief.? 
Maybe you believe you really are superior to a female, just because you are a male.  I 've heard that one before, believe me.!

Spare us your obfuscation and answer, in the spirit of open communication.... else we will be forced to come to our own conclusions.
I know how much fun  being enigmatic can be .  It really just comes naturally, doesn't it.?
Smiley

I think that I have been clear to be honest. Further, I am not "obfuscating" at all.

Once again, I am sorry if I have not been clear to you.

However, to be fair (to me) you took one sentence that you did not agree with. I have already pointed out why that sentence was firstly relevant but, also, that it was not an a description of "my position" in its entirety.

So, that ONE sentence is not my core belief and, since we are being frank - it appears somewhat disingenuous to even suggest it, given the overall context.

You are never forced to come to any conclusion by the way, your conclusions are always totally your choice regardless of information at hand, facts available, context, rationality or further explanation. I am sure we all like to be "understood" but at the end of the day, it is not a pre-requisite to getting on with life.

I would love us to reach some understanding, hence, I have written more in with that end in mind, however, when your words already indicate a clear conclusion please spare me the  inherent threat of being "forced" to come to a conclusion.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #471 - May 30th, 2015 at 9:42am

mothra wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 5:56pm:
I am sure that some "feminists" argue for equality across the board, despite that being impossible in nature....

Some.

However, for the main part "equality" that the feminist movement strives for is about opportunity. I know that then becomes a messy idea for those who would argue in favour of the present inequitable situation though, because it is a fair, logical and irrefutable position to hold.

Physically, emotionally and developmentally we are (in a general sense) different. Does different though automatically become a default position of inequality?

It seems to me that taking a strengths based viewpoint then, once again the "equality" argument becomes a bit fraut.

CW is right, we are not all equal and, this is not just on the basis of gender, however, it would be disingenuous
to suggest that this somehow refutes any/all arguments about equality on the basis of opportunity.

I once got into a rather heated debate with a feminist a generation older than myself about what equality should and can mean. She was from the older, more Marxist inspired branch of feminism than myself and argued passionately that equality required equal expectations and opportunities without exception.

I am more inclined to view feminism as being less about women and men per se, rather about the masculine and the feminine. This embraces the continuum a little better i believe an rep-resents more people. There are some men who are ostracised for having feminine qualities and women who are ostracised because of masculine qualities, although the intent behind the criticism is starkly different.In society, feminine qualities are considered to be of lesser worth than masculine qualities; and as such the feminine is under-represented and under-resourced. Men and women can both suffer from this and not presented with equal opportunity despite having the skills and innate qualities.

For example, men working in caring and nurturing professions are often viewed with suspicion despite that man being caring and nurturing by nature. It explains why women fare better in the family courts. Women are overlooked for physical jobs, despite the fact that many women are quite strong and resilient enough to accomplish them. It explains why women rarely get into positions of power.

The effects of this dynamic are more sinister when applied to society en masse of course. The masculine is seen as powerful and elite. Certain types of men, therefore, hold the balance of power.

It's not all men. It's very rarely a woman.

This is the patriarchy. It keeps both men and women down.

I am curious, what would this patriarchy be replaced with.

To be clear, I am not saying that a patriarchy mentality is not still pervasive in our culture. However, it seems to me that at our present state of development we have two options we will have a patriarchy or a matriarchy - now to my mind that seems that either way we go there we still have power imbalances based on nothing more than social constructs driven by gender inequality... Limited freedom.

I guess we all need to be clear on if we are getting equal or just getting even...

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #472 - May 30th, 2015 at 11:10pm

Phemanderac wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 9:32am:

What?

Smiley

I think that I have been clear to be honest. Further, I am not "obfuscating" at all.

However, to be fair (to me) you took one sentence that you did not agree with. I have already pointed out why that sentence was firstly relevant but, also, that it was not an a description of "my position" in its entirety.

So, that ONE sentence is not my core belief and, since we are being frank - it appears somewhat disingenuous to even suggest it, given the overall context.

You are never forced to come to any conclusion by the way, your conclusions are always totally your choice regardless of information at hand, facts available, context, rationality or further explanation. I am sure we all like to be "understood" but at the end of the day, it is not a pre-requisite to getting on with life.

I would love us to reach some understanding, hence, I have written more in with that end in mind, however, when your words already indicate a clear conclusion please spare me the  inherent threat of being "forced" to come to a conclusion.

Thanks for your considered reply PhD. 
From all that you have said,  I still don't see where you have acknowledged that our differences don't equal inequality on the basis of the physical being. ( your words suggest the opposite)
I will, however, accept in good faith, that you do NOT consider women inferior due to physical or mental attributes.

I will conclude that you see our respective weaknesses as compatible, and equal. In Nature and Now.

Have I put your position correctly, and succinctly.?

Sad that you can't just come out and say so. Please advise if I have reached the wrong conclusion. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #473 - May 30th, 2015 at 11:46pm

Phemanderac wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 9:42am:
To be clear, I am not saying that a patriarchy mentality is not still pervasive in our culture. However, it seems to me that at our present state of development we have two options we will have a patriarchy or a matriarchy - now to my mind that seems that either way we go there we still have power imbalances based on nothing more than social constructs driven by gender inequality... Limited freedom.

I guess we all need to be clear on if we are getting equal or just getting even...

Yep we need to be clear about this.
You seem to be locked into this vs a vs male/female rut.
And you never did answer my question, just slid around it with meaningless statements.

Only YOU are suggesting it can only be a matriarchy or a patriarchy.  Most women can see both male and female working together. That is what we would love to be reality.

Instead we face men like you who can only think in the male/female dichotomy. As you would  put it.. 'The  inequity of nature'.  Roll Eyes Whatever that actually means IN THIS CONTEXT. You HAVE NOT been clear on this.

As such, this requires a response from those who see things on a broader base, and guys,  it has to be said.!!
Women are much more inclusive than Men.  Smiley 

live every day

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #474 - May 31st, 2015 at 12:41am

Emma wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 11:10pm:
Phemanderac wrote on May 30th, 2015 at 9:32am:

What?

Smiley

Thanks for your considered reply PhD. 
From all that you have said,  I still don't see where you have acknowledged that our differences don't equal inequality on the basis of the physical being. ( your words suggest the opposite)
I will, however, accept in good faith, that you do NOT consider women inferior due to physical or mental attributes.

I will conclude that you see our respective weaknesses as compatible, and equal. In Nature and Now.

Have I put your position correctly, and succinctly.?

Sad that you can't just come out and say so. Please advise if I have reached the wrong conclusion. Smiley

Because, our natural differences do not make us unequal.

" I will, however, accept in good faith, that you do NOT consider women inferior due to physical or mental attributes."

More is the pity that you cannot see that is exactly how it is. I have not at any point inferred that I consider women inferior. As I see it, and very simply put, we are two different genders of the same species. Some things blokes are "more equal" (if you like) and some things women are "more equal" at, at least right until we run into social constructs that, for the main fail to recognize and acknowledge the strengths of one gender...

I think it is our respective strengths that are compatible, I suspect the equality bit should flow back and forth to some degree...

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #475 - May 31st, 2015 at 7:57pm

so  to simplify. we are in agreement. Women and Men are equal in their inequality. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #476 - May 31st, 2015 at 8:27pm

But that isn't what you are saying is it.?
No.
You are saying given the 'nature' of the differences, social constructs have arisen over the millenia to further those differences. You are saying that in reality, women are inferior to males, in the context of the modern world. IE  Patriarchy.

Furthermore you imply that a patriarchy is somehow preferable to a matriarchy, which hasn't been proposed by anyone other than you by the way.

Mothra wants to be rid of the patriarchy, as do I. 
I mean look at the WORLD..  Brought to you by Male RULE.

It is really is time to leave our animal selves behind and look to the greater good. !

live every day

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #477 - May 31st, 2015 at 10:52pm

Emma wrote on May 31st, 2015 at 7:57pm:
so  to simplify. we are in agreement. Women and Men are equal in their inequality. Smiley

Not sure about that.... Undecided

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #478 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 1:01am

me either

live every day

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #479 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 1:26am

Emma wrote on Jun 1st, 2015 at 1:01am:
me either

Then we are in agreement lol.

Seriously, you know what I reckon?

Women should just get over it and get on with it.

Why?

Well, we know that any real, long term sustainable changes in male/female inequality must start from the bottom up...ie from within the home. Any other way provokes a battleground which ultimately wastes time and energy....OUR time and energy.

Life's too short and all that....

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 59
Send Topic Print